PDA

View Full Version : Please Help

jotb
03-19-2012, 03:48 PM
By mistake I used a dell recovery disc on a gateway machine..I don't have my gateway recovery disc..It did recover windows but then what happened was when the machine restarted it gave me an option of which windows to choose from on the black screen..When I chose the recover version I didn't have any modem connection so I went back to my original windows screen and the modem was there but internet explorer didn't work..I got the error message Appver6.02900.5512 MODNAME URLMON.DLL mod version 8.0.6001.19072 offset 0003E542..Have no idea what this means..Is there a way to manually fix this problem without a CD and without getting on the internet...Any help appreciated..

Joe

JustRalph
03-19-2012, 05:32 PM
If you dont have a recovery dsk for the gateway, you are going to have to buy a copy of windows.

But first make sure that it came with a disk. Most have the recovery built into the hard drive on a seperate partition. My gateway didn't come with the disk. make sure you go to the website and review how to recover that model machine.

If it says you need a disk you can call them and they may send you one for a nominal fee. Or they may tell you, you have to buy a copy of Windows. Some places actually let you download the recovery. get that straight first.

Hopefully the recovery disk you ran did not destroy the partition that contains the original files! If it was there at all.

Native Texan III
03-19-2012, 07:37 PM
An alternative is to get a friend to burn a live Linux CD for you. That will boot into Linux temporarily and your internet will be restored. Any important files can be downloaded to a USB drive or CD if not already done so. You can then download from Gateway the correct drivers for your modem onto a USB drive and see if installing that driver when you run Windows cures your Windows problem. Otherwise install Linux permanently depending on usage.

You will have to obtain the "Gateway" hardware drivers at some stage even if you buy a copy of Windows. If you have XP then you can no longer buy from Microsoft, so try ebay.

HUSKER55
03-19-2012, 07:39 PM
It has been a while but if memory serves there is a way to get into system restore from the the keyboard, f12? you may have to contact the manufactorer to find out how or try calling a local repair shop.

good luck

wilderness
03-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Your machine came with a license sticker from the seller, which offers your Windows serial number.
that's your only requirement for licensing.

A computer professional, even one in a small shop will be able to install Windows using that license and and serial number.
They will also have a disk which determines and installs all the necessary drivers your computer requires.

Some of these shops over-charge in pricing, while others are quite reasonable (less than $50).

FWIW, I'd suggest when having a pro install that you request a "standard windows install" and eliminate all the Gateway crap entirely. It's perfectly legal, however and if, you still have Gateway warranty, a Gateway install would be necessary.

Red Knave
03-19-2012, 10:35 PM
I got the error message Appver6.02900.5512 MODNAME URLMON.DLL mod version 8.0.6001.19072 offset 0003E542..Have no idea what this means..Is there a way to manually fix this problem without a CD and without getting on the internet
You are in what is known as "DLL Hell".
You have some Windows/IE components that are from different versions of Windows/IE.
Download something like Firefox or Google Chrome and install that. If you like it, and it works then leave things alone.
Otherwise, un-install IE and re-download the most recent IE version for your version of Windows and install that. If that works, and you're happy with it, then good job. Otherwise, go back to Firefox/Chrome and get used to it.

The alternative is to do a virgin install of Windows and re-install all your other apps.

TimesTheyRAChangin
03-23-2012, 06:43 PM
I got the error message Appver6.02900.5512 MODNAME URLMON.DLL mod version 8.0.6001.19072 offset 0003E542..Have no idea what this means.

FWIW,most error messages can be cut & pasted into Google to find out what the problem is.

jotb
04-01-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm so sorry for not replying earlier..That same day when I started this thread I went ahead and uninstalled IE8 and it automatically went back to the original IE6 which then allowed me to get back on the internet..Not sure if I did it right but it does work now..I just want to thank everyone for their help..

Thanks again,
Joe