PDA

View Full Version : Inaccurate sports cliches/sayings

PhantomOnTour
03-18-2012, 12:38 PM
This just chaps my hide.

Always hear football guys talk about "Catching the ball at it's highest point"
You'd have to be one hell of a leaper to catch the ball at it's highest point.
Shouldn't they say, "Catch the ball at HIS highest point?"
IOW, the apex of his leap?

See Asante Samuel in the 1st Pats-Giants Super Bowl. He had the game won with a pick but miss-timed his jump and wasn't at HIS highest point when the ball got to him...it went over his head.

Also, every non racing sports announcer thinks the 1/4 pole is one fourth of the way through the season...embarrassing.

I won't get into the totally wrong Heisman pose everyone and his mom strikes...look at the trophy...he ain't standing there like Bill Cosby with one leg up and one hand down to the side as if holding off a tackler.

Alright I'm done....

chickenhead
03-18-2012, 12:58 PM
one that is widely claimed to be false is anything regarding "being in the zone". Statisticians for decades have claimed the "zone" doesn't exist, it's merely the expected bunching of similiar results that occur a small percentage of the time during any random process - no different than a long string a black turning up at a roulette table.

Having played sports I have to disagree, but I could have been fooled I guess.

Valuist
03-18-2012, 06:24 PM
One that I find annoying is when college fans shout "overrated" when their squad beats a higher rated or regarded foe. Basically they are diminishing their own team's accomplishment by saying the opponent wasn't that good.

Canarsie
03-19-2012, 12:03 PM
When a home team announcer calls it a monumental upset playing on their own court. They don't call it home field advantage for the heck of it. A weaker team can play their 'A" game when you least expect it.

Valuist
03-19-2012, 12:14 PM
When a home team announcer calls it a monumental upset playing on their own court. They don't call it home field advantage for the heck of it. A weaker team can play their 'A" game when you least expect it.

How about this: team A, who's is ranked, loses to team B. The actual betting favorite is team B. ESPN and the media call the game an upset.

cj's dad
03-19-2012, 12:17 PM
How 'bout this one;

"He gave 110% today"

No he didn't, if he gave his all it was 100%

Valuist
03-19-2012, 12:21 PM
How 'bout this one;

"He gave 110% today"

No he didn't, if he gave his all it was 100%

Baseball's 90% mental. The other 50% is physical.
Y. Berra

Marlin
03-19-2012, 12:38 PM
The "chip shot" field goal. 97% of chip shots don't go in the cup like basically xtra point kicks do. Shouldn't it really be called the "three foot putt" field goal?

PhantomOnTour
03-19-2012, 12:48 PM
The "chip shot" field goal. 97% of chip shots don't go in the cup like basically xtra point kicks do. Shouldn't it really be called the "three foot putt" field goal?
Nice one :D :D

Canarsie
03-19-2012, 02:40 PM
How about this: team A, who's is ranked, loses to team B. The actual betting favorite is team B. ESPN and the media call the game an upset.

You said it much better than me well done. That's exactly what I meant.

DJofSD
03-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Golf: a ball lips out -- does not go into the hole, it rides the edge, does a little "circling of the drain" but comes out. When it is on a line to the hole then lips out right back towards the golfer, they call it a 360 as in 360 degrees. Nope, that was only 180 degrees. Bugs the livin' you-know-what our of me.

dav4463
03-19-2012, 02:53 PM
It's hard to beat the same team three times in one year is said a lot. Usually the team that won the first two wins the third.

kingfin66
03-19-2012, 04:00 PM
A tie goes to the runner.

The hands are part of the bat.

Bettowin
03-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Golf: a ball lips out -- does not go into the hole, it rides the edge, does a little "circling of the drain" but comes out. When it is on a line to the hole then lips out right back towards the golfer, they call it a 360 as in 360 degrees. Nope, that was only 180 degrees. Bugs the livin' you-know-what our of me.

Huh? A full circle is 360 degrees. When the ball hits the hole in one spot circles the hole and comes to the point it first touched the edge of the hole isn't that 360 degrees?

What am I missing?

Zydeco
03-19-2012, 05:11 PM
if it was 360 degrees it would circle and go past the hole......it is 180 if it comes back toward the golfer.

Greyfox
03-19-2012, 05:44 PM

It's 360 in the Algebra class that I took.

NJ Stinks
03-19-2012, 09:12 PM
When I umpired baseball and softball, our umpire association had this saying:

"When in doubt - he's out!"

No doubt it was inaccurately adhered to at times. ;)

Pace Cap'n
03-19-2012, 09:44 PM

Actually, its a 360 because the ball described a circle before heading back your way. Had it gone straight, stopped, and rolled back it would be a 180.

DJofSD
03-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Actually, its a 360 because the ball described a circle before heading back your way. Had it gone straight, stopped, and rolled back it would be a 180.

Where did I say it described a complete circle?

The ball is putted towards the hole. It rides the edge of the hole and comes out. The direction it is traveling when it comes away from the hole is back towards the golfer. That's one half of a circle or 180 degrees.

If the ball were to be putted, run completely around the edge then leave the cup to continue on the same line rolling away from the golfer, that's 360 degrees.

bks
03-20-2012, 01:12 AM
In basketball, good defenders don't "leave their feet."

But I've never seen anyone do that.

rastajenk
03-20-2012, 09:52 AM
How about getting your ticket punched to get to the Big Dance?

Ticket punching is kind of transportation reference, is it not? Busses, trains, subways. If you did obtain a ticket to a social event, it probably was merely collected at the door.

I think the modern metaphor should be "getting your ticket scanned and being relieved that it's not counterfeit." :)

dav4463
03-20-2012, 12:35 PM
I hate when tennis announcers say, "that was a good get". "Get" is not a noun.

johnhannibalsmith
03-20-2012, 12:43 PM
When, before a fight of any kind in any sport, the announcer declares that the two men "have squared off!"

...and they then proceed to circle one another for ninety seconds before a punch is thrown.

DJofSD
03-20-2012, 01:14 PM
I hate when tennis announcers say, "that was a good get". "Get" is not a noun.
Actually, it is a noun, and, in my old college dictionary, definition 3 for the noun form is for that use of the word: retrieving of a shot seemingly out of reach.

Not trying to bust any one's chops, just correcting a mistake.

Valuist
03-20-2012, 05:39 PM
In basketball, good defenders don't "leave their feet."

But I've never seen anyone do that.

A defender not going for a fake and trying to make a highlight reel block? It happens. Maybe not all defenders but it does happen.

Valuist
03-20-2012, 05:40 PM
How about getting your ticket punched to get to the Big Dance?

Ticket punching is kind of transportation reference, is it not? Busses, trains, subways. If you did obtain a ticket to a social event, it probably was merely collected at the door.

I think the modern metaphor should be "getting your ticket scanned and being relieved that it's not counterfeit." :)

How about over-use of "Big Dance"? Its not dancing with the stars, or dancing w/the collegians. Its a tournament.

GameTheory
03-20-2012, 06:41 PM
A defender not going for a fake and trying to make a highlight reel block? It happens. Maybe not all defenders but it does happen.I think he meant they don't literally leave their feet -- detach them from their body. They do often leave the ground though...

wisconsin
03-20-2012, 07:08 PM
My favorite, to describe someone as "being in a zone", is calling someone "Unconscious" in their effort.

Other goofy cliches:

He took the ball and ran with it.

The goalie was doing handstands.

Gut check time.

He's off to the races. (Must be heading to the track)

And then there's the all time classic "X" Factor.

Robert Goren
03-20-2012, 07:45 PM
I hate when tennis announcers say, "that was a good get". "Get" is not a noun. "Get" is also a tennis term. It has a specific meaning, the return of the ball. Get is used as a noun in at least one other instance that I know of. "Get" is the offspring of a male animal. As in the following sentence. The get of Native Dancer are good mudders.

nomadpat
03-20-2012, 09:43 PM
The one I don't get is when people say: "Taking it one game/day at a time". Is it possible it play more than game at a time? :confused:

dav4463
03-21-2012, 01:31 AM
"Get" is also a tennis term. It has a specific meaning, the return of the ball. Get is used as a noun in at least one other instance that I know of. "Get" is the offspring of a male animal. As in the following sentence. The get of Native Dancer are good mudders.

I stand corrected, but it still doesn't sound right!

KingChas
03-21-2012, 11:32 AM
As the cars take the green flag to start each race, Waltrip shouts "Boogity Boogity Boogity!".

A meaningless phrase.

Robert Fischer
03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Feel Free to disagree ...

Offense sells tickets... Defense wins championships...

Then you see many many times the dominant offensive team win championships ! :D

wisconsin
03-21-2012, 01:56 PM
As the cars take the green flag to start each race, Waltrip shouts "Boogity Boogity Boogity!".

A meaningless phrase.

Ray Stevens sung this in "The Streak"

Here he comes BOOGITY BOOGITY
There he goes BOOGITY BOOGITY

Must be southern slang for running or moving fast.

Valuist
03-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Feel Free to disagree ...

Offense sells tickets... Defense wins championships...

Then you see many many times the dominant offensive team win championships ! :D

Disagree. Who were the dominant offenses in the NFL last year? The Saints, Pats and Packers. Great for winning regular season games but none got the ring.

In the past 10 years, the Yankees have always been one of the top hitting teams. One World Series in that time.

The Heat clearly had the top offense team in the NBA last season. Again, great for winning regular season games but taken down in the finals.

Its been that way for years. And I expect it will be that way for many years to come.

PhantomOnTour
03-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Disagree. Who were the dominant offenses in the NFL last year? The Saints, Pats and Packers. Great for winning regular season games but none got the ring.

In the past 10 years, the Yankees have always been one of the top hitting teams. One World Series in that time.

The Heat clearly had the top offense team in the NBA last season. Again, great for winning regular season games but taken down in the finals.

Its been that way for years. And I expect it will be that way for many years to come.
Right on...it's ALWAYS about the D.
That's why mediocre pitchers in baseball make millions...ANYTHING to stop the other team from scoring.

The New Jersey Devils practically ruined the NHL with their trap D that made things boring, but was effective.

OTM Al
03-21-2012, 03:47 PM

In the 10 years before that the Braves were the top pitching team. One World Series in all that time.

You can't count baseball like the other sports as there is no way for the defense to score, or transition to score as you will depending how you want to class a turnover in basketball. So you can have the best defense and pitching there is, but if you can't score yourself, you aren't going to do very well. Well rounded teams win championships, not just the defensive half of the team.

cj
03-22-2012, 12:02 AM

The Heat were not even close to the top offense last year. They are a great defensive team though.

Valuist
03-22-2012, 12:05 AM
The Heat were not even close to the top offense last year. They are a great defensive team though.

In terms of offensive efficiency per Hollinger's ratings, they were 3rd last year. And first this year:

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/year/2011

Valuist
03-22-2012, 12:09 AM
In the 10 years before that the Braves were the top pitching team. One World Series in all that time.

You can't count baseball like the other sports as there is no way for the defense to score, or transition to score as you will depending how you want to class a turnover in basketball. So you can have the best defense and pitching there is, but if you can't score yourself, you aren't going to do very well. Well rounded teams win championships, not just the defensive half of the team.

First off, PREVENTING scoring is significant in all sports. Yes I would agree well rounded teams win championships, but if a team is skewed to one way, they better be good defensively.

The NFL was the perfect example this year with NO, GB and NE all having very strong offenses and poor pass defense. Good enough to get by in the regular season, but not good enough to win the Super Bowl.

And if anyone Pats fan starts crying about Gostkowski, the Pats shouldn't have even been in the Super Bowl (and same could be said for the Giants as well). Could've easily been an all-Harbaugh Super Bowl.

cj
03-22-2012, 12:10 AM
In terms of offensive efficiency per Hollinger's ratings, they were 3rd last year. And first this year:

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/year/2011

Having seen Hollinger's "Power Ratings" over the years, I'm not going to give any made up stat by him much credence.

The Heat were 8th in scoring. Regardless, no knowledgeable fan would argue they don't have a great defense. I'm sure you know a HUGE part of their offense is generated by the great defense that they play. They had a better defense than Dallas last year. They lost because the Mavs had better offense...Dirk.

Greyfox
03-22-2012, 12:12 AM
In horse racing you'll here handicappers say:

"That horse was bred by Frank Stronach."

(Silent aside to self: "Really.")

dav4463
03-22-2012, 12:13 AM

Spurs have won four titles in the decade with defense and team play.

Mavs beat Heat because they played as a team and added Tyson Chandler. Chandler gave them the missing part of a championship team: DEFENSE! Chandler is gone now and Mavs are back to their old inconsistent ways.

Heat played one on one depending on who had the ball.

cj
03-22-2012, 12:17 AM
Spurs have won four titles in the decade with defense.

Lets not get carried away, it was three. I'm not saying that defense is important, just that the Heat were a bad example because they play terrific defense.

johnhannibalsmith
03-22-2012, 12:47 AM
I was going to complain about the expression "beat him like a rented mule", but thanks to google, I guess I won't.

http://www.philsanimalrentals.com/mules.html

OTM Al
03-22-2012, 09:09 AM
First off, PREVENTING scoring is significant in all sports. Yes I would agree well rounded teams win championships, but if a team is skewed to one way, they better be good defensively.

Thing is though, an excellent defender in baseball may prevent around 1 run a month that the average defender would not, and this doesn't even consider if that run even matters. I remember how much Mets fans loved Rey Ordonez because of his defensive ability (way overrated in my book, more flash than anything) but he hurt the team far worse than he helped them because he was a black hole in the lineup. Get a couple of guys like that on the team and you have instant rally kill when you get to the bottom half of the order as there is no reason to pitch to the guys in front of them. In baseball, pitching and defense are exactly half the game.

In football however, the defense thing has much more validity as the defense affects where the offense start its possession, thus increasing the likelihood of scoring, as well as the ability to actually score itself.

Valuist
03-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Having seen Hollinger's "Power Ratings" over the years, I'm not going to give any made up stat by him much credence.

The Heat were 8th in scoring. Regardless, no knowledgeable fan would argue they don't have a great defense. I'm sure you know a HUGE part of their offense is generated by the great defense that they play. They had a better defense than Dallas last year. They lost because the Mavs had better offense...Dirk.

Points scored and points allowed is largely a function of game tempo. An average team can put up big numbers due to more possessions.

Over the last 2 seasons, there's no better offensive team than the Heat. They had some adjustment issues last year, but the fact they are number 1 this year backs up what we knew all along: nobody is more talented offensively and it was only a matter of time to prove that.

They are capable of playing great defense; we saw what they did to Derrick Rose in the Eastern finals last year. Capable is the key word because I don't believe they play defense like they can every night.

Valuist
03-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Thing is though, an excellent defender in baseball may prevent around 1 run a month that the average defender would not, and this doesn't even consider if that run even matters. I remember how much Mets fans loved Rey Ordonez because of his defensive ability (way overrated in my book, more flash than anything) but he hurt the team far worse than he helped them because he was a black hole in the lineup. Get a couple of guys like that on the team and you have instant rally kill when you get to the bottom half of the order as there is no reason to pitch to the guys in front of them. In baseball, pitching and defense are exactly half the game.

In football however, the defense thing has much more validity as the defense affects where the offense start its possession, thus increasing the likelihood of scoring, as well as the ability to actually score itself.

In baseball you are focusing strictly on the fielders. You are forgetting about the most important defensive player in baseball: the pitcher. A good pitcher prevents FAR MORE than 1 run a month.

I aree with your last point, and would add basketball to the mix as well as the defense a team plays (i.e. Miami and Chicago come to mind) can shape its offense.

Valuist
03-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Here's another set of offensive efficiency stats, from Team Rankings.com, which I prefer. Actually Miami was 4th offensively in their rankings in 2010-2011 but still one ahead of Dallas.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/offensive-efficiency?date=2011-06-12

cj
03-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Points scored and points allowed is largely a function of game tempo. An average team can put up big numbers due to more possessions.

Over the last 2 seasons, there's no better offensive team than the Heat. They had some adjustment issues last year, but the fact they are number 1 this year backs up what we knew all along: nobody is more talented offensively and it was only a matter of time to prove that.

They are capable of playing great defense; we saw what they did to Derrick Rose in the Eastern finals last year. Capable is the key word because I don't believe they play defense like they can every night.

I would still say that a large portion of their offense is a direct result of great defense. They are not a very good team in the half court any way you want to slice it. Again though, the point is they play great defense so using them as an example was flawed.

Valuist
03-22-2012, 10:44 AM
I would still say that a large portion of their offense is a direct result of great defense. They are not a very good team in the half court any way you want to slice it. Again though, the point is they play great defense so using them as an example was flawed.

Part of what you are saying is correct: when the Heat want to, they can play great defense. But defense isn't what got Lebron and D-Wade the big contracts.

Back to my original point, we've seen too many offensive juggernauts struggle when the post-season arrives. Defensive performance tends to be more consistant, and therefore, more reliable.

PhantomOnTour
03-22-2012, 10:52 AM
In the postseason most refs let a little more contact go unpenalized, so the D gains a bit of an advantage there...in the NFL, NHL and NBA.
Also, in football, the weather changes and some games are destined to be ruled by the D simply because of the weather.

That being said, i still believe in D.

If given the choice which one would y'all prefer:
Top notch D with below average O
Top notch O with below average D

Gimme the D!

OTM Al
03-22-2012, 11:34 AM
In baseball you are focusing strictly on the fielders. You are forgetting about the most important defensive player in baseball: the pitcher. A good pitcher prevents FAR MORE than 1 run a month.

I aree with your last point, and would add basketball to the mix as well as the defense a team plays (i.e. Miami and Chicago come to mind) can shape its offense.

More, but not far more. A good starting pitcher in the AL has an ERA of 3 to 3.5, an average one around 4 to 4.5. Make about 5 starts a month, maybe a 4 run a month difference. Of course those numbers are averaged across good and bad hitting teams, so when facing a good hitting team as you will in the playoffs usually, that number is less. Bad hitting teams get thoroughly exposed in such situations.

So yes, strong pitching is very important, but so is strong hitting as a line up.

Valuist
03-22-2012, 12:13 PM
In the postseason most refs let a little more contact go unpenalized, so the D gains a bit of an advantage there...in the NFL, NHL and NBA.
Also, in football, the weather changes and some games are destined to be ruled by the D simply because of the weather.

That being said, i still believe in D.

If given the choice which one would y'all prefer:
Top notch D with below average O
Top notch O with below average D

Gimme the D!

Agree 100%.

Valuist
03-22-2012, 12:15 PM
More, but not far more. A good starting pitcher in the AL has an ERA of 3 to 3.5, an average one around 4 to 4.5. Make about 5 starts a month, maybe a 4 run a month difference. Of course those numbers are averaged across good and bad hitting teams, so when facing a good hitting team as you will in the playoffs usually, that number is less. Bad hitting teams get thoroughly exposed in such situations.

So yes, strong pitching is very important, but so is strong hitting as a line up.

Are you a Yankee fan? Your team has had some damned strong lineups over the past 10 years or so. But only one ring. For decades the Red Sox had a lineup that would put a major hurt on opponents yet it took over 90 years to get a title (and steroids, too).

We have left hockey out of the argument so far but give me the team with the superior goaltender.

OTM Al
03-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Are you a Yankee fan? Your team has had some damned strong lineups over the past 10 years or so. But only one ring. For decades the Red Sox had a lineup that would put a major hurt on opponents yet it took over 90 years to get a title (and steroids, too).

We have left hockey out of the argument so far but give me the team with the superior goaltender.

Can't talk to hockey as I don't know the game well enough. Have seen very good goalies get picked to pieces though because the guys in front of him can't get enough stops.

Yes, the Yankees have had strong lineups. The only year though of those 10 where I think they should have won but didn't was 2003. But now that you've tried to demonstrate that pitching is the most important part of pitching and defense, something I will agree with, how then can you explain the Braves only winning once in their 10 year run if that is so much more important? It just goes back to it. You need a complete and well rounded team to win. Neither side is more important than the other. The well balanced good team allows less runs and scores more than the average. You need both to win. Even then sometimes you don't, 1990 comes to mind.

If you want to talk purely the defensive side of the ball, then I'd much rather have excellent picthing and average defense than the reverse for the reasons stated above. But without good hitting as well, neither of those is going anywhere on average.

Valuist
03-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Can't talk to hockey as I don't know the game well enough. Have seen very good goalies get picked to pieces though because the guys in front of him can't get enough stops.

Yes, the Yankees have had strong lineups. The only year though of those 10 where I think they should have won but didn't was 2003. But now that you've tried to demonstrate that pitching is the most important part of pitching and defense, something I will agree with, how then can you explain the Braves only winning once in their 10 year run if that is so much more important? It just goes back to it. You need a complete and well rounded team to win. Neither side is more important than the other. The well balanced good team allows less runs and scores more than the average. You need both to win. Even then sometimes you don't, 1990 comes to mind.

If you want to talk purely the defensive side of the ball, then I'd much rather have excellent picthing and average defense than the reverse for the reasons stated above. But without good hitting as well, neither of those is going anywhere on average.

There's no argument balance is the best. But rarely are both offense and defense are equally good. There's always some inbalance. Like Phantom on Tour said, you gotta be strong defensively given a choice between the two. You don't want to be "bad" offensively but average to slightly above is good enough if you are strong on the other side. A strong offense w/bad defense doesn't win.

When I listen to guys like Malinsky, Sevransky or Cokin break down a game, they are always talking about who is superior defensively. The public is always on the stronger offense.

dav4463
03-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Lets not get carried away, it was three. I'm not saying that defense is important, just that the Heat were a bad example because they play terrific defense.

I meant four titles in less than ten years. 1999 was also part of this run.

In hockey....normally the key to winning in the playoffs is being able to ride a "hot" goalie......defense!

Valuist
03-24-2012, 12:36 PM
We will have a good example of the classic offense vs defense matchup later today in the Florida/Louisville matchup. Here are the offensive and defensive efficiency rankings, per teamrankings.com:

Offense: Florida 7th Louisville 178th
Defense: Florida 90th Louisville 3rd

Robert Fischer
03-24-2012, 02:10 PM
We will have a good example of the classic offense vs defense matchup later today in the Florida/Louisville matchup. Here are the offensive and defensive efficiency rankings, per teamrankings.com:

Florida is favored by only about 1 point , looks like a good example.

:jump:offense.. offense..:jump:

Greyfox
03-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Sports sayings: (the subject of the thread by the way)

Horse Racing: When a handicapper says that a female jockey
"has a live mount today" ..... sounds filthy.

Hockey: "He's been charged for boarding." (Sounds like the rent is due.)

Curling: "Oops. They burned a stone."
(Stones don't burn except under intense heat.)

Baseball: "We have a double-header today." (Sounds akin to Siamese twins.)

Football : "He's bootlegging." (The Prohibition is over.)

PhantomOnTour
03-25-2012, 09:55 AM

Louisville shoots a lower FG% and FT% but beats the offensively minded Gators....hmmm...

D

Gators went cold...which happens to offense much more than defense

Robert Fischer
03-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Louisville shoots a lower FG% and FT% but beats the offensively minded Gators....hmmm...

D

Gators went cold...which happens to offense much more than defense

Florida lost by 4 and shot only 12-18 from the free throw line.

To be fair you defensive fanatics won this round. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Marlin
03-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Thing is though, an excellent defender in baseball may prevent around 1 run a month that the average defender would not, and this doesn't even consider if that run even matters.This stat is at least five fold wrong. I can argue an excellent "defender" can save at least 5 runs a month and probably closer to ten runs than an average defender. Your stat is way wrong.

Valuist
03-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Florida lost by 4 and shot only 12-18 from the free throw line.

To be fair you defensive fanatics won this round. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Florida was out of their mind from beyond the arc, 8 of 11, in the first half. They play again there's no way they shoot that. But 12 of 18 from the line? So what, that's 67%. What's typical for NCAA, 70%? Not unusual at all.

Robert Fischer
03-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Florida was out of their mind from beyond the arc, 8 of 11, in the first half. They play again there's no way they shoot that. But 12 of 18 from the line? So what, that's 67%. What's typical for NCAA, 70%? Not unusual at all.

No. Probably about avg for the team.
Louisville proved best.
And to be completely fair it was i think 5pts including the spread.

It stood out because of the margin of victory and the fact that Louisville, the defensive team hit 80% from the line.

Valuist
03-26-2012, 12:27 AM
No. Probably about avg for the team.
Louisville proved best.
And to be completely fair it was i think 5pts including the spread.

It stood out because of the margin of victory and the fact that Louisville, the defensive team hit 80% from the line.

Come next Saturday it won't matter. I don't think either Florida or Louisville would be able to beat Kentucky. Kentucky is as good defensively as L-ville but they are a whole lot better on the offensive side.

Valuist
10-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Defense DOES win. The Saints are loaded with talent on the offensive side of the ball. But they might as well have 11 cardboard cutouts on defense. Sorry Saints fans, no playoffs this year.