PDA

View Full Version : Ohio sen drops "N" word as an adjective....

newtothegame
03-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Gee, I wonder if the left will be calling for his dismisal?

Sen. Sherrod Brown denounces ‘niggardly’ colleagues (http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/15/sen-sherrod-brown-denounces-niggardly-colleagues/)

Published: 6:27 PM 03/15/2012

“Of course we’re falling short,” he said. “There’s plenty of people, as you know Matt, in this Congress that will always send a blank check when it comes to spending money on defense, on war, but are a little bit more niggardly, if you will, on spending money on the actual veterans when they come home. And that means we don’t greet them well enough in terms of getting them the right testing when they’re back in Coshocton, or Cleveland, or Lima, Ohio.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/15/sen-sherrod-brown-denounces-niggardly-colleagues/#ixzz1pLPTFq4M

johnhannibalsmith
03-17-2012, 12:31 AM
I remember a few years ago some staffer somewhere being fired or resigning for using the word and it was bullshit then. The fact that it sounds like a racial epithet doesn't make it one.

newtothegame
03-17-2012, 12:33 AM
I remember a few years ago some staffer somewhere being fired or resigning for using the word and it was bullshit then. The fact that it sounds like a racial epithet doesn't make it one.

I agree John.....the point I was asking was the question I posed at the begining....
I wonder if the left will be calling for his resignation????

chickenhead
03-17-2012, 12:34 AM
niggardly is an adjective, and isn't related to any scary racial slurs. Different word altogether.

chickenhead
03-17-2012, 12:35 AM
I agree John.....the point I was asking was the question I posed at the begining....

actually in that case the NAACP demanded he get hired back (he had "resigned"). And they said the mayors office should send a dictionary to anyone who complained. I think he was hired back.

newtothegame
03-17-2012, 12:36 AM
niggardly is an adjective, and isn't related to any scary racial slurs. Different word altogether.

Gee, I could of sworn I said adjective in the title lol....but yes, I agree chicken....
Again, my question stands. If Romney had said it , or santorum, or gingrich, or Rush, or any other conservative white male, would the standard be "it's just an adjective. A different word altogether?

newtothegame
03-17-2012, 12:37 AM
actually in that case the NAACP demanded he get hired back (he had quit). And they said the mayors office should send a dictionary to anyone who complained. I think he was hired back.
Ok,. I am not familiar with that case John is talking about. And, if the NAACP did that, good for them. bout time someone stands up and does what is right!

chickenhead
03-17-2012, 12:38 AM
Gee, I could of sworn I said adjective in the title lol....but yes, I agree chicken....
Again, my question stands. If Romney had said it , or santorum, or gingrich, or Rush, or any other conservative white male, would the standard be "it's just an adjective. A different word altogether?

you said he dropped the N word as an adjective. Niggardly is only an adjective, and it isnt the N word. I'm easily confused I guess, sorry.

Would whose standard be it's just an adjective if someone else said it? It is just an adjective. If I heard any dumb-ass say otherwise, I'd point out to them that they're illiterate.

johnhannibalsmith
03-17-2012, 12:42 AM

I'm sure you are being rhetorical because we both know that they will not, but this is one of those things that I really don't care if they don't, double-standard and all. This type of ridiculousness should be reserved for jerks that want to permanently destroy any progress in race relations for their own political benefit or for the completely uninformed.

Democrats seem far less likely to call "bullshit" on insinuations of racism when things like this come from their political rivals, so let them have the glory of being total idiots making a big production out of massaging racism from where it never actually existed.

Better yet, we can all grow up, left or right or middle, and start right now and all call "bullshit" on bogus insinuations of racism regardless of who stands to benefit so we can actually denounce real racism in a meaningful way.

newtothegame
03-17-2012, 12:45 AM
you said he dropped the N word as an adjective. Niggardly is only an adjective, and it isnt the N word. I'm easily confused I guess, sorry.

Would whose standard be it's just an adjective if someone else said it? It is just an adjective. If I heard any dumb-ass say otherwise, I'd point out to them that they're illiterate.
So if rush said the same thing, are you suggesting he wouldnt of gone through even worse then when he called this lady a slut???

mostpost
03-17-2012, 12:46 AM
No we won't because. apparently unlike you, we know the meaning of the word
"niggardly".

It does not mean blackly. :rolleyes:

newtothegame
03-17-2012, 12:48 AM
I'm sure you are being rhetorical because we both know that they will not, but this is one of those things that I really don't care if they don't, double-standard and all. This type of ridiculousness should be reserved for jerks that want to permanently destroy any progress in race relations for their own political benefit or for the completely uninformed.

Democrats seem far less likely to call "bullshit" on insinuations of racism when things like this come from their political rivals, so let them have the glory of being total idiots making a big production out of massaging racism from where it never actually existed.

Better yet, we can all grow up, left or right or middle, and start right now and all call "bullshit" on bogus insinuations of racism regardless of who stands to benefit so we can actually denounce real racism in a meaningful way.
John, I for one, being in the deep south, TOTALLY agree. I am really sick of all the race baiting that goes on.
So, you may ask why I even entertain this story???
And my response is simple.....I want the left, even if a few on here, to see how silly it is when these type of allegations are made.
We BOTH know that no one of the left will call this senator out. Nor, do I think he should be.
That's why I said and posed the question...will the left call him out for it?
Thanks

newtothegame
03-17-2012, 12:49 AM
"niggardly".

So, you would (here is your chance to lie) give Rush or any other white conservative male a pass for using the same term in the same context?

chickenhead
03-17-2012, 12:50 AM
So if rush said the same thing, are you suggesting he wouldnt of gone through even worse then when he called this lady a slut???

Who knows. If he called a black guy niggardly a couple dozen times, in a highly exaggerated way, he'd both generate outrage and have plausible deniability. Good gambit for ratings. I guess. Maybe he should try it.

It still just means miserly, tho, whereas slut is an actual slur.

newtothegame
03-17-2012, 12:52 AM
"niggardly".

Don't flatter yourself in thinking I don't understand it means frugal, cheap, etc etc.....
Course I wouldn't expect anything less from you in your superior thinking lol :lol:

johnhannibalsmith
03-17-2012, 12:52 AM
Who knows. If he called a black guy niggardly a couple dozen times, in a highly exaggerated way, he'd both generate outrage and have plausible deniability. Good gambit for ratings. I guess. Maybe he should try it.

What a response... :lol:

newtothegame
03-17-2012, 12:53 AM

I am fully aware of the meaning chick.......
But, as has been seen many times, many politicians will twist, turn, spin anything they can to an advantage. Both sides of the Aisle.

johnhannibalsmith
03-17-2012, 01:01 AM
But, as has been seen many times, many politicians will twist, turn, spin anything they can to an advantage. Both sides of the Aisle.

I understand your motivation here and it isn't without any merit, but especially in the case of race, I wish that at least one of our two parties would just stop even engaging the other side with this one-upmanship. Just take the high road. If someone in your party says something legitimately offensive, take him out back and paddle his ass. If someone in your party says something legitimate that is distorted into feigned offense, stand proudly next to him or her and tell the sonofabitch doing the complaining to shut the hell up.

This constant attempt to score points by praying the opposition says something that can destroy him or her if you can just frame it right, even if it carries no inherent offense, is one of the most pathetic diseases of discourse. It takes two to tango, so let them dance alone and eventually they'll get tired out.

chickenhead
03-17-2012, 01:03 AM
I am fully aware of the meaning chick.......

Oh, I agree...honestly I do just hate the "imagine if an X had done this!" game. I hate faux outrage at stuff like this, regardless, but the faux outrage over lack of faux outrage game is even a little bit worse.

mostpost
03-17-2012, 01:04 AM
Let me explain this to you as simply as I can. Niggardly is not a racial slur. It has nothing to do with race. It means a miserly or ungenerous person. Or in this case the act of being miserly or ungenerous. Anyone who is offended by the use of the word "niggardly" needs to buy a dictionary.

As for Rush, I have no problem with him calling someone niggardly-as long as that person is indeed a cheapskate.

newtothegame
03-17-2012, 01:10 AM
Let me explain this to you as simply as I can. Niggardly is not a racial slur. It has nothing to do with race. It means a miserly or ungenerous person. Or in this case the act of being miserly or ungenerous. Anyone who is offended by the use of the word "niggardly" needs to buy a dictionary.

As for Rush, I have no problem with him calling someone niggardly-as long as that person is indeed a cheapskate.
AND let me explain this to you....(since you keep trying to twist this into some context of me not understanding it's meaning).....
Read the entire thread. Never once did I say it was a RACIAL slur.
I identified it from the begining as an ADJECTIVE. '
I have said repeatedly I understand its meaning. I even gave examples of being frugal, cheap.
I also went so far to say how politicians on both sides of the aisle SPIN TWIST ETC .....what part of this are you nhot understanding??? And you imply I am not getting it?? lol That's funny.
You know damn good and well Sheila jackson or whatever the hell her names is in TEXAS, Boxer from CA would of been all over this had it been a white conservative male.
They would of even went so far (as many of the left have done ) to say "what he really meant was......"
Yet not a peep from Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson....."
And we wonder why there are racial problems in this country.
Again, I have said earlier in this thread this guy should not be scolded or reprimanded. The point is, just as you have done here, is people try to twist things in their own way to try to make something out of nothing. Hell, you're even trying to twist I think it means a racial slur when I have said multiple times I know it isnt lol.

mostpost
03-17-2012, 01:13 AM

This thread is moving way too fast. I stipulate that you do indeed know the meaning of niggardly. The question is why then are you asking if the left will call for Brown to be disciplined. This implies that they did so when some conservative used the same term.

I read the stories of the Washington DC official and the school teacher who got in trouble for using a legitimate word that someone did not understand. I am much more upset at their superiors for being cowards and caving in to ignorance.

newtothegame
03-17-2012, 01:28 AM
This thread is moving way too fast. I stipulate that you do indeed know the meaning of niggardly. The question is why then are you asking if the left will call for Brown to be disciplined. This implies that they did so when some conservative used the same term.

I read the stories of the Washington DC official and the school teacher who got in trouble for using a legitimate word that someone did not understand. I am much more upset at their superiors for being cowards and caving in to ignorance.

This is the whole point!!!!
There is ignorance (as I said) on BOTH sides of the aisle.
When drudge posted this as the headline "DEM SEN ACCUSES COLLEAGUES OF BEING 'NIGGARDLY'... (http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/15/sen-sherrod-brown-denounces-niggardly-colleagues/) ,
did you think it was intended to be a story about a senator accusing someone of being frugal??? (Now of course you will say yeah as "I know the meaning").
Get real, that story was meant to draw attention to something that is NOT there.
There have been many similiar cases around the U.S where people have been fired for comments like this. Some borderline, and some who neeeded to be fired. Just look at ESPN recently. The "chink in the armor" refering to LIN. I don't think anyone thought the reporter meant it is it sounded. I took it to mean a "weakness in Lin's game". Yet, guy fired for what was perceived as racial in nature......
This crap needs to stop.
P.S Drudge was sent a response by myself before I even started this thread.

chickenhead
03-17-2012, 01:36 AM
I think we could cure race relations if we'd all of us, whites and blacks, get together in a room, once a week, and sing this song with each other. While pointing at one another in the appropriate parts, and making up more lines as necessary.

uYZy9eRazVw

mostpost
03-17-2012, 01:41 AM
AND let me explain this to you....(since you keep trying to twist this into some context of me not understanding it's meaning).....
Read the entire thread. Never once did I say it was a RACIAL slur.
I have said repeatedly I understand its meaning. I even gave examples of being frugal, cheap.
I also went so far to say how politicians on both sides of the aisle SPIN TWIST ETC .....what part of this are you nhot understanding??? And you imply I am not getting it?? lol That's funny.
You know damn good and well Sheila jackson or whatever the hell her names is in TEXAS, Boxer from CA would of been all over this had it been a white conservative male.
They would of even went so far (as many of the left have done ) to say "what he really meant was......"
Yet not a peep from Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson....."
And we wonder why there are racial problems in this country.
Again, I have said earlier in this thread this guy should not be scolded or reprimanded. The point is, just as you have done here, is people try to twist things in their own way to try to make something out of nothing. Hell, you're even trying to twist I think it means a racial slur when I have said multiple times I know it isnt lol.
OK1 OK1 you know what the word means. Yet you insist on talking as if you don't. Why would Sharpton or Jackson comment on anyone who uses a word meaning "Miserly" or ungenerous- liberal or conservative? Why would Sheila Jackson or Barbara Boxer?

The title you gave to the thread was "Ohio Sen. drops "N" word as an adjective. So, at least at the beginning, you did not understand that Sherrod Brown did no such thing.
If you did indeed know at the beginning why did you title the thread as you did?

mostpost
03-17-2012, 01:52 AM
This is the whole point!!!!
There is ignorance (as I said) on BOTH sides of the aisle.
When drudge posted this as the headline "DEM SEN ACCUSES COLLEAGUES OF BEING 'NIGGARDLY'... (http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/15/sen-sherrod-brown-denounces-niggardly-colleagues/) ,
did you think it was intended to be a story about a senator accusing someone of being frugal??? (Now of course you will say yeah as "I know the meaning").
Get real, that story was meant to draw attention to something that is NOT there.
There have been many similiar cases around the U.S where people have been fired for comments like this. Some borderline, and some who neeeded to be fired. Just look at ESPN recently. The "chink in the armor" refering to LIN. I don't think anyone thought the reporter meant it is it sounded. I took it to mean a "weakness in Lin's game". Yet, guy fired for what was perceived as racial in nature......
This crap needs to stop.
P.S Drudge was sent a response by myself before I even started this thread.

Yes I was aware of the meaning. Yes "chink in the armor" was, in my opinion, a clever play of words and not a racial slur. Yes, I think the headline by Drudge was designed to evoke a certain reaction from certain people who are not as smart as me........uh....and you. :lol:

Two strange things happened just now. First, in the paragraph above I typed "racial slut" instead of racial slur. Second (really first), when I looked up the definition of the word "Niggardly" on line, the popup ad to the left of the definition was an ad for Southwest airlines featuring an attractive Black woman.

johnhannibalsmith
03-17-2012, 02:00 AM
I think we could cure race relations if we'd all of us, whites and blacks, get together in a room, once a week, and sing this song with each other. While pointing at one another in the appropriate parts, and making up more lines as necessary.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow, that was the best time I ever spent watching YouTube.

Anything that has a shot from one of my favorite movies of all time, The Last Dragon, has to be great...

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2157/2900743/5855365/361695387.jpg

The only problem I have, and it is no small problem, is that THIS is NOT Let's Make a Deal...

http://www.nbc.com/Deal_or_No_Deal/images/about/howie_photo_large.jpg

This is, DAMMMIT!

http://jennygardiner.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/nbc_letsmakeadeal-color.jpg

chickenhead
03-17-2012, 02:12 AM
THANK YOU JOHN. You just saved me probably an hour of some very strange Google searches. I recognized that guy right off the bat as being in a movie I loved when I was younger, but had no idea what the movie was.

I was honestly stumped on even what the hell to begin typing in... :lol:

johnhannibalsmith
03-17-2012, 02:16 AM
I was honestly stumped on even what the hell to begin typing in... :lol:

Nah... you'd have come with "Sho'nuff" early in the game and there's no way around hitting paydirt with criteria like that... :lol:

newtothegame
03-17-2012, 02:38 AM
OK1 OK1 you know what the word means. Yet you insist on talking as if you don't. Why would Sharpton or Jackson comment on anyone who uses a word meaning "Miserly" or ungenerous- liberal or conservative? Why would Sheila Jackson or Barbara Boxer?

The title you gave to the thread was "Ohio Sen. drops "N" word as an adjective. So, at least at the beginning, you did not understand that Sherrod Brown did no such thing.
If you did indeed know at the beginning why did you title the thread as you did?

I thought I clarified that with my last comment...about drudge using a "Title" to invole a reaction......
I am fully aware of what my title stated, just as I am sure Drudge knew what their title stated.
And please, lets not even talk about Jackson, Sharpton, Boxer, and several from the right as well who look for EVERY opportunity to twist things when it fits an agenda......
That was the other point....it's always about agenda's and people's lives are being destroyed for NOTHING!

johnhannibalsmith
03-17-2012, 02:38 AM
Because I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amp4we95P0g

Robert Goren
03-17-2012, 04:01 AM
If you are smart enough to know what the word really means and to use it properly in a sentence, you ought to be smart enough not to use it.

newtothegame
03-17-2012, 04:04 AM
If you are smart enough to know what the word really means and to use it properly in a sentence, you ought to be smart enough not to use it.
Now I know YOU are not on here questioning anyone's "smarts".....
I will assume you're referring to the people I suggested would use this is "spin".
But, just in case, you could easily repost it to me directly if you're referencing someones (as in my) smarts. To which I would be glad to respond.

Robert Goren
03-17-2012, 04:22 AM
Now I know YOU are not on here questioning anyone's "smarts".....
I will assume you're referring to the people I suggested would use this is "spin".
But, just in case, you could easily repost it to me directly if you're referencing someones (as in my) smarts. To which I would be glad to respond.I was referring to the congressman's smarts. He should have known better than to use the word. It was bound to cause him trouble. It is perfectly good word and doesn't have a racist meaning, but it sounds like it does. If you are a public figure, then you should know that. It is not like there is not a lot of other words or phrases in the English language that mean the mean the same thing. Using one of them would have been a better idea for the congressman.

newtothegame
03-17-2012, 05:23 AM
I was referring to the congressman's smarts. He should have known better than to use the word. It was bound to cause him trouble. It is perfectly good word and doesn't have a racist meaning, but it sounds like it does. If you are a public figure, then you should know that. It is not like there is not a lot of other words or phrases in the English language that mean the mean the same thing. Using one of them would have been a better idea for the congressman.
Robert, I agree with what you are saying. But, with all due respect, the congressman used the word in the proper definition and in context, said absolutely nothihng wrong that I can see.
My Problem is sites like drudge, and people like sharpton, jackson, etc etc use these EXACT types of things in distortion to promote an agenda.
As I said, drudge did NOT post the headline as they did to say that a congressman accused his peers of being frugal.
drudge knew exactly what they were doing, which in my opinion, was to promote something that is NOT there.
It's a sad state of affairs when you have both parties so tied up in this type of warfare which is splitting this country further and further apart.
Obama (because he is the current president) was supposed to be uniting this country. I would bet you would be hard pressed to find anyone who says (with a straight face) this country is more united today then four years ago.
And the media is only compounding the problem!

Robert Goren
03-17-2012, 05:44 AM
You are right. With the advent of such things as talk radio, cable news networks and political blogs, there are a bunch of people out there screaming "Look at me, I have found a politician appearing to make a fool out of himself. " Most people have long ago have become sick of it and are just ignoring it. The " members of the choir" are eating it up, so it goes on. Eventually it will all fade away and the politicians can go back to saying or doing or appearing to say or do dumb things without much fanfare and people like me spend more time posting about horse racing and less about politics.

wes
03-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Another black hole incident.

wes

Tom
03-17-2012, 09:56 AM
I was referring to the congressman's smarts. He should have known better than to use the word. It was bound to cause him trouble. It is perfectly good word and doesn't have a racist meaning, but it sounds like it does. If you are a public figure, then you should know that. It is not like there is not a lot of other words or phrases in the English language that mean the mean the same thing. Using one of them would have been a better idea for the congressman.

So we should all dumb it down for the masses?

johnhannibalsmith
03-17-2012, 10:38 AM

He's exactly wrong. That's exactly what's wrong with people. You can't use a perfectly good word because some idiot is going to be offended for no reason. Buzzzzz. Don't reward poot behavior and hypersensitivity to nothing. USe the word ten times a day in its proper context until people cease being ridiculous.

mostpost
03-17-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm doing my part.

Tom
03-17-2012, 02:32 PM
And is shows!
Hat tip to ya!

newtothegame
03-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Sadly Tom, it would appear the masses have been dumbed down in sufficient numbers. The masses need to be re-educated. The media keeps telling them what they want them to believe and like blind mice, they follow.

bigmack
03-17-2012, 03:44 PM
A common tale of Black misinterprets, gay is fired. 'Collective gays' are outraged, gay gets job back. All live happily eva afta.

On January 15, 1999, David Howard, a white aide to Anthony A. Williams, the black mayor of Washington, D.C., used "niggardly" in reference to a budget. This apparently upset one of his black colleagues (identified by Howard as Marshall Brown), who interpreted it as a racial slur and lodged a complaint.

As a result, on January 25 Howard tendered his resignation, and Williams accepted it.[1] However, after pressure from the gay community (of which Howard was a member) an internal review into the matter was brought about, and the mayor offered Howard the chance to return to his position as Office of the Public Advocate on February 4. Howard refused but accepted another position with the mayor instead, insisting that he did not feel victimized by the incident. On the contrary, Howard felt that he had learned from the situation. "I used to think it would be great if we could all be colorblind. That's naïve, especially for a white person, because a white person can afford to be colorblind. They don't have to think about race every day. An African American does."

It has been speculated that this incident inspired Philip Roth's novel The Human Stain.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l0qxzjVZog1qbsfzvo1_250.gif

Rookies
03-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Robert, I agree with what you are saying. But, with all due respect, the congressman used the word in the proper definition and in context, said absolutely nothihng wrong that I can see.
My Problem is sites like drudge, and people like sharpton, jackson, etc etc use these EXACT types of things in distortion to promote an agenda.
As I said, drudge did NOT post the headline as they did to say that a congressman accused his peers of being frugal.
drudge knew exactly what they were doing, which in my opinion, was to promote something that is NOT there.
It's a sad state of affairs when you have both parties so tied up in this type of warfare which is splitting this country further and further apart.
Obama (because he is the current president) was supposed to be uniting this country. I would bet you would be hard pressed to find anyone who says (with a straight face) this country is more united today then four years ago.
And the media is only compounding the problem!

While I have long known the meaning of the word, I was wondering whether it had morphed from a pejorative. Apparently not, as its origin dates to the Wycliffe Bible of 1384... (not that Bibles can't have some offensive stuff;) )

On the incident with the Washington Mayor's Assistant:

Julian Bond (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Bond), then chairman of the NAACP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAACP), deplored the offense that had been taken at Howard's use of the word. "You hate to think you have to censor your language to meet other people's lack of understanding",

Indeed. We shouldn't be lowering language to a single syllable to mollify the uneducated.

Actor
03-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Webster's College Dictionary
nig-gard-ly adj 1 NOT GENEROUS very reluctant to to give or spend anything 2 SMALL OR INADEQUATE very small or inadequate in quantity adv IN A STINGY WAY in a miserly or stingy way -- nig-gard-li-ness n

CORRECT USAGE Though the etymology of niggardly and niggard remains subject to debate, these words probably have a Scandinavian origin not associated with the origin of the offensive word Negro and its related offensive racial slurs, which are derived ultimately from Latin. Niggardly then, is in no way a racial slur. However, the fact that the word sounds as if it might be one is reason to consider context very carefully before using it.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master, thats all."

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass, chapter 6,

nt