PDA

View Full Version : Another One Bites the Dust

Overlay
03-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Bye-bye, Britannica (in hard copy at least).

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinionla/la-ed-encyclopedia-20120315,0,2716994.story

That collection of volumes as I was growing up was sort of comforting -- as if you had all knowledge right there in front of you in ponderous, indisputable, alphabetized form. Oh, well, there's no holding back progress, is there?

JustRalph
03-14-2012, 09:14 PM
I find this to be a sad passage too. Google killed it...........

NJ Stinks
03-14-2012, 09:26 PM
It really is lousy news.

I guess I was part of the problem. My Grolier's Encyclopedia of Knowledge set was published in 1991. But it was built to last.

Tom
03-14-2012, 10:39 PM
I will still look things up in my Funk & Wagnalls.

Striker
03-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Books are no longer needed. The local schools by me are doing away with all textbooks and are providing each student with an ipad at the taxpayers cost. So each classroom has 20-30 Ipads in it and this is what the teachers will use to teach. IMO this is really going to have an effect on these kids' communication skills when they get into the working world.

Marshall Bennett
03-15-2012, 01:11 AM
I will still look things up in my Funk & Wagnalls.
Wow, I had those too. Then folks got us the World Book Encyclopedia. Had a stack of those yearly year books that they purchased each year. Always looked forward to the next year's book.

JustRalph
03-15-2012, 01:14 AM
I wonder how many Funk and Wagnall's Rowan and Martin sold with free advertising

Robert Goren
03-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Books are no longer needed. The local schools by me are doing away with all textbooks and are providing each student with an ipad at the taxpayers cost. So each classroom has 20-30 Ipads in it and this is what the teachers will use to teach. IMO this is really going to have an effect on these kids' communication skills when they get into the working world. E-reader are lot cheaper than hard copy books. Apple used to give a big discount to schools to get them to use Macs. I am assuming that they are doing the same thing with Ipads. Hardcopy books are going the way of typewriter. They are being replaced by something better.