PDA

View Full Version : NASDAQ closes above 3000

Robert Goren
03-14-2012, 05:24 AM
Dispite all the negativity from the GOP about the ecomony, the people who put their money where their mouth is are investing in America. The NASDAQ closed above 3000 for the first time since Clinton was president. The Dow is solidly back over 13000.

Tom
03-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Obama has stated that you cannot use the market as an indicator of the economy.

Robert Goren
03-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Obama has stated that you cannot use the market as an indicator of the economy. So there is something that you agree with Obama on.

Tom
03-14-2012, 09:18 AM
I didn't say I agreed. I just said HE said you can't.

acorn54
03-14-2012, 09:24 AM
my opinion of the increase in the financial markets is the increase in the money supply
the value of stocks, to keep up with inflation, rise. at least that is what i think is happening.

lamboguy
03-14-2012, 09:24 AM
i guess the best way to describe this is ABSOLUTE PARADISE

chickenhead
03-14-2012, 11:32 AM
i guess the best way to describe this is ABSOLUTE PARADISE

:D

Marshall Bennett
03-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Obama has stated that you cannot use the market as an indicator of the economy.
He also stated that the market shouldn't be a major factor in a presidential election when he ran in 08.

NJ Stinks
03-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Dispite all the negativity from the GOP about the ecomony, the people who put their money where their mouth is are investing in America. The NASDAQ closed above 3000 for the first time since Clinton was president. The Dow is solidly back over 13000.

Have you noticed that FOX News is focused like a laser on the price of a gallon of gasoline 24/7? I'm serious - try watching for a half-hour any time of day and see if they don't full-screen the average price of gasoline across the country?

I guess they just can't find the time to mention the stock market gains, Robert. :rolleyes:

johnhannibalsmith
03-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Have you noticed that FOX News is focused like a laser on the price of a gallon of gasoline 24/7? I'm serious - try watching for a half-hour any time of day and see if they don't full-screen the average price of gasoline across the country?

I guess they just can't find the time to mention the stock market gains, Robert. :rolleyes:

Not that your "point" even warrants a serious reply, but...

What percentage of America do you think gives a rat's ass whether the dow or nasdaq is up, down, or sideways?

What percentage of America do you think is concerned with the price of gas?

But I'm sure that's too obvious of an explanation... it's gotta be about Obama specifically... :rolleyes:

Robert Goren
03-14-2012, 02:35 PM

I guess they just can't find the time to mention the stock market gains, Robert. :rolleyes:They barely have had time to mention the Afghan shooting. They had a hard time last night breaking away from their coverage of gas prices to give the election results. If they are having trouble finding time to cover those stories, they certainly are not going to cover anything that might reflect positively on what happening to the country right now.:rolleyes:

NJ Stinks
03-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Not that your "point" even warrants a serious reply, but...

What percentage of America do you think gives a rat's ass whether the dow or nasdaq is up, down, or sideways?

What percentage of America do you think is concerned with the price of gas?

But I'm sure that's too obvious of an explanation... it's gotta be about Obama specifically... :rolleyes:

Not that your "point" even warrants a serious reply but about 63% of all employees getting retirement benefits get them from a 401(k). I hope that's not too obvious an explanation. :faint:

For many workers today, it’s hard to imagine a time when retirement money wasn’t socked away into a 401(k) with matching funds from an employer. But it wasn’t that long ago — about 30 years — that defined benefit plans, or pensions, were the primary mode of retirement savings. Then, about 62 percent of workers receiving retirement benefits received them solely from defined benefit pension plans. Today 63 percent of people with benefits rely solely on 401(k) plans.

Link: http://www.gcglaw.com/resources/employment/pension_401k.html

BlueShoe
03-14-2012, 02:50 PM
The NASDAQ closed above 3000 for the first time since Clinton was president. The Dow is solidly back over 13000.
Getting there and staying there are two entirely different things. Ever increasing gasoline prices, related inflation, or a Mideast war at any time would put the brakes on the market gains and send it skidding. Too fast, too much, still see a sharp correction coming even if there is no new major crises. If you are bullish, buy the dips, but sure would not jump in now at these prices.

johnhannibalsmith
03-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Not that your "point" even warrants a serious reply but about 63% of all employees getting retirement benefits get them from a 401(k). I hope that's not too obvious an explanation. :faint:

So 63% of all employees that get retirement benefits versus everyone that drives a vehicle or makes purchases that are impacted by fuel costs.

I watch the NBC Nightly News every evening and unless there is a total meltdown, the most insight you get into the markets is a 10 second recap with dingy bell and an arrow up or down. Sorry, I think you underestimate how little most people care about the markets versus how much they care about the price of gas. I'm not sure how you can even compare the media attention given rising gas prices and market movement and then attempt to indict a singular news source on that matter. Bitch about them all if you want, but then you have no point.

Tom
03-14-2012, 03:35 PM
90% of the people could not tell you what the Dow closed at, but they could tell the price of gas. And how long they have been out of work.

NJ Stinks
03-14-2012, 03:44 PM
So 63% of all employees that get retirement benefits versus everyone that drives a vehicle or makes purchases that are impacted by fuel costs.

I watch the NBC Nightly News every evening and unless there is a total meltdown, the most insight you get into the markets is a 10 second recap with dingy bell and an arrow up or down. Sorry, I think you underestimate how little most people care about the markets versus how much they care about the price of gas. I'm not sure how you can even compare the media attention given rising gas prices and market movement and then attempt to indict a singular news source on that matter. Bitch about them all if you want, but then you have no point.

Where shall I begin? Perhaps a biblical quote is in order.

:eek:

highnote
03-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Getting there and staying there are two entirely different things.

Agreed. That is why my mantra is "Never lose money!"

Ever increasing gasoline prices, related inflation, or a Mideast war at any time would put the brakes on the market gains and send it skidding.

The two main forces that driving fuel prices upward in the U.S. are high global oil prices and the problems with the U.S. oil transporation and refining industry.

This article gives the best explanation that I've read on the what and why behind oil prices: http://www.caseyresearch.com/cdd/what-and-why-behind-americas-gasoline-price-pain

Some inflation should be good for the market -- especially if interest rates stay low.

Middle East wars could contribute to higher oil prices and could hurt the market.

For these reasons, it may be a good idea to hedge your bets. Like I said, "Never lose money!"

Too fast, too much, still see a sharp correction coming even if there is no new major crises.

The market has been rising since 2009. That is not too much or too soon. Don't fight the tape. My indicators and my model show the market is going to continue to go higher. (Actually, they're Martin Zweig's indicators and model.)

If you are bullish, buy the dips, but sure would not jump in now at these prices.

Like I said, don't fight the tape. The trend is your friend. I'm buying and will continue to buy until my indicators and models say sell.

highnote
03-14-2012, 05:22 PM
90% of the people could not tell you what the Dow closed at, but they could tell the price of gas. And how long they have been out of work.

90% of the people are out of work? ;)

JustRalph
03-14-2012, 07:44 PM

I guess the fact that they have an entire network dedicated to the market eludes you?

Gerri Willis was on the regular network discussing the market just last night. I guess you missed that........

rastajenk
03-14-2012, 09:53 PM
How's that Carbonite doing these days?

Robert Goren
03-15-2012, 05:42 AM
I guess the fact that they have an entire network dedicated to the market eludes you?

Gerri Willis was on the regular network discussing the market just last night. I guess you missed that........ Yes, they do. My cable package doesn't include it. It would cost an extra $60 a month to get that tier. There is only one or two or channels on that tier that I might watch, so I do without. I did miss Geri Willis. I gave up the Fox News pretty early that night because CNN was covering the elections in much more depth. Usually Fox News has the best election coverage, but for some reason they pretty weak Tuesday. CNN had people on the ground in AL and MS showing convicts handling the ballots. Just when you think you seen everything, along comes something like that.

Robert Goren
03-15-2012, 06:04 AM
How's that Carbonite doing these days?It made a nice rebound yesterday up almost 5%. The stock went public at $10 in August quickly went to $20 and has been free fall ever since. It took a 12% hit after it announced that it was dropping Limbaugh. The stock price is now $8.45.

badcompany
03-15-2012, 07:58 AM
While I don't use forecasting in my trading/investing, like everyone else, I have an opinion about the market.

What makes me think that prices will stay up for awhile is the low volume. The retail investor is still on the sidelines, and, can you blame them?

In 2008, there was a crash which crushed a lot of people. In 2010, there a was a flash crash, and in 2011 there was what I call a "Mock" crash.

The current market situation is akin to a Poker game in which a bunch of pros are playing and passing the money around among themselves while they wait for the fish to show up.

ElKabong
03-15-2012, 08:08 AM
It made a nice rebound yesterday up almost 5%. The stock went public at $10 in August quickly went to $20 and has been free fall ever since. It took a 12% hit after it announced that it was dropping Limbaugh. The stock price is now $8.45.

Carbonite went down w/ the rest of the market that day (or was it day after?). If there was a boycott, it won't work. I'd like $2 to Win on Carbonite to be higher in 90 days from today, than it was the day it dipped after said boycott.

Having said that....Does anyone know of a good substitute for Carbonite? I'll be in the market for that product real quick....While I applaud a system that allows a company to excercise its right to boycott a political commentator, they'll need understand that I wish to buy products and services from outfits that don't overtly pander to one side of the aisle or the other.

You understand this logic. Right, Carbonite?

So, anyone know of a good sub for this service??

badcompany
03-15-2012, 08:17 AM
How about this?

http://www.symantec.com/theme.jsp?themeid=backupexec-family

NJ Stinks
03-15-2012, 01:10 PM
While I applaud a system that allows a company to excercise its right to boycott a political commentator, they'll need understand that I wish to buy products and services from outfits that don't overtly pander to one side of the aisle or the other.

You understand this logic. Right, Carbonite?

I don't know about Carbonite but I know I don't understand your logic, Elkabong.

Limbaugh calls a woman who testifies before Congress a a "slut" and "prostitute" on the air because he doesn't like what she said. Carbonite does not want to be associated with a show that potentially slanders half of Carbonite's customers so Carbonite pulls it's ads from the show. Sounds like a no-brainer business decision to me. Unless you think it's worth pandering to Limbaugh business-wise.

johnhannibalsmith
03-15-2012, 01:41 PM
... Sounds like a no-brainer business decision to me. Unless you think it's worth pandering to Limbaugh business-wise.

Well, markets seem to disagree. Apparently they don't think that niche businesses like Carbonite should be pandering to anyone. Not removing your advertisements is a whole lot less a case of pandering than actually pulling the advertisements is a case of pandering. Carbonite wasn't doing all that well in general, but this "no-brainer business decision" clearly hastened their decline and made an immediate negative impact on the business.

Cardus
03-15-2012, 01:55 PM

If the president were a Repubican, then this news would be a 10-point sub-headline beneath a 20-point bold that announced something on the order of the "rich getting richer, the poor getting poorer" in The New York Times, CNN, MSNBC, etc.