View Full Version : Tablet or Laptop ?

parlay
03-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Okay geeks :) Chime in !

I am in need of a computer.
It must be mobile
I must be able to access the net from anywhere
I will be using it for business, so word processor and spreadsheet
I will be using it for wagering, and streaming.

I have used my sons IPAD and love the size, but i don't think
its up to the job.
The new ASUS products coming out second quarter look really interesting.
I am not a geek, so please dumb down your replies.
Thanks in advance for any input

DJofSD
03-13-2012, 10:57 AM
A completely uninformed opinion: if you are doing normal work while using the word processor then you very likely will want an external keyboard.

Dave Schwartz
03-13-2012, 11:34 AM
I used a tablet for my first trip to Saratoga about 7-8 years ago. I immediately found that you must have a mouse because the constant rotation/lifting of the should killed my arm.

My vote - for anything that demands real computer-ing, is "laptop."

JustRalph
03-13-2012, 04:41 PM
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

or wait a few days.......some new ultra-light Windows boxes coming

None lives up to the Apple Mac Book Air's though

my New Ipad will be here on Friday. I will check back and let you know how it goes. Lots more power etc...........

redshift1
03-13-2012, 05:51 PM

my New Ipad will be here on Friday. I will check back and let you know how it goes. Lots more power etc...........

Agreed, Mac Book Air.

raybo
03-14-2012, 09:37 AM
If you're planning on using spreadsheets, Excel comes to mind, and automating with macros, definitely a laptop. Some tablets claim to be Excel compatible but sadly they are not, regarding workbook size and automation. Maybe when the MS tablets evolve some, my opinion might change.

JBmadera
03-14-2012, 10:38 AM

me too, been tracking the package: china, alaska, kentucky, gonna have a lot of miles on it when it touches down friday a.m cannot wait!

PaceAdvantage
03-14-2012, 10:56 AM
If you're planning on using spreadsheets, Excel comes to mind, and automating with macros, definitely a laptop. Some tablets claim to be Excel compatible but sadly they are not, regarding workbook size and automation. Maybe when the MS tablets evolve some, my opinion might change.I have the Samsung Slate...that surely was an evolution of the MS tablet....of course it ain't cheap....

raybo
03-14-2012, 11:28 AM
I have the Samsung Slate...that surely was an evolution of the MS tablet....of course it ain't cheap....

Now we're getting somewhere, maybe my "RS" 58MB workbook with tons of macros will actually run on a tablet! Runs Windows 7 and 8, just wondering what it will think about Excel 2002, 2003? Also, wondering if there is a possibility of loading XP on the machine rather than Win 7 or 8.

Solid State drive is state of the art, although it appears that the advertised 128 GB actually offers much less space in reality, depending on where you buy it, as low as 40GB.

Now if we can get the price down from $1200+-, maybe.........

HUSKER55
03-14-2012, 12:58 PM
unless there is a huge discrepancy in size, I would get a laptop. With SSD's you can get a pretty good one that would do all you want,..maybe more..

for what its worth, grandkids want laptops. They seem to know where the value is. Ask yours.

good luck.

JustRalph
03-14-2012, 03:29 PM
me too, been tracking the package: china, alaska, kentucky, gonna have a lot of miles on it when it touches down friday a.m cannot wait!

mine is sitting in Kentucky with yours..............

parlay
03-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Great info guys!
I have decided to spend $700 CDN on a good, not great, laptop.
In a year it will become my desktop and i believe the the tablets
will be developed to the point were they can fulfill all my wet dreams.

JBmadera
03-16-2012, 03:13 PM
mine is sitting in Kentucky with yours..............

The eagle has landed, charging up. Yours hit yet?

HoofedInTheChest
03-16-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm looking to pick up the new iPad, if you guys can give a review after you have messed around with it for awhile it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JustRalph
03-16-2012, 09:37 PM
The eagle has landed, charging up. Yours hit yet?

11:30a got the knock on the door from the UPS guy. He told me he had 30 New Ipad's <---(is that a word?) on the truck

I have to tell you, coming from an Ipad 1, the biggest difference for me is the speed. The screen grows on you as you use it. It is much better. But I was expecting more considering all the raving about it in the reviews.

After using it for a couple of hours tonight though I did realize that there are websites that I used to have to magnify to read the small print (CNN) but with this version I don't. That makes a big difference to me. Still playing with it. The speed of the thing is awesome though. Much more responsive than version 1.

The camera is pretty damn good though...... even though you look like a dork holding this thing up to take a picture. Video is very good too.

More to come.

JBmadera
03-17-2012, 05:27 AM
11:30a got the knock on the door from the UPS guy. He told me he had 30 New Ipad's <---(is that a word?) on the truck

I have to tell you, coming from an Ipad 1, the biggest difference for me is the speed. The screen grows on you as you use it. It is much better. But I was expecting more considering all the raving about it in the reviews.

After using it for a couple of hours tonight though I did realize that there are websites that I used to have to magnify to read the small print (CNN) but with this version I don't. That makes a big difference to me. Still playing with it. The speed of the thing is awesome though. Much more responsive than version 1.

The camera is pretty damn good though...... even though you look like a dork holding this thing up to take a picture. Video is very good too.

More to come.

agree, very fast (compared to mrs jb's iPad 1), looks like I'll end up needing to buy another one.

going to check now and see if twinspires tv works on the iPad.

newtothegame
03-17-2012, 05:32 AM
If anyone is stepping up from an Ipad2, I would also be interested in hearing your reviews. From what I hear, outside of the HD, not much difference.....
Thanks in advance

mannyberrios
04-01-2012, 08:54 PM
This iPad 3 is great. Just got iT today

HUSKER55
04-01-2012, 09:42 PM
hey guys, I was told that there is an SSD with 128m for around $140. If that is the case then for all you guys on-the-go that opens alot of possibilities. If memory serves I think it was OCZ????

I will verify and get back.

bigmack
04-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Every Apple lovin' nerd, including all my sibs, are friendly to the earth in profound ways. Recycle with GLEE. Bike when you can. Toenail shavings for compost. (OK, maybe not that but you get the idear.)

But yet they have nothing to say about unfair labor practices.

Stand tall and buy a non-APPL, Pro-labor, pro-duct!

Power to the worker.

http://rlv.zcache.com/power_lineman_electrician_worker_poster-r3e3ef70b7bb4444f9c17f214c4bf54be_isx_400.jpg