PDA

View Full Version : 1978 Triple Crown uncashed ticket at ebay

trying2win
12-24-2003, 03:36 AM
--Just read an interesting article about a horse racing item up for bids at the ebay site. Someone is trying to sell an uncashed, winning ticket on Affirmed from the last leg of the 1978 Triple Crown.

--Check out the starting bid! I see someone else is trying to sell a winning parimutuel ticket on Affirmed in the 1978 Kentucky Derby, as well. Same starting bid in both cases.

--I did a search at the ebay site with this phrase "AFFIRMED WINNING TICKET" (leave off the quotation marks) and saw a photo of both tickets. Check out the condition of the two above-mentioned tickets. Quite a difference!

--I doubt if either seller will get an offer on their respective starting bids. I think both sellers will have to start over, and start with a lower asking price.

--Opinions on this article anyone? Here's the link:

http://espn.go.com/horse/news/2003/1222/1692767.html

Trying2win

trying2win
12-25-2003, 06:10 PM
--Not surprisingly at the ebay site, nobody has made a bid on the $25,000.00 starting price for any of three AFFIRMED winning tickets on the Kentucky Derby, Preakness or Belmont races of 1978.

--Anybody else got any horse racing items that they might make a fortune on, by trying to sell them on ebay?

--I have a photo somewhere hidden away, that was taken of Cam Fella the famous harness horse (if I remember correctly, I think the photo was signed by his regular driver, Pat Crowe, as well). This photo was from the farewell tour around 1997, when the retired Cam Fella visited Northlands Park. I saw Cam Fella win a race here in person in 1983. It was an amazing performance!

--I also have an out-of-print handicapping video by James Quinn. If I try to sell these two items on ebay, I'll probably start the bids with that $25,000.00 asking price, then move the decimal place over four slots to the left, then cross off the comma and the last four zeros!

Trying2win

Buckeye
12-25-2003, 09:55 PM
I have a $2 winning ticket on Ruffian. Her final race.
What do you think that might be worth?

SAL
12-25-2003, 11:08 PM
mmm....Ruffian didn't win her final race.

Observer
12-26-2003, 12:08 AM
Collectors may not care that she didn't win her last race .. or even finish it. Many people love Ruffian .. and I'm sure there are probably people out there who'd be interested.

Bubbles
12-27-2003, 12:01 PM
I have a losing ticket on Funny Cide from the Belmont. Depending on how he does in '04, this could either be worth lots of money or be worth diddly squat.

freeneasy
12-27-2003, 02:53 PM
i have two sets of wp and show tickets on mccarron's last ride. i was thinking of selling a set and donating the other to one of the auctions the tracks hold for their charity benifits. wonder what it would bring?

freeneasy
12-27-2003, 03:02 PM
i wonder what a complete set of $2 win tickets would be worth on the zipster chipster, with each ticket being purchased at each track he ran on up until the time he finally broke his long awaited maiden? couple a million i'd say

Steve 'StatMan'
12-27-2003, 10:27 PM
If Zippy keeps trying forever, it might cost a couple Mil just to place the original bets! :D

freeneasy
12-28-2003, 06:12 PM
:D