PDA

View Full Version : mad cow disease

kenwoodallpromos
12-23-2003, 11:10 PM
Mad cow found in Wa state! No mention of mad horse yet!

boxcar
12-23-2003, 11:36 PM
We're living in a mad, mad, mad world!

Boxcar

DJofSD
12-24-2003, 12:08 AM
If the impact to the industry is as bad as what happened when there was one, yes, one cow in Canada found with CJD, it will reach into the billion (w/ a "B") of dollars. Quick, get thee to an after hours trading site and short Hormel, etc.

The main mistake the British discovered was they had recycled brain and spinal cord matter back into the food processing cycle that was fed back to the cows. What will they find as a cause in WA?

DJofSD

Secretariat
12-24-2003, 06:47 PM
They said on the news tonight that it was infected feed, but only affected one cow. Seems a little odd that only one cow would get the infected feed, but it appears that shorting the US beef market will be happening in the near future. Does not bode well. Let us hope that this did not get into the food chain and no humans have been affected.

Tom
12-27-2003, 06:09 PM
Heard to day they suspect the cow came in from Alberta, CA.
If only one infected cow gets into McDonalds meat supply it could be disastorous....they get about 34 million burgers per cow <G>
I can just hear the new questions they ask at the counter.

"I'll have a Big Mac and a Coke."
"You want antibiotics with that?"
"Yeah, go ahead."
"Super-size the dose?"
"Please."
"Thank you, sir. Hope you make it back again!"

ponyplayer
12-28-2003, 08:33 PM
Very funny Tom...enjoyed it. :D

Does anyone really know how bad this stuff is? Why are they not telling us who purchased this meat, surely there are records of this. Truck drivers need bills to get across state lines.

Larry Hamilton
12-28-2003, 08:56 PM
It's alarmist and scary, if you read this before taking the kids to McDonalds, you probably wont go..

http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow.htm

DJofSD
12-28-2003, 09:04 PM
How bad is 'mad cow' disease? Pretty damnably bad.

First there is no cure - period.

Second it is a progressively dibilitating afflicition: it literally eats away brain tissue which is why in the technical name for the human variant the word 'sponge' is part of the name. You lose brain function. You just don't go insane, you lose total control until you literally are a vegetable then you die.

The cause is a mutant protein called prion. Some scientists believe this should be classified as a third form of life. It is not affected by heat nor radiation. In other words, if it is in the food you consumed, cooking it by either conventional means or microwave will not kill it no matter how much you carbonize it.

What's so insidious about prions is when they come into contact with other proteins that are similar, the prion turn or convert the natural protein into another prion.

Many years ago when the mad cow sh*t hit the fan in Britain, I was dating a doctor who was doing cutting edge research in cancer and HIV. While she knew there was a small chance you could contract AIDS what really scared the crap out of her was CJD and prions. And while I enjoy black humor about other things, this topic is one I don't joke about at all.

DJofSD

DJofSD
12-28-2003, 09:28 PM
Here's an article written in laymen's terminology. See: http://science-education.nih.gov/nihHTML/ose/snapshots/multimedia/ritn/prions/prions1.html

And from the U.S. C.D.C. (notice what they don't say): http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/cjd/bse_cjd.htm

DJofSD

Secretariat
12-29-2003, 09:56 AM
DJD,

Any tests one could undergo to check for the existence of these prions? Obviously no vaccine exists. It is a bit troubling. Government does have a way of minimizing these things to prevent panic and to reduce the harm done to businesses, so it becomes difficult to know just how bad this is. Doesn't seem to have rocked the markets yet though....

DJofSD
12-29-2003, 10:57 AM
Yes, but I don't remember too many of the details. It involves discovery of the byproduct of the protein breakdown. Try doing a search on prion. You should come up with some hits for online technical articles about the tests.

DJofSD

PaceAdvantage
12-29-2003, 12:07 PM
Weren't cattle futures "locked limit down" after the annoucement? That means if you were long cattle, you were screwed big time....it had moved so far down in price, that the automatic circuit breakers kicked in and STOPPED trading alltogether.....

Haven't looked at futures today at all...anyone know what happened?

Tom
12-29-2003, 12:08 PM
Mad cow aside, eating at McDonald's is dangerous.

wes
12-29-2003, 02:04 PM
maybe we want catch the hoof and mouth disease talking about
mad cow here.:-)

wes

doophus
12-29-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Weren't cattle futures "locked limit down" after the annoucement? That means if you were long cattle, you were screwed big time....it had moved so far down in price, that the automatic circuit breakers kicked in and STOPPED trading alltogether.....

Haven't looked at futures today at all...anyone know what happened?

Locked down limit again early today--3rd day consecutively and counting. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 1,000 to 1,500 basis point drop b4 this is over.

Sure wish I was "long" in turkey or chicken or duck or froglegs!

kenwoodallpromos
12-31-2003, 01:25 AM
I will check with PETA for their opinion!