PDA

View Full Version : Job skills from handicapping.

Niko
12-23-2003, 10:00 PM
I may be transferring jobs in a different city and it got me to thinking what business skills handicapping teaches me.
Discipline, money management, pattern recognition, risk analysis,
a little math and finance, decision analysis and decision matrixes, composure under pressure(most of the time), beginning database skills,
Had some others in my head but that's all I can think of now. Too bad I couldn't relate my handicapping experiences and what I've learned from them to a perspective employer. Instead my hobbies are reading, exercise, blah blah

Derek2U
12-23-2003, 10:05 PM
hehe how right you are. My hobbies on my work app included
reading stories 2 the blind & woodcarving. Yankin Gold Chains
from dumB hip-hopperS at the mall .... well i 4 got 2 mention that.

kenwoodallpromos
12-23-2003, 11:07 PM
Mine is financial advisor-public 'capper 3 weeks!!

VetScratch
12-24-2003, 12:27 AM
In many occupations and professional disciplines, those that can't compete must become administrative supervisors or teach at the most elementary levels. Handicapping seems to offer other options! :)

JustRalph
12-24-2003, 06:38 AM
Monitor Tech Support calls while also watching live racing online, and using split second decision making skills to go right down to post time watching the odds board while also explaining how to setup a wireless network. I think this falls under "Multi-tasking"

Being able to feign absolute calmness while some idiot underling is complaining about her work schedule and the rest of her putrid life while watching (over her shoulder) my 30-1 shot bearing down on the field in the stretch at CD and winning by a nose, all the while keeping what appears to be complete eye contact with her. Then excusing myself to the bathroom and jumping up and down all the way down the hall towards the bathroom. This one falls under " Grace under pressure and employee relations"

Explaining to the boss that we need to get a satellite setup in the office so my guys can watch "Tech TV" via our computer network during their down time. Jumping through hoops with Dishnet to get permission to rebroadcast the signal over our network to about 120 machines in the building without having to pay extra. Rallying the troops to back the idea and then while they are all enjoying "Tech Tv" and learning.........I am watching TVG on my machine. This one falls under "negotiation skills" etc.

How about eventually leading the boss into becoming interested in the races and he ends up watching races with me and rooting my horses on.......allowing me to print racing forms via the large multi-function department printer as long as I buy some toner and paper via my company discount (we were a computer retailer, you know) now that has to fall under some dastardly business skill.....Huh?

I should have never quit that job...............alas........hindsight is 20/20...............

Niko
12-24-2003, 12:15 PM
Maybe you should try tackling the Middle East situation next. Your resume looks as good as anyones to tackle the situation.
Sounds like some good perks at your last job. Try explaining what you posted to your next employer when talking about negotiation skills, diplomacy etc

Larry Hamilton
12-24-2003, 12:49 PM
This thread began with someone cramming their tongue firmly in their cheek, but much being presented has real value!

Tom
12-24-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Niko
Maybe you should try tackling the Middle East situation next.

After a season of playing the inner track at Aqueduct, peace in the middle east seems to be the easier undertaking:rolleyes:

Fastracehorse
12-25-2003, 03:16 AM
I worked for Molson's Breweries and they gave a work-shop, that involved handicapping a horse race, to mangers.

That helped me realize that handicapping is a wonderful specialization. There is so much data in just a program or racing form that it can be very confusing.

So, excellent organizational skills are needed to group important pieces of data. And filter the noise.

Analytical skills are needed to find the data and to do comparative analyses amongst the groups of data. Also in the recognition of important patterns.

Critical skills are need for judgeing the finely-tuned variables - decision-making.

It truly is highly specialized.

fffastt

VetScratch
12-25-2003, 10:52 AM
Fastracehorse,I worked for Molson's Breweries and they gave a work-shop, that involved handicapping a horse race, to mangers.And there is absolutely NO truth to rumors that LeBatt's brewery in Montreal ever sold horsemeat to employees for déjeuner.

:)

=======

LeBatt's Porter... finest dark beer ever brewed in North America!