PDA

View Full Version : Eden's Moon

ten2oneormore
03-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Isn't it an auto DQ to strike another horse?I thought I saw Rennesgotzip get hit by Garcia's whip but thought I was wrong after the objection was disallowed.How could the stewards miss this?The chart makes no mention of it either.

From drf:

She may have caught a break as replays seemed to show her rider’s whip smacking Reneesgotzip in the face a couple times turning for home. Eden’s Moon’s main target is the Grade 1 Kentucky Oaks May 5 and she might go next in the Grade 1 Santa Anita Oaks March 31. Reneesgotzip did everything right, pressing the winner from the start. She tried to make a run at the winner into the lane, popped her head upward a couple times (presumably when hit on the face by the whip of her rival’s rider) and didn’t resume her run.

DRF Different article:
Peter Miller, who trains Reneesgotzip, objected to the result. Jockey Corey Nakatani who rode Reneesgotzip, said his mount was struck in the face by Garcia’s whip. A head-on view of the replay did not clearly show Reneesgotzip being struck by Garcia’s whip, although the two fillies certainly made contact.

Miller was frustrated that he had to call an objection and that the stewards did not call an inquiry.

horses4courses
03-05-2012, 10:59 PM
I bet Charm The Maker in this race, so I had no interest in the outcome.
Watched the replay a number of times, though.

Although Reneesgotzip moved her head in reaction to Garcia flailing the whip,
there was never any visible contact of whip on horse, imo.

Was it interference?
Perhaps.

A clear cut DQ?
I don't think so.

Robert Fischer
03-05-2012, 11:01 PM
another reason to go HD

toussaud
03-05-2012, 11:14 PM
i saw the race and i just don't think RGZ was ever going to get past her. even if they did call an inquiry i doubt they would have over turned it. EM had too much in the tank.

Tom
03-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Gary Stevens said that the rider on the lead has the right to his whip space - if a horse comes into that space, it is not the rider's fault if contact is made. He was certain there was no foul.

horses4courses
03-05-2012, 11:25 PM
i saw the race and i just don't think RGZ was ever going to get past her. even if they did call an inquiry i doubt they would have over turned it. EM had too much in the tank.

I agree with you that it's likely that the best horse won.
That being said, RGZ clearly lost her momentum, and broke stride, probably in fear of a whip being waved near her face.
If there had been clear visual evidence of the whip striking her, Eden's Moon would have to have come down.
Even though she was likely best on the day.

EJXD2
03-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Gary Stevens talked on HRTV that he would sometimes try to steer his mount's head in direction of other jockey in the hopes of getting hit with the whip and winning by objection.

He called it a tactic to employ when you knew you couldn't win the race to the wire, and he said that he wouldn't be surprised if that were in play for the Las Virgenes.

ten2oneormore
03-06-2012, 10:01 AM
I don't know it looked like Reneesgotzip was pulling up to her side with momentum but backed off once she got smacked in the face.Just watched the replay again and it looks even more obvious.I had Made To Love Her so I'm not bitter just seems to me it would have gone a little differently if it wasn't a Baffert .