PDA

View Full Version : Horrific Storms

Shelby
03-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Just wanted to say that I hope everyone is safe and unharmed after yesterdays record-breaking tornado outbreak.

Please check in and let us know you're ok (((hugs)))

Greyfox
03-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Just wanted to say that I hope everyone is safe and unharmed after yesterdays record-breaking tornado outbreak.

Please check in and let us know you're ok (((hugs)))

I watched some of the TV footage on those storms last evening.
It must be absolutely horrifying to be in the midst of one of those.
Like Shelby, I hope everyone in those areas who are on this board survived the devastation and hopefully your homes are intact.

Greyfox

Tom
03-03-2012, 01:11 PM
They showed a trailer that was blown off it's pad, and right behind it was the trailer that got leveled by the last tornado, still wrapped around a tree.
Two direct hits.

Sad to see all the devastation.

boxcar
03-03-2012, 01:18 PM
There is nothing like the fury of nature. It must be terrifying to experience those things. I know I have lived through a couple of fierce hurricanes and it's no picnic. I don't know who lives in the affected areas, but my prayers will go out for the safety of all who do.

Boxcar

Overlay
03-03-2012, 01:22 PM
I live in Limestone County, Alabama, just west of Huntsville, which is in Madison County. There were two tornadoes over in Athens, the Limestone County seat, about fifteen miles to the west, and a lot of damage there (but no deaths reported). I'm surprised one didn't come closer to us, considering how threatening the sky looked. I was buying a newspaper at a nearby convenience store yesterday morning when a guy rushed in, plunked some money down, and said he needed to get gas and get back home right away, because he had just found out (I assume by cell phone call) that his house had been hit. I understand that the path of the storms was very similar to the last big tornado outbreak in the area here (before we moved here from Oklahoma last year). I thought that Oklahoma was tornado alley, but Alabama could lay claim to that title just as well.

sandpit
03-03-2012, 01:48 PM
My home is about 20 miles from where several of the tornadoes hit in southern Indiana. We were fortunate that the storm weakened in our area east of Louisville, only knocked power out for a couple of hours.

As people started to sift through the destruction, the local Indiana authorities were on TV this morning saying thank you for the generous outpouring of people coming to volunteer, but there were too many and they were causing traffic problems for the emergency vehicles trying to get around on the country roads.

With tornado season really not even here yet, this year has not started too well at all.

Shelby
03-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Sandpit, I said the same thing to my husband last Tuesday. It's been SO unseasonably warm here. I wonder if it will be a bumpy spring?

We had a tornado 5 miles west of us that evening. It was pitch black. I hate not being able to see what's out there.

I love to storm chase and have gotten some neat storm pictures, but I never want any destruction of lives or homes etc.

Greyfox
03-03-2012, 02:19 PM
I thought that Oklahoma was tornado alley, but Alabama could lay claim to that title just as well.

Ever suspect that they're following you like Joe Btfsplk? I live in the North. Don't move by my place.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/22/Joe_Btfsplk_Excerpt.png/800px-Joe_Btfsplk_Excerpt.png (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/22/Joe_Btfsplk_Excerpt.png)

GaryG
03-03-2012, 02:23 PM
NE Tennessee is not normally tornado country, but we were hit hard by the big ones last April and had a warning up until the wee small hours this morning. Lots of wind and hail damage, but that was all. My wife's family is from a tiny coal mining town in VA called St. Charles. They were under the gun for quite a while, but I guess it is still there. A town like that could be removed from the map by a tornado.

Overlay
03-03-2012, 04:12 PM
There were two tornadoes over in Athens, the Limestone County seat, about fifteen miles to the west, and a lot of damage there (but no deaths reported). I'm surprised one didn't come closer to us, considering how threatening the sky looked.
My wife and I were out driving around earlier this afternoon, and the storms came a lot nearer than we had thought (about five miles to the north of us). I don't know whether a tornado actually touched down there or not, but numerous homes had major damage, and the police had set up roadblocks.

Marshall Bennett
03-03-2012, 07:54 PM
My prayers to all those in need. Good luck!!
Seems unfair the same part of the country keeps getting pounded. We in East Texas suffered through two hurricanes (Rita & Ike) in 3 years so I know the feeling. These storms they're suffering through however, are even more unpredictable and devastating.

Ocala Mike
03-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Greyfox, you really jogged my memory with those Joe B. cartoons. Haven't seen those in ages!

Seriously, though, I hope those twisters stay away from here. We live in a mobile home on a small horse farm, and there's nowhere for us to run to expect for a narrow culvert that drains my lower pasture. Would probably have to ride it out like we did those bad hurricanes back in 2004.

Ocala Mike

Grits
03-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Glad you all and your families are safe, and hoping those not posting yet are safe and unharmed as well. Nature can create more fear in us, more humility in us, and more gratitude in us than anything I can think of.