PDA

View Full Version : RTN online version?

bkeefe
03-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Any RTN subscribers hear any word of when the online edition will be released? I don't really want to switch to satelitte and I would love to be able to get the feeds on my iPad everywhere I went. Thanks for your input.

Dave Schwartz
03-02-2012, 10:35 PM
I have not heard of this.

Do you have a link?

bkeefe
03-03-2012, 12:22 AM
On their website www.rtn.tv, the bottom of the page says " We will be launching an internet and mobile phone version of RTN. Details will be announced when we are ready to launch." It has been up for a few months and they did not return my email about the status.

Dave Schwartz
03-03-2012, 12:41 AM
That would be just awesome!

Thanks for the link.

Track Phantom
03-03-2012, 12:46 AM
I have RTN through DiSH. Nothing better...

Dave Schwartz
03-03-2012, 09:53 AM
I totally agree. Moving the programming from RTN to Dishnet was a wonderful idea.

JimG
03-03-2012, 10:05 AM
On their website www.rtn.tv (http://www.rtn.tv), the bottom of the page says " We will be launching an internet and mobile phone version of RTN. Details will be announced when we are ready to launch." It has been up for a few months and they did not return my email about the status.

Unfortunately that quote has been there for a year and a half. I emailed them a couple of months ago and asked if it was still in the works. I got an abrupt reply that said they had my email address and would let me know when/if it becomes available.

Jim

Lasix67
03-03-2012, 10:38 AM
RTN on Dish is the Bomb!!!!

toussaud
03-03-2012, 11:56 AM
pardon my ignorance but what would be the difference between RTN online and your regular ADW account? serious question.

JimG
03-03-2012, 12:02 PM
pardon my ignorance but what would be the difference between RTN online and your regular ADW account? serious question.

Hopefully a faster speed and better video since that would be its sole purpose. Opportunity to watch some greyhound tracks in addition to horse racing.

Jim

melman
03-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Jim---Do you have FIOS in your area? I find it fantastic. You can chose your speed on sign up.

JimG
03-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Jim---Do you have FIOS in your area? I find it fantastic. You can chose your speed on sign up.

Hi Mel,

I do but my speed with my cable company is very good. The problem is the ADW's except TVG do not donate more than 300kbs for video. TVG does 600kbs and it looks much better hooked up to my big screen.

As an aside, MLBtv looks like hd on my computer hooked to tv and it is streamed. So the capability is there to stream nice looking video if the connection is fast. Of course it costs money to provide.

Jim

melman
03-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Jim--Your one smart guy. Did not want to "thread drift" with FIOS on horse racing. It's MLB.tv that I LOVE on FIOS. Just great reception.

BreadandButter
03-04-2012, 02:37 AM
I have Dish, RTN package and the Dish Sling. Then I downloaded a free Dish app for the Ipads, EVO phones etc.. With this I'm able to watch anything I can on my Dish receiver on my Ipads, phones etc. - live events, anything recorded on my dvr, I can even set events to be recorded away from home, full functionality. I can even rewind, pause etc. remotely.

You also need to have a relatively fast internet connection at home - as the Dish Sling takes the content from your Dish receiver and then sends it via the web to your remote devices.

JustCoolGene
03-04-2012, 09:02 AM
I talked with someone at RTN early last year about their supposedly upcoming Internet version. I don't remember all the details but they told me that RTN is partially owned or somehow closely connected with Churchill Downs-TwinSpires-BRIS. Maybe that's why the Internet version hasn't been released!

Gene

David-LV
03-04-2012, 10:14 AM
I talked with someone at RTN early last year about their supposedly upcoming Internet version. I don't remember all the details but they told me that RTN is partially owned or somehow closely connected with Churchill Downs-TwinSpires-BRIS. Maybe that's why the Internet version hasn't been released!

Gene

RTN, is privately owned by Todd Roberts and RTN racing channels has been a Dish exclusive from the very beginning many years ago.

________
David-LV

ROBERTS COMMUNICATIONS NETWORK

4175 CAMERON ST, STE B
LAS VEGAS, NV 89103-3772 |
(http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=4175+CAMERON+ST,+STE+B,+LAS+VEGAS,+NV,+891033772 +US+&z=14&iwloc=addr)
(702) 365-1875|
www.rcnmail.com (http://www.rcnmail.com/)

COMPANY DETAILS

Location Type: Headquarters

Industry: Cable and Other Pay Television Services

Ownership: Private

Year Founded: 1979

Sales Range: $25,000,000 to $74,999,999

Employees: 20 to 50

Dave Schwartz
03-04-2012, 11:30 AM
RTN racing channels has been a Dish exclusive from the very beginning many years ago.

David, you are mistaken.

I was an RTN subscriber for several years BEFORE it was available on Dishnet. In fact, like others here, we waited impatiently for almost a year after the announcement for it to show up on Dish.

Dave

David-LV
03-04-2012, 12:11 PM
David, you are mistaken.

I was an RTN subscriber for several years BEFORE it was available on Dishnet. In fact, like others here, we waited impatiently for almost a year after the announcement for it to show up on Dish.

Dave

You are right, what I meant was that RTN have no connection or is partially owned or somehow closely connected with Churchill Downs-TwinSpires-BRIS or any other tracks, except that they send the feeds from these tracks, which in the long run helps the handle.

_______
David-LV

bkeefe
03-04-2012, 12:22 PM
David,

You said you know the owner? Can you inquire about the online edition for us?

David-LV
03-04-2012, 06:35 PM
David,

You said you know the owner? Can you inquire about the online edition for us?

Will do sometime early this week.

_________
David-LV

bkeefe
03-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks!

David-LV
03-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Will do sometime early this week.

_________
David-LV

Was able to get answer today.

It is in the works and has been for quite a while with no timeline right now due to lots of technical and policies items that have to be worked out with the different companies and race tracks that will be involved with this type of service.

_________
David-LV

Prairie Bettor
03-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Does anyone know about the latency issue? As in, how can I get nearest to realtime signal?

I've tried several different ADW's, and have found Twinspires Express video to be nearest to realtime. Even faster than their own Twinspires TV.

I have not been able to compare the Dish Network offering to the Twinspires Express video. Can someone that has Dish Network RTN do that for me? Thanks in advance. I would love to get RTN, but am afraid that it is slower than what I currently get online.

Or, if anyone knows of a faster video source, I would be much appreciated to hear of it. I play harness and try to play the bell, much harder to do that than in the past.

Dave Schwartz
03-05-2012, 08:06 AM
I play online all the time, often with other people connected in our Skype chats. As a general rule, while I am watching a race (RTN via Dishnet), the people watching via the web are anywhere from 5 seconds behind to as much as 20 seconds.

With out a doubt, the Dishnet signal is the fastest.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

David-LV
03-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Any RTN subscribers hear any word of when the online edition will be released? I don't really want to switch to satelitte and I would love to be able to get the feeds on my iPad everywhere I went. Thanks for your input.

This is the latest info as of Monday 3/5/12

NDS who owns RTN has set a launch date of April 16 with a cost of $15 per month for the streaming of all tracks.

_______
David-LV

bkeefe
03-05-2012, 06:30 PM
That's awesome! I never thought it would cost that little. Can not wait!

thespaah
03-06-2012, 10:58 PM
RTN, is privately owned by Todd Roberts and RTN racing channels has been a Dish exclusive from the very beginning many years ago.

________
David-LV

ROBERTS COMMUNICATIONS NETWORK

4175 CAMERON ST, STE B
LAS VEGAS, NV 89103-3772 |
(http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=4175+CAMERON+ST,+STE+B,+LAS+VEGAS,+NV,+891033772 +US+&z=14&iwloc=addr)
(702) 365-1875|
www.rcnmail.com (http://www.rcnmail.com/)

COMPANY DETAILS

Location Type: Headquarters

Industry: Cable and Other Pay Television Services

Ownership: Private

Year Founded: 1979

Sales Range: $25,000,000 to $74,999,999

Employees: 20 to 50
Actually, the only connection RTN had with Dish before the service appeared on Dish, is RTN subs used one of two Dish receivers. This was because RTN was leasing satellite transponders from Dish.

thespaah
03-06-2012, 11:11 PM
As long as bandwidth limitations remain as they are, even the fastest internet connections (save T-1 lines and some fiber lines) will not match the video quality of television broadcast signals.
The on-line version of RTN would be a viable alternative for those who either do not want Dish or cannot get it( for whatever the reason).

Mike_412
03-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Back on 12/28, I had sent an e-mail to RTN customer service inquiring about the online version. Earlier tonight I received this reply. Nothing like waiting 75 days to hear about a potentially poor business decision.

"Currently, we are expecting to launch the online application on or around April 15, 2012. RTN online and mobile will be available to customers who are subscribers of our television package on the DISH Network. The cost is anticipated to be around $15 per month.

If you are not a subscriber to the RTN television package, the online version may be restricted or unavailable to you. A decision has not been made yet with regard to whether potential customers who are unable to receive the television package due to a technical reason will be able to subscribe to the online version for a separate fee. We will certainly make this information available to the public once a decision has been made."

Thank you,

Peter Blackmon

Director of Operations – Distribution Services

Roberts Communications Network, LLC

4175 Cameron Street, Suite B-10

Las Vegas, NV 89103

bkeefe
03-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Got the same email this evening :(