PDA

View Full Version : No, I'm not a "carpetbagger."

Grits
02-29-2012, 11:06 PM
I don't want to hijack that thread upstairs, so I'll share it here in the basement. It was written of me.
Unless you're really a carpetbagger, you ain't just whistling Dixie.

No, I'm not a carpetbagger, I'm a bona fide Southern girl, and yes, I did fly stupid and write ugly words in the thread; we do that sometime. I'm sorry. We try to be proper down here. Here's a little example of how things go.

Two delicate flowers of Southern womanhood, one from Louisiana, the other from Mississippi, were conversing on the porch swing of a large white pillared mansion.

The Louisiana Belle said, "When my first child was born, my husband built this beautiful mansion for me.."
The lady from Mississippi commented, "How very nice."

The first woman continued, "When my second child was born, my husband bought me that fine Cadillac you see parked in the drive."
Again, the belle from Mississippi commented, "How very nice."

The first woman boasted, "Then, when my third child was born, my husband bought me this exquisite diamond bracelet."
Yet again, the second of the ladies commented, "How very nice."

The first woman then asked her companion, "What did your husband buy for you when you had your first child?"

"My husband sent me to charm school," declared the Mississippi belle.

"Charm school!?!?!", the first woman cried, "Land sakes, child, what on earth for?"

The Mississippian responded, "So that instead of saying 'Who gives a shit?'
I learned to say, "How very nice."

Dave Schwartz
02-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Perfect ending.

Style, panache and just a hint of southern pulchritude.

Grits
03-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Dave, you're a gem. Lived here my entire life; our ways are, simply, born. Southern women aren't taught these. We do, though, have a streak! :faint:

Carpetbaggers, need not apply. We can spot one a mile away. :lol:

I should change my sig line for a while.

TJDave
03-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Dirt poor farmer strikes it rich and marries the barely-legal, Daisy May type, neighbor's daughter. She's a bit rough around the edges so he ships her off to charm school. Six-months later she steps off the train complete with matching lace gloves, parasol and hoop skirt and exclaims..."Husband, have you been blue since I've been gone?"

"Damn it girl, what all did they teach you in charm school? The word is blown."

Dave Schwartz
03-01-2012, 12:10 PM
"How very nice."

That one just cracked me up, but yours was good, TJ.

Rookies
03-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Heard that one before, with suitable location changes for different audiences. It's a great line, normally based on the outrageous, gauche, boasting of the nouveau riche... who... have never learned to act, like they've been there before! ;)

GaryG
03-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Atlanta, Raleigh and Charlotte have been overrun by carpetbag northerners. Not so much here in the mountains, but we see ton of Flahrida tourists.
First question to ask a northerner: What part of the north are you from?
Second: When are you going back?
I like to scare them with stories that the guys from Deliverence live back in those woods.

Grits: Keep on rockin in the free world :ThmbUp:

Shelby
03-03-2012, 10:52 AM
I normally say "Well, bless your heart."

;)

ElKabong
03-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Being born (1955) and raised in Dallas & Ft Worth, my opinion is that the influx of people from all over (not just "the north") has been a blessing.

We've been able to attract a lot of talented people from other parts of the country, north Tx has benefited from these individuals. Engineers, medical professionals, etc etc....It's made this a better place. The crowded, more congested traffic is a drag...., but overall, this place has offered people here opportunities that have talent and initiative.

Those are the type of people I enjoy being around

BTW the nicest people I've come across aren't from the south, or southwest, or TX, etc....easily, Minnesota and Wisconsin wins that hands down. Those people are overly nice, if anything///and Minn and Wisc ain't south

Tom
03-03-2012, 12:30 PM
I like to scare them with stories that the guys from Deliverence live back in those woods.

You won't scare a New Yorker with that...up here, we elect those guys to state government!:D

Grits
03-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Atlanta, Raleigh and Charlotte have been overrun by carpetbag northerners.

Grits: Keep on rockin in the free world :ThmbUp:

Gary, I try. Honestly I do! :lol: You're right, we got loads of transplants. The good thing? The cost of living is less. They sell a small to average size home up north, then move here and build a large one--they have this sizable profit because the housing prices up north are more, as we know. (Though, I assure you, the quality isn't a bit better.) Upon completion, before their builder can get the C.O. papers to move them in, the landscape architect has to get the showcase lawn completed. By the time they've spent all this, in addition to the cash they spent or credit card debt they added due to overages on the house--they're cooked. But, they're happy and joining the country clubs. So all is cool.

Several years ago, (the former spouse, who's a general contractor and has been building homes since the 70s,) was building for a transplanted banker. We had a conversation in his soon to be front yard one afternoon.

He said, "the reason I got my MBA is so I can pay other people to do this stuff, so I wouldn't ever have to do manual labor like your husband and these sub contractors. I'm well paid for my knowledge."

First, I said, "How nice." Then, I said, "My husband's well paid for his knowledge as well. When needed, he can do the majority of the labor his subs do. He's like that. Too, another reason he's been successful in business? When he's dealing with high minded, know it alls like you, he automatically tacks 25% more on his quote to build your house. Before you even sign the contract."

Gary, he got mad at me, got in his Benz and left tire marks on his new concrete driveway. I hated it for him. :lol:

We do like it down here don't we, and we don't mind taking their money! LOLOL

PaceAdvantage
03-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Grits clearly isn't the "customer service" type I can see... :lol:

Grits
03-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Grits clearly isn't the "customer service" type I can see... :lol:

Au contraire!!!! He came back and apologized after 5pm. Guess that was after he'd spend the rest of the afternoon sharing his well paid knowledge.

Probably shared some of mine, too. Along with his added expletives!! Sure made a fine profit on that particular house!!!! :lol:

PaceAdvantage
03-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Au contraire!!!! He came back and apologized after 5pm. Guess that was after he'd spend the rest of the afternoon sharing his well paid knowledge.

Probably shared some of mine, too. Along with his added expletives!! Sure made a fine profit on that particular house!!!! :lol:It was a risky move by you, even though he was clearly acting like a tool. Your words could have caused him to drive off with that nice profit you ultimately made...

Thus my comment... :p

Rookies
03-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Several years ago, (the former spouse, who's a general contractor and has been building homes since the 70s,) was building for a transplanted banker. We had a conversation in his soon to be front yard one afternoon.

He said, "the reason I got my MBA is so I can pay other people to do this stuff, so I wouldn't ever have to do manual labor like your husband and these sub contractors. I'm well paid for my knowledge."First, I said, "How nice." Then, I said, "My husband's well paid for his knowledge as well. When needed, he can do the majority of the labor his subs do. He's like that. Too, another reason he's been successful in business? When he's dealing with high minded, know it alls like you, he automatically tacks 25% more on his quote to build your house. Before you even sign the contract."

Gary, he got mad at me, got in his Benz and left tire marks on his new concrete driveway. I hated it for him. :lol:

Up north of TO is cottage country- generally 3 hours away. Some of the similar, very well heeld, genii from the big city go up there and tend to put the blow in hard. They do similar- hire the locals to do various labour projects on their cottage-homes.

And then occasionally dick them around regarding payment.

In one instance, the TO high flyer got a call from the local:" Buddy, you have 4 hours to get up here and pay me or the chain I've got wrapped around your cottage and tied to my truck is going to get a swift tug at about 60mph!"

Buddy was there in 3.25... :lol:

Grits
03-04-2012, 12:14 AM
And the guy above says I made a "risky move." I don't think so. :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
03-04-2012, 12:27 AM
And the guy above says I made a "risky move." I don't think so. :rolleyes:You risked losing his business. Whatever...doesn't matter...it all worked out anyway.

Grits
03-04-2012, 12:38 AM
You risked losing his business. Whatever...doesn't matter...it all worked out anyway.

Yes, I did. But, as you say, I was dealing with a tool, and I knew it. And I also knew the contract was between the contractor (my husband) and the homeowners. My name's not on the contract.

I also knew the tone to use and to smile when I told him. Its probably what brought him to an entirely different demeanor throughout the rest of the construction of their home.

But you're right its of no consequence today.

There are other things posted that are.

FiveWide
03-04-2012, 11:31 AM
First, I said, "How nice." Then, I said, "My husband's well paid for his knowledge as well. When needed, he can do the majority of the labor his subs do. He's like that. Too, another reason he's been successful in business? When he's dealing with high minded, know it alls like you, he automatically tacks 25% more on his quote to build your house. Before you even sign the contract."

I'm a firm believer in never pissing off:

1. Food service staff
2. Medical doctors (especially if they're operating on ya)

Looks like I need to add a third, the home builder. :D

-Five

JustRalph
03-04-2012, 03:06 PM
define carpetbagger ?

GameTheory
03-04-2012, 03:34 PM
define carpetbagger ?Although it used to mean something, modern practice seems to range from "Northerner-that-has-come-to-the-South that I don't like" to "Any Northerner-that-has-come-to-the-South at all and I don't like any of them just on principle".

chickenhead
03-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Southerners are strange and proud folk. :)

I thought it meant specifically a Northern who came to the South to take advantage of them in some way, e.g. to steal their wealth.

For the record us Northerners (or Westerners) don't have any bad names for Southerners that move in. We just call them neighbors.

Southern hospitality. It's complicated. :faint:

Dave Schwartz
03-04-2012, 04:01 PM
We just call them neighbors.

LOL - Or Rednecks.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Please note that Mr. Schwartz's use of the
word "redneck" was meant in a kind and
polite sort of way, as Mr. Schwartz does
not have an unkind bone in his body.

Well, it seems that Dick Schmidt's The Voices have gotten control of my PA account.

chickenhead
03-04-2012, 04:06 PM
:) Absolutely right Dave

But it should be noted rednecks are a native species as well, we don't reserve it for Southerners, or imports of any kind. My family is about 2/3 rednecks....and we've been here forever.