PDA

View Full Version : Withdrawal, Anyone?

MikeH
12-22-2003, 09:37 PM
4 consecutive days with no major tracks running, (and only a few minor ones!)!

Who's going to check into GA? :)

so.cal.fan
12-23-2003, 12:48 AM
Gee Mike, you can go watch workouts at Clocker's Corner.....the past performances will probably be available tomorrow....you can do your homework. You can read all the interesting posts on the good horseracing boards like this one. If that isn't enough..........
rent or buy the Seabiscuit DVD or maybe just take a couple of days OFF........go see the holiday light display in Hastings Ranch or listen to Christmas music........I wish I still had a record player....I still own the Joe Hernandez famous races recording.....we always listened to that on Christmas....getting ready for the next day......SANTA ANITA OPENS!

trying2win
12-23-2003, 01:26 AM
So Cal Fan,

--That was interesting that you mentioned record players. I still have three of them. Haven't used them for ages, but I think one needs a new cartridge head, and the other two just need new needles. Hmm...I wonder if any store still sells things like that anymore? It would be nice to play some of those old LP'S I still have sitting around.

--Thanks for the reminder about Santa Anita starting on Boxing Day. Hopefully they'll have a lot more bigger fields running than Hollywood Park did.

Regards,

Trying2win

Tom
12-23-2003, 07:15 PM
You can still buy them new. there are sites on the web where you buy replacment needles, cartridgese, belts, etc. I bought some replacement needles last year-great service.
I have records going back to 1962 and some will never make it to CD (really wonder how some of them made it to vinyl!?).
Hey, remeber how we used to get skips out of records?
Used to put coins on top of the arm so the weight would drive the needle through. I have some old records with notes on them. like 30 cents, 17 cents, 45 cents.....it told me how many coins to tape on to play that particular record!

trying2win
12-24-2003, 12:25 AM
Tom,

--Thanks for the tip about the record players. I didn't realize that you could still buy them new. It was nice to find out about where you could buy replacement needles, as well.

--Kept some of the old LP's, but not the 8-track tapes. It appears my VHS video recorder's' days are numbered too. The DVD's have taken over. Just wish I had kept some of those old baseball cards, hockey cards and comic books I had about 50 years ago. Might have been able to sell some of those old items today for a tidy sum. Oh well, just like at the races...shoulda, woulda, coulda....

--Back to the handicapping topic...I'd better go study the Philadelphia card for Dec. 24, or else I might start suffering from horse race betting withdrawal symptoms!

Thanks,

Trying2win