PDA

View Full Version : Gotham

Jasonm921
02-28-2012, 11:24 PM
With the Gotham this week let's look back twenty years ago to Lure and Devil His Due. http://www.flickr.com/photos/easygoer/2293959728/

redshift1
02-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Run later that year on April 4th with the Wood on the 18th followed by the KD on May 2nd. Three tough races in 4 weeks, wow.

turninforhome10
02-29-2012, 12:39 AM
With the Gotham this week let's look back twenty years ago to Lure and Devil His Due. http://www.flickr.com/photos/easygoer/2293959728/

The race that I fell in love with Lure. My all time favorite horse. Paid 500 for the halter he wore in the Breeders Cup ( Even if he did not I dont care, It has his name plate and I evision even his sweat) Corny I know but when he won the Breeders cup from the parking lot at SA he was the man forever to me. My first big score(small by most standards) but none the less he made me a fan forever.
Devil His Due is the only horse I know of that ever ran for the IRS when the stable got into money trouble. Correct me if I am wrong.
What is the Gotham named for?

redshift1
02-29-2012, 12:46 AM
More on Lure:

http://www.tmeter.com/horses/lure.html

turninforhome10
02-29-2012, 12:58 AM
I loved the battles between him and Paradise Creek. The years of 93 and 94 were some of the best turf racing ever in my 21 years of handicapping. Shug did a hell of job with him. I am really disappointed that he was never able to reproduce himself :(

KirisClown
02-29-2012, 01:06 AM
I loved the battles between him and Paradise Creek. The years of 93 and 94 were some of the best turf racing ever in my 21 years of handicapping. Shug did a hell of job with him. I am really disappointed that he was never able to reproduce himself :(

The turf racing was really spectacular back then..

Lure actually did reproduce, his fertility was very hit or miss though.. the most famous of his offspring is probably England's Legend. A grade I winner of almost 1 million..

turninforhome10
02-29-2012, 01:19 AM
The turf racing was really spectacular back then..

Lure actually did reproduce, his fertility was very hit or miss though.. the most famous of his offspring is probably England's Legend. A grade I winner of almost 1 million..

Yes she was very nice and I enjoyed watching her. I was thinking more of establishing a sire line but alas that will not happen. He is happy now being home in KY and pensioned due to fertility.

Your avatar was a hell of racehorse.

PaceAdvantage
02-29-2012, 01:22 AM
Wow...20 years...those were the days...from 1989 through 1995 was a great time to be a horse racing fan...from Sunday Silence/Easy Goer through Holy Bull and Cigar and everything in between...

turninforhome10
02-29-2012, 01:27 AM
Wow...20 years...those were the days...from 1989 through 1995 was a great time to be a horse racing fan...from Sunday Silence/Easy Goer through Holy Bull and Cigar and everything in between...

Amen

KirisClown
02-29-2012, 02:11 AM
Another nice running of the Gotham...

BcW48FpMjg0

Tom
02-29-2012, 07:58 AM
I still remember the NY road to the Derby.....Swift, Bay Shore, Gotham, Wood.
Never got to bet much else.

Cholly
02-29-2012, 08:42 AM
Mr. Clown, Nice...thanks for posting Easy Goer's Gotham run.

That was one pretty laid-back race call.

Rise Over Run
02-29-2012, 08:06 PM
And that track record for 1 mile still stands.

MNslappy
02-29-2012, 09:05 PM

what a performance, first time I've ever seen that race.

and, what a humorously understated race call.

sandpit
02-29-2012, 09:58 PM

Fittingly, his very first offspring was Orpen, 2yo champ in England and now standing stud in France.

Lure has to be the best horse never named a champion. He set three track records in his career, at GP, Belmont and CD, and in the Bernard Baruch, I read once that he ran every quarter mile faster or equal to the previous one, which is unheard of.

I was fortunate enough to spend some time around him when he was in training, and he was really a kind horse. When he would walk to the track in the mornings, he would stand stone still and just watch the surroundings until he wanted to go. His exercise rider Lena said she just had to wait until he was ready. After the 2010 BC Classic, I congratulated Seth Hancock's wife on Blame's win, and I asked her how Lure was, and she seemed genuinely pleased that I inquired and said he was doing wonderful and really enjoying himself. He's 22 now, so he's getting up there. It would be great if he was accessible to visitors in the next few years.

Jasonm921
03-01-2012, 11:12 AM
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=13597794%40N05&q=lure&m=text. More pics of him during his prime.