PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good biz model?

Larry Hamilton
12-22-2003, 03:59 PM
I recently changed hard drives and upgraded OS to XP Professional. My YouBet would not load on the CD they provided some years ago. I call up you bet, and received this response, "We have no CDs on hand and don't know when a new run will be done, but it will not be any time soon."

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm As one of the first clients of YouBet, I decided to give them one more shot.

"You mean I have to go on the internet and use the site?" response--"Yes'

I go on the net and get an error message saying, "You cannot use Netscape on this site, only MS..." I use Netscape, as it puts a smaller bullseye on my back.

Next conversation:

"Please close my account...."

She says, "Do you mind if I ask why"

I repeat, "hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I dont feel like I am quitting, I feel like you are throwing me out"

LurkingBettor
12-22-2003, 06:12 PM
Larry,

Not good, but very typical of businesses these days.

Seems like you have to beg them to spend money with them, then they sell you an inferior "product".

Then they act like YOU'RE at fault when you call to complain and/or get your money back.

My rant for the day,
LB

Tom
12-22-2003, 07:05 PM
Although the quality of the product is excellant and improved greatly over the last few years, YouBet customer service is on par with that of DRF......it sucks.
Thier tech people do not know very much about their product or why things go wrong.
They have a par answer for most issues....did you re-boot?
My opinion is the root cause is they do not spend adequate money on thei infrastructure-we based business is not like opening a corner bakery. What sets companies apart is thier cutting edge technology, theire motivated, committed work force, or their state of the art equipment. You Bet might be cutting costs a little bit, methinks.

JustRalph
12-22-2003, 07:12 PM
what happens when you try to load the cd? curious.....

Larry Hamilton
12-22-2003, 11:59 PM
I have version 3.0 on cd, the actual running version is over 4. IT WONT LOAD...

I am really sorry I started this. Its their business, they can run it in the ground if they choose. Nothing I say or think willl have impact, so I appear to be bitchin' in the wind--not a place where I am comfortable.

ceejay
12-23-2003, 10:19 AM
About a year and a half ago, Youbet told me that they couldn't take my action (from Oklahoma). Nothing changed in the law since then but I was surfing and checked out their FAQ's which does not have Oklahoma as an excluded state. I don't know when they changed policy but you would think that if they wanted my business back they would have e-mailed me when they changed their policy. I guess not....

JimG
12-23-2003, 11:14 AM
Larry,

I am at work so I do not have access to the cd or my home computer so I am working from memory, but I had the same problem and found a fix.

If you type

"install /wipe" at the install rather than just "install" it will install the cd. That skips some stupid check routine they do. I much prefer the cd version to the net version so it was important to me. I run it on XP with no problems now.

If that did not make sense or does not work. Drop me an email and I will help you through it tonight.

Jim

Larry Hamilton
12-23-2003, 12:19 PM
too late, already dumped 'em. There are too many choices out there to put up with nonsense...

PaceAdvantage
12-24-2003, 05:02 AM
Nothing beats YouBet....nothing....Although the CD version is a tad more responsive (because it is software based, not web based), I've moved onto the web site, and have been using that for the better part of two years.....still love it to death.

No, I don't work for YouBet, not I don't collect ANY revenue from YouBet, so don't anyone come bitchin at me that I am shilling. I am just one big happy customer....and I've tried other US-based online services, which shall remain nameless, and could not hold a candle to what YouBet offers all in one package.....

melman
12-24-2003, 09:11 AM
Have to agree with you Mike on your YouBet statements. If I did not live so close to Philly and get plenty of extra benefits I would still be with YouBet. Their overall product with graphics and tote and ease of use are very good. New team in charge seems to have the right idea in many areas of which the small charge for use of their video is right on. Having the video for free only to regular customers who use YouBet services is a good step. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in a service. If only rebates on action then the off shore outfits make sense. Just remember they provide nothing else. They expect you to use someone else's products. Getting harder to do that. LOL

JimG
12-24-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Nothing beats YouBet....nothing....Although the CD version is a tad more responsive (because it is software based, not web based), I've moved onto the web site, and have been using that for the better part of two years.....still love it to death.

No, I don't work for YouBet, not I don't collect ANY revenue from YouBet, so don't anyone come bitchin at me that I am shilling. I am just one big happy customer....and I've tried other US-based online services, which shall remain nameless, and could not hold a candle to what YouBet offers all in one package.....

I agree. After trying many over the last few years, it is the only service I use.

PaceAdvantage
12-24-2003, 10:45 AM
I just wish they would offer that 5% "Winnings Bonus" on some t-bred tracks.