PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to see the pick 5 at NY tracks?

jelly
02-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Would you like to see the pick 5 at NY tracks?

Both pk 5 and 6 or one or the other?

OTM Al
02-27-2012, 08:27 PM
No. There are enough different types of pools already and the addition of another pool that holds out the money for at least half the card each day will help nothing.

shouldacoulda
02-28-2012, 02:22 PM
I would rather see a $1.00 pick six first.

lamboguy
02-28-2012, 02:26 PM
i would rather see them work on trying to make the racing product there more on the level than what it is now like the owner of meadowlands is trying to do there.

cj
02-28-2012, 02:28 PM
I would rather see a $1.00 pick six first.

Pick 6s are driven by carryovers, so moving to a $1 minimum would probably ruin the bet for those that bet the most money I don't see tracks changing that any time soon.

aaron
02-28-2012, 02:44 PM
I'd like to see the .50 pick 5 even though I don' think it would necessary increase handle. I think it could replace the Grand Slam. I believe it would do better than the Grand. Slam,but probably won't increase overall handle.

classhandicapper
02-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Pick 6s are driven by carryovers, so moving to a $1 minimum would probably ruin the bet for those that bet the most money I don't see tracks changing that any time soon.

You are probably right, but I'd like to see a 10 cent pick 6. Then I could play it the way I think it's supposed to be played (which is different than conventional wisdom) and tolerate the ridiculously long losing streaks I would have.

cj
02-28-2012, 04:37 PM
You are probably right, but I'd like to see a 10 cent pick 6. Then I could play it the way I think it's supposed to be played (which is different than conventional wisdom) and tolerate the ridiculously long losing streaks I would have.

No carryovers would doom the bet, but you know that.

melman
02-28-2012, 04:56 PM
cj--I'm not so sure about the "doom the bet". After all NYRA charges a low takeout on the pic6 on non-carryover days and a much higher takeout rate on carryover days. The pic6 bet is popular only in a few places anyway. The pic4 with 15% takeout gets many more tracks handlee up.

cj
02-28-2012, 05:00 PM
cj--I'm not so sure about the "doom the bet". After all NYRA charges a low takeout on the pic6 on non-carryover days and a much higher takeout rate on carryover days. The pic6 bet is popular only in a few places anyway. The pic4 with 15% takeout gets many more tracks handlee up.

I guess it is possible. The difference for the takeouts is that they are trying to get people to bet into the pool when there isn't a carryover. Once they get one, people don't care much about takeout.

1st time lasix
02-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Generally the pic five across the country has a lower take.....as a reuslt i would gravitate to it like i already do elsewhere. The regular player who is oblivious to the take out of the various pools is likely to lose over time no matter how good that person is with selection......... . ( just my humble opinion.) I will rarely play my handicapping opinions into 23-27 %takeouts which is so prevelent ....including NY

thaskalos
02-28-2012, 10:10 PM
A 10-cent Pick-All would be more to my liking...

Indulto
02-29-2012, 08:06 AM
You are probably right, but I'd like to see a 10 cent pick 6. Then I could play it the way I think it's supposed to be played (which is different than conventional wisdom) and tolerate the ridiculously long losing streaks I would have.I think that a dime P6 -- with no consolatio and a take <= 15% along with 5% to a jackpot -- would be a hit with recreational players. It might not make anybody a millionaire, but it sure would be more exciting and lucrative than the Grand Slam. If starting in the first race like CA's P5, why couldn't it co-exist with the conventional P6 in NY?

What I'd really like to see is that dime P6 implemented using the six highest-purse races nationwide on weekends and holidays.

David-LV
02-29-2012, 10:58 AM
A .50 cent pick 5 with a 15% take out on the first 5 races every day would be very popular and would not hurt any of the other pools.

This bet works everywhere else, why not give it a try at the NYRA tracks.

_______
David-LV

JBmadera
02-29-2012, 11:14 AM
not me, I love the P3/P4 but when I have tried to build "affordable" P5 tix I just cannot do it.

Vinman
02-29-2012, 02:28 PM
NYRA would never trade the $2.00 Pick 6 for the Dime "Jackpot" version, so I'd like to see them add a 50 cent Pick 5 on the last 5 races. This way anyone who gets booted in Leg 1 of the Pick 6 already has the Pick 5 handicapped and can play it at 1/4th the minimum wager of the P6.

I'd also like to see NYRA add a 10 cent Place Pick all with a carryover feature, rather than pay out to those with the most winners if less than the total number of races involved.

Vinman

Valuist
02-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Lack of carryovers has never hurt the Pic 3 or Pic 4. Only makes sense to add a $0.50 pic 5.

They have to realize that a limited segment of the betting public can afford four digit Pic 6 tickets day in, day out.

Robert Goren
02-29-2012, 03:00 PM
A new Pick 5 bet at a track is sign that a track is in trouble and doesn't know to do about. At least that's the way it seems. It is gimmick bet that is used to entice bettors to their tracks in hopes that they will stick some money into to some higher takeout pools. The book is still open whether it actually does that to any great degree.
I myself never play it. It requires more capital and more work than I am willing to put into one wager with such a low chance of cashing and still having a positive ROI. I suspect that if you buy ticket with five favorites only the ROI would be awful. A question for people who play the pick 5. How many tickets have you bought that combo in them?

classhandicapper
03-01-2012, 12:19 PM
What I'd really like to see is that dime P6 implemented using the six highest-purse races nationwide on weekends and holidays.

If they did that, I might have 4-5 singles and the bet would cost me less than a $1. :lol:

Vinman
03-01-2012, 01:00 PM
A new Pick 5 bet at a track is sign that a track is in trouble and doesn't know to do about. At least that's the way it seems. It is gimmick bet that is used to entice bettors to their tracks in hopes that they will stick some money into to some higher takeout pools. The book is still open whether it actually does that to any great degree.
I myself never play it. It requires more capital and more work than I am willing to put into one wager with such a low chance of cashing and still having a positive ROI. I suspect that if you buy ticket with five favorites only the ROI would be awful. A question for people who play the pick 5. How many tickets have you bought that combo in them?

A newly installed Pick 5 a sign that a track is in trouble? Nope. Gulfstream and the three major SoCal tracks all put in a 50 cent Pick 5 in the last couple of years as an alternative to the TWO DOLLAR minimum Pick 6. It's all about the 50 cent minimum for the financially strapped PLAYERS Robert....and yes, the tracks will benefit from the additional handle generated by the Pick 5's, as they should.

The Socal tracks are hardly going broke....and Gulfstream's business is booming.

Vinman