PDA

View Full Version : Luck : Trevor. Why do we hear bits and pieces of his calls ?

BeatTheChalk
02-27-2012, 12:17 AM
I dont get it all ?? It makes no sense. Usually I am complaining about
brother Denman talking Too much. ! Why would the Suits connected with
the Film .. decide to give him only a few seconds during the races ? And
dont get me started.

The race that was run Sunday nite :: They couldnt even get it together to show fans in the stands !!! Hell there are only a MILLION pieces of Film that show crowds at SA.

And of course there is no technology to blend in the Crowd and make
it all look very nice. So what the heck am I missing here ???? I give
up. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Ocala Mike
02-27-2012, 10:04 AM
I would think that it's pretty tough to merge shots of a "staged" race in with stock footage, even with today's technology. I enjoyed the "bits and pieces" of Trevor's call and, all in all, I thought the race scene was ok.

Ocala Mike

jdhanover
02-27-2012, 10:42 AM
I caught a few min of it last night. Wasn't it a middle of the week type race?

My guess is they are building up to stakes races with crowds etc.

maddog42
02-27-2012, 10:51 AM
I dont get it all ?? It makes no sense. Usually I am complaining about
brother Denman talking Too much. ! Why would the Suits connected with
the Film .. decide to give him only a few seconds during the races ? And
dont get me started.

The race that was run Sunday nite :: They couldnt even get it together to show fans in the stands !!! Hell there are only a MILLION pieces of Film that show crowds at SA.

And of course there is no technology to blend in the Crowd and make
it all look very nice. So what the heck am I missing here ???? I give
up. :bang: :bang: :bang:

CGI will blend in the crowd with the track and make it look believable. It has been done in quite a few baseball movies. Kind of expensive.

blind squirrel
02-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Well, it's a 1 hour Show,editing is required...i thought Episode 5 was the best Luck,so far.....This might have Dustin Hoffman's best acting in the series.Sleeping outside the stall of the injured horse?....nice scene!

BreadandButter
02-27-2012, 11:21 AM
In a previous episode Hoffman stated something along the lines of - geez there can't be x number of people here - during the running of a race.

His character is trying to get slots at the track etc..

If they showed a huge crowd watching the races it wouldn't flow with the story lines.

GameTheory
02-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Yeah, why show crowds when there aren't any in real life? As far as Trevor, this is a fictional show, not TVG -- the point is the characters and their responses to what is going on, not just the straight presentation of a fictional race. (Unless something truly weird was going on with the editing -- I didn't see episode 5 yet.) I did think it was funny that they had Trevor calling in episode 4, but in the first episode it was someone else. (Was that anybody recognizable? I can only identify a few announcers.)

elhelmete
02-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Yeah, why show crowds when there aren't any in real life? As far as Trevor, this is a fictional show, not TVG -- the point is the characters and their responses to what is going on, not just the straight presentation of a fictional race. (Unless something truly weird was going on with the editing -- I didn't see episode 5 yet.)

this.

PaceAdvantage
02-27-2012, 08:07 PM
The racing scenes in this show are amazingly well shot for the most part...as good or better than any racing movie I've seen...

Except for one thing...damn jocks strangling the horse in order to keep them where they want them to be during the race...I guess it's tough to work around something like this, and for non-hardcore fans it's less than a minor point, but it does take away a bit from what is otherwise excellent racing scenes....

v j stauffer
02-28-2012, 04:43 AM
The racing scenes in this show are amazingly well shot for the most part...as good or better than any racing movie I've seen...

Except for one thing...damn jocks strangling the horse in order to keep them where they want them to be during the race...I guess it's tough to work around something like this, and for non-hardcore fans it's less than a minor point, but it does take away a bit from what is otherwise excellent racing scenes....

I agree. Sharp post. BTW here's a bit of Luck trivia.

The scene you saw where Gary Stevens' character falls and break his collarbone. That was current Emerald Downs jockey Gallyn "booger" Mitchell.

It was take three!! OUCH.

Light
02-28-2012, 12:17 PM
i thought Episode 5 was the best Luck,so far..

I'll second that. It felt like scenes flowed more naturally and the actors were not trying so hard.

I liked the little scene in the bathroom where the jock agent and Escalante are trying to discuss bumping the apprentice jock mount when in walks a stooper and annoys the hell out of the jock agent. That was a good slice of track reality I didn't think the show makers would really understand or put into a scene.

So far, Escalante seems like the most colorful and interesting character to me. I liked the "judge Judy" remark. Cute. They finally lightened up the wheel chair guy with Valium. His attitude is too irritating to take for every episode.

And I agree with PA that the horse race scenes during the running of the races are the best I've seen by far, although a little phony in over extended stretch runs for dramatical effect.

blind squirrel
02-28-2012, 01:07 PM
I liked the little scene in the bathroom where the jock agent and Escalante are trying to discuss bumping the apprentice jock mount when in walks a stooper and annoys the hell out of the jock agent.

Yeah,the "Stooper" was great.I read a review of Luck that said "The Stooper"
was first mentioned by Nelson Algren{The Man With The Golden Arm}as a guy hanging out at a Chicago Race Track..He also said the Stooper looked like the guy
on the cover of Led Zeppelin IV :D

GameTheory
02-28-2012, 01:25 PM
That was a good slice of track reality I didn't think the show makers would really understand or put into a scene.Since the show maker (Milch) is a long-time horseplayer and horse owner I'm sure he's well aware of all the track realities the rest of us are, and then some.

He was also a frat brother of George W. Bush. When this show gets canceled, maybe he'll make *that* show...

thaskalos
02-28-2012, 01:28 PM
I'll second that. It felt like scenes flowed more naturally and the actors were not trying so hard.

I liked the little scene in the bathroom where the jock agent and Escalante are trying to discuss bumping the apprentice jock mount when in walks a stooper and annoys the hell out of the jock agent. That was a good slice of track reality I didn't think the show makers would really understand or put into a scene.

So far, Escalante seems like the most colorful and interesting character to me. I liked the "judge Judy" remark. Cute. They finally lightened up the wheel chair guy with Valium. His attitude is too irritating to take for every episode.

And I agree with PA that the horse race scenes during the running of the races are the best I've seen by far, although a little phony in over extended stretch runs for dramatical effect.

I also agree. This episode was the best so far...

The kinder, gentler "Ace" Bernstein fits Hoffman a lot better, IMO...and makes for a better character, and a better show.

classhandicapper
02-28-2012, 03:03 PM

I thought I was the only one that found that annoying.

elhelmete
02-28-2012, 03:14 PM
I thought I was the only one that found that annoying.

I have a feeling it's because we're seeing the earlier episodes where the horsemen and the operators of the camera truck were still figuring out how to work around each other.

The truck operates awfully close to the horses.

My friend owns a camera truck company here in LA, I'll ask him.

BeatTheChalk
03-01-2012, 11:01 AM
The plot has thickened my brain :bang: Regards Ace and his horse.

I have no idea where that horse came from ? I will look at the episodes
and report back. And one of the horse's shoes came flying off his foot during the race - but nobody mentioned it ! And finally how can somebody have a lucky number of 367 ? :jump:

chickenhead
03-01-2012, 11:15 AM
watched it last night -- I am really happy that they aren't making a day at the track look like anything other than what it really looks like. It felt just like actually being at Santa Anita on a normal day.

Let's Roll
03-04-2012, 07:13 AM
I dropped in on this thread and was reminded of this show, I had heard a few things about it already. All the past episodes were available, I managed to see a few last night and was impressed with the show.Nice to see some familiar faces from real life racing as actors. Looks like a good one !

proximity
03-04-2012, 10:58 PM
i guess it wouldn't be realistic since it's california, but luck needs a scene where jerry stays after a live card and loses a big bet at delta or something. possibly a lone speed horse being inhaled on the turn by a strongly bet sammy breaux runner with no form??

bigmack
03-14-2012, 04:37 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/ThirdHorsesDeathForcesHBOsLuckToSuspendProductionW ithAnimalsCBSLosAngeles.png

davefulche
03-14-2012, 07:11 PM
"David Milch and Michael Mann together with HBO have decided to cease all future production on the series LUCK."

Looks like LUCK is done. Very unforunate but that's what these animals rights groups can do.

Zydeco
03-14-2012, 07:19 PM
"David Milch and Michael Mann together with HBO have decided to cease all future production on the series LUCK."

Looks like LUCK is done. Very unforunate but that's what these animals rights groups can do.

Where does this quote come from?

bigmack
03-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Where does this quote come from?
It's all over Googleheimer. Do a search of the line.

HoofedInTheChest
03-14-2012, 07:28 PM

Say it ain't so, man this week has been a real letdown, southern Ontario has taken a real kick in the pants as far as horse racing is concerned, and now my favorite show is being axed. What's next? Vic gets the gig calling races at Woodbine?

precocity
03-14-2012, 07:55 PM
4:30 PM PT: The crew was assembled for a meeting where they were just told the show is cancelled. They are pissed because production was supposed to last another 8 months and they were just told they will not be getting any severance.

4:20 PM PT: We've just spoken with on-set sources, who tell us the crew has not been told their show was cancelled. They're learning it from TMZ.

HBO has cancelled "Luck" after the latest horse death.

As TMZ reported, yesterday a third horse died during production of the show, and HBO just made the drastic decision to lower the boom.

HBO released a statement that reads in part, "While we maintained the highest safety standards possible, accidents unfortunately happen and it is impossible to guarantee they won't in the future."

The statement goes on ... "We maintained the highest safety standards throughout production, higher in fact than any protocols existing in horse racing anywhere with many fewer incidents than occur in racing or than befall horses normally in barns at night or pastures."

johnhannibalsmith
03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
At least I can cancel HBO again.

Spalding No!
03-14-2012, 08:00 PM
At least I can cancel HBO again.
Game Of Thrones in like 2 weeks.

Vinman
03-14-2012, 08:14 PM
The cancellation of this long awaited, highly acclaimed show, if indeed true, is a rather shocking, unfortunate development, especially given that the latest horse fatality was not racing related and apparently not due to any carelessness on the part of the "LUCK" production team.

Dumb question....have the final two episodes for season 1 already been filmed or did the latest fatality occur during the filming of one of the two final episodes?

Vinman

elhelmete
03-14-2012, 08:21 PM
The cancellation of this long awaited, highly acclaimed show, if indeed true, is a rather shocking, unfortunate development, especially given that the latest horse fatality was not racing related and apparently not due to any carelessness on the part of the "LUCK" production team.

Dumb question....have the final two episodes for season 1 already been filmed or did the latest fatality occur during the filming of one of the two final episodes?

Vinman

they were a couple months deep into shooting season 2...all season 1's episodes are done.

GameTheory

They were filming season 2. Sounds like they will show all of season 1 (which is only 9 episodes) and that will be that.

Doza

Vinman

I believe they were already filiming season 2, so season 1 is probably done.

bigmack
03-14-2012, 08:47 PM
The animal was being led to a stable by a groom when it reared and fell back, suffering a head injury, according to HBO. The horse was euthanized at the track in suburban Arcadia.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/story/2012-03-14/horse-hbo-cancels-luck/53538330/1

Robert Fischer
03-14-2012, 08:57 PM
this STINKS

Blenheim
03-14-2012, 09:09 PM
The series did nothing for the great game. I am glad to see it was cancelled, likely saved the lives of a few good horses.

johnhannibalsmith
03-14-2012, 09:14 PM
The series did nothing for the great game. I am glad to see it was cancelled, likely saved the lives of a few good horses.

Seems like sound logic to cancel the racing industry.

jelly
03-14-2012, 09:14 PM
You can thank the liberal group PETA.

The Horse Racing Industry better learn how to fight back or their Done.

PaceAdvantage
03-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Seems like sound logic to cancel the racing industry.Exactly.

Blenheim
03-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Athletes die in sporting events all the time, yet the games continue . . .
~
I thought the series was garbage when it first came out and the cancellation didn't come soon enough. All "Luck" has left us is the death of three fine horses and the perpetuation of negative stereotypes. Glad to see it go.

PaceAdvantage
03-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Athletes die in sporting events all the time, yet the games continue . . .
~
I thought the series was garbage when it first came out and the cancellation didn't come soon enough. All "Luck" has left us is the death of three fine horses and the perpetuation of negative stereotypes. Glad to see it go.Yes, let's all wear rose colored glasses...that has certainly helped the game... :lol:

Give me a break...everything you saw in Luck to date has actually happened on a racetrack...what did you want? A pretty pony show?

GameTheory
03-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Oh, well, adieu LUCK. I wonder if HBO is ever going to stop letting Milch make shows at all -- Deadwood went three seasons, but none of his shows have gotten good ratings.

otY1sfvELXQ

nijinski
03-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Unfortunately film makers fear Peta . They are well known for their terror tactics. A growing number of folks are wising up though and hopefully will stop funding them. Would love it if the lying creeps were dismantled .
As for the loss of the third horse. This happens with high strung thoroughbreds , No wrong doing here. Just a freak and unfortunate accident.
Years ago when a horse flipped in the Meadowlands paddock , a worker was crushed to death . No one was to blame then either.

Blenheim
03-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Below is the post I made back on 2/19, maybe this will better help you understand my point of view on this series.

Turned on the HBO and was lucky to catch the movie Seabiscuit. I also got to watch most of part one of Luck. Interesting contrast of values between the two - the first embracing what is good about horse racing the second embracing what is bad . . .

How can a horse racing fan embrace a television series that perpetuates the negative stereotypes involved with horse racing? What good can this series do for an already failing sport?

I hope the series fails rather quickly.
~
I guess there are a few ways one can look at this. I was fortunate enough to get to watch Seabiscuit and then in the same few hours watch Luck. I got to see two completely different perspectives on the great game in a relatively short period of time - one positive the other negative. No doubt the producers of Luck were hoping to capitalize on the negative stereotypes involved with the sport . . . gamblin', cheatin', lying, stealin', toss in some sexin' and beat a few people up, you know, the kinda stuff just made for family viewing! http://paceadvantage.com/forum/images/smilies/47.gif

Fortunately for the great game, and for those that love it, their gamble failed.

nijinski
03-14-2012, 10:24 PM
You can thank the liberal group PETA.

The Horse Racing Industry better learn how to fight back or their Done.
That's gonna take work , but it could be done.
The cosmetic industry has cleaned up their act and stopped using anmials for
testing for years now . Peta however will still try to circulate photos from the day of the flood to destroy them. It's all been backfiring though. Folks just need to be educated better on the sneaky tactics of this org .
The racing industry in some areas are allowing more reputable rescue people on the backstretch . Im' happy with this , but it also sends out a messsge that the industry still has licensed some less than desirable folks . That's the stuff PETA loves.