PDA

View Full Version : Stud fee's 2004. EM 100K, Mineshaft 100K, Sky Mesa 30K, Harlans Holiday 17.5K

Suff
12-22-2003, 12:14 PM
Stallion (year of birth, breeding, 2004 stud fee, farm)

Empire Maker (2000, Unbridled--Toussaud, by El Gran Senor, $100,000, Juddmonte Farms, Lexington, Ky.). His trainer, Bobby Frankel, might have been right when he said, "We weren't within 10 lengths of seeing this horse's best race." A contender for top 3-year-old male, millionaire Empire Maker denied Funny Cide the Triple Crown by winning the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) and also beat that rival earlier in the year in the Wood Memorial Stakes (gr. I). His other grade I win came in a 93/4-length score in the Florida Derby (gr. I) in his fourth start. Second in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), he is arguably the best runner by Unbridled and is out of Kentucky's reigning Broodmare of the Year, Toussaud, dam of three other grade I winners.

Mineshaft (1999, A.P. Indy--Prospectors Delite, by Mr. Prospector, $100,000, Lane's End Farm, Versailles, Ky.). The favorite for Horse of the Year and champion older male, millionaire Mineshaft registered Beyer Speed Figures of 116 or better in five of his nine races in 2003. By North America's premier sire of stamina, Mineshaft captured Belmont Park's three most important stakes for 3-year-olds and up beyond a mile on dirt in 2003--the Suburban Handicap (gr. I), Woodward Stakes (gr. I), and Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I)--and also scored a grade I triumph in the Pimlico Special Handicap. His dam is a grade I winner, and so is his full sister, millionaire Tomisue's Delight.

Aldebaran (1998, Mr. Prospector--Chimes of Freedom, by Private Account, $50,000, Darby Dan Farm, Lexington, Ky.). Pronounced All-DEB-uhh-ron and named after one of the brightest stars in the sky, this millionaire son of Mr. Prospector lived up to his name with a dazzling display of speed in the 2003 Forego Handicap (gr. I) at seven furlongs at Saratoga. His 122 Beyer Speed Figure was the highest Beyer of the year on dirt up to a mile and the second-fastest in any division. The favorite for champion sprinter, Aldebaran also won this year's Metropolitan (gr. I) and San Carlos (gr. I) Handicaps and a pair of grade II events. He won or placed in 23 of 25 starts in his career.

Vindication (2000, Seattle Slew--Strawberry Reason, by Strawberry Road, $50,000, Hill 'n' Dale Farm, Lexington, Ky.). Seattle Slew's only unbeaten champion 2-year-old male and a $2.15-million Saratoga yearling, Vindication was an easy choice for top juvenile after winning the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I). He received rave reviews in his very first start. "The 2-year-old son of Seattle Slew looked sensational in his six-furlong debut, winning by an easy 5 1/2 lengths," wrote The Blood-Horse after that Del Mar effort. Trainer Bob Baffert called him "the most exciting 2-year-old I have trained."

Sky Mesa (2000, Pulpit--Caress, by Storm Cat, $30,000, Three Chimneys Farm, Midway, Ky.). A $750,000 Keeneland September yearling, Sky Mesa was an unbeaten grade I winner as a 2-year-old and the joint third-highest-weighted juvenile on the Experimental Free Handicap for males. He started out by winning at Saratoga by 73/4 lengths, then took the Hopeful Stakes (gr. I) at the Spa, followed by the Lane's End Breeders' Futurity (gr. II) at Keeneland. His 3-year-old efforts included a runner-up finish in the Haskell Invitational Handicap (gr. I), with dual classic winner Funny Cide third, and a third-place finish in the Dwyer Stakes (gr. II). Sky Mesa's dam, Caress, won a New York graded stakes over males.

Harlan's Holiday (1999, Harlan--Christmas in Aiken, by Affirmed, $17,500, Airdrie Stud, Midway, Ky.). The richest of the elite group of newcomers, Harlan's Holiday was a graded stakes winner all three years he raced and a grade I winner in two of them. His grade I wins came in the Florida Derby and Toyota Blue Grass Stakes in consecutive starts as a 3-year-old and the Donn Handicap (gr. I) at four. Harlan's Holiday, who earned $3,632,664, also placed in such events as the Dubai World Cup (UAE-I), Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I), Jockey Club Gold Cup (gr. I), and Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. I).

Hold That Tiger (2000, Storm Cat--Beware of the Cat, by Caveat, $15,000, Ashford Stud, Versailles, Ky.). A $1.1-million Keeneland November weanling, Hold That Tiger was a group I winner in France and twice grade I-placed in the U.S. As a 2-year-old, he won the Grand Criterium-Lucien Barriere (Fr-I) and the Anheuser Busch Railway Stakes (Ire-III) and ran third in the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I). His other grade I placing came at age three in the Woodward Stakes (gr. I). A half-brother to Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Editor's Note, Hold That Tiger is by Storm Cat and shares the same second dam as Storm Cat's successful son Hennessy.

Macho Uno (1998, Holy Bull--Primal Force, by Blushing Groom, $15,000, Adena Springs South, Ocala, Fla.). By a Horse of the Year and out of a Kentucky Broodmare of the Year, millionaire Macho Uno captured the 2000 Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) and Grey Breeders' Cup Stakes (Can-I) the year he earned an Eclipse Award. At three, he won the Pennsylvania Derby (gr. III), and at four, took the Massachusetts Handicap (gr. II) and received a 116 Beyer Speed Figure for his effort in the Whitney Handicap (gr. I). Macho Uno's half-brother, Awesome Again, ranks as one of the leading second-crop sires of 2003.

Milwaukee Brew (1997, Wild Again--Ask Anita, by Wolf Power, $15,000, Adena Springs Kentucky, Midway, Ky.). Millionaire Milwaukee Brew became the first horse in history to finish first in two runnings of the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I), thus bettering John Henry's mark, who needed help from the stewards in one of his two wins. Milwaukee Brew registered a 118 Beyer Speed Figure in the 2002 running and a 116 Beyer in 2003. Milwaukee Brew, who earned $2,879,612 in his career, also won a pair of grade II stakes and placed in the 2002 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I).

Century City (1999, Danzig--Alywow, by Alysheba, $12,500, Wintergreen Stallion Station, Midway, Ky.). A grade II winner and a group II winner in Ireland, Century City came within a length of winning the NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) in a third-place effort and ran second to Rock of Gibraltar in the Entenmanns Irish Two Thousand Guineas (Ire-I). A $2.2-million Goffs yearling, he was produced from Canadian Horse of the Year Alywow.

Proud Citizen (1999, Gone West--Drums Of Freedom, by Green Forest, $12,500, Airdrie Stud, Midway, Ky.). Proud Citizen was a colt to be reckoned with in the spring of his 3-year-old season. He captured the Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II) at Keeneland, then ran second in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) and third in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I). As a 2-year-old, Proud Citizen won a maiden race by 9 1/4 lengths at Belmont Park in his second start. Proud Citizen's dam is a half-sister to four stakes winners, and his third dam is Northern Dancer's full sister.

D'wildcat (1998, Forest Wildcat--D'Enough, by D'Accord, $10,000/ Canadian funds, Windfields Farm, Oshawa, Ontario, Canada). It didn't take long for grade I winner D'wildcat to show his speed. He registered a 109 Beyer Speed Figure off a 1:08.76 win at six furlongs as a 3-year-old in his second career start. D'wildcat later won the Frank J. De Francis Memorial Dash Stakes (gr. I), plus the Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II, by way of disqualification) and the Swale Stakes (gr. III) by 101/2 lengths. Another stakes win came on turf.

Kafwain (2000, Cherokee Run--Swazi's Moment, by Moment of Hope, $10,000, Darley at Jonabell, Lexington, Ky.). Kafwain, the co-third highest-weighted juvenile on the 2002 Experimental Free Handicap for males, was a grade II winner both years of racing. He won the Norfolk Stakes (gr. II) as a 2-year-old, and the San Vicente Stakes (gr. II) at three, registering a 115 Beyer Speed Figure off his time of 1:21.12 for seven furlongs. Kafwain also captured the Best Pal Stakes (gr. III), and placed in the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I), Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), and Del Mar Futurity (gr. II).

Posse (2000, Silver Deputy--Raska, by Rahy, $10,000, Vinery, Lexington, Ky.). Three of his five stakes wins came in graded events, including the Riva Ridge Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II). Posse came close to equaling a track record at the Keeneland spring meeting in a 131/2-length score as a 2-year-old and set one for five furlongs in :57.35 at Fair Grounds this year. Fourth in the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I), he won the Nov. 27 Thanksgiving Handicap at Fair Grounds and might contest the Dec. 26 Malibu Stakes (gr. I).

Sligo Bay (1998, Sadler's Wells--Angelic Song, by Halo, $10,000, Adena Springs Kentucky, Midway, Ky.). Sligo Bay's owner, Frank Stronach, hopes the son of Sadler's Wells proves as successful as Sadler's Wells' son, El Prado, who stands at Adena Springs and led the general sires list in 2002. Campaigned initially in his native Ireland, Sligo Bay won the Cinema Handicap (gr. IIIT) in his U.S. debut and later captured the Hollywood Turf Cup Stakes (gr. IT). His dam is a full sister to champions Glorious Song (dam of Rahy and Singspiel) and Devil's Bag as well as Saint Ballado.

Volponi (1998, Cryptoclearance--Prom Knight, by Sir Harry Lewis, $10,000, Hopewell Farm, Midway, Ky.). Volponi's victory in the 2002 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) by 61/2 lengths was the lengthiest in Classic history. Volponi won three other graded stakes and placed in 10 graded stakes. He retired with $3,187,232 in earnings.

Yankee Gentleman (1999, Storm Cat--Key Phrase, by Flying Paster, $10,000, Airdrie Stud, Midway, Ky.). Yankee Gentleman recorded one of the year's highest Beyer Speed Figures, a 117, in winning the six-furlong Pirate's Bounty Handicap at Del Mar. An 11-length winner first time out, Yankee Gentleman is out of grade I winner Key Phrase, and his second dam is a half-sister to one of California's all-time top sires, Pirate's Bounty.

Buddha
12-22-2003, 12:59 PM
I will be looking forward to seeing some EM offspring, and some of the others listed I will like to see race are offsrpring from Mineshaft and Vindication. I always thought Vindication had some talent, but never got to show it other than what you saw as a 2yo.

Suff
12-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Zavata is in thier too,,, only 7500... and Booklet who BEAT Harlans Holiday as well.. he's Out the gate at 6500

But heres the one that makes me scratch my head

Say Florida Sandy (1994, Personal Flag--Lolli Lucka Lolli, by Sweet Candy, $5,000, Buckridge Farm, Stuyvesant, N.Y.). This 19-time stakes winner, who earned $2,085,408, trails only Funny Cide on the list of New York-bred earners.

Black , black and more Black. 19 Stakes wins, over 2 mil in earnings... 5k stud fee?. NYBred. Unbelievable he's 5K.