PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with CCTV people?

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2012, 05:54 PM
So Katie Mikolay is talking about the favorite in the Risen Star (El Padrino), and they are showing the horse in the saddling stall...all of a sudden, something happens...not sure if the horse spooked or kicked or whatever, but the valet is down on the ground, and for some reason, the camera immediately switches off to a shot of the :1: horse strolling around the paddock...

WTF?

Something is happening or has happened regarding the heavy favorite in the race, and the TV coverage immediately TURNS AWAY to something else?

And you see this happen every now and then at MULTIPLE VENUES...

If I had a bet on El Padrino or was contemplating one, I sure as hell wouldn't want to see the camera pull away from this scene until it's obvious what had happened or what hadn't happened...

I really must wonder at times if this entire sport is populated by amateurs at every level.

Or is the directive always to avoid showing anything that might be controversial or might involve injury to horse or human? We're all adults...we can handle it...keep the cameras rolling...

Horseplayersbet.com
02-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Might be the Youtube factor. Not so much their current audience, but the potential after audience.

GameTheory
02-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Or is the directive always to avoid showing anything that might be controversial or might involve injury to horse or human? We're all adults...we can handle it...keep the cameras rolling...Absolutely -- they don't want that stuff seen. They probably don't even want it on tape.

JustRalph
02-25-2012, 08:37 PM
PETA

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Absolutely -- they don't want that stuff seen. They probably don't even want it on tape.I realize that this is most likely the case (they all can't be that incompetent), but really, what a load of BS.

The wagering public is tuning in for real time, up-to-the-minute information on the race, and here you have a real-time incident occurring just as the camera is fortunate enough to be trained on the race favorite, and they IMMEDIATELY cut away!

Whereas the dissemination of accurate, real-time info should be every track's goal, the Fair Grounds crew today did everything in their power to accomplish just the opposite IMO...

Grits
02-25-2012, 09:12 PM
PA, do you also think its right for you to chase ambulances? Or slow down at an accident when a body has been thrown from a vehicle on the interstate? I believe they call it "rubbernecking", and Lord, can it back up and impede traffic flow. Granted you ain't got any "coin" on either, but still . . . . .

We don't know what's wrong with this valet that's on the ground. Sorry, I'm with Ralph and GT on this one. -- Relax, you'll see your horse leave the paddock, or you'll see him scratched. Either way, you'll know before they enter the gate.

turninforhome10
02-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Absolutely -- they don't want that stuff seen. They probably don't even want it on tape.

They do the same when bad actors are at the gate. Two headed coin. We as the bettors would like to see, but keep the outsiders away. Peta needs no more ammo and the little ones probably should not see.

bigmack
02-25-2012, 09:15 PM
I was going to make a case that it ended up not mattering as El P won the race, however... Did Katie Mikolay mention what had happened? If nothing else, they don't have to show the video feed but they could explain to viewers what had happened.

I don't EVAH rubber neck on the highway but I might tune into the local news to find out what happa'. :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2012, 09:19 PM
PA, do you also think its right for you to chase ambulances? Or slow down at an accident when a body has been thrown from a vehicle on the interstate? I believe they call it "rubbernecking", and Lord, can it back up and impede traffic flow. Granted you ain't got any "coin" on either, but still . . . . .

We don't know what's wrong with this valet that's on the ground. Sorry, I'm with Ralph and GT on this one. -- Relax, you'll see your horse leave the paddock, or you'll see him scratched. Either way, you'll know before they enter the gate.No, not even remotely the same thing. The valet wasn't lying prone on the ground. I saw him keeping himself balanced off the ground with his hands and in the process of getting up before the camera abruptly cut away.

But the whole point is, if I am looking to wager on that horse, I want to see what is happening TO THAT HORSE...especially since the camera happens to be on him when this happened.

It has nothing to do with rubbernecking or trying to catch a glimpse of carnage, but everything to do with giving the customer access to real time, potentially PERTINENT info.

Tracks have no problem replaying accidents when there is a stewards investigation. They will replay it any number of times as the stewards try and decide if an infraction caused the accident.

So maybe there is no directive to avoid broadcasting potential calamities to horse or human. Maybe the director of CCTV operations at the Fair Grounds just didn't do a very good job today.

Grits
02-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Alrighty. Gotcha. We're good to go on this one. ;)

Glad you and Mack keep moving on highways.

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2012, 09:22 PM
I was going to make a case that it ended up not mattering as El P won the race, however... Did Katie Mikolay mention what had happened? If nothing else, they don't have to show the video feed but they could explain to viewers what had happened.

I don't EVAH rubber neck on the highway but I might tune into the local news to find out what happa'. :rolleyes:Yes, she quickly mentioned something about the valet "getting in the way" of El Padrino...but like I said, they had the camera on it already...just asinine to cut away like that...

Then again, racing always seems to be behind the curve when it comes to giving the public as much info as possible...

PurplePower
02-25-2012, 09:27 PM
I realize that this is most likely the case (they all can't be that incompetent), but really, what a load of BS.

The wagering public is tuning in for real time, up-to-the-minute information on the race, and here you have a real-time incident occurring just as the camera is fortunate enough to be trained on the race favorite, and they IMMEDIATELY cut away!

Whereas the dissemination of accurate, real-time info should be every track's goal, the Fair Grounds crew today did everything in their power to accomplish just the opposite IMO...
PA - this is not new. As an industry, racing has chosen to avoid anything that might be cause for negative comment by public. I have always thought that it would be better to show what happens so that people can actually see what is done to care for horses (and people). There have been instances at the starting gate where an assistant starter whipped on a horse inappropriately and the track does not want that shown. I think, however, that if that happens it would be better for the public to see that that assistant starter was disciplined, etc.

Obviously, if a horse flips over and bashes its head and is trembling on the ground that would not be something that people would want to see. An optional channel that stays on the scene (stewards view) where fans that want to see could turn would be one possible way to serve both groups.

In Australia, when a horse tosses its rider and runs off the cameras stay with that horse until it is caught. (One reason is because the starting gate is so far from the grandstand that the TV feed is the only way the stewards can see what is going on.)

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Obviously, if a horse flips over and bashes its head and is trembling on the ground that would not be something that people would want to see. An optional channel that stays on the scene (stewards view) where fans that want to see could turn would be one possible way to serve both groups.Obviously, what you describe above is not anywhere near what happened today. And I would have absolutely no interest in watching something like that, and would understand if and when they would cut away from something like that...

But, getting back to what actually happened today...some of you obviously disagree with me, and that's fine. But I'm left wondering, why even bother showing the post parade at all then?

Isn't the whole point of the post parade to show us how the horse looks and how it is reacting to its environment? Yes, it is...

Therefore, if an incident is playing itself out live on camera involving the prohibitive favorite in a graded Derby prep race, wouldn't that be the very WORST time to pull coverage away?

If you disagree, then why bother showing pre-race coverage at all?

Grits
02-25-2012, 09:40 PM
But, honey, he didn't miss the post parade did he? So, why are you still fussing?

bigmack
02-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Isn't the whole point of the post parade to show us how the horse looks and how it is reacting to its environment? Yes, it is...

I once watched Nafa Nadal warming up to see if I wanted to bet against him. The camera caught him picking at his keister and quickly went to Camera II.

Some things are just not meant for tasteful watching. :rolleyes:

Again, I do believe it would be responsible of this fetching lass (or some schmoe) to explain why the shot went away abruptly and what transpired.

http://photos.mycapture.com/ERIE/576039/20050688E.jpg

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2012, 09:55 PM
But, honey, he didn't miss the post parade did he? So, why are you still fussing?If you're not getting what I'm saying by now, either I'm not explaining myself well, or there is some other unknown reason, so it's probably best I bow out...I've said my peace (or is it piece?).

Grits
02-25-2012, 10:08 PM
If you're not getting what I'm saying by now, either I'm not explaining myself well, or there is some other unknown reason, so it's probably best I bow out...I've said my peace (or is it piece?).

I'm sorry. Yes, we're not connecting, but that's ok. It'll pass.

Beachbabe
02-25-2012, 10:40 PM
If you're not getting what I'm saying by now, either I'm not explaining myself well, or there is some other unknown reason, so it's probably best I bow out...I've said my peace (or is it piece?).

I understand you & I believe you're right. This was not a blood & gore thing. It was a case of a horse acting up quite violently in the paddock; kicking out; etc. There was no reason to cut away abruptly as if someone was lying on the ground with his brains beat in. It was enough of an incident that it could have had a bearing on the horse's performance during the race; and could have had an effect on a bettor's evaluation of said horse.

nijinski
02-25-2012, 11:32 PM
They needed Jerry Bailey there to walk the public through the incident .
After the Quality Road gate blunder at the BC I think the public can handle it and make their decisions accordingly.

gillenr
02-25-2012, 11:44 PM
PA, the cameraman may have been instructed prior to the incident to shoot something else after showing the fav & the director cut away on schedule. I agree it should have been left up because it was significant for bettors.

GameTheory
02-26-2012, 01:01 AM
I think they are instructed not to show any horse or person being injured, so if something is going on -- any unusual "commotion" at all -- they will cut away just IN CASE something happens. I don't think they waiting to see if something bad happens so they can then decide whether to show it or not, but they see something weird and potentially dangerous happening -- quick cut to something else! I guarantee no one on these crews feels any obligation to the bettor whatsoever, or even thinks about the purpose of what they are shooting.

Grits
02-26-2012, 09:59 AM
I think they are instructed not to show any horse or person being injured, so if something is going on -- any unusual "commotion" at all -- they will cut away just IN CASE something happens. I don't think they waiting to see if something bad happens so they can then decide whether to show it or not, but they see something weird and potentially dangerous happening -- quick cut to something else! I guarantee no one on these crews feels any obligation to the bettor whatsoever, or even thinks about the purpose of what they are shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax_1ac2vjEY

I've not ever watched this until now, and I won't watch it again.

Incidents happen and everyone knows this possibility exist when humans are gathered among 1200 lb animals that can fly off in an instant while everyone around them can be helplessly unable to control or stop them. I would think many a camera man, many a racetrack learned something on this day. I don't believe they want to keep their cameras rolling on incidents that have the potential to video such harm.

As far as do I need to see what caused my horse to have difficulty? This is the commentator's responsibility. Hopefully, I'll learn soon enough. If my win bet or my pic 3 goes down the toilet, I really don't care. A better bet may be on my exit. I would have been stricken, devastated, overlooking the paddock witnessing it unfold before my eyes, or having viewed it via simulcast. I would have had to leave. I could not have remained for the other races. This, of course, is JMHO. I'm not going to change anyone else's. I feel such incidents are catastrophic for the sport. I know they are for myself.