PDA

View Full Version : Aqu R8 Stewards call

Light
02-25-2012, 04:28 PM
With a call like that,why have stewards? You can block someone without regard for life and limb and the stewards won't change it if they didn't catch it. I think a jock objecting is a bit of an embarrassment to them. They didn't catch it so they try to save face and not change anything.

Maybe next time a jock gets blocked,he should just barrel into the guy in front of him, cause untold damage and sink it into the stewards heads that they are useless for enforcing the safety of the sport.

I'm not complaining about who won. I'm sick and tired of seeing stewards who don't call a technicality when they should and make this sport more unsafe that it already is.

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2012, 04:46 PM
That wasn't as slam dunk a call as you make it out to be...in fact, it's a major stretch to call that a block...he didn't even take the horse's path away...yeah, the winner drifted in SLIGHTLY, but didn't shut off the rail runner...the rail jock bailed after it looked like he MIGHT get shut off completely...but that was by no means an out and out BLOCK as you tell it...

Watching the head on, there is no way I would have DQd the winner.

Watching the pan, it looks slightly more damning...but still...come on...that was no cinch...

Light
02-25-2012, 04:56 PM
It sure looked like a block to me from the head on late in the stretch. That's when Ortiz had to pull his horse up and go around for safety's sake.

I don't know what just happened in the 10th,but 1 or 2 horses went down.

JimG
02-25-2012, 05:02 PM
As a Steward, I would have definitely called for an inquiry. I think it was a close call whether he comes down or not.

Jim

classhandicapper
02-25-2012, 05:42 PM
I would have put up the inquiry sign, but left the result alone.

Had the rider continued whipping right handed, I would have put up the inquiry sign, left the result alone, but called in the rider of the winning horse and given him a few days. Given that he switched to left handed after the horse started drifting in, I wouldn't have bothered calling him in.

My view on these "marginal" calls is that you are better off leaving the result alone and disciplining the rider. There' no way to tell whether the rail horse would have gotten up without any interruption, but had the rider ridden recklessly (which IMO he did not) he should be punished either way.

bigmack
02-25-2012, 05:51 PM
BHRuJV7xZK8

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Looking at it again...I guess I can see more where hcap is coming from...it wasn't as clear to me at first though...which is why I still don't know if I would have DQd the winner...

bigmack
02-25-2012, 06:07 PM
hcap
hcap/light. Tomato/tomahto. :confused:

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I meant light...I've got hcap on the brain from off-topic... :lol: