PDA

View Full Version : Pit Bull Killed After Traffic Stop

Dave Schwartz
02-24-2012, 10:35 PM
http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/Pit_Bull_Killed_After_Traffic_Stop_140368713.html

CARSON CITY, NV - Two people are in custody after a traffic stop in Carson City that led to a dog being shot and killed.

About 2:15pm Friday, a driver was pulled over when young children were seen jumping around in the car, not wearing seatbelts. The driver was found to have an arrest warrant from California, and while deputies were arresting him, the woman in the car got out of the car with a pit bull.

Sheriff Kenny Furlong says the dog bit a deputy and was shot to death by other deputies. No one else was hurt, and the deputy is being treated for bite wounds.

The driver is being held on the theft warrant from California, with the woman arrested for obstruction. Their names haven't been released. The children will be turned over to other family members or child protective services.

My favorite was from the "Comments" below the article:

Should have shot the woman and spared the dog.

johnhannibalsmith
02-24-2012, 10:41 PM
...the woman in the car got out of the car with a pit bull...

...the dog bit a deputy...

And she was...

...arrested for obstruction...

?

You visualize the scenario that ends in a cop getting bitten and a dog getting blown away and you sort of figure there has to be a more severe charge to accompany the visualization.

Dave Schwartz
02-24-2012, 10:50 PM
I certainly agree. How about assault with a deadly weapon or worse?

If any of the current or former police officers on PA would care to chime in, a learned comment would help.

Striker
02-24-2012, 11:55 PM
I agree with some of those comments under the story and that this dog reflected behaviors taught/learned from the owner. If the dog displayed this kind of behavior, I can only imagine how her children are going to act towards others in society.

JustRalph
02-25-2012, 12:02 AM
http://www.shouselaw.com/nevada/assault-deadly-weapon.html

Scroll down at link above for info on Nevada law

I would guess that a deadly weapon charge would be hard to prosecute due to 'intent' being hard to prove. But, if the lady gave a command to the dog etc, all bets are off.

I have been in this position, it's a tough call when you see these dogs. I never shot a dog. I have seen it happen though. I could tell you some stories about how some of these dogs are treated, and you would agree with shooting the owners over the dogs.

Btw, there is a great cultural divide that is in play when it comes to these dogs and pets in general. It's a very sticky subject that can get officers in lots of trouble.

elysiantraveller
02-25-2012, 12:12 AM
That sucks.

I would expect stronger charges to be brought but who really knows what happened.

Dave Schwartz
02-25-2012, 12:51 AM
It's a very sticky subject that can get officers in lots of trouble.

I find this topic interesting. Care to elaborate further?

JustRalph
02-25-2012, 02:26 AM
I find this topic interesting. Care to elaborate further?

Check your PM's