PDA

View Full Version : NYRA Wagering Menu

horses4courses
02-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Okay, so maybe I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but.......
why would the folks at AQU add a Superfecta today in Race 7?

Originally, there were 11 horses in the race - 10 for wagering purposes
Four of those betting interests were scratched out (plus half the entry).

So, with six horses left in the race, they decide to add a super?
The takeout on this wager, I'm sure, is in excess of 25%.
It's wagering suicide......

Get a clue, NYRA!!!

P.S. They might want to consider dropping the quinellas in races 2+4, also.

OTM Al
02-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Okay, so maybe I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but.......
why would the folks at AQU add a Superfecta today in Race 7?

Originally, there were 11 horses in the race - 10 for wagering purposes
Four of those betting interests were scratched out (plus half the entry).

So, with six horses left in the race, they decide to add a super?
The takeout on this wager, I'm sure, is in excess of 25%.
It's wagering suicide......

Get a clue, NYRA!!!

It's because only one half of the entry was left. Had both halves stayed in they could not have run a super. NYS law.

horses4courses
02-20-2012, 01:47 PM
It's because only one half of the entry was left. Had both halves stayed in they could not have run a super. NYS law.

I had no idea about their entry specifications. Seems ridiculous to me.

What is the minimum number of entries before they cancel the wager in a race?

OTM Al
02-20-2012, 01:50 PM
I had no idea about their entry specifications. Seems ridiculous to me.

What is the minimum number of entries before they cancel the wager in a race?

I think it is down to 6 now. It just got changed recently. The part about the entry has been around as long as I can remember. Who knows why. Maybe because the board could only show the top 4 runners.

horses4courses
02-20-2012, 01:52 PM
They allow trifectas with entries in the race, right?

OTM Al
02-20-2012, 02:00 PM
They allow trifectas with entries in the race, right?

Yes they do. Just remember, you have at least one thing in common with NYRA. Neither of you make the rules in New York.

horses4courses
02-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Yes they do. Just remember, you have at least one thing in common with NYRA. Neither of you make the rules in New York.

Ahh....it's all becoming very clear, all of a sudden.
Thanks for your help, OTM Al. :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
02-20-2012, 02:16 PM
rule's from years ago in nevada horse books, when you bet a daily double, the first horse wins or loses, and the horse in the second race scratches, you get a refund, no consolation payoff.

when you bet entry's, you had to pick the horse you wanted in the entry, if the wrong one won, you lost.

Robert Goren
02-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Yes they do. Just remember, you have at least one thing in common with NYRA. Neither of you make the rules in New York.This " the devil makes me do it" argument for the way NYRA operates is beginning to wear a little thin, don't you think?

Dahoss9698
02-20-2012, 02:23 PM
This " the devil makes me do it" argument for the way NYRA operates is beginning to wear a little thin, don't you think?

Some might think your "I admittingly don't bet, yet inject my doom and gloom into every thread" act is beginning to wear a little thin also.

horses4courses
02-20-2012, 02:26 PM
rule's from years ago in nevada horse books, when you bet a daily double, the first horse wins or loses, and the horse in the second race scratches, you get a refund, no consolation payoff.

when you bet entry's, you had to pick the horse you wanted in the entry, if the wrong one won, you lost.

Yeah, that's pretty crazy, alright.

As they were booking the bets themselves, I don't have much of a problem with refunding on the Daily Double scratch. Especially, as a losing selection in the first leg is still a refund if you scratched in the second half. Infuriating, of course, if you caught a nice price in the opening race, but the rule is equitable to all concerned.

On the other hand, having to specify which half of an entry you wanted, is like holding you at gunpoint, and taking your wallet...... :D

Tom
02-20-2012, 02:39 PM
This " the devil makes me do it" argument for the way NYRA operates is beginning to wear a little thin, don't you think?

It is a fact. You want to come to NY and set the Wagering board straight?

lamboguy
02-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Yeah, that's pretty crazy, alright.

As they were booking the bets themselves, I don't have much of a problem with refunding on the Daily Double scratch. Especially, as a losing selection in the first leg is still a refund if you scratched in the second half. Infuriating, of course, if you caught a nice price in the opening race, but the rule is equitable to all concerned.

On the other hand, having to specify which half of an entry you wanted, is like holding you at gunpoint, and taking your wallet...... :Dthey had other rules too, like no house quinella's on races with less than 6 starters. they paid full track odds on the first $5.00 bet, and the rest of your bet paid for win 20-1, for place 8-1, for show 4-1

cj
02-20-2012, 03:12 PM

I agree with you, but certainly NYRA has a strong say in getting rules changed. I just don't think things like this are a priority right now, rightfully so.

OTM Al
02-21-2012, 01:12 PM
I agree with you, but certainly NYRA has a strong say in getting rules changed. I just don't think things like this are a priority right now, rightfully so.

The do have a say, but what people don't realize or seem to want to realize is that it is all a matter of politics. At any time NYRA (or any other regulated body in a similar situation for that matter) has a certain amount of political capital to spend going before the a regulating board. So the question is how best to spend it. Go too many times with small things you run the risk of push back when you try to go back too quickly with something major. That's the political reality of the world we live in and isn't just NYRA. Too many people out there keep saying "Why don't they just...". I'm sure the staff at NYRA wishes it was that easy to do considering the amount of things they have to go to the board for just to run day to day business.

cj
02-21-2012, 01:56 PM
The do have a say, but what people don't realize or seem to want to realize is that it is all a matter of politics. At any time NYRA (or any other regulated body in a similar situation for that matter) has a certain amount of political capital to spend going before the a regulating board. So the question is how best to spend it. Go too many times with small things you run the risk of push back when you try to go back too quickly with something major. That's the political reality of the world we live in and isn't just NYRA. Too many people out there keep saying "Why don't they just...". I'm sure the staff at NYRA wishes it was that easy to do considering the amount of things they have to go to the board for just to run day to day business.

I never paid much attention to this rule because I don't think I've ever bet a superfecta. If I did, it was a few dimes and not at NYRA. I did some research, and NYRA has been trying to get this changed for a long time, at least a few years. I guess it isn't as easy as I thought.

Charli125
02-21-2012, 02:40 PM

All of these small things add up to some very material positive changes that NYRA could make. NYRA already has one of the best, if not the best circuits around. Now they have massive purses. If they can get a bunch of these small things fixed, the sky's the limit.

I understand that there is a limited amount of political capital, but is the regulating board really going to penalize NYRA for fixing a bunch of minor issues? Isn't that what any good business would do? I'll be the first to admit that I'm not up to speed on the politics involved, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would be penalized for making good business decisions to improve and advance their position.

OTM Al
02-21-2012, 05:17 PM
All of these small things add up to some very material positive changes that NYRA could make. NYRA already has one of the best, if not the best circuits around. Now they have massive purses. If they can get a bunch of these small things fixed, the sky's the limit.

I understand that there is a limited amount of political capital, but is the regulating board really going to penalize NYRA for fixing a bunch of minor issues? Isn't that what any good business would do? I'll be the first to admit that I'm not up to speed on the politics involved, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would be penalized for making good business decisions to improve and advance their position.

It's all politics Charile. Money is involved and that makes it worse. Can't speak for the current board makeup but in the past there have been appointees that are outright hostile and others looking to find something in it for themselves. Don't know how much changes in such arenas.