PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom's return

FantasticDan
02-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Hope to see him do well in his Gulfstream return (in less than 30 minutes).. :ThmbUp:

wisconsin
02-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Why do these jockeys make it harder than it needs to be. Heading into the far turn, he moves up 3 wide, and Velazquez is restaining the horse. It's not until the 3/16th pole that he opens him up.

If the horse is good enough, let the horse run on his own. There was no way this horse was going to lose, so why fight an eager runner who is tons the best?

Robert Fischer
02-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Hope to see him do well in his Gulfstream return (in less than 30 minutes).. :ThmbUp:

Looked good physically.
Thought he hung just a bit (or didn't quite explode) allowing his rival more of a chance than should have been there.
Hopefully that is just a function of needing a race.
Looked good in the legs from what I could see on one view.

Robert Fischer
02-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Why do these jockeys make it harder than it needs to be. Heading into the far turn, he moves up 3 wide, and Velazquez is restaining the horse. It's not until the 3/16th pole that he opens him up.

If the horse is good enough, let the horse run on his own. There was no way this horse was going to lose, so why fight an eager runner who is tons the best?

1st off the layoff vs weaker, they don't want to put him in a prolonged drive.

Also other factors like responding to cues for Velazquez, and how they didn't really get to settle him down in the peloton - partly because of the field and break/ partly because he was much the best and ridden a bit cautious - where a settled horse would also have (settled obviously and) had an extra couple strides breather.

FantasticDan
02-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Nice comeback win.. looked strong, and with just a hand ride.. :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
02-18-2012, 03:07 PM
he sure as hell looked powerful coming down the lane. the people associated with him have to be very happy today, because that horse will be better next time out.

redshift1
02-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Splits in fifth's. Came home fairly fast off slow early fractions probably just what the connections wanted and AK was accelerating nicely at the end.

24.40..25.00..........23.60..23.00 5.60

49.40......................... 46.60

redshift1
02-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Note the video replay shows a first split of 23.17 while the DRF PDF shows 24.41.

Cardus
02-18-2012, 03:38 PM
He'll make a nice turf horse this year.

Nice effort today.

cj
02-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Note the video replay shows a first split of 23.17 while the DRF PDF shows 24.41.
Some things never change.

JustRalph
02-18-2012, 03:48 PM
1st off the layoff vs weaker, they don't want to put him in a prolonged drive.

Also other factors like responding to cues for Velazquez, and how they didn't really get to settle him down in the peloton - partly because of the field and break/ partly because he was much the best and ridden a bit cautious - where a settled horse would also have (settled obviously and) had an extra couple strides breather.

Wow! Nice word.......learn something new everyday here.........

cj
02-18-2012, 03:57 PM
It is a nice word but not really apropos to horse racing.

FantasticDan
02-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Comments and video:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/67537/animal-kingdom-sharp-in-return

gm10
02-18-2012, 03:59 PM
He looked really well. Very powerful horse, close to peak form.
8/1 for the Dubai World Cup ... fill your boots.

RXB
02-18-2012, 04:03 PM

Because it's a grass race, not a dirt race, and moving early and wide is usually the worst thing to do on grass.

Spalding No!
02-18-2012, 05:20 PM
He looked really well. Very powerful horse, close to peak form.
8/1 for the Dubai World Cup ... fill your boots.

Predicted running line for the Dubai World Cup:

settled midpack, quick move for the lead 3f out, wilted stretch, 8th of 14.

So You Think will lose the race in a photo.

wisconsin
02-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Because it's a grass race, not a dirt race, and moving early and wide is usually the worst thing to do on grass.

For an ordinary horse.

There was nothing totally bad about the ride, just seems like AK was very willing to go, and he should not have to fight the rider to go on with it. Nobody was going to beat him there.

RXB
02-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Whether it's an ordinary horse or a talented horse, grass runners do best when they conserve energy for the stretch. I saw nothing wrong with that ride. It's not like Velasquez was strangling the horse.

Dahoss9698
02-19-2012, 12:24 AM

Agreed. It's not really something you want to do on any surface. Animal Kingdom seemed very eager, probably due to the layoff, but I saw nothing wrong with the ride.

gm10
02-19-2012, 07:50 AM
It is a nice word but not really apropos to horse racing.
Bring on Milan-San Remo and Tour Of Flanders.

gm10
02-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Predicted running line for the Dubai World Cup:

settled midpack, quick move for the lead 3f out, wilted stretch, 8th of 14.

So You Think will lose the race in a photo.

It depends. John V. has been known to get it wrong on the big occasions. The tapeta at Meydan usually favours 'early late speed' but above all the jockey needs to be alert and get his timing and positioning right throughout the race. In a race like this, I'd rather have GG or Mike Smith than JV. 8/1 is big value though!

uncbossfan
02-19-2012, 03:32 PM
I know where my money will be in 6 weeks. Vey impressive and he likes running fresh.Hoping to hit the Derby/Dubai double with AK!

gm10
02-19-2012, 03:38 PM
I know where my money will be in 6 weeks. Vey impressive and he likes running fresh.Hoping to hit the Derby/Dubai double with AK!
what price did you get on that? 500/1?

classhandicapper
02-21-2012, 12:33 AM
I thought he ran about as well as you could hope off an injury and long layoff. Now he'll either continue going forward and become a VERY good horse or flatten out and win weaker stakes.

uncbossfan
02-22-2012, 10:38 PM
what price did you get on that? 500/1?

I wish I had that going, does such a bet even exist?

I got lucky and had AK in the Derby last yr, so I'm just going to ride him again regardless who else is running. Every now and then it pays to bet with your heart...

CincyHorseplayer
02-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Is 3rd or 4th place money worth the trip to Dubai 2nd time off this long layoff?

Seems too ambitious for a pretty good horse to me.That I'd like to see more than occasionally this year.I don't mind being selfish and critical.

PhantomOnTour
02-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Is 3rd or 4th place money worth the trip to Dubai 2nd time off this long layoff?

Seems too ambitious for a pretty good horse to me.That I'd like to see more than occasionally this year.I don't mind being selfish and critical.
From what i understand the Sheikh pays for all travel and lodging for both horse & human...or at least he used to.
No travel costs and 2nd or 3rd money from that huge purse is tough to ignore.

elysiantraveller
02-23-2012, 12:00 AM
I don't really agree with the move off the long layoff and who knows what it will take out of him. The money is a draw but for me it would make much more sense to stay home this year and take your chances against a very suspect group in the handicap division.

CincyHorseplayer
02-23-2012, 12:04 AM
From what i understand the Sheikh pays for all travel and lodging for both horse & human...or at least he used to.
No travel costs and 2nd or 3rd money from that huge purse is tough to ignore.

That's cool Phantom.I would just like like to see this at the very least quality closer be on this American scene all year,not just what I think will be intermittently after this.

FantasticDan
09-07-2012, 11:36 AM
BUMP

Getting ready for another return..

http://www.drf.com/news/animal-kingdom-continues-make-progress-his-return

:ThmbUp:

Robert Fischer
09-07-2012, 11:43 AM
BUMP

Getting ready for another return..

http://www.drf.com/news/animal-kingdom-continues-make-progress-his-return

:ThmbUp:

:ThmbUp: good news

FantasticDan
10-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Pointed to BC Mile:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/73221/animal-kingdom-to-return-in-bc-mile

Tom
10-02-2012, 12:32 PM
He can only improve of his JCGC.
Maybe they will run him backwards, and then they can announce "Animal Kingdom finishes last, butt first." :D

uncbossfan
10-02-2012, 07:52 PM
I am so hoping he can stay healthy for another month. Really want to see him back at the track and a huge THANK YOU to the connections for keeping him pointed to the races instead of the breeding shed!

FantasticDan
02-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Animal Kingdom primed for yet another return, Beyer article:

http://www.drf.com/news/andrew-beyer-animal-kingdom-being-given-chance-make-history

ArlJim78
02-07-2013, 09:00 PM
great plan. Gulfstream, Meydan, Royal Ascot. Let's hope he stays healthy enough to compete in all three, that would really be something to see.

Some_One
02-07-2013, 09:06 PM
AK should have won the mile last year, blocked all the way till 100m left so I have high hopes for him as well, but remember the record for US horses in International turf races is horrible, but if anyone can be clean enough to race overseas based in the US, you would expect Team Valor and their team to be the top of that list.

depalma113
02-09-2013, 11:44 PM
AK should have won the mile last year, blocked all the way till 100m left so I have high hopes for him as well, but remember the record for US horses in International turf races is horrible, but if anyone can be clean enough to race overseas based in the US, you would expect Team Valor and their team to be the top of that list.

Wise Dan toyed with that BC mile field.