PDA

View Full Version : DOWNLOAD HERE - Newest Version of HandiFast

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

mikesal57
06-08-2018, 09:45 AM
Mike
I really like the handi search but on certain races when I hit batch processor it gets to that race and crashes, any ideas. If I delete that race then it works.

yes...that happens....dont know whats corrupt to cause that..

Just a tip...

if your doing lots of races and that happens....

delete all races before & that bad date...

then hit "LAUNCH PROCESSOR"...DO NOT HIT "INITIALIZE CSV FILE"

or you lose you prior processing files...

It will continue where it left off

Mike

Handiman
06-09-2018, 04:14 PM
I believe the crash occurs when you have an .xrd file without a matching data file. You can have more data files than XRD files, but not the other way around.

Handi:)

mikesal57
06-09-2018, 07:37 PM
I believe the crash occurs when you have an .xrd file without a matching data file. You can have more data files than XRD files, but not the other way around.

Its a corrupt file...I have done it many times... The same file always stops the process
It's OK ....
It happens a hand full of time s to 100's of files

UnifiedTheory
10-01-2018, 07:35 PM
You need to create 2 folders on your C: drive....

Call one Handifast.....extract HandifastV11.zip into that folder...right click handifast.exe file and send to desktop

In other folder...must name it handifiles...extract the "2files.zip into it

Done!!

click Handifast Icon on your desktop...ENJOY

I'm having the same problem with the runtime error: system not able to find the files, and this solution doesn't work for me because I can't figure out what you mean by "...extract the 2files.zip into it"

....which two files??

mikesal57
10-01-2018, 08:42 PM
I'm having the same problem with the runtime error: system not able to find the files, and this solution doesn't work for me because I can't figure out what you mean by "...extract the 2files.zip into it"

....which two files??

Make 3 folders on you "c:" drive or whatever drive you have

HANDIFAST
HANDIFILES
TEMPHANDI

(install main program in Handifast......create shortcut to desktop with handifast .exe

Other 2 folders install these files in both...after extracting it

Play around with it....if dont work ...reboot PC

Mike

UnifiedTheory
10-01-2018, 11:09 PM
Make 3 folders on you "c:" drive or whatever drive you have

HANDIFAST
HANDIFILES
TEMPHANDI

(install main program in Handifast......create shortcut to desktop with handifast .exe

Other 2 folders install these files in both...after extracting it

Play around with it....if dont work ...reboot PC

Mike

Thanks very much Mike. I appreciate your help.

(I realize now the stupid error I was making.)

Unfortunately I can't handicap a race with it yet as I keep getting runtime errors "-3363 is outside of collection bounds" or "copy beyond end of file".

Is there a user's manual or troubleshooting guide I can get for this software?

Also, I'm trying to use a brisnet PP data file (single)...is that the correct type and/or best type for this software?

Thanks in advance. :coffee:

mikesal57
10-01-2018, 11:16 PM
Thanks very much Mike. I appreciate your help.

(I realize now the stupid error I was making.)

Unfortunately I can't handicap a race with it yet as I keep getting runtime errors "-3363 is outside of collection bounds" or "copy beyond end of file".

Is there a user's manual or troubleshooting guide I can get for this software?

Also, I'm trying to use a brisnet PP data file (single)...is that the correct type and/or best type for this software?

Thanks in advance. :coffee:

it can use a .drf or .jcp data file....

let me know

Mike

user manual

SoCaGambler
10-08-2018, 04:00 AM
i am getting the same error message as to can not find the path

I did make the folders and placed the two files (analyst, and scales) into the handifiles folder. I placed the handifast program v11 into the handifast folder and extracted all inside the folder. When I try and run it the error message comes up that can not find the path.

Is there anyway the program can be released as one file to open ect like the original without having to do all these extra steps that don't seem to work for several of us. I am sure its user error as some of you that are computer knowledgeable seem to not have a problem but there are those of us oldtimers that are not computer savy.

Thanks for your help Chuck

mikesal57
10-08-2018, 08:00 AM
i am getting the same error message as to can not find the path

I did make the folders and placed the two files (analyst, and scales) into the handifiles folder. I placed the handifast program v11 into the handifast folder and extracted all inside the folder. When I try and run it the error message comes up that can not find the path.

Is there anyway the program can be released as one file to open ect like the original without having to do all these extra steps that don't seem to work for several of us. I am sure its user error as some of you that are computer knowledgeable seem to not have a problem but there are those of us oldtimers that are not computer savy.

Thanks for your help Chuck

did you make a handifast folder too with those extracted 2 files ?

SoCaGambler
10-11-2018, 02:54 PM
Hello Mike, I have deleted everything as I could not get it to work. I will try again on Saturday and see if I can get it to work but I don't remember putting both files into both folders.
I am using windows ten however the old handifast program works fine so I am sure its me and not the program.

Thanks for your time Sir

mikesal57
10-13-2018, 09:03 AM
Hello Mike, I have deleted everything as I could not get it to work. I will try again on Saturday and see if I can get it to work but I don't remember putting both files into both folders.
I am using windows ten however the old handifast program works fine so I am sure its me and not the program.

Thanks for your time Sir

NP....keep me updated

SoCaGambler
10-13-2018, 08:59 PM
Hello Mike,
I am still not having any luck running the program.

I will list the process I followed today.

1) I placed three new folders on my desktop.
Named one Handifast, one Handisearch, and the third Temphandi.

2) I placed the Handifast V11.0 inside the Handifast folder and extracted all into that folder.

3) Inside the Handisearch and Temphandi folders, I placed the 2files Ver 10 inside both.

4)When I clicked on Handifast ver 11 to run the program I get the same error message =Runtime error: OS error: the system cannot find the path specified. See error log for information.

5)Checked the error message log but that’s a pretty long list not sure what there could help in identifying the problem.

Thank you for your assistance

Speed Figure
10-13-2018, 09:34 PM
What is the reason for this program not having a simple setup?

SoCaGambler
10-13-2018, 10:24 PM
rereading through these post I cut and pasted the folders to the c drive however I getting the same error

mikesal57
10-13-2018, 10:44 PM
rereading through these post I cut and pasted the folders to the c drive however I getting the same error

Do me a favor
Take snap shots of folders on C Drive and what's in all 3 folders

SoCaGambler
10-13-2018, 11:08 PM
not sure how to make a snapshot

SoCaGambler
10-13-2018, 11:47 PM
Sorry Mike I typed out what is listed on the folders, I hope this helps you. If not I guess we will forget trying to load it.

Handifast Folder: a total of 12 items listed
Has a zipped file – HandifastV11.0 (1) and a non zipped folder with the same name.
When I click on the non zipped folder it has – Error listed first. Then HandifastV11.0(1) it has a torch icon. Then a note pad with same name. Then in order is - isfile32dll, vbas31w.sll, vgui31w.sll, voflr31w.sll, vthk31w.sll, vtk1631w.dll, vtk3231w.dll, vvm31w.dll, vvmt31w.dll

Handisearch folder: has two items –analyst note pad and scales
Handifiles folder: has two items - analyst note pad and scales.

Thanks for your time, Chuck

UnifiedTheory
10-14-2018, 12:59 AM
I used to have HandiFast on my computer but later removed it. Now I cannot seem to get it from the same link.

I'm trying to download HandiFast, which I've done previously, but even though I'm trying to get it from the same link as before on page 67, the 1.3 mb zip file I receive causes my computer to say the zip file is empty and invalid even though the properties indicate 1.3 mb.

Is there an alternate download link for the lastest version of HandiFast?

UnifiedTheory
10-14-2018, 01:35 AM
Ok I see now that the page 67 download is HandiSearch so I've just downloaded HandiFast from page 66. I'm blaming lack of coffee for that goofy mistake.

UnifiedTheory
10-14-2018, 03:18 AM
Can't seen to get HandiFast to work.

I have the three folders on my C drive: HANDIFAST HANDIFILES TEMPHANDI and I put the "two files" into HANDIFILES and TEMPHANDI and I've got HandiFast version 10.5 in the HANDIFAST folder.

When I try to handicap a race, as soon as I choose an analyst to use for that race I get the following two error messages: see attachment

Also I cannot seem to save more than two analysts. If I try to save a third then only the two most recently created analysts are shown.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

mikesal57
10-14-2018, 08:45 AM
TRY THIS.....

After making your folders with the files in it: OPEN PROGRAM

Click :

1) Settings
2) Initialize Analyst's Folders
3) Create Analyst's Folders
3) Name it "TEST"
4) Click "Race Analysts" choose "Build"
5) Check Mark "CL" and enter say "50" then click "Calculate"
6) Click "Fibonacci"
7) "Enter Name of Object" anything you want
8) Click "Save Object Setup" into "TEST" folder
9) Click "FILE" & then "IMPORT" select any DRF or JCP file
wait a few seconds
10) click "HANDICAP" choose "TEST" Folder

and away you go...

Mike

Handiman
10-15-2018, 09:42 AM
I am sorry everybody is having so much trouble. I have been battling some health problems and have been away. I will try and look into these and see what I can come up with for answers.

mikesal57
10-15-2018, 11:02 AM
I am sorry everybody is having so much trouble. I have been battling some health problems and have been away. I will try and look into these and see what I can come up with for answers.

Hi Handi....

Hope your feeling better....

I haven't heard back from the guys after I put up the last post...
I hope they are good...

Take care of yourself first....

If you have some energy...maybe a "complete install" zip file can be made??

Mike

UnifiedTheory
10-15-2018, 01:30 PM
TRY THIS.....

After making your folders with the files in it: OPEN PROGRAM

Click :

1) Settings
2) Initialize Analyst's Folders
3) Create Analyst's Folders
3) Name it "TEST"
4) Click "Race Analysts" choose "Build"
5) Check Mark "CL" and enter say "50" then click "Calculate"
6) Click "Fibonacci"
7) "Enter Name of Object" anything you want
8) Click "Save Object Setup" into "TEST" folder
9) Click "FILE" & then "IMPORT" select any DRF or JCP file
wait a few seconds
10) click "HANDICAP" choose "TEST" Folder

and away you go...

Mike

Mike, thank you very much for all your help! It's working great now and I really like using this software.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I've been under the weather the past few days but grateful to be healthy now.

By the way, is there a more detailed owner's manual available for HandiFast? I downloaded the small manual from page 68 and I'm grateful that good software exists for free through this forum but I'm just wondering if there's another manual.

Kudos to "Handi" and everyone else involved in making HandiFast available for free and for making the software so intriguing!

Handiman
10-15-2018, 05:50 PM
Ok for anyone using the latest version. Instead of a folder named C:\temphandi you need to replace that with C:\handifiles I did it this way so the older version would still work and not mess with your analysts. And then you could use the new version and not affect what you have already built. You would just have to rebuild your analysts in the new version.

Hope this works.

Mike I will see what I can do about upgrading the install part.

P.S. I have been working on what I call The Handi Solution. It's a spot play and the early results seem positive. But need more testing. If it turns out good, I will then decide what to do with it.

headhawg
10-16-2018, 12:17 AM
Handi,

If you're not feeling up to it I could probably write an install program for you. Probably. Or you could try Inno Setup by jrsoftware. That might work for Handifast and it's free.

HH

Handiman
10-16-2018, 01:36 AM
Head if you'd like to give it a shot that would be awesome.

mikesal57
10-16-2018, 08:03 AM
Ok for anyone using the latest version. Instead of a folder named C:\temphandi you need to replace that with C:\handifiles I did it this way so the older version would still work and not mess with your analysts. And then you could use the new version and not affect what you have already built. You would just have to rebuild your analysts in the new version.

Hope this works.

Mike I will see what I can do about upgrading the install part.

P.S. I have been working on what I call The Handi Solution. It's a spot play and the early results seem positive. But need more testing. If it turns out good, I will then decide what to do with it.

The reason I keep telling peeps to install temphandi is because it is needed when using Handisearch.....
Handisearch is , I believe , is the key to get good factors and weights for Handifast...it has ALL the info to do statistical research without guessing what to use.....a person with statistical knowledge can analyze the numbers and come up with significant factors and weights ....
This is the brain part of the program...USE IT!!!!

Mike

UnifiedTheory
10-16-2018, 12:41 PM
The reason I keep telling peeps to install temphandi is because it is needed when using Handisearch.....
Handisearch is , I believe , is the key to get good factors and weights for Handifast...it has ALL the info to do statistical research without guessing what to use.....a person with statistical knowledge can analyze the numbers and come up with significant factors and weights ....
This is the brain part of the program...USE IT!!!!

Mike

I've downloaded HandiSearch but I keep getting the error message that windows cannot open the folder because it's invalid.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

mikesal57
10-16-2018, 02:58 PM
I've downloaded HandiSearch but I keep getting the error message that windows cannot open the folder because it's invalid.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Handisearch came with detail instructions...

Did you read it ?

You have to go step by step
make 4 folders....

1) Handisearch
2) handibatchracedata
3) handibatchresults
4) temphandi

load all your data files( DRF or JCP) in #2 folder
load xrd files in #3 folder

Open Program

1) Settings-Choose "FILE TYPE" JCP or DRF
2) Skip "LOAD FILES"
3) Click "Create CSV" Then "INITIALIZE CSV FILE"
4) click "Batch Processor" Then hit "Launch Processor"

away it goes....

TIPS:

You should have same amount shown in screen

If for reason it stops...
There is a BAD file being processed....

To determine what "DAY" screwed things up
1) open HANDI CSV File in temphandi folder
2) note last line with date ( and then close HANDI CSV FILE)

THE NEXT DATE IS THE BAD FILE!!!!

Delete that data & xrd file in folders 2 & 3 above
and delete ALL PRIOR FILES that were processed so that its not duplicated.

EXAMPLE:

Say your processing 2018 Parx......
Program stops
open Handi CSV file and see that PArx 9Th race on May 10 is last line...

Go into folder "handibatchracedata" andd see the NEXT DAY is say MAY 11TH
MAy 11Th is corrupt ...delete that & the XRD file in the other folder..
ALSO delete all files MAY 11TH and prior (DRF & XRD)

Continue Processioning by hitting ONLY Batch Processing/ Launch Processing
Do not Hit Create CSV FILE or you will lose all that was good..

Hope this makes sense..

Mike

LATEST Handisearch Files...

UnifiedTheory
10-16-2018, 04:01 PM
Handisearch came with detail instructions...

Did you read it ?

You have to go step by step
make 4 folders....

1) Handisearch
2) handibatchracedata
3) handibatchresults
4) temphandi

load all your data files( DRF or JCP) in #2 folder
load xrd files in #3 folder

Open Program

1) Settings-Choose "FILE TYPE" JCP or DRF
2) Skip "LOAD FILES"
3) Click "Create CSV" Then "INITIALIZE CSV FILE"
4) click "Batch Processor" Then hit "Launch Processor"

away it goes....

TIPS:

You should have same amount shown in screen

If for reason it stops...
There is a BAD file being processed....

To determine what "DAY" screwed things up
1) open HANDI CSV File in temphandi folder
2) note last line with date ( and then close HANDI CSV FILE)

THE NEXT DATE IS THE BAD FILE!!!!

Delete that data & xrd file in folders 2 & 3 above
and delete ALL PRIOR FILES that were processed so that its not duplicated.

EXAMPLE:

Say your processing 2018 Parx......
Program stops
open Handi CSV file and see that PArx 9Th race on May 10 is last line...

Go into folder "handibatchracedata" andd see the NEXT DAY is say MAY 11TH
MAy 11Th is corrupt ...delete that & the XRD file in the other folder..
ALSO delete all files MAY 11TH and prior (DRF & XRD)

Continue Processioning by hitting ONLY Batch Processing/ Launch Processing
Do not Hit Create CSV FILE or you will lose all that was good..

Hope this makes sense..

Mike

LATEST Handisearch Files...

Mike, thanks again for your detailed assistance.

I couldn't read the detailed instructions for Handisearch because I couldn't open the Handisearch download folder as my computer says it's an invalid folder that it cannot open.

Also, I would love to read a detailed owners manual for Handifast if that's available.

And I don't have any xrd files at present. I've just been paper testing using the free result charts from Bris. Where do you recommend I get the xrd result files?

Thanks again for all your help. :coffee:

Speed Figure
10-16-2018, 05:25 PM
Why don't you guys make a screen video showing exactly how to do this?

mikesal57
10-16-2018, 06:04 PM

I couldn't read the detailed instructions for Handisearch because I couldn't open the Handisearch download folder as my computer says it's an invalid folder that it cannot open.

Also, I would love to read a detailed owners manual for Handifast if that's available.

And I don't have any xrd files at present. I've just been paper testing using the free result charts from Bris. Where do you recommend I get the xrd result files?

Looks like your starting from scratch......

So Handisearch wont be in your immediate future...

As for HF Doc.....dont think any was made...

Data Files & Results Plans can be purchase from Bris....https://www.brisnet.com/product/data-files
Its up to you on how far you want to go...
But plenty of files has to be gathered to have any serious plans

Mike

mmdorn
10-16-2018, 06:51 PM

Hi Unified,

I have attached the user manuals for HF ver 9.5.2 and ver 10

Good Luck,
Mike D.

mikesal57
10-16-2018, 06:53 PM
Hi Unified,

Good Luck,
Mike D.

Thxs Mike :ThmbUp:

UnifiedTheory
10-17-2018, 03:42 AM
Looks like your starting from scratch......

So Handisearch wont be in your immediate future...

As for HF Doc.....dont think any was made...

Data Files & Results Plans can be purchase from Bris....https://www.brisnet.com/product/data-files
Its up to you on how far you want to go...
But plenty of files has to be gathered to have any serious plans

Mike

I was thinking I'd buy 200-300 xrd files to see if I can improve my Handifast analysts with a small sample. But I should probably wait until buying at least 1000 xrd files seems appropriate.

Thanks Mike.

UnifiedTheory
10-17-2018, 03:49 AM
Hi Unified,

Good Luck,
Mike D.

Thank you very much Mike D. :)

This additional documentation will allow me to enjoy the software even more.

acorn54
12-10-2018, 08:36 PM
taking a look at handifast software and not quite sure these questions have been answered.
1-are the speed figures accurate for the 5 furlong distance. to further inquire, what are the exact distance ranges that the handifast software calculates accurately.

2-best speed at distance "DS", the third figure column. what exactly does this measure?

3. i thought that the woods and fibonacci formulas only rated the top four horses. can anyone elaborate, so i know what i am doing with the choice i make as to which calculation is best for me? (i am using fibonacci, and it gives final rating numbers to more than 4 horses.)

thanks again handi for a very entertaining software. and to mike and headhawg for their contributions, they do not go unappreciated by me every time i open up the software.

be well
acorn (guy)

mikesal57
12-10-2018, 09:35 PM
taking a look at handifast software and not quite sure these questions have been answered.
1-are the speed figures accurate for the 5 furlong distance. to further inquire, what are the exact distance ranges that the handifast software calculates accurately.

2-best speed at distance "DS", the third figure column. what exactly does this measure?

3. i thought that the woods and fibonacci formulas only rated the top four horses. can anyone elaborate, so i know what i am doing with the choice i make as to which calculation is best for me? (i am using fibonacci, and it gives final rating numbers to more than 4 horses.)

thanks again handi for a very entertaining software. and to mike and headhawg for their contributions, they do not go unappreciated by me every time i open up the software.

be well
acorn (guy)

Acorn...

Welcome back to you and anyone that wants to continue with this project...

As to answers to your questions...

1) What do you mean by "accurate to the 5 furlong distance" ?....
Speed figs are derived from the PP's , nothing is adjusting those #'s

2) This is the definition for DS...DS,MY, & TF (Distance, Mud, & Turf) are based on comparisons of performance or pedigree on that surface/distance

3) For each factor . the top 4 #'s are adjusted .....5th thru bottom horses get ZERO for that factor.

Mike

acorn54
12-10-2018, 09:55 PM
Acorn...

2) This is the definition for DS...DS,MY, & TF (Distance, Mud, & Turf) are based on comparisons of performance or pedigree on that surface/distance

3) For each factor . the top 4 #'s are adjusted .....5th thru bottom horses get ZERO for that factor.

Mike

hi mike thanks for the quick reply
i was just wanting to know why in the last column (handifast version 10),total pts, i get a total pt number for more than the four top horses. am i understanding it incorrectly. anyway the only important thing i really need to know is which, in your judgement, is the best calculation to use when building an analysis, woods or fibonacci?

mikesal57
12-10-2018, 10:13 PM
hi mike thanks for the quick reply
i was just wanting to know why in the last column (handifast version 10),total pts, i get a total pt number for more than the four top horses. am i understanding it incorrectly. anyway the only important thing i really need to know is which, in your judgement, is the best calculation to use when building an analysis, woods or fibonacci?

Acorn...

I use fib...

can you post the line with the numbers and I'll check...

mike

mikesal57
12-10-2018, 10:23 PM
This is the DS columns for 9 horses...

The top 4 are:

39-37-30-29

Fib goes like this:

1.00 X 11 = 11 ......The horse with the 39 gets 11 pts for DS

.62 x 11 = 6.82 ....The horse with the 37 gets 6.82 pts for DS

.38 x 11 = 4.18.....The horse with 30 gets 4.18 pts for DS

.24 x11 = 2.64.....The horse with 29 get 2.64 pts for DS

All other horses get 0 for DS

Hope this helps

Mike

PS- I suggest using 3-4 factors will do best...

acorn54
12-11-2018, 04:12 AM
thanks for the explanation mike
tried to do what you did by putting picture of handifast screen in this thread, but couldn't find a way to do that. i understand what the fibonacci breakout is now, as you explain it, though.

acorn54
01-04-2019, 06:21 AM
Acorn...

Mike

mike i have another question or two. since this is jan 04th of a new year, and alot of trainers have no wins, why is the "trainers" column showing numbers for trainers without any wins, so far this year? what does the number in the "trainer" column represent? ditto for the "jockey" column.
also the new column labeled "avg.speed" what is the number of races, that the average is based on?

i would like to do some serious research with this program, but i need to know what these numbers represent. by the way your explanations to my previous recent questions have given me some peace of mind, into using this program with serious money.
happy new year to you mike and all others of the handifast club, with special regards to handi .

mikesal57
01-04-2019, 09:23 AM
mike i have another question or two. since this is jan 04th of a new year, and alot of trainers have no wins, why is the "trainers" column showing numbers for trainers without any wins, so far this year? what does the number in the "trainer" column represent? ditto for the "jockey" column.
also the new column labeled "avg.speed" what is the number of races, that the average is based on?

i would like to do some serious research with this program, but i need to know what these numbers represent. by the way your explanations to my previous recent questions have given me some peace of mind, into using this program with serious money.
happy new year to you mike and all others of the handifast club, with special regards to handi .

Acorn....

Prime Pwr & Avg Speed was the last 2 factors that Handi inserted into Handifast via working with Dave Schwartz . They are good factors compared to the others...how is the workings behind it...I'm not sure.

As for stats with trainers & jocks......I believe its using last years until they reach 6 races in the new year........

I'm going to do some more work with regression analysis for 2018.
Give me your email and I'll send it to you for your interest.

Mike

Handiman
02-08-2019, 11:51 PM
I have been inactive for quite some time now as I'm losing my sight. Can't hardly see the keyboard. Started eye injections a couple of weeks ago. Will get them monthly and hope for the best.

Hope all is well with everyone else.

mikesal57
02-09-2019, 12:18 AM
I have been inactive for quite some time now as I'm losing my sight. Can't hardly see the keyboard. Started eye injections a couple of weeks ago. Will get them monthly and hope for the best.

I am so sorry my friend ....

Hope the shots work!!!

get back soon

Mike

Longshot6977
02-09-2019, 10:56 AM

My prayers to you Handi. It is difficult (scary) to get eye injections so hang in there. It will all work out for you.

headhawg
02-09-2019, 12:56 PM
Sorry to hear all of this Handi. I hope that the shots work. I know how much you enjoyed coding, and you always helped motivate me to keep programming. Take care, my friend, and continue to let us know how you're doing.

mmdorn
02-10-2019, 05:41 PM
Handi,

Hope everything works out for you, and you are back doing what you love soon.

Mike

acorn54
02-12-2019, 02:30 PM
hello handi, hopefully this is only a temporary condition that medical attention will reverse. no matter how bad you feel, always remember, it is only temporary.
acorn (guy)

Vinnie
02-15-2019, 07:47 PM
Handi:

Thoughts and prayers out to you sir. I hope that you recover well and quickly from anything that currently ails you. Warmest wishes!! :)

mdb2855
03-05-2019, 03:49 PM
Hi All.
Don't know if this is where I should post this.
Have been on here a few years now, but have only now just started to look and see what the horse racing in the USA was all about. And have been quite amazed at the amount of information there is, which is a nice supprise compared to what we have in the UK, though we have started to do sectionals now but only at a few tracks.Any way what I wanted to know, was how do I get into the Handifast user's group, I have downloaded the software but want to get to grips with it, so any help much appreciated.
Thanks.
Michael.

mikesal57
03-05-2019, 08:18 PM
Hi All.
Don't know if this is where I should post this.
Have been on here a few years now, but have only now just started to look and see what the horse racing in the USA was all about. And have been quite amazed at the amount of information there is, which is a nice supprise compared to what we have in the UK, though we have started to do sectionals now but only at a few tracks.Any way what I wanted to know, was how do I get into the Handifast user's group, I have downloaded the software but want to get to grips with it, so any help much appreciated.
Thanks.
Michael.

Hi Mike and Welcome.....

In the software there is documentation....Look in the folder where it is installed
That should be your start.
To use it you need to subscribe to get data ....
try..... brisnet.com....... under data files....

A big help would be if you had dealt with horse racing software in the past.

Good luck

Mike

mdb2855
03-06-2019, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the welcome Mike.
The software is easy to understand but, the build race analyst doesn't seem to show up when I enter some info for the points. folder selector comes up but nothing in it at all I have the handi version 10.5 as the latest update.
The files I get via our now deceased friend Raybo's forum of friends which load okay so no problem there. I have the black box version that he made, but don't use it as much as I would like due to family and work, but i'm sure we are all in that boat.
I just was hoping to get to chat about how you sort it all regards what do you put more faith in whether the speed side of it the late call or a happy medium of all of them. Like I said am newish to the racing scene in USA so some assistance in some sort or another would be helpful.
I thought the forum for the handispeeds user group would be the kind of place that might of been able to start me in the right direction with some chats.

Regards.
Michael.

mikesal57
03-06-2019, 01:16 PM
Here is the documentation....

It is clear and simple....

Longshot6977
03-06-2019, 03:00 PM
I just was hoping to get to chat about how you sort it all regards what do you put more faith in whether the speed side of it the late call or a happy medium of all of them.

Michael, if you check the results (.xrd files, which are 25 cents /day/track) and look at what factors were winning, like T/J% or last speed or class or whatever, you can track how each track does. You'll find that some tracks have a higher % of late factors or early pace factors or class factors (always a good one) and can assign more weights to those factors. Keep tweaking and you'll have a great little program that not only helps pick winners, but exactas and tris and supers (we call that vertical exotics in the USA). I haven't used this great app in a while, but I believe the other program used to track the winning factors is in these threads called Handisearch batch processor. MikeSal57 will correct me if I'm wrong and may even provide more info after you read up on these apps. There should be a PDF file in each to explain how they work. Excel will come in very handy too. Good luck.

mikesal57
03-06-2019, 04:30 PM
Michael, if you check the results (.xrd files, which are 25 cents /day/track) and look at what factors were winning, like T/J% or last speed or class or whatever, you can track how each track does. You'll find that some tracks have a higher % of late factors or early pace factors or class factors (always a good one) and can assign more weights to those factors. Keep tweaking and you'll have a great little program that not only helps pick winners, but exactas and tris and supers (we call that vertical exotics in the USA). I haven't used this great app in a while, but I believe the other program used to track the winning factors is in these threads called Handisearch batch processor. MikeSal57 will correct me if I'm wrong and may even provide more info after you read up on these apps. There should be a PDF file in each to explain how they work. Excel will come in very handy too. Good luck.

Thxs LS:ThmbUp:

fast4522
05-07-2019, 01:58 AM
Hello everyone, I am doing a project around the program Handifast 10.

The project is about doing it inside the Excel spreadsheet.
Where I am stuck is exactly giving the proper scoring to match the Handifast 10 program exactly the same. I love the program but I also love Excel and its environment. Obviously I was able to get CSV output then close to correctly scoring horses, but not exactly as in Handifast 10. Once I get the scoring done I intend on making PDF's to send to my Samsung tablet, I love the Bluetooth in the Samsung tablets. If you see someone in the Sportsbook at Mohegan Sun with both the laptop & tablet near the Sam machines you will know who it is.

I am just looking to get the scoring aspect right, I got everything else easily covered and would appreciate some help.

mikesal57
05-07-2019, 07:54 AM
Hi Fast ...

Would love to join in with your project....

I have massaged this in all different ways and seeing someone else try is
refreshing..
I can help, hopefully, and if I see this turning into something of interest...
we'll take it else ware .

Scoring is done only by using "ranks".....
and only with top 4 horses .

Ex:
Lets take CL....

get top 4 horses using the value figs in your chart

That will get you Ranks 1-4
transpose into this:

Rank #1 gets 100 points
Rank #2 gets 62 pts
Rank #3 gets 38 pts
Rank #4 gets 24 pts

every other horse for the CL will get ZERO
Those Value figs are only used to determine ranks

Each factor is used like this then added up horizontally for a final fig

Mike

fast4522
05-07-2019, 07:05 PM
Cool, I took a screenshot of your procedure. You have to have the data file for the Kentucky Derby right? Can you show me by example a small field like race 6 that only had 7 horses? Any user defined module like one that only uses 4 or 5 columns to get a total points for two horses and I will do the other 5 per your example.

In using Handifast 10 I found in cases where there were scratches or one scratch the third horse got bumped up to first or the other way around. But that was just from memory. If this gets interesting we can do the email thing and robust screen shots here if your interested.

mikesal57
05-07-2019, 07:57 PM
Only columns with "POINTS ASSIGNED" are calculated and horse ranks of 1-2-3-4 are used

I'll manually calculate horse #7

3 x 1.00 = 3

-10 x 1.00 = -10

20 x .38 = 7.6

41 x 1.00 = 41

48 x 1.00 = 48

-2 x .62 = -1.24

-1 x 1.00 = -1

-------------------

87 Total points

fast4522
05-07-2019, 09:27 PM
Your example is crystal clear, I was going about it differently so I will program a workbook tonight and run several races with it. My rank numbers on version 10 does not function as yours does, but the spreadsheet does do that fine. I will post tomorrow when I get home.

mikesal57
05-07-2019, 10:55 PM
Your example is crystal clear, I was going about it differently so I will program a workbook tonight and run several races with it. My rank numbers on version 10 does not function as yours does, but the spreadsheet does do that fine. I will post tomorrow when I get home.

:ThmbUp:

No problem Steve ...Keep me informed

mike

fast4522
05-08-2019, 02:15 AM
I actually got something done between 9 an 10 PM today. Previously I was loading a bris file 6 times for the same race for different output. I will be able to paste a CSV once into a data tab and then click on a splash tab to have 6 outputs on one screen to send to a tablet leaving my main screen to return to another program. What I have found over the years is only 2 races per card are worth a serious bet and with super focus you can zero into them. But Handifast is what I like to use for the dime superfecta bet. I now have the confidence to build out a program from a Excel worksheet without risking the time linking several tabs and correctly having user defined modules for each controlling the output of each to a different rectangle on one sheet I will call the splash screen. Granted several races per card are not worth betting the superfecta.

UnifiedTheory
05-08-2019, 08:07 AM
I really enjoy using Handifast. It's my favourite piece of handicapping software.

But I sometimes wonder how Handifast determines different class ratings.

Class
Performance Class
Class/Consistency

I'd appreciate it if anyone can give me more details on the info used to calculate these three different class ratings.

Thanks in advance.

mikesal57
05-08-2019, 08:55 AM
I really enjoy using Handifast. It's my favourite piece of handicapping software.

But I sometimes wonder how Handifast determines different class ratings.

Class
Performance Class
Class/Consistency

I'd appreciate it if anyone can give me more details on the info used to calculate these three different class ratings.

Thanks in advance.

UT

Glad to hear that you enjoy HF.....

If you dont mind...Can you put up some races so that I can get into it again...lol

In the mean time , here is some reading...

Mike

UnifiedTheory
05-08-2019, 09:36 PM
UT

Glad to hear that you enjoy HF.....

If you dont mind...Can you put up some races so that I can get into it again...lol

In the mean time , here is some reading...

Mike

Wow, thank you very much for all the great information contained in the Handifast Documentation!

It will take me a while to digest all of the stimulating handicapping info/ideas. I'm sure that I will enjoy Handifast even more now that I understand more about it

Congratulations to everyone who helped develop Handifast! Outstanding work!!

And I will put up some races at some point in the future. But much ruminating and testing must be done before my analysts are ready to rock! I love improving my handicapping analysis!:headbanger:

Thanks again!! :)

mikesal57
05-08-2019, 10:06 PM
Wow, thank you very much for all the great information contained in the Handifast Documentation!

It will take me a while to digest all of the stimulating handicapping info/ideas. I'm sure that I will enjoy Handifast even more now that I understand more about it

Congratulations to everyone who helped develop Handifast! Outstanding work!!

And I will put up some races at some point in the future. But much ruminating and testing must be done before my analysts are ready to rock! I love improving my handicapping analysis!:headbanger:

Thanks again!! :)

mikesal57
05-13-2019, 09:46 AM

Hey.....did you get anything out of that?

UnifiedTheory
05-13-2019, 02:14 PM
Hey.....did you get anything out of that?

Yes I did get something out of that.

Thanks again for your valuable assistance!

Here are my picks to win for Thistledown Monday May 13th:

Race 2. #6 Bringyourownsand (ML 5/2)

Race 3. #3 Baby Collette (ML 9/2)

Race 5. #5 Wendy Peffercorn (ML 7/2)

Race 7. #7 Totellyouthetruth (ML 6/1)

Race 8. #9 Romantic Cowboy (ML 5/1)

mikesal57
05-13-2019, 07:16 PM
Yes I did get something out of that.

Thanks again for your valuable assistance!

Here are my picks to win for Thistledown Monday May 13th:

Race 2. #6 Bringyourownsand (ML 5/2)

Race 3. #3 Baby Collette (ML 9/2)

Race 5. #5 Wendy Peffercorn (ML 7/2)

Race 7. #7 Totellyouthetruth (ML 6/1)

Race 8. #9 Romantic Cowboy (ML 5/1)

Ok....a buck loss...

but

dont discourage....most tracks were sloppy today

UnifiedTheory
05-14-2019, 08:40 AM
Ok....a buck loss...

but

dont discourage....most tracks were sloppy today

2/5 = 40% winners but low prices so -10% R.O.I. Oh well. :popcorn:

I usually don't bet sloppy tracks but yesterday was an exception.

Plus I usually do alright at Thistledown but my Handifast analysts usually do best at Woodbine and Golden Gate.

Onward and upward. :)

mikesal57
05-14-2019, 08:42 AM
2/5 = 40% winners but low prices so -10% R.O.I. Oh well. :popcorn:

I usually don't bet sloppy tracks but yesterday was an exception.

Plus I usually do alright at Thistledown but my Handifast analysts usually do best at Woodbine and Golden Gate.

Keep us up to date UT...

Mike

UnifiedTheory
05-14-2019, 01:53 PM
Good afternoon racing fans. :coffee:

These are my picks using Handifast for Thistledown 5-14:

Race 2 Win #1 Last Drop Of Wine (ML 5/2)
Race 2 Ex 1/37

Race 4 Win #2 Canyon Creed (ML 5/2)
Race 4 Ex 26/26

Race 6 Win #6 Lady Kim (ML 5/2)

Race 7 Win #3 Dressed In Heels (ML 5/2)
Race 7 Ex 31/31

Happy trails!:)

UnifiedTheory
05-15-2019, 08:14 AM
Soon after posting my picks for Thistledown yesterday I had regrets about the exacta picks. I haven't yet evolved my Handifast analysts enough to be making exotic bets effectively.

None of my 3 exacta picks hit but that's not too surprising and serves to remind me to learn to walk before learning to run.

Regarding win bets at Thistledown yesterday, I went 2/4 with payoffs of a meager 3.10 and 4.10. So 50% winners @ -11% R.O.I.

mikesal57
05-15-2019, 11:15 AM
Soon after posting my picks for Thistledown yesterday I had regrets about the exacta picks. I haven't yet evolved my Handifast analysts enough to be making exotic bets effectively.

None of my 3 exacta picks hit but that's not too surprising and serves to remind me to learn to walk before learning to run.

Regarding win bets at Thistledown yesterday, I went 2/4 with payoffs of a meager 3.10 and 4.10. So 50% winners @ -11% R.O.I.

Its a learning process.......

I always believe to test many tracks , you never know where it might just click...
I got a friend that does EMD...you do TDN......

you both got me scratching my head.....
If ya wanna do cheaper tracks...then try MNR or PEN...at least they have long meets

mike

tgotch
05-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Anyone know if this works on Windows 10?

I keep getting error:
Error log timestamp Monday 05/20/19 09:32:17 AM

Runtime error: OS Error: The system cannot find the path specified.

Error(Exception)>>defaultAction
Error(Exception)>>activateHandler: <anUndefinedObject>
Error(Exception)>>handle
Error(Exception)>>signal
Error class(Exception class)>>signal: <'OS Error: The system...'>
BasicRunProgram(Object)>>error: <'OS Error: The system...'>
BasicRunProgram(BasicProgram)>>terminateRun: <aFileError>
[] in BasicProgram>>errorHandlerBlock
ExceptionHandler>>evaluateResponseBlock: <aBlockClosure> for: <aFileError>
[] in ExceptionHandler>>handle:
ProtectedFrameMarker(BlockClosure)>>setUnwind: <aBlockClosure>
BlockClosure>>invisibleEnsure: <aBlockClosure>
ExceptionHandler>>handle: <aFileError>
ExceptionHandler>>findHandler: <aFileError>
FileError(Exception)>>activateHandler: <anExceptionHandler>
FileError(Exception)>>handle
FileError(Exception)>>signal
FileError class>>signal: <'OS Error: The system...'> hostErrorCode: <3>
HostFileSystemError>>defaultAction
ExceptionHandler>>findHandler: <aHostFileSystemError>
HostFileSystemError(Exception)>>activateHandler: <anExceptionHandler>
HostFileSystemError(Exception)>>handle
HostFileSystemError(Exception)>>signal
HostFileSystemError class>>signalWith: <3>
FileHandle class>>osError: <3>
FileHandle class(Object)>>osError
[] in FileHandle class>>open:access:share:create:attributes:
ExceptionHandler>>evaluateProtectedBlock: <aBlockClosure>
[] in ExceptionHandler>>activateDuring:
ExceptionHandler>>activateDuring: <aBlockClosure>
ExceptionHandler class>>handle: <anExceptionSet> with: <aBlockClosure> during: <aBlockClosure>
BlockClosure>>on: <anExceptionSet> do: <aBlockClosure>
FileHandle class>>open: <'C:\temphandi\race.ob...'> access: <3221225472> share: <3> create: <4> attributes: <128>
FileHandle class>>open: <'race.obj'> in: <aDirectory> access: <3221225472> share: <3> create: <4> attributes: <128>
FileHandle class>>open: <'race.obj'> in: <aDirectory>
File>>open
File class>>open: <'race.obj'> in: <aDirectory>
Directory>>file: <'race.obj'>
BasicRandomFile(BasicFile)>>from: <'C:\temphandi\race.ob...'> mode: <'RANDOM'> handle: <'#raceobject'>
BasicRandomFile class(BasicFile class)>>from: <'C:\temphandi\race.ob...'> mode: <'RANDOM'> handle: <'#raceobject'> owner: <aBasicRunProgram> length: <220>
[] in OpenCommand>>using:
[] in BasicRunProgram>>begin
ExceptionHandler>>evaluateProtectedBlock: <aBlockClosure>
[] in ExceptionHandler>>activateDuring:
ExceptionHandler>>activateDuring: <aBlockClosure>
ExceptionHandler class>>handle: <anError class> with: <aBlockClosure> during: <aBlockClosure>

mikesal57
05-20-2019, 09:50 AM
Is this from HandiFast program?

headhawg
05-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Handifast has to have specific folders set up to work properly. Do you have the temphandi folder on your C: drive? Somewhere in this thread are instructions on how to create the proper folders needed.

mikesal57
05-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Handifast has to have specific folders set up to work properly. Do you have the temphandi folder on your C: drive? Somewhere in this thread are instructions on how to create the proper folders needed.

yes...instructions posted MANY times!!!

Also make a folder c:handifiles

mikesal57
05-20-2019, 10:25 AM
Anyone know if this works on Windows 10?

I keep getting error:

Go look at instructions...create folders and insert the 2 files...

UnifiedTheory
05-25-2019, 11:54 PM
I have an issue with the Fibonacci rankings and both fixes I've found in earlier posts have repeatedly failed.

Attached is a screenshot of the supposed Fib rankings. I checked the analyst file and made sure it was a T rather than an F and/or changed it to a T. I also checked the scales file that Woods was on top line and Fibonacci on line two.

In my many attempts to fix it, in the analyst file the F needed to be changed to a T at times, but no change in rankings. And every time I checked the scales file it said Woods on first line and Fibonacci on line 2.

Naturally I also rebooted the computer and checked it for registry issues but still no dice.

Finally I also uninstalled Handifast completely and reinstalled a fresh copy but still can't get proper rankings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mikesal57
05-26-2019, 12:43 AM
I have an issue with the Fibonacci rankings and both fixes I've found in earlier posts have repeatedly failed.

Attached is a screenshot of the supposed Fib rankings. I checked the analyst file and made sure it was a T rather than an F and/or changed it to a T. I also checked the scales file that Woods was on top line and Fibonacci on line two.

In my many attempts to fix it, in the analyst file the F needed to be changed to a T at times, but no change in rankings. And every time I checked the scales file it said Woods on first line and Fibonacci on line 2.

Naturally I also rebooted the computer and checked it for registry issues but still no dice.

Finally I also uninstalled Handifast completely and reinstalled a fresh copy but still can't get proper rankings.

UT

Your showing a WOODS Settings...

To change to FIB...

Go INto View/Change

Click your Analysts

Click Fibonacci

Then Click Save Object Setup

IMO....I would close program each time you create a object or change one

UnifiedTheory
05-26-2019, 09:22 AM
UT

Your showing a WOODS Settings...

To change to FIB...

Go INto View/Change

Click your Analysts

Click Fibonacci

Then Click Save Object Setup

IMO....I would close program each time you create a object or change one

Thank for your reply Mike.

I've already tried doing what you suggested last night and several more times this morning after receiving your message. No dice.

And I always close and reopen the program every time I change or create an analyst.

And when I create a new analyst, I close and then reopen the program, initiate folder, create folder, give created folder a name, save analyst with fib rankings, close program, reopen program, click view/change analysts, select the analyst I just created, select fib rankings (again) for that analyst, save into it's folder. Close and reopen the program.

I still get nothing but those ridiculous Woods rankings. I don't even understand why Woods is part of the program since it's rankings are so bizarre.

mikesal57
05-26-2019, 09:38 AM
Thank for your reply Mike.

I've already tried doing what you suggested last night and several more times this morning after receiving your message. No dice.

And I always close and reopen the program every time I change or create an analyst.

And when I create a new analyst, I close and then reopen the program, initiate folder, create folder, give created folder a name, save analyst with fib rankings, close program, reopen program, click view/change analysts, select the analyst I just created, select fib rankings (again) for that analyst, save into it's folder. Close and reopen the program.

I still get nothing but those ridiculous Woods rankings. I don't even understand why Woods is part of the program since it's rankings are so bizarre.

UT

Delete the handifiles and temphandi folders....reboot PC

create both again with the 2 files in each....

re-do analysts..one at a time and close whole HF after each

UnifiedTheory
05-26-2019, 10:01 AM
I'm starting to feel that my best chance of being happy with handicapping software is to learn enough about coding in Liberty Basic to change Handifast.

I realize that learning a programming language is difficult, tedious and time consuming. But I know I have the appropriate mentality for programming from a prior experience.

A few years ago I learned a programming language called PPL in order to create a Pokerbot program. I had no illusions of making serious money with it as I knew the vast majority of Pokerbots can only grind a small profit at the lowest stakes levels at best. I simply created a Pokerbot to see if I could do it and as it turns out it was a ton of fun! I created a bot that played in 6 player sitngos and approx. 2000 lines of code writing resulted in it working fairly well. (I only wrote the poker playing part of the program, the tech part of the shell of the Pokerbot was created and maintained by Egor at bonusbots.com)

So I'm thinking I can eventually learn enough about Liberty Basic to change the code in Handifast so that Woods rankings no longer exist in the program at all. And maybe I can eventually learn to code in a higher language like Python so I can rewrite HF in Python to improve it in a few other ways. But I might be getting carried away.

My favourite thing about Handifast is that it has no default handicapping settings so it's up to the user to create their own unique settings across a good number of categories. If their was commercial software that offered the same capabilities as HF I would probably just buy that software, but if that exists I've yet to find it.

So perhaps the problems I'm having with Handifast Fib rankings are meant to be. Maybe this is the motivation I need to learn another coding language.

headhawg
05-26-2019, 10:31 AM
Go for it UT! There were a few of us who got involved in the Handifast project many moons ago. It would be cool to add another name to that list. The bulk of the HF code, of course, is Handiman's. The original version was Doug Woods' FAST program which he coded in VB. There was something that Doug couldn't do and Handi offered to rewrite FAST using Liberty Basic. Long story short -- I came in to fix some issues and and add some features. After that came mmdorn to continue working on the project. You're next, UT. :)

With Handi recovering from his health issues a couple of members have hinted that I should get back involved with HF but that is not going to happen. I am flattered, but I am working on my own stuff now. Good luck with coding, UT. It will be challenging but it seems like you're a person that doesn't shy away from challenges.

UnifiedTheory
05-26-2019, 11:53 AM
UT

Delete the handifiles and temphandi folders....reboot PC

create both again with the 2 files in each....

re-do analysts..one at a time and close whole HF after each

Thanks for your reply Mike.

However I did exactly as you advised with great care but I still only get Woods rankings.

By the way...both the analyst flg file and the scales txt file are still set properly. Rebooted computer enough times, ran Ccleaner utilities program to fix any registry issues etc, checked for windows updates, always initiated folders & created folders before building analysts, closed out HF after each analysts is built, checked analysts after created and saved again with Fib rankings again and closed reopened HF again, etc. I still get nothing but Woods rankings. :pound:

I'm figuring on spending most of my free time learning Liberty Basic or Python from now on, but...if possible... I would really like to use Handifast for a little recreational gambling during the slow process of learning a new type of coding. :coffee:

Any additional help is truly appreciated.

mikesal57
05-28-2019, 08:19 AM
Guys...

When you look at "View/Change" under analyst

MUD is really AvSpeed.....is is just a error and wasnt fixed

mikesal57
05-28-2019, 08:22 AM
Instructions for Ver 10

mmdorn
05-28-2019, 11:19 AM
Guys...

Mike

In Version 10 my "View/Change" does say MUD, not AvSpeed

Mike D

mikesal57
05-28-2019, 01:58 PM
Mike

In Version 10 my "View/Change" does say MUD, not AvSpeed

Mike D

Its a "LABEL" error that Handi forgot to fix after he made the change
He took out MUD & TURF category and added Prime & AvgSpeed in its place...

thxs for chiming in Mike

UnifiedTheory
05-28-2019, 04:37 PM
Guys...

Alright. I was already aware of this situation but thanks anyway.

I don't see how this obvious fact addresses my problem with the Fibonacci rankings that I detailed very clearly in several posts.

However I've since moved on from Handifast.

Everything happens for a reason. :)

mikesal57
05-28-2019, 04:55 PM
Alright. I was already aware of this situation but thanks anyway.

I don't see how this obvious fact addresses my problem with the Fibonacci rankings that I detailed very clearly in several posts.

However I've since moved on from Handifast.

Everything happens for a reason. :)

Moved on?...Wow ...that was fast

I would offer to fix it via TeamViewer...

if you still want to..

UnifiedTheory
06-02-2019, 11:09 AM
Moved on?...Wow ...that was fast

I would offer to fix it via TeamViewer...

if you still want to..

I graciously accept your generous offer to help me using Team Viewer.

Lately, on the analyst building screen the two ranking methods are listed on the same line even though it doesn't show up that way when the scales file is opened. Previously, on the analyst building screen the two ranking methods were listed properly just as the scales file listed the ranking methods properly but either way I only get Woods rankings. Also the analyst file has been repeatedly changed from F to a T but no difference in rankings results.

I've naturally tried deleting all HF stuff and then after rebooting did a fresh download and install but the same problem persists.

I've reread the HF forum for other possible solutions but no dice.

These days my main emphasis is centered on a new venture which takes up most of my time, but I still would like to use HF for recreational gambling when I have the time.

*Mike, If you can spare some time today to fix my Fib ranking issue with Team Viewer it would be greatly appreciated.

UnifiedTheory
06-07-2019, 09:21 PM
I was too hasty in reaching a negative appraisal of the HF Woods rankings in a previous post. It seems counter intuitive to me but weighting in such an unusual manner has advantages I failed to realize initially.

I've been using Handifast with five factors and Woods rankings all week and doing very well.

It's funny though how I can't stop playing with the weights and the number of factors. The ability to set every weight in the method is fascinating to me.

mikesal57
06-07-2019, 09:51 PM
I was too hasty in reaching a negative appraisal of the HF Woods rankings in a previous post. It seems counter intuitive to me but weighting in such an unusual manner has advantages I failed to realize initially.

I've been using Handifast with five factors and Woods rankings all week and doing very well.

It's funny though how I can't stop playing with the weights and the number of factors. The ability to set every weight in the method is fascinating to me.

UT...glad it worked out for you...
I still feel bad not getting it to work correctly on the strange issue you had...
I guess its another Windows unexplained mystery....

Keep up with the updates

UnifiedTheory
07-13-2019, 08:15 PM
I've just installed HandiSearch and made a CSV file for analysis in Excel using Bris single data files and exotic results files for the past 12 months of Woodbine.

I've got a full plate of data analysis to enjoy and I'm looking forward to it. But this will require a lot of patience since I'm new to Excel.

One thing that puzzles me right off the start though. Why does the CSV file only list two to five horses per race?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :)

douglasw32
07-13-2019, 09:03 PM
Hi- I'm so amazed that this still keeps growing!

I have not used it for some time but my 2 cents dealing with Windows 10
Right click the icon your using to launch the program and choose "run as administrator" instead of just double clicking it.

That may (or may not) solve any problems.

Worth a go...

UnifiedTheory
07-13-2019, 09:28 PM
Hi- I'm so amazed that this still keeps growing!

I have not used it for some time but my 2 cents dealing with Windows 10
Right click the icon your using to launch the program and choose "run as administrator" instead of just double clicking it.

That may (or may not) solve any problems.
Worth a go...

I've actually in the habit of running all software "as administrator" by clicking on properties, compatibility, and checking the box to always run as administrator.

But I definitely appreciate the attempt to help. :ThmbUp: Thanks!

douglasw32
07-14-2019, 12:08 PM
Was the Install done that way? “As Administrator “

douglasw32
07-14-2019, 01:55 PM
oh nope no installer - I will take a crack at creating one

douglasw32
07-14-2019, 03:22 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/imzf5kcuurmg586/HandiFast_Installer.zip?dl=0

Made an installer ... unzip and run it.

Included latest user manual (right click desktop icon created choose ‘open file location ‘) handifast ver 10 user guide pdf is in that folder.

Test it out let me know if anything needs to change.

I think 🤔 I have it correct read through the entire post
And it worked on my win10x64

UnifiedTheory
07-14-2019, 03:31 PM
Sorry I'm late in responding. I had my phone turned down by mistake and time has been really flying by today since I'm so immersed in database research.

Yesterday after I downloaded HandiSearch, I created the four folders it requires and put the HandiSearch zip file in the new HandiSearch folder then extracted to the same folder. Then I right clicked on the HandiSearch exe and clicked properties/compatibilty/always run as admin.

But an installer is a nice bonus to an already very nice program. Your generosity is appreciated by many! :)

Thanks again! :headbanger:

douglasw32
07-14-2019, 03:38 PM
I did not include handi search in the install just the latest (I think) program and instructions.

Mainly because I do not have results files to test it and didn't try wrapping my head around it lol

Also it is worth noting when done with the program I have found it stays running in the back ground and needs to be closed with task manager unless you properly exit by selecting file and exit from the gui and not just closing it with the "X" in the windows bar.

UnifiedTheory
07-14-2019, 05:16 PM
Good to be reminded of the proper way to close the program. Previously I had been just hitting CT to close the card and then X to close Handifast but from now on I'll use the exit button under the file menu.

The Handifast Installer you created works great on my computer. (Win10 64bit) Kudos!

Funny how on my computer the scales file must have one scaling method deleted or both scales often display on the same line in the analyst builder preventing a choice. I only use fibonacci so I remove woods leaving the first line blank and fibonacci on the second line.

Early this week I finally fixed the lack of fibonacci rankings I was having for a while. That definitely makes an enjoyable difference. I would describe what I did wrong to cause the issue and how I fixed it but I'm concerned that would be too humbling. :pound:

By the way, I'm curious about why the analyst.flg file sometimes goes from a T to an F? And when it's an F how does that affect the operation of the program?

I can understand why you haven't used HandiSearch as the analysis is a head scratcher. Great tool though and when I can figure out how to speed up the analysis then it should be much more fun.

Here's a screenshot of my Handisearch examination in Excel with all the raw numbers and certain columns removed and many columns narrowed.

So my question remains. Why does HandiSearch data only give two to five horses per race? Hmmmm.

douglasw32
07-14-2019, 05:25 PM
Most of that post is beyond me to answer at this time lol maybe I’ll give the search a crack - and as for fibonacci I can’t get it to work either so pretty please 🙏 give us all The humbling solution.

UnifiedTheory
07-14-2019, 06:05 PM
Most of that post is beyond me to answer at this time lol maybe I’ll give the search a crack - and as for fibonacci I can’t get it to work either so pretty please �� give us all The humbling solution.

Believe it or not, my issue with a lack of Fibonacci rankings in Handifast was simply because I had been selecting Fibonacci with a single mouse click rather than the double mouse click that is required.

The newer versions of the Handifast instructions clearly state a double mouse click is required for scaling selection. Until recently I had unfortunately been consulting a slightly older set of instructions that merely state "select" the scaling method.

But of course, if I was intelligent I would have figured this out far sooner. I imagined that the solution would be complicated.
:bang:

Sometimes I wonder how I remember to breathe.:pound:

douglasw32
07-14-2019, 06:14 PM
Holy crap 💩 genius actually! Thank you 😊

UnifiedTheory
07-14-2019, 07:37 PM
Holy crap 💩 genius actually! Thank you 😊

Ummm genius is a bit of an overstatement. :rolleyes:

But anytime my glacier-like plodding progress towards semi-intelligence can be of help to anyone else then I'm glad to be of assistance.

Happy handicapping. :coffee:

douglasw32
07-14-2019, 08:41 PM
LR- Days since last race
CL- Class Rating
DS- Distance
EP- Early Pace
SPTS- Quirin style Speed Points
LP- Late Pace
RS- Running Style (Early Middle Late)
FM- Form
PC- Performance Class
AVP- Average Purse
PRI- Bris Prime Power
ASP- Average Speed
DT- Dirt Speed
FAST- HandiFast POWER RATING
TR- Trainer
JK- Jockey
S3- 3rd back Bris Speed
S2- 2nd back Bris Soeed
S1- Last Race Bris Speed
C-C- Caroll Speed
P-S- Class/Consistency
PWR- Power/Speed Combo
CS- Mitchell Power
ML- Morning Line Odds

headhawg
07-14-2019, 08:49 PM

C-C- Caroll Speed
P-S- Class/Consistency
PWR- Power/Speed Combo
CS- Mitchell Power
Isn't C-C Class Consistency; P-S Pace/Speed; PWR Mitchell's Power number; and CS Carroll Speed?

mikesal57
07-14-2019, 09:20 PM
Isn't C-C Class Consistency; P-S Pace/Speed; PWR Mitchell's Power number; and CS Carroll Speed?

douglasw32
07-14-2019, 09:31 PM
Thanks 🙏 I took a stab at it (someone asked) I was hoping someone would chime in.

mmdorn
07-14-2019, 10:38 PM
Good to be reminded of the proper way to close the program. Previously I had been just hitting CT to close the card and then X to close Handifast but from now on I'll use the exit button under the file menu.

The Handifast Installer you created works great on my computer. (Win10 64bit) Kudos!

Funny how on my computer the scales file must have one scaling method deleted or both scales often display on the same line in the analyst builder preventing a choice. I only use fibonacci so I remove woods leaving the first line blank and fibonacci on the second line.

Early this week I finally fixed the lack of fibonacci rankings I was having for a while. That definitely makes an enjoyable difference. I would describe what I did wrong to cause the issue and how I fixed it but I'm concerned that would be too humbling. :pound:

By the way, I'm curious about why the analyst.flg file sometimes goes from a T to an F? And when it's an F how does that affect the operation of the program?

I can understand why you haven't used HandiSearch as the analysis is a head scratcher. Great tool though and when I can figure out how to speed up the analysis then it should be much more fun.

Here's a screenshot of my Handisearch examination in Excel with all the raw numbers and certain columns removed and many columns narrowed.

So my question remains. Why does HandiSearch data only give two to five horses per race? Hmmmm.

Hi,

Email me your data and result files, and I will try and see why this is happening.

Mike - mmdorn@optimum.net

douglasw32
07-14-2019, 10:44 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e22ayfcs7iqci2n/Setuphs.zip?dl=0

Here is an installer for handisearch also.

Right click icon it creates on desktop choose ‘open file location ‘ see “hani batch processor directions.pdf for usage.

Also note that if you have a ton of race files and results files instead of loading them one by one with the GUI you can just copy and paste them all into the folders created. Handibatchracedata for pp files and handibatchresults for the xrd files.

Hope it helps with the setup.

douglasw32
07-14-2019, 10:48 PM
I do not get the issue of 2-5 in the csv it produces and worth noting to get to the csv easily use the before mentioned right click ‘open file location ‘

douglasw32
07-15-2019, 07:09 AM
One question if someone can check.

Is there only one version of handisearch?

Do I have the correct one package in the installer..

I ask because the changes in HandiFast, AW/T etc to average speed/ Prime etc do not seem to be there.

mmdorn
07-15-2019, 07:39 AM
One question if someone can check.

Is there only one version of handisearch?

Do I have the correct one package in the installer..

I ask because the changes in HandiFast, AW/T etc to average speed/ Prime etc do not seem to be there.

Hi Doug,

post #827 has all the Handisearch files, and post #968 has two updated files

Handisearch.exe and Handisearch.tkn

Mike

mmdorn
07-15-2019, 07:43 AM
Doug,

I am not sure AW or Avg speed etc. were put into handisearch, when I get a chance I will check.

Mike

douglasw32
07-15-2019, 08:01 AM
Hi Doug,

post #827 has all the Handisearch files, and post #968 has two updated files

Handisearch.exe and Handisearch.tkn

Mike

Good enough thanks I probably packaged up the wrong one I will revisit it and fix it when I get free today.

mikesal57
07-15-2019, 09:08 AM
Doug,

I am not sure AW or Avg speed etc. were put into handisearch, when I get a chance I will check.

Mike

Good enough thanks I probably packaged up the wrong one I will revisit it and fix it when I get free today.

Mike -Doug ....Handifast works fine
The only small issue is that Avg Sp is just labeled wrong but the working are fine....

UnifiedTheory
07-15-2019, 11:10 AM
Hi,Email me your data and result files, and I will try and see why this is happening.

Mike - mmdorn@optimum.net

I've just emailed all the files. Thanks very much for the assistance.

I'm now going to update my version of HandiSearch with the newer exe and tkn files from post #968 to see if that addresses the issue. Probably not but it's worth a shot.

UnifiedTheory
07-15-2019, 12:46 PM
After updating my copy of HandiSearch with the newer exe and tkn from post #968 I was able to produce a complete csv file. (screenshot)

Thanks mmdorn for your kind offer to look into this for me. :)

Now it's back to slicing/dicing and analyzing this data in Excel to in order to improve my HandiFast weighting when handicapping Woodbine.

I'm thinking there must be software other than Excel that would help me analyze this csv file in a quicker and easier way but so far I haven't found it.

But so far I'm steadily learning how to use Excel and I've done a fair bit of productive analysis with Excel just using the half-size csv. Now I'll toss most of that research info out and focus on the complete csv for the past 12 months of Woodbine.

By the way, I've read that it's common for HandiSearch to stop processing when it finds a corrupt file until the corrupt file is removed (easy process explained in forum) but luckily both times I ran it 102 racing cards were processed in 12 mins without stopping at all.

HandiSearch rocks! :headbanger:

douglasw32
07-15-2019, 12:57 PM
I’m fixing the installer now for others and will try putting both of the links together somehow for easy finding and downloading here.

UnifiedTheory
07-15-2019, 01:03 PM
I’m fixing the installer now for others and will try putting both of the links together somehow for easy finding and downloading here.

Good to hear. Your efforts are appreciated by many! :)

mmdorn
07-15-2019, 01:08 PM
After updating my copy of HandiSearch with the newer exe and tkn from post #968 I was able to produce a complete csv file. (screenshot)

Thanks mmdorn for your kind offer to look into this for me. :)

Now it's back to slicing/dicing and analyzing this data in Excel to in order to improve my HandiFast weighting when handicapping Woodbine.

I'm thinking there must be software other than Excel that would help me analyze this csv file in a quicker and easier way but so far I haven't found it.

But so far I'm steadily learning how to use Excel and I've done a fair bit of productive analysis with Excel just using the half-size csv. Now I'll toss most of that research info out and focus on the complete csv for the past 12 months of Woodbine.

By the way, I've read that it's common for HandiSearch to stop processing when it finds a corrupt file until the corrupt file is removed (easy process explained in forum) but luckily both times I ran it 102 racing cards were processed in 12 mins without stopping at all.

HandiSearch rocks! :headbanger:

Trevor,

It looks like the part of the printout that I can see from the updated handisearch program is ok.

Mike

UnifiedTheory
07-15-2019, 01:22 PM
Trevor,
It looks like the part of the printout that I can see from the updated handisearch program is ok.
Mike

Yes it is Mike Dorn. HandiSearch is working great for me now.

Thanks again for your offer to help me out. I appreciate the support.

douglasw32
07-15-2019, 02:35 PM
Not sure what I am missing.

I deleted temphandi and all folders created- I downloaded the newest handisearch.zip, the two updated files as mentioned in the above response.

I extracted to new blank temphandi, over wrote 2 files. Run program build directories, initialize CSV and the figures for Turf and Mud are still TF an MY not just in the header but comparing the prime and average speed in handifast after setting all factors to zero the handisearch is not kicking out the correct figs ???

Any ideas? :bang:

Other than that it all works fine.

mikesal57
07-15-2019, 03:45 PM
Not sure what I am missing.

I deleted temphandi and all folders created- I downloaded the newest handisearch.zip, the two updated files as mentioned in the above response.

I extracted to new blank temphandi, over wrote 2 files. Run program build directories, initialize CSV and the figures for Turf and Mud are still TF an MY not just in the header but comparing the prime and average speed in handifast after setting all factors to zero the handisearch is not kicking out the correct figs ???

Any ideas? :bang:

Other than that it all works fine.

Doug....send me your email and I'll send you my zipped up folders...

douglasw32
07-15-2019, 04:59 PM
In your PM- thanks for the help

douglasw32
07-15-2019, 10:24 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2492331#post2492331

INSTALLER Tested and working.

douglasw32
07-16-2019, 11:14 AM
I was wondering if anyone has the actual source code files for LibertyBasic, It would be nice to add them to the gitHUB link in the Installer thread.

Longshot6977
07-16-2019, 08:35 PM
Doug, very nice work on the installers for both apps. Thanks! It's too bad this wasn't done a few years ago when many newbies were having install problems.

I notice that (at least in my install) that the if I tell the installer to name the folder as Handifast, it still put some files in TempHandi. Is that normal?

And now all my analysts are gone that I created in the last few years even using the default folder of HandiFiles. What is the file name(s) where all the analysts are stored? Thanks.

douglasw32
07-16-2019, 08:46 PM
OMG that sucks - did you back up the computer ever ?

Maybe you can get them back that way.

Your other questions are beyond me I just packaged up the folders into the installer hopefully someone will know.

Possibly changing the folder name overwrites something. The installer should be run Without modification- (too late to have that mentioned 🙁) hopefully someone with answer that knows where they can be found and where to move them will answer.

mikesal57
07-16-2019, 09:06 PM
Doug, very nice work on the installers for both apps. Thanks! It's too bad this wasn't done a few years ago when many newbies were having install problems.

I notice that (at least in my install) that the if I tell the installer to name the folder as Handifast, it still put some files in TempHandi. Is that normal?

And now all my analysts are gone that I created in the last few years even using the default folder of HandiFiles. What is the file name(s) where all the analysts are stored? Thanks.

I believe its lost.....

back to the drawing board buddy....

Sorry :rant:

douglasw32
07-16-2019, 09:09 PM
Well then from a computer fixing standpoint.

https://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-restore-from-a-restore-point-in-windows-10/

Might work.

Longshot6977
07-16-2019, 09:51 PM
I believe its lost.....

back to the drawing board buddy....

Sorry :rant:

Doubleclicked on an old file named Race.obj and I can see some of them kind of encrypted. Try it on your file. The data seems to be there but all spread out. I do not really want to make new ones after spending so much time in the last 2 years with handisearch creating them for me. But then again, maybe I should revisit some and recreate them anyway.

mmdorn
07-17-2019, 08:26 PM
I was wondering if anyone has the actual source code files for LibertyBasic, It would be nice to add them to the gitHUB link in the Installer thread.

Hi Doug,

I have uploaded a zip file with the source codes for Handifast and Handisearch.

Mike

douglasw32
07-17-2019, 08:33 PM
Awesomeness! Who knows where someone else might take it.

mikesal57
07-18-2019, 09:45 AM
Since all you guys have jump in lately...

Can someone fix the "MUD" error here

Its on the VIEW/CHANGE pop up window

Should be " Average Speed"

Thxs
mike

mikesal57
07-18-2019, 09:48 AM
One more note to ALL...

Using Dougs installer WILL DELETE ALL YOUR SAVED STUFF!!!!!!

I suggest to take snapshots of settings of each Analyst

mmdorn
07-18-2019, 01:18 PM
Since all you guys have jump in lately...

Can someone fix the "MUD" error here

Its on the VIEW/CHANGE pop up window

Should be " Average Speed"

Thxs
mike

Hi Mike,

I'll fix it when I get a chance

Mike

mikesal57
07-18-2019, 01:50 PM
:ThmbUp: Thx Mike

UnifiedTheory
07-18-2019, 07:02 PM
I am loving Handisearch. It's such a great tool for illuminating the most influential factors and their proper weights for Handifast.

I've finished the initial stage of using Handisearch and Excel to analyze the past 12 months of Woodbine. Some of my findings were quite surprising.

One of my surprising discoveries is that Bris Prime Power is only the 15th most influential factor during the past 12 months at Woodbine.

Even if Bris Prime Power was one of the top seven most influential Handifast factors at Woodbine I still wouldn't use it because it's popularity naturally lowers the odds on selections far too much. That's why I'm pleasantly surprised to discover that factor has little predictive power at Woodbine anyway so I can exclude it without reservation since I know I won't be lowering my hit rate.

douglasw32
07-18-2019, 07:18 PM
I am loving Handisearch. It's such a great tool for illuminating the most influential factors and their proper weights for Handifast.

I've finished the initial stage of using Handisearch and Excel to analyze the past 12 months of Woodbine. Some of my findings were quite surprising.

One of my surprising discoveries is that Bris Prime Power is only the 15th most influential factor during the past 12 months at Woodbine.

Even if Bris Prime Power was one of the top seven most influential Handifast factors at Woodbine I still wouldn't use it because it's popularity naturally lowers the odds on selections far too much. That's why I'm pleasantly surprised to discover that factor has little predictive power at Woodbine anyway so I can exclude it without reservation since I know I won't be lowering my hit rate.

Did you filter for just 1st place for finish position (then copy the filtered data to a new sheet) just asking because I come up with Prime Being one of the top predictors for Win?

UnifiedTheory
07-18-2019, 08:36 PM
Did you filter for just 1st place for finish position (then copy the filtered data to a new sheet) just asking because I come up with Prime Being one of the top predictors for Win?

Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean.

In Excel I removed every horse that did not win it's race and only looked at the 953 winners of the 953 races between July 1/2018 - June 30 2019. I then totaled the ranking numbers in every HF category for those 953 winners and with lowest numbers being best of course Bris Prime Power is 15th.

Since I've only done the initial stage of analysis, I don't yet know how the factor strengths vary at different distances/surfaces at Woodbine. It wouldn't be too surprising if BPP was a big factor in some situations.

And I fully realize 953 races is not that big of a sample so that naturally has to be taken into consideration.

I just thought it was worth noting that Bris Prime Power has been a mediocre predictive factor at best generally speaking over the past 12 months of Woodbine. At least according to my research.

But if I'm missing something please let me know because I want to learn.

douglasw32
07-18-2019, 08:51 PM
I used (=countif(start range:end range,"<2") instead of sum to show how many times the top ranked won. However I also used the whole 2 years of winners not just last years.

Also broke it by distance,surface, purse.

mikesal57
07-18-2019, 09:10 PM

My long and extensive work with HF finally came to an end last year..

Working with regression analysis , it determined that these set of factors are primal except for these few....

Most likely you can use this for every track....Dont expect more than what Joe Public predicts....

I post this as my closing present to the guys that started this....

Factor 1st column ............... Weights 3rd column

Thxs
Mike

UnifiedTheory
07-18-2019, 09:15 PM
I used (=countif(start range:end range,"<2") instead of sum to show how many times the top ranked won. However I also used the whole 2 years of winners not just last years.

Also broke it by distance,surface, purse.

Sounds like you know how to use Excel because I don't know what you just said. (=countif(start range:end range,"<2")

I've really just started using Excel and I mostly just use it to arrange data and then the sum or average functions. I look forward to actually knowing my way around it properly though.

douglasw32
07-18-2019, 09:22 PM
My long and extensive work with HF finally came to an end last year..

Working with regression analysis , it determined that these set of factors are primal except for these few....

Most likely you can use this for every track....Dont expect more than what Joe Public predicts....

I post this as my closing present to the guys that started this....

Factor 1st column ............... Weights 3rd column

Thxs
Mike

Wonderful gift ! Thanks for sharing

douglasw32
07-18-2019, 09:23 PM
Google countif I think you will enjoy using it.

mikesal57
07-18-2019, 09:28 PM
Wonderful gift ! Thanks for sharing

No ..Thank you .....and the others...
it kept me busy and made me learn
regression analysis...which I use quite frequently now .....

The only thing I can suggest as a "play"

Is to look for post time odds of 3-1 or better on either top 2 choices.....

Feedback will be welcomed :)

Mike

UnifiedTheory
07-18-2019, 09:37 PM
Google countif I think you will enjoy using it.

I just googled countif. Thanks for the tip. :cool:

Longshot6977
07-19-2019, 09:54 AM
At Monmouth, I have found that CL(class) has come in near the top winning factors in most categories including--Dirt route, dirt sprint, turf route, turf sprint, and maidens but not in my longshots (over 7-1) category . I see EP near the top in my longshots category/analyst. Each track may have different winning factors, so you should track the XRD files from them whenever you play them.

And you will need to reanalyze your winning factors after each meet/season or earlier since the track changes and affects the winning factors such as EP or LP and you want to be with the current winning factors as much as possible.

I rarely bet to win or place; mostly exactas and tris so I don't mind a heavy fav on top, but I need to see 2 or 3 other good priced contenders underneath and I track that. I sort my excel sheet not just for finish position 1, but for finish positions 2, 3 and 4 afterwards.

What did we do prior to Handisearch? Oh yeah, we guessed at the weights, LOL. Now we just need a conversion for winning factors to weights such as if Jockey is the highest factor, then it gets a 250 and if last speed is second factor it gets a 200 and so on. Enjoy!:)

douglasw32
07-19-2019, 02:53 PM
I have similar ones on my goto for all race types.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zor3kbaj06h9zep/IMG_3459.JPG?dl=0

UnifiedTheory
07-19-2019, 11:20 PM
Upon further investigation, the reason my records indicated Bris Prime Power was only the 15th most influential HF factor at Woodbine was because I neglected to use the newest version of Handisearch that's in the new installer that Doug created.

Because of this mistake what I thought were BPP and AVSP stats were actually the turf and mud stats.

Thanks again to Doug for kindly pointing this out to me via pm.

UnifiedTheory
07-30-2019, 01:24 PM
My Handifast picks for today's card at Laurel:

1. #5 Obsteen's Message
2. #2 Cool Iris
3. #1 Classic Butch
4. #7 Fionetta
5. #5 Rose's Asset
6. #3 Event Driven
7. Pass - Layoff Concerns
8. Pass - Maiden Claiming

Longshot6977
07-30-2019, 09:18 PM
My Handifast picks for today's card at Laurel:

Are you sure? Check your calendar. They don't run on Mon, Tue or Wed.

headhawg
07-30-2019, 09:36 PM
Today's Thistledown card.

UnifiedTheory
07-31-2019, 01:21 AM
That's right, my picks were actually for Thistledown. Thanks headhawg.

Results:

1. Obsteen's Message
2. Cool Iris 4.00 2.20 2.10
3. Classic Butch 2.20 2.10
4. Fionetta 9.60 5.40 3.40
5. Rose's Asset
6. Event Driven 2.40 2.10

Win bet - 13% R.O.I.. Lately I've had much better days but anytime I have a positive R.O.I. I'm ok with it.

Ever since I started using Handisearch I've been doing much better. Can't believe it took me so long to try it. For some reason I wanted to believe I could dream up better weights. :pound: Live and learn. :)

donmat
08-05-2019, 02:53 PM
Can Handifast do analysis for type of race - Claiming, Allowance, Stakes etc. and distances for these races for all tracks in a database?

mikesal57
08-05-2019, 05:12 PM
Can Handifast do analysis for type of race - Claiming, Allowance, Stakes etc. and distances for these races for all tracks in a database?

YES

It was a must when Handi was up-dating it

UnifiedTheory
08-06-2019, 05:26 PM
My Handifast picks for Presque Isle August 6/2019

1. 154 Sign of Greatness
2. 543 No Way Never
3. Pass - Layoff & FTS concerns
4. 375 Double Rainbow
5. 264 Capt. Zippounas
6. 124 Racinrosemary
7. 724 Beltway
8. 6108 Theykeeponcomin

UnifiedTheory
08-06-2019, 11:49 PM
Tonight was a good example of how handy the Handifast odds line is for determining which contender, if any, is the overlay bet. (9-2 or lower odds determine contenders for me)

1.......1....2-1
........5....2-1
…......4....3-1.....Win Bet @4-1

2..... 5....8-5
....... 4....9-5.....Win Bet @9-5
........3....(7-1)

3 Passed- FTS & LR

4.....3....8-5
.......7....4-1.....Win Bet @5-1 *** Paid $12.80 ***
.......5....4-1

5.....2....9-5
.......6....4-1
.......4....9-2.....Win Bet @7-1

6.....1....8-5.....Win Bet @8-5
.......2....7-2
.......4....4-1

7.....7....8-5
.......2....9-2.....Win Bet @13-1 ***Paid 29.90 ***
.......4....(5-1)

8.....6....2-1
......10...7-2
......8....(5-1)

Some days almost everything goes according to plan.
Hit Rate...…..2/6 = 33%
R.O.I...………..........256% :headbanger:

Handiman
08-15-2019, 07:27 PM
Some of you may know I am playing with HSH and having a grand old time. But I have not abandoned Handifast. In fact I am working on an upgrade that I think will be cool. I won't give any details cause I can be slower than molasses...LOL but I am excited about it. If it works that is....:lol:

Anyway, I will keep you updated as I progress. I have done quite a bit of work researching and think I may have arrived at something that could really make a difference. But we shall see.

UnifiedTheory
08-15-2019, 07:42 PM
Some of you may know I am playing with HSH and having a grand old time. But I have not abandoned Handifast. In fact I am working on an upgrade that I think will be cool. I won't give any details cause I can be slower than molasses...LOL but I am excited about it. If it works that is....:lol:

Anyway, I will keep you updated as I progress. I have done quite a bit of work researching and think I may have arrived at something that could really make a difference. But we shall see.

Great to hear that you're still into Handifast and that you're working on an exciting upgrade!

Godspeed to you good sir! :)

Handiman
08-15-2019, 11:24 PM
Thanks U.T.

:)

Longshot6977
08-15-2019, 11:56 PM
Thanks Handiman. Looking forward to it.

headhawg
08-17-2019, 04:29 PM

Handi:)I have been doing more research on my program than coding as well. Please keep us updated; your HF progress reports are always a great motivator for me. Best of luck.

UnifiedTheory
08-17-2019, 04:58 PM
I have been doing more research on my program than coding as well. Please keep us updated; your HF progress reports are always a great motivator for me. Best of luck.

The programming work that both Handiman and headhawg have done and are currently doing definitely helps my motivation in learning to write code.

Thanks guys! :ThmbUp:

donmat
08-19-2019, 11:27 AM
Is there a link for the latest version to install?

UnifiedTheory
08-19-2019, 07:07 PM
Is there a link for the latest version to install?

Yes there is, Post #1133 on page 76 of this thread.
There are instruction files included as part of the download.

Happy handicapping! :coffee:

donmat
08-20-2019, 02:28 PM
Having trouble with the Consensus window. All it shows is 1 analyst at a time even though I've added 4 analysts.

mikesal57
08-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Having trouble with the Consensus window. All it shows is 1 analyst at a time even though I've added 4 analysts.

Need to put Analyst in FOLDERS...

donmat
08-20-2019, 04:15 PM
Need to put Analyst in FOLDERS...

Still having the same problem.

donmat
08-20-2019, 05:00 PM
Still having the same problem.

Oh well, the Consensus only shows 3 horses anyway. Many races have 4 or 5 horses with high ratings. In general HandiFast seems to be crashing alot for me. I've created an analyst that seems to do well in many kinds of races. It usually includes the favorite but occasionally picks a longshot straight up. May post some selections this weekend.

Segwin
08-21-2019, 10:51 AM
Hello All,

Is there a good starting point or general consensus of the numbers to plug into the Build Race Window?

Thanks!

mikesal57
08-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Hello All,

Is there a good starting point or general consensus of the numbers to plug into the Build Race Window?

Thanks!

When YOU figure it out...let us know...:coffee:

donmat
08-21-2019, 04:43 PM
I have the book Winning Thoroughbred Strategies by Dick Mitchell. There's a chapter on power ratings and he mentions speed-pace ratings. How is the Mitchell power rating in Handifast calculated? I don't see anything about pace factors in Handifast.

headhawg
08-21-2019, 05:15 PM
If it's the same code that I wrote for earlier versions of HF then it's a slightly modified version of what's in the WTS book.

donmat
08-21-2019, 06:13 PM
If it's the same code that I wrote for earlier versions of HF then it's a slightly modified version of what's in the WTS book.

Thanks, how is the F.A.S.T number calculated?

headhawg
08-21-2019, 09:36 PM
The FAST number has a lot of elements and it's been a long time since I have seen the code for that. Perhaps Handiman or mmdorn will reply with an explanation.

UnifiedTheory
08-21-2019, 11:15 PM
Thanks, how is the F.A.S.T number calculated?

Here's some documentation regarding the Handifast factors.

And I highly recommend using Handisearch to illuminate the correct choice of factors and their weights.

I've had a lot of fun with Handifast since I really enjoy methods that are highly customizable and HF certainly fits that description.

Best of luck! :ThmbUp:

UnifiedTheory
08-21-2019, 11:55 PM
Hello All, Is there a good starting point or general consensus of the numbers to plug into the Build Race Window?
Thanks!

I highly recommend using Handisearch to construct analysts specifically for different tracks, distances, surfaces, classes.

But in the meantime, try this:

donmat
08-22-2019, 11:31 AM
Here's some documentation regarding the Handifast factors.

And I highly recommend using Handisearch to illuminate the correct choice of factors and their weights.

I've had a lot of fun with Handifast since I really enjoy methods that are highly customizable and HF certainly fits that description.

Best of luck! :ThmbUp:

I processed 241 files. In the temphandi folder I see an OpenOffice spreadsheet with all the races. So how do I do a backtest?

UnifiedTheory
08-22-2019, 12:24 PM
I processed 241 files. In the temphandi folder I see an OpenOffice spreadsheet with all the races. So how do I do a backtest?

I think you may have need to have Microsoft Office so you can use an Excel spreadsheet. OpenOffice is good for many things but I think someone posted that it's incompatible for this purpose.

I've purchased Microsoft Office 2010 and Microsoft Office 2003 for $6 and $15 through Ebay. I'll pm you and give you important info regarding this situation.

I'm no expert regarding Handisearch and I'm fairly new to Excel. But basically once you have an Excel spreadsheet you can sort the horse race results by finish position and then remove all lines that are not lines for horses that won their race. Once you have a spreadsheet only for horses that won their race then you can do a similar procedure to group winning horses by distance, surface, class. Then go to the bottom of the spreadsheet columns and for every column that shows ranks use the Excel average function to calculate the average ranking for each ranked factor. Then you'll be able to see which factors are most important and how important each factor is relative to each other.

donmat
08-23-2019, 06:27 PM
Lets say I have 500 processed races and I want to add 5 more DRF and XRD files. Do I have to process all 505 races again or can I just process the 5 new files so they're added to the spreadsheet?

ElmerJFudd
08-23-2019, 10:50 PM
Hi,
First time poster. I downloaded Handifast last night and got it working. I tried to get handisearch working, and now everything is jacked up when I press the handicap title. I've read through the post before and saw that people have trouble with getting it to run smoothly. Could this be related to the analyst.fig file? "F" is the only character in it.

What about the about the scales.txt file? that looks like this:
Woods

Fibonacci

I have attached a copy of the error.log.

Perhaps that will shed some light. Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Elmer

UnifiedTheory
08-23-2019, 11:42 PM
Lets say I have 500 processed races and I want to add 5 more DRF and XRD files. Do I have to process all 505 races again or can I just process the 5 new files so they're added to the spreadsheet?

I'm fairly new to Excel and I've never tried to merge two spreadsheets so I don't know about that procedure. Maybe someone else with more experience with Excel and Handisearch can chime in.

When I get more DRFs and XRDs, I just process the total amount of races again. Since it doesn't take very long to do it this way, I've yet to be motivated to look for shortcuts.

donmat
08-23-2019, 11:51 PM
Hi,
First time poster. I downloaded Handifast last night and got it working. I tried to get handisearch working, and now everything is jacked up when I press the handicap title. I've read through the post before and saw that people have trouble with getting it to run smoothly. Could this be related to the analyst.fig file? "F" is the only character in it.

Woods

Fibonacci

Thanks,
Elmer

Try to uninstall it and then install it again. I think during installation it might ask you to delete some files, say yes if it does.

ElmerJFudd
08-23-2019, 11:51 PM
When it comes to excel, Google and Youtube is your friend. I write a lot of macros, and there is a lot of code out there ready to be cut and pasted and edited to fit your needs.... The real power is in the macro.(Programs) Youtube can show you in video form how to do anything.

ElmerJFudd
08-23-2019, 11:55 PM
I found my mistake. HF is little bit unforgiving.
Now I just need to figure out how to use handisearch.
Thanks for willingness to help.

UnifiedTheory
08-24-2019, 12:29 AM
Hi,

Woods

Fibonacci

Thanks,
Elmer

"everything is jacked up" I don't know what you mean by that description.

Have you read through the Handifast manual that should be included in the downloaded folder? If the manual wasn't in your download then it can be found by checking the previous pages in the HF thread. It's not the most thorough manual but it may help.

I check the analyst file regularly and whenever it has become an F I change it back to a T but I don't know what that does and my question a few months ago regarding that situation went unanswered.

The scales file is supposed to look like this:
Woods
Fibonacci

but mine is like this:
Woods

Fibonacci

but in spite of it being technically wrong this way it works just fine for me.

If I make my scales file look the technically correct way, then on the build analyst screen both Woods and Fibonacci are on the same line preventing me from using them so I leave it the spaced apart way so that it works.

Unfortunately I don't know what to make of the error logs you posted.

In my experience, Handifast requires a little tinkering to make it work sometimes, but the price is perfect and it's definitely better than many handicapping programs that cost a fair bit of money. So if I view it from that perspective then I'm grateful to have it.

Best of luck with your Handifast experience. :ThmbUp:

ElmerJFudd
08-24-2019, 01:05 AM
UT,
I discovered that the Hf error was a matter of me not following processes to the letter. I will try to grab the manual and spend some time reading it thoroughly.
Thanks for your help.
Elmer

Handiman
08-24-2019, 01:39 AM
Hi guys. It's been so long since I wrote this program some things are hard to remember. But as for the T and F issue. I believe the file should have a T in it when you first begin. Then it turns into an F and remains that way. Has to do with the initialization procedure in the beginning I believe.

I am working on Handifast version 12. Here are some new things I hope to get done and some that are already done.

First of all I have added a third scales item named Unified Theory. It gives the values to the top 4 horses for each factor in an analyst as follows. 100.... 75....50....25. It may not come as a surprise when you see the name, a thanks goes out to Unified Theory for suggesting this third scale.

With the new version you will be able to type in the month and day that you are playing and the program will load all the tracks and races running that day. There are I believe 43 tracks available to be downloaded. A track button will appear for each track running that day. To play a race you just click the track button and then the race number button and boom you're off to the races as they say....:lol:

Now if you accidentally scratch the wrong horse you can just uncheck the box and the horse reappears and is back in the race.

I am working on a static contender ranking based off of 5 factors. When you do a race, in the final display, the top 4 horses' total points will appear in red. Also there will be a check box, that will say Contenders only. Check that box and the final display will only show the four contenders.

I am thinking about some other ideas, but some will be in a future version of the program as my eyesight gets better and I have more time. And maybe get a little smarter...:lol:

Any way for the guys having fun with Handifast, hope you are excited about these new things. I am open to suggestions for other things. I may not be competent enough to code them, but if they make sense and I can code them, I will add them. Either in this next version or a later one.

Thanks everybody for giving Handifast a try. I have done a lot of work on this program and have had some great people help. Like Doug Woods who brought the original idea forth. Headhawg, Mike Dorn, Mike Salony for all the research he has aided me in and even Dave Schwartz who has offered some great advice over the years. I know I am forgetting somebody. When and if I remember them, I will certainly mention them in another post as I am extremely thankful to those who have helped with code and those with ideas and suggestions.

Handi :)

P.S. Unfortunately I am going to have to raise the price on the new version. It will now cost two smiles and a Well done Handi...:lol: :jump:

fast4522
08-24-2019, 01:55 AM
Most of us who like and use it I think would prefer CSV output of some races to go where no one has gone before to take something from Star Trek. You go there and I would make a suggestion or two with that.

mikesal57
08-24-2019, 09:38 AM
Most of us who like and use it I think would prefer CSV output of some races to go where no one has gone before to take something from Star Trek. You go there and I would make a suggestion or two with that.

I agree Fast....

A programs ability to produce files for research is essential to its worth....like Handisearch was to Handifast

and from what I believe your saying is to have a file produced before the days races to use in other capacities.....like loading it into Excel and devise "other" ways to use it..

:headbanger:

Mike

UnifiedTheory
08-24-2019, 10:14 AM
Hi guys. It's been so long since I wrote this program some things are hard to remember. But as for the T and F issue. I believe the file should have a T in it when you first begin. Then it turns into an F and remains that way. Has to do with the initialization procedure in the beginning I believe.

I am working on Handifast version 12. Here are some new things I hope to get done and some that are already done.

First of all I have added a third scales item named Unified Theory. It gives the values to the top 4 horses for each factor in an analyst as follows. 100.... 75....50....25. It may not come as a surprise when you see the name, a thanks goes out to Unified Theory for suggesting this third scale.

With the new version you will be able to type in the month and day that you are playing and the program will load all the tracks and races running that day. There are I believe 43 tracks available to be downloaded. A track button will appear for each track running that day. To play a race you just click the track button and then the race number button and boom you're off to the races as they say....:lol:

Now if you accidentally scratch the wrong horse you can just uncheck the box and the horse reappears and is back in the race.

I am working on a static contender ranking based off of 5 factors. When you do a race, in the final display, the top 4 horses' total points will appear in red. Also there will be a check box, that will say Contenders only. Check that box and the final display will only show the four contenders.

I am thinking about some other ideas, but some will be in a future version of the program as my eyesight gets better and I have more time. And maybe get a little smarter...:lol:

Any way for the guys having fun with Handifast, hope you are excited about these new things. I am open to suggestions for other things. I may not be competent enough to code them, but if they make sense and I can code them, I will add them. Either in this next version or a later one.

Thanks everybody for giving Handifast a try. I have done a lot of work on this program and have had some great people help. Like Doug Woods who brought the original idea forth. Headhawg, Mike Dorn, Mike Salony for all the research he has aided me in and even Dave Schwartz who has offered some great advice over the years. I know I am forgetting somebody. When and if I remember them, I will certainly mention them in another post as I am extremely thankful to those who have helped with code and those with ideas and suggestions.

Handi :)

P.S. Unfortunately I am going to have to raise the price on the new version. It will now cost two smiles and a Well done Handi...:lol: :jump:

I am happy and honored to have my scales idea included in the upcoming version of Handifast and named after me. Thank you very much!

All of your ideas for the upcoming update will be a sweet treat for this community. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

In many ways I think our modern era is the era of unbridled greed. For instance, my bank charges me a maintenance fee on my credit card yet it never requires oil changes. There's so many examples of this immoral nonsense in the business world these days. This results in making your programming generosity so welcome and refreshing.

I am hereby paying for the upcoming update to Handifast up front. :):) Well done Handi!!

donmat
08-24-2019, 10:30 AM
Give examples or instructions on how to manipulate the data inside the spreadsheet.

ElmerJFudd
08-24-2019, 12:09 PM
Thanks Handi and guys for collaborating on a new release of Handifast. I look forward to using it. I'm still very new to the software, but I can tell that it has considerable promise.

mikesal57
08-24-2019, 12:27 PM
What would be a gigantic help to better HandiFast is to suggest factors that can be implemented into the program...

The easy part is to build the interface and develop the code..

The hard part is to develop factors that has value & profitability...

If your saying thats easy...think about it....and hope that it hasnt been already developed in the past 40 years....

In my years of research...Bris Prime Power will trump anything you will develop concerning final figures....

All the other handicapping factors can enhance it...like Class ..Form..Jky/Trn, Pace.....but I just cant get a finger on how...

Just some of my thoughts here....

Mike

headhawg
08-24-2019, 01:46 PM
The easy part is to build the interface and develop the code..

The hard part is to develop factors that has value & profitability...If you're an expert coder the first part is easy, I guess. I have used too many programs with poor interfaces. The coding rule is this: the easier it is for the user the harder it is for the programmer. At the very least it is more time consuming.

The second part is hard in the sense that everything has been analyzed 100 ways to Sunday. There are still different ways to look at things, but handicappers need to use their brains and not simply rely on software. Programs are just tools, not black boxes. Our brains can adjust dynamically whereas programs are more-or-less static entities until the code changes. Most people are not willing to put in the time to learn the software, and that's true for free software like Handifast or for something like HTR. Look at HSH with 4000+ factors. Is there some combination of those that might lead to profits? I'm sure, but if one does the math that's a helluva number of possible combinations. Only the dedicated users will make it work for them.

As far as BPP the issues are twofold: one, it correlates highly with the tote. I have no idea what the r is. .65? .75? Higher? Maybe someone has done the research on that broken out by class, track, surface, distance. The second issue is the reliability of the calculations given the recent issues regarding BPP. Is it fixed?

mikesal57
08-24-2019, 02:04 PM
If you're an expert coder the first part is easy, I guess. I have used too many programs with poor interfaces. The coding rule is this: the easier it is for the user the harder it is for the programmer. At the very least it is more time consuming.

The second part is hard in the sense that everything has been analyzed 100 ways to Sunday. There are still different ways to look at things, but handicappers need to use their brains and not simply rely on software. Programs are just tools, not black boxes. Our brains can adjust dynamically whereas programs are more-or-less static entities until the code changes. Most people are not willing to put in the time to learn the software, and that's true for free software like Handifast or for something like HTR. Look at HSH with 4000+ factors. Is there some combination of those that might lead to profits? I'm sure, but if one does the math that's a helluva number of possible combinations. Only the dedicated users will make it work for them.

As far as BPP the issues are twofold: one, it correlates highly with the tote. I have no idea what the r is. .65? .75? Higher? Maybe someone has done the research on that broken out by class, track, surface, distance. The second issue is the reliability of the calculations given the recent issues regarding BPP. Is it fixed?

Well said HH....

and "r" for BBP is closer to 9 or over

But like I said...other handicapping factors can actually effect BBP

For example....

BBP has 4-1-6-3-5

But a Class Factor has 6-8-1-4-5-3

So what this is saying...the 4 has superior figs compared to the rest..BUT.....It was done in less class races...so is that enough to bet against him?

Mike

headhawg
08-24-2019, 03:20 PM
Well said HH....

and "r" for BBP is closer to 9 or over

But like I said...other handicapping factors can actually effect BBP

For example....

BBP has 4-1-6-3-5

But a Class Factor has 6-8-1-4-5-3

So what this is saying...the 4 has superior figs compared to the rest..BUT.....It was done in less class races...so is that enough to bet against him?

MikeI know you just gave a simple example but I think that it's impossible to tell unless you know how BPP and Bris class are calculated. And I also think that ranks can be misleading as it doesn't take into account score differences (gaps). To expand on your example, what if the BPP gap between the 4 and the 6 is 1.2, but the Class gap between them is only .8? Now what? Is the 1.2 meaningful? The .8? Are both gaps meaningless because they are virtually the same? This is a tough game even if you're smart about it.

Dave Schwartz
08-24-2019, 03:47 PM
Look at HSH with 4000+ factors. Is there some combination of those that might lead to profits? I'm sure, but if one does the math that's a helluva number of possible combinations. Only the dedicated users will make it work for them.

I try not to "invade" other software threads and this will be no exception. I will try to offer something useful.

Truth be told, there are absolutely zero factors anywhere in HSH or any other software, for that matter, that by themselves will be profitable.

There once were a few such factors. For example, when I first began with HSH, Jim Cramer's "Best 1st fraction ever" factor was flat-bet profitable to the tune of a whopping 2.5% all by itself! Over the years I watched it deteriorate.

As it gradually went southward, it remained slightly profitable in route races. Now, even that is a slight losing proposition.

Cramer also has a number that is like BRIS' Prime Power: PSR. In fact, he has 2 of them, one being an older version that is still in the downloads. HSH has a 3rd one, a proprietary factor called simple, "RTG."

PSR was once profitable at 8/1 and above. That is, if you watched every race, at every track, and bet all the #1 PSR horses that went off at 8/1 or above, you would find yourself making money. As I recall, this occurred about 4 times on a typical Saturday in the summer.

Personally, I find this to be completely impractical. I mean, who is going to actually WATCH 400 races to see which horses fit the criteria?

But then it began to be assimilated into the public's handicapping and the lowest odds began to go up. It went to 10/1, then 12/1. Last I saw it was at around 15/1.

This rise in odds has changed those 4 plays per day to about 3 now.

Sorry, but the news is bad.
There are no single factors that will make you profitable.

The news gets worse.
Because of the influence of the whales, all of the really important factors are pretty much normalized to "flat." That is, the top 3 ranks for EVERYTHING comes in around $1.75.

And even more bad news.
Those who think that you will "lay in the weeds" for that $160 horse that will "make your year" are going to be disappointed. Besides... you can't bet much on them anyway.

BUT WAIT! All is not hopeless!
There is a ray of sunshine. In fact, the news is so good that there is a way to way.

No, this is not one of those $79-get-rich-quick systems... The ones that start with, "I've made so much money and now I just want to share with the world..." blah-blah-.

Not that. The thing is that it can be done but not the way you think. Maybe not even a way you're going to enjoy.

Here's what it is...
You need to become an expert at telling the difference between a good low-odds horse and a bad one.

If you can actually do that, you will be be able to at least break even throwing darts.

But, you don't get to say, "ALL favorites are bad bets." That has to stop.

You have to train yourself to get good at this. Every race needs to begin with this step. If there is an honest-to-goodness BET AGAINST horse, then the race is playable.

How do you train yourself? By tracking how well you do.

Oh, I've done it now. I've assigned homework. Yup. It will take work.

But it is worth it.

This comes with my money-back guarantee... oh wait. I didn't charge anything.

Seriously, if you do this, you will become really hard to beat.

"Your mission, Mr. Phelps, should you decide to accept it," (cue MI music) "... is to only play races where you have a low-odds horse that will, in the long run, lose 40 cents per wagered dollar."

Hope this helps.
Have a good time.

Dave

ElmerJFudd
08-24-2019, 08:23 PM
I think tracks can have considerable lane bias', I don't know if that is addressed in Handifast. GulfStream had an inside lane bias going yesterday and for much of the summer. I'm going to explore biases such as lanes and run styles. (Closers, Stalkers, and speed - although I think HF can probably find what run styles are working.)

Segwin
08-25-2019, 01:22 AM
I highly recommend using Handisearch to construct analysts specifically for different tracks, distances, surfaces, classes.

But in the meantime, try this:

Thank you.

UnifiedTheory
08-25-2019, 01:26 AM
Thank you.

You're welcome. Glad I could be of assistance.

mikesal57
08-25-2019, 08:57 AM
I think tracks can have considerable lane bias', I don't know if that is addressed in Handifast. GulfStream had an inside lane bias going yesterday and for much of the summer. I'm going to explore biases such as lanes and run styles. (Closers, Stalkers, and speed - although I think HF can probably find what run styles are working.)

Lanes?....No

Maybe Post Positions

That is something YOU need to be aware of before placing your bets

Longshot6977
08-25-2019, 09:19 AM
I mentioned this last year but it never came to fruition; workouts. Maybe the addition of the new HF having a weight for the number of workouts in the last 30 days or something.

We really don't need the actual times, but rather the quantity of them in a certain time period. For example, if a horse has 3 or 4 workouts in the last 30 days, it gets additional points on his score to reflect sharp fitness. If it has none or one, then maybe subtract some points.
:):) Well done Handi...:jump:

mikesal57
08-25-2019, 09:27 AM
I mentioned this last year but it never came to fruition; workouts. Maybe the addition of the new HF having a weight for the number of workouts in the last 30 days or something.

We really don't need the actual times, but rather the quantity of them in a certain time period. For example, if a horse has 3 or 4 workouts in the last 30 days, it gets additional points on his score to reflect sharp fitness. If it has none or one, then maybe subtract some points.

this can be done...but in my experience its more helpful with young horse..Maidens

fast4522
08-27-2019, 07:01 PM
I agree Fast....

A programs ability to produce files for research is essential to its worth....like Handisearch was to Handifast

and from what I believe your saying is to have a file produced before the days races to use in other capacities.....like loading it into Excel and devise "other" ways to use it..

:headbanger:

Mike

My other ways to use it is longhand, I have two modules I generate with Handifast that are part of a formulation that I won't talk about that gets me some real nice superfectas. Having tried everything under the sun to get the same four consistently from Handifast alone I reside to the longhand method. While I am sharp enough to only bet one or two primo bets a day I find the Superfecta is what I really what I want to expand into but longhand limits me.

donmat
08-31-2019, 09:18 PM

I think some kind of rating based on workouts would be valuable not only for maidens but other races also.

mikesal57
09-01-2019, 12:54 AM
I think some kind of rating based on workouts would be valuable not only for maidens but other races also.

Guys....workouts are non-significant unless your dealing with maidens...

I have HSH ( thousands of factors) and I've worked numerous statistical analysis programs to prove it....

So lets look elsewhere

Mike

fast4522
09-02-2019, 06:53 PM

OK, you did not hear it from me so you and I won't talk about it. Beaver Yeast has done that better than anyone.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-123045.html

Tom
09-02-2019, 07:11 PM
Take a look at the GWSLR workout in Barry Meadows book.
Ken Masa came up with it, and he has a WO rating in HTR what is extremely useful when used in concert with other factors,ie, class drop, Good work, or blinkers off, good work.

Handiman
09-03-2019, 03:08 AM
I will think about it. See what I can do.

donmat
09-03-2019, 10:23 AM
I noticed that within the spreadsheets generated by Handifast there is no column for track condition such as Fast-Good-Muddy-Sloppy. Is this something that can be added in the future?

mikesal57
09-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Guys....

We are not looking for bit & pieces here....

We are looking for WOW FACTORS!!!!

EX:

I mentioned that workouts alone dont do much....but when Tom added an idea from the Meadows Book.....that is something to look into...

The thing is , Handi needs to gather info on that and try to program it.....
He may or cant get that far and might need help.

Thx

Handiman
09-05-2019, 10:37 PM
Moving along with the program upgrade. One thing that is of paramount importance is the ability to spot weak favorites. That is one thing I would love to add to Handifast. But as of this date, I have not figured out how to do that. I am open to suggestions.

I am not privy to the idea gleaned from Meadow's book that was spoken about here. So if someone would like to enlighten me I'd appreciate it.

Handi:).

headhawg
09-07-2019, 10:53 PM
Moving along with the program upgrade. One thing that is of paramount importance is the ability to spot weak favorites. That is one thing I would love to add to Handifast. But as of this date, I have not figured out how to do that. I am open to suggestions.Dave Schwartz has made some recent posts along those lines. I thought you would be privy to his insights given your relationship. If he gives away any secrets please pass them along. :)

mikesal57
09-08-2019, 08:54 AM
Dave Schwartz has made some recent posts along those lines. I thought you would be privy to his insights given your relationship. If he gives away any secrets please pass them along. :)

Its not that far off than what most people can deduct HH....

Its just a few factors where the favorite falls short on...

The hard part was deciding those factors with the intense research it needed

Dave Schwartz
09-08-2019, 10:40 AM
Dave Schwartz has made some recent posts along those lines. I thought you would be privy to his insights given your relationship. If he gives away any secrets please pass them along. :)

I believe Handi is speaking about the Barry Meadow's book.

Handiman has access to everything from our most recent and highly-successful approach. We have agreed that it will not be part of the Handiman software. (I don't help him THAT much.)

As for the "secrets" themselves, I've spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to simplify it down to something useful to a PPC (paper-pencil-calculator) player. I just can't seem to do it.

While the process is really easy and simple to an HSH user, it is a mountain of work for a PPC.

As I have said for a long time, the real key to winning is understanding the low odds horses and how they fit into the scheme of the handicapping.

I've honed that part of the game into something extremely powerful. That is what we call The PLAY AGAINST HORSE. (I call the PAs.)

There is one fellow in our public Facebook group who has been playing most days and posting these PAs before the races go off. Frankly, he's a bit of a celebrity because he's been kicking ass for a couple of weeks.

The hit rate on ODDS-ON and PLAY AGAINST is around 22%. In other words, when Steve says the play is a LOSING PROPOSITION, they lose big money.

If you can do that consistently, you could throw darts at the rest of the field and make money.

Handiman (Milford) has been doing some of this as well, but he usually posts his plays. As he's posted here, he's winning consistently.

Dave

headhawg
09-08-2019, 10:51 AM
I believe Handi is speaking about the Barry Meadow's book.

Handiman has access to everything from our most recent and highly-successful approach. We have agreed that it will not be part of the Handiman software. (I don't help him THAT much.)Yes, the Meadow book for the workout angle, but I was referring to his comment about finding weak favorites. And joking about giving away secrets. :)

Segwin
09-08-2019, 11:08 AM
Hello all,

Used HandiSearch to do a profile of TDN. Everything worked correctly as far as I can tell.

Question is how do I use this information to build a Race Analysis? I dodn't see any PDF on the subject and a Google search of this site doesn't produce many results.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dave Schwartz
09-08-2019, 11:32 AM
Yes, the Meadow book for the workout angle, but I was referring to his comment about finding weak favorites. And joking about giving away secrets. :)

Ah. If I can figure out how to package this so that it could be done practically by a paper-pencil-calc person, I will make it available.

It is not a trivial thing to do without HSH. It involves 4 different handicapping objects and some are very top-heavy with stats-based factors.

I might be able to produce a PHILOSOPHICAL version of it, but the natural response would be "Well, that's just stupid." LOL

Probably why it works as well as it does.

The philosophical version, from the 10,000-foot level would be:

Since we know that about 3-out-of-4 winners are bet down from their "gate odds," we want to know who those horses are likely to be.

BTW, we do this without ever looking at the actual tote board.

I mentioned that Steve K. plays his "Beat the Favorites" game in Talking Handicapping. Other guys occasionally play along.

The odd thing is that the play-against horses that the other guys pick are generally the horses that Steve is BETTING!

Of course, that fits right into the principles behind the PLAY AGAINST system, but it is interesting to watch unfold.

I recall one recent day when Steve's PAs were like 0-6 and his low odds MPs (must plays) were 3-3. Someone else was mirroring Steve's plays but from the wrong side. He'd not bet all 6 of the PAs, but had called all 3 winners Play Against.

Dave

headhawg
09-08-2019, 11:40 AM
The philosophical version, from the 10,000-foot level would be:
Since we know that about 3-out-of-4 winners are bet down from their "gate odds," we want to know who those horses are likely to be.

BTW, we do this without ever looking at the actual tote board.
Would this be an extension and/or a more elaborate version of your 1-2-3 seminar? There was a lot of very good stuff in those lessons.

headhawg
09-25-2019, 11:55 AM
Apparently, Dave's not here. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACfNSqsi_mE

mikesal57
10-07-2019, 11:25 AM
Dave Schwartz just posted that Handi is in ICU.....he is in critical condition

Speed Figure
10-07-2019, 12:16 PM
Hoping he makes it..🙏🏾

Longshot6977
10-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Many prayers to Handiman.

headhawg
10-08-2019, 12:03 AM
Damn. Sorry to hear this news. Prayers out to Handiman.

UnifiedTheory
10-10-2019, 01:02 PM
Many prayers to Handi and his family through these extremely difficult times.

mmdorn
11-10-2019, 10:51 AM
All my prayers to Handi and his family. He is such a good person, that God has to make him better.

Mike

mikesal57
11-10-2019, 11:00 AM
All my prayers to Handi and his family. He is such a good person, that God has to make him better.

Mike

Mike...Handi's home recovering....

eztowing
04-02-2020, 04:52 PM
when I try to run the program i receive the following error :
cannot locate VMW31W.DLL; check PATH statement

can you help me??

eztowing
04-02-2020, 04:54 PM

can you help me??

mikesal57
04-02-2020, 07:05 PM

can you help me??

Do these 2 things

Create 2 folders on you main drive...usually c:

c:temphandi
c:handifiles

put both files in each folder

It still is a quick and fun program that still picks winners with correct weights and factors once you figure it out :)

eztowing
04-16-2020, 06:31 PM
I have toiled the last 5 days trying to get Handifast to work.. I have read all 1240 posts so many times I have almost memorized them. Same with the user guides. I am not a computer whiz but I think I know enough. I have downloaded just about every version of the program enclosed in all the posts, deleted and reinstalled many times but still hitting a snag. The latest version is V11.0 in post#984 on Pg. 66. Created both new folders handifast and handifiles, extacted the Handifast V11 in the handifast folder, extracted the 2 files ver 10 in the handifiles folder. checked the analyst file and made sure a T was there, checked scales file and there is WOODS on line 1 and FIbonacci on line2. When I run the program I click settings, click initialize analysts folders.
click settings again create analysts folder, type a name for the folder, click create folder, name appears above the box, click close..click race analysts, click build analysts and then BOOM!! I get the following screen:

#flag
#analystfolder
#main
#horse1
#race objectcontrol
#raceobject
#analtotalfolder
#tempraceobject
#racedat
#objectbuild

These handles closed by Liberty BASIC.
Please add the appopriate CLOSE commands.
Followed by:
Runtime Error: OS Error:The system cannot find the file specified.
(see error.log for more information)

I am running Windows7 Home Premium...can't find any registry errors or anything else that would cause this. Can you help me??

mikesal57
04-16-2020, 06:42 PM
I have toiled the last 5 days trying to get Handifast to work.. I have read all 1240 posts so many times I have almost memorized them. Same with the user guides. I am not a computer whiz but I think I know enough. I have downloaded just about every version of the program enclosed in all the posts, deleted and reinstalled many times but still hitting a snag. The latest version is V11.0 in post#984 on Pg. 66. Created both new folders handifast and handifiles, extacted the Handifast V11 in the handifast folder, extracted the 2 files ver 10 in the handifiles folder. checked the analyst file and made sure a T was there, checked scales file and there is WOODS on line 1 and FIbonacci on line2. When I run the program I click settings, click initialize analysts folders.
click settings again create analysts folder, type a name for the folder, click create folder, name appears above the box, click close..click race analysts, click build analysts and then BOOM!! I get the following screen:

#flag
#analystfolder
#main
#horse1
#race objectcontrol
#raceobject
#analtotalfolder
#tempraceobject
#racedat
#objectbuild

These handles closed by Liberty BASIC.
Please add the appopriate CLOSE commands.
Followed by:
Runtime Error: OS Error:The system cannot find the file specified.
(see error.log for more information)

I am running Windows7 Home Premium...can't find any registry errors or anything else that would cause this. Can you help me??

This is pix of my folders contents....
Hope it all works out...

mikesal57
04-16-2020, 06:47 PM
Here is a zip file of main program....

I suggest to delete "Folders" and "Builds" and start over so that the other folder stores the info correctly

eztowing
04-17-2020, 08:24 PM
Just got home, I will try this tomorrow..When you say delete folders and builds are you referring to the existing temphandi and handifiles and delete all previous versions??

mikesal57
04-17-2020, 08:28 PM
:headbanger: Just got home, I will try this tomorrow..When you say delete folders and builds are you referring to the existing temphandi and handifiles and delete all previous versions??

Handiman
04-18-2020, 12:43 AM
Hi guys. Here's the latest. I have been diagnosed as being in advanced Heart failure. How long I have left, No one seems to know. At present I have 3 man made devices in my system keeping me alive.

I am Home on a gazillion meds. Can't seem to concentrate much, so finishing the Handifast upgrade I started may never see the light of day. I am sorry for that, but just can't summon up the energy to get it done. Maybe down the road if I get a little better, but the prognoses for that is not good.

Take care everyone. And God Bless.

SoCaGambler
04-18-2020, 04:53 AM
Hello Handi,
I am happy to hear that you are home and able to say hello to us. We have had you in our prayers for a long time.
The program can wait you need to concentrate on yourself, that is much more important.
I for one can say I have had many hours of fun playing around with your programs that you have shared with us on this forum.
Thanks again for your generosity.
God Bless you Handi.

mikesal57
04-18-2020, 08:22 AM
Handi....

Great to hear from you ......

Working with you , Mike and Doug on this was an adventure but
it will last on here forever....

You are stronger than the 6 Million Dollar man with what you've been thru!!

Stay healthy my friend

Mike

Longshot6977
04-18-2020, 09:28 AM
Handiman, prayers for you will continue. Thanks for giving us a brief update. Don't worry about the program, it will still be used and admired for years. No reason to say sorry as you have already done a great job with it. Never give up hope since modern medicine can still work miracles.

headhawg
04-18-2020, 09:41 AM
Take care of yourself, Handi. As Longshot wrote the prayers will continue. Thanks for your work on Handifast and letting me help out. You motivated me to start coding again and my inspiration to keep doing it. Every time you posted an update to Handifast it reminded me to get off my ass and write some code. Be well my friend, and may God bless.