PDA

View Full Version : The paddock and the post parade

Vengeance of Rain
02-14-2012, 04:04 PM
I was wondering if anyone had insight they wanted to share regarding the nuances of body language.

I'm good at this in people but as far as horses go am pretty lost.

What do you look for? Whats a good sign? What is not?

How much does it affect your wagers?

Are you the type who, when at the track, has to be in the paddock area before every race?

Thanks in advance.

Bettowin
02-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Read The Body Language of Horses. It's a good start.

Greyfox
02-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Anyone interested in Physicality Handicapping should look towards
Joe Takach.

Here is a link that will connect you with several articles and links related to Joe's observations.

http://www.joe-takach.com/_Recent_Articles/_recent_articles.html

HoofedInTheChest
02-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Joe Takach.

Here is a link that will connect you with several articles and links related to Joe's observations.

I would have to agree with Greyfox, i read through all the articles a year ago and found them very useful, the problem is i'm never at the track to use them although there is some telling signs in the post parade.

tbwinner
02-14-2012, 06:59 PM
This doesn't have to do with attitude or a horse's body language but conformation or appearance of legs.

There was a trainer at Arlington that based his wagers on how a horse's legs looked: their ankles, knees, tendons, etc. From what it seemed, he didn't have much success, which led me to believe that unless you keep detailed notes on horses' legs and appearance between EVERY race that this is of no use. I've always believed that conformation has NO EFFECT once a horse has starting running and, to a point, winning, much like breeding (I've overheard say "this horse is bred to LOVE the turf" when it has been off the board for 10 turf starts).

So, if I was doing physicality handicapping, I would give much more consideration to a horse's body language rather than their legs or physical looks/conformation.

Vengeance of Rain
02-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Joe Takach.

Thanks to all of you.
I read a bunch of these last night. Good stuff!

Robert Fischer
02-15-2012, 12:35 PM
I was wondering if anyone had insight they wanted to share regarding the nuances of body language.

I'm good at this in people but as far as horses go am pretty lost.

What do you look for? Whats a good sign? What is not?

How much does it affect your wagers?

Are you the type who, when at the track, has to be in the paddock area before every race?

Thanks in advance.

Read The Body Language of Horses. It's a good start.

This doesn't have to do with attitude or a horse's body language but conformation or appearance of legs.

There was a trainer at Arlington that based his wagers on how a horse's legs looked: their ankles, knees, tendons, etc. From what it seemed, he didn't have much success, which led me to believe that unless you keep detailed notes on horses' legs and appearance between EVERY race that this is of no use. I've always believed that conformation has NO EFFECT once a horse has starting running and, to a point, winning, much like breeding (I've overheard say "this horse is bred to LOVE the turf" when it has been off the board for 10 turf starts).

So, if I was doing physicality handicapping, I would give much more consideration to a horse's body language rather than their legs or physical looks/conformation.

Having limited time, I look at legs and conformation during races.
In the paddock and post-parade/warm-up I mainly check for extreme body language factors. It is never a bad sign to see a contender on his toes.

usedtolovetvg
02-15-2012, 12:39 PM
TDU - Trainer Dressed Up. A trainer who always wears jeans and a t-shirt suddenly appears in a suit. Thinks he's getting his picture taken. Forget about the owners. They know nothing.

tbwinner
02-15-2012, 01:53 PM
TDU - Trainer Dressed Up. A trainer who always wears jeans and a t-shirt suddenly appears in a suit. Thinks he's getting his picture taken. Forget about the owners. They know nothing.

Be sure you got the right race. He could be entered in a stake later that day :)

Robert Fischer
02-15-2012, 02:18 PM
good karma looks nice here in the 5th.

Striker
02-15-2012, 02:19 PM

I give you a horse on the Chicago circuit that a knee the size of a human head and that was Dots in Style. I made note of this and the horse performed very well including 9 wins ina row from 9/17/10 to 4/19/11. At arlington the knee was the same size everytime I saw the horse. I thought for sure this horse was washed up having a knee like that. Nope.

tbwinner
02-15-2012, 04:24 PM
I give you a horse on the Chicago circuit that a knee the size of a human head and that was Dots in Style. I made note of this and the horse performed very well including 9 wins ina row from 9/17/10 to 4/19/11. At arlington the knee was the same size everytime I saw the horse. I thought for sure this horse was washed up having a knee like that. Nope.

Right, exactly. And I know for a fact (bc Tammy D trained the horse) the horse had visible tendon issues. So one who looks at that horse without having detailed prior records on her might exclude her from his/her wagers that day because of a problem that had been there all along.