PDA

View Full Version : please explain THIS ride in San Marcos by Smith

sammy the sage
02-14-2012, 08:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpExa8VRxqU

Usually see these kinda rides in allowance races...not graded stakes...perfect 2nd or 3rd spot....then all way back TO last...rally strongly...only to get lucky or unlucky and end up 2nd w/much THE best horse

the winner of the race was aptly named....should use that race video in the Tv series "Luck"...

ps....had NO betting interest in the race...just doing my homework.

Robert Fischer
02-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Wasn't impressed by Utopian here.

cj
02-14-2012, 12:55 PM
I think dropping back when the others move prematurely in a 10f race probably earned him 2nd.

Robert Fischer
02-14-2012, 01:17 PM
I think dropping back when the others move prematurely in a 10f race probably earned him 2nd.

Agree. good call. :ThmbUp:

Between timing his move to have a run left for the wire, as well as moving along the hedge when Norvsky(sp?) was what 4-5? path wide moving sooner...!

CJ, If we correct for those 2 factors, Does Utopian even get 2nd??

pondman
02-14-2012, 01:45 PM
That is such an odd distance, starting down the hill, that Smith probably looked for hints from the movement of other jockeys and didn't want to set near the front. Probably a quick strategic decision on his part and got the horse a piece of the pie.

Robert Goren
02-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Lucky to get second. It took a near perfect ride to get that. Not anywhere near the best horse in the race. I would move it back at least two lengths if was assign some sort of number to that race. The horse would have been middle of the pack if Smith hadn't given it such a good ride.

JimG
02-14-2012, 02:39 PM
That was not an example of a bad ride. That was an example of an excellent ride.

Jim

ArlJim78
02-14-2012, 03:20 PM
I didn't see the ride in question but I have a high opinion of Smith and his ability to know where to place the horse. he's no dummy.

sammy the sage
02-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, observations everybody...looks like I'm in the extreme minority here...it's all good.