PDA

View Full Version : Reverse psychology....those sneaky GOPer's

sammy the sage
02-13-2012, 10:27 PM
""we find something quite stunning: "House Republican leaders said Monday they would introduce a bill extending the payroll-tax break for the rest of the year without finding spending cuts to offset the program's cost. The proposal marks a major shift for Republicans, who previously had insisted that the costs of extending a trio of provisions expiring at the end of the month be offset with spending cuts." That's right - no offsetting spending cuts. Which means one thing - much more debt. How much more? At least $160 billion much. Which means that the debt ceiling discussion will hit not in November as we speculated previously, but potentially as soon as September.""

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/gop-finally-discovers-obamas-achilles-heel-just-let-him-do-what-he-does-and-encourage-it

Hope it works.

horses4courses
02-13-2012, 10:35 PM
That GOP bunch will do absolutely anything to regain the WH, won't they?

acorn54
02-13-2012, 10:51 PM
i don't think i would want to be a member of the political party in power in the next election. the shit is going to hit the fan in the next few years. there is going to be alot of angry citizens if austerity measures are taken to reign in the debt.
being a member of the ruling party will be a thankless job.

newtothegame
02-14-2012, 02:45 AM
""we find something quite stunning: "House Republican leaders said Monday they would introduce a bill extending the payroll-tax break for the rest of the year without finding spending cuts to offset the program's cost. The proposal marks a major shift for Republicans, who previously had insisted that the costs of extending a trio of provisions expiring at the end of the month be offset with spending cuts." That's right - no offsetting spending cuts. Which means one thing - much more debt. How much more? At least $160 billion much. Which means that the debt ceiling discussion will hit not in November as we speculated previously, but potentially as soon as September.""

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/gop-finally-discovers-obamas-achilles-heel-just-let-him-do-what-he-does-and-encourage-it

Hope it works.
It's another political move.....
The repugs want to try and place themselves in the spot as helping the middle class.
But, you and I have agreed in one major aspect sammy...NONE of them current POS care one damn bit about us. I would gladly give back that payroll tax break if I thought for a minute they would be fiscally responsible. Sadly, they won't, so I say F&^% em! Let me keep getting it! I know much better how to spend my money then they do or at least have shown!

Robert Goren
02-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Sometimes people, even republican congressmen, do the right thing. This was one of those times.

newtothegame
02-14-2012, 05:46 AM
Sometimes people, even republican congressmen, do the right thing. This was one of those times.
So you are ok with more spending and NO cuts to balance? NICE.....:bang:

cj's dad
02-14-2012, 08:02 AM
So you are ok with more spending and NO cuts to balance? NICE.....:bang:

Of course he is. The Democrat mantra "tax and spend".

Richie
02-14-2012, 08:17 AM
that payroll tax cut is ridiculous, please, its a reduction in the FICA that should have never been allowed in the first place, just hurts social security in the long run, absurd

ArlJim78
02-14-2012, 09:14 AM
When Republicans took a hard line in last years debt limit negotiations they were called heartless extremists who refuse to compromise and want nothing more than to shut down the government.

Now a proposal to pass the payroll cut without strings is called a sneaky move by Republicans because they will do anything to get back in the WH.

Meanwhile nobody says anything about the president's complete fantasy budget the sole purpose of which is not to somehow manage to make good legislation out of it, but to use it to run against a do-nothing congress.

I agree with Richie, that payroll cut should have never happened.

jdhanover
02-14-2012, 09:24 AM
I am always fascinated by this discussion but I never hear the answer to the key question - what would you cut? Don't answer 'waste' (everyone's definition is different and the occasional wacky story is always very small relative $$$) or some tiny Department (a la Rick Perry) as those are VERY small drops in the bucket.

Since the bulk of the budget is SS, Medicare and Defense, your choices are ONLY:
1) Raise tax revenues - how and on whom?
2) Cut Social Security - if so, how and how much? And what will seniors living on SS do with less income?
3) Cut Defense spending - how much and in what way?
4) Cut medicare/medicaid - how much and who will pay for senior citizen health care?

This is why, I think, neither party really has a platform. Both scream things but when the rubber hits the road, they run away.

BTW the way I think the answer lies in doing all 4 of the above as painful as that is. And it will be.

Tom
02-14-2012, 10:10 AM
The dems are now balking - they do not want this issue to be agreed to because it limits their leverage on other issues. Call their bluff......gotta love it.

No problem - the dems have not had a budget for three years - why stat now? The one Der Kenyen Kommandant is proposing is a non-starter it is so ridiculous. Even Dingy Harry will avoid it.

acorn54
02-14-2012, 11:42 AM
politics as usual
not addressing pressing issues that this country faces
well eventually the financial markets will force action to be made