PDA

View Full Version : 3,000

Blenheim
02-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Got to give a nod to Todd Pletcher as he notches win number 3,000 on Hutcheson Stakes day. I believe he had 7 entries for the day: 3 winners, 1 place, 1 show, and two off the board including the favorite in the last race.

Still early along the Derby Trail and he has annexed the Holy Bull and the Hutcheson. From what I have read he has El Padrino going to the Risen Star (gonna be a good one) and has a few live ones going in the Fountain of Youth. Easy to understand why Hansen has left the building. Won't make a difference where Hansen runs as he is likely to meet a Pletcher horse somewheres along the way. Why not draw a line in the sand and fight right here right now come the Fountain of Youth?

I haven't followed Mr. Pletcher all that much but after watching his horses in the past few weeks they seem to have a special quality about them - they appear to run lighter on their feet and possess a quick turn of foot and when coming back to the winners circle they appear to have enjoyed running the race. Pletcher has some special knowing, some special knowledge, some special understanding the others don't - kinda like Jamie Ness, but on a different level. Both of em' know something the others don't - and others hate em' for it. I never was much of a hater and always thought it appropriate to give a nod of appreciation when it is due. No doubt, it is appropriate in this circumstance.

Once again, a special nod to Mr. Pletcher on notching victory number 3,000.

Nothin' like the Derby Trail.
Looking forward to the Risen Star and the FOY - two live ones back to back!

lamboguy
02-13-2012, 03:52 PM
they are both incredible trainers. no doubt they put out horses that are just plain awesome.

i have put out a few champions, so i know how tough it is to have so many running at the top levels at 3. to me its a matter of luck, to him its poetry in motion

cj
02-13-2012, 04:29 PM
they are both incredible trainers. no doubt they put out horses that are just plain awesome.

i have put out a few champions, so i know how tough it is to have so many running at the top levels at 3. to me its a matter of luck, to him its poetry in motion

Which champions have you put out? What does put out mean?

Dahoss9698
02-13-2012, 06:39 PM
This has to be a joke, right?

johnhannibalsmith
02-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Wow, I think I dreamed this exact conversation a few nights ago.

Dahoss9698
02-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Wow, I think I dreamed this exact conversation a few nights ago.

More like a nightmare.

turninforhome10
02-14-2012, 03:07 AM
Hey Dahoss, Not trying to get smart but who are on your accomplished trainer list?
Mine is Whittingham, Sunny Fitzsimmons and the Ben Jones
With Pletcher
3000 wins is pretty tight and the guy comes from decent stock. Did a hell of a job getting the right owners. I agree that having the best makes you look good, but gaining the trust of an owner to hand you over a million dollar horse is no small task starting out. He is the cat's pajamas right now and does not look to have a chink in his armor. But look at his former boss who was in the same position 25 years ago, can't find Lukas with a search warrant. As long as the guy keeps getting classy horses he will stay on top. And his owners look to have deep pockets.
I would so love to see another truck and trailer horse came from nowhere and leave Pletcher"s jaw hanging in the Derby. I am all for the Lil E Tee's and Mine that Bird types that remind us money can't buy a Derby.
3000 wins is good for Pletcher but is amazing to see that a lot of handicapper's and fans could really care less. Funny business.

Dahoss9698
02-14-2012, 11:05 AM
I respect Pletcher's training abilities a great deal. He's a very good trainer and a terrific businessman.

My problems with the post have to do with the hater stuff, which is just ridiculous. You're not a hater if you have a problem with a guy like Ness winning at nearly 50% for the Tampa meet. You're not a hater if you are tired of watching Pletcher horses at run out of their skin at Gulfstream.

Lukas has lost almost all of his clients either due to death or other reasons. He's certainly lost a step and a lot of his decisions now are certainly questionable. But the guy won races at the highest level for a very long time. Not preps or allowances. His horses flat out performed on the biggest stage (Triple Crown, Breeders Cup, etc) over and over again. That is something Pletcher has not been able to do yet despite training an overwhelming number of the best stock every year.

I guess I'm just kind of old school. When it comes to actual training of a horse I'll take someone like Allen Jerkens over Jaime Ness every single day.

cj
02-14-2012, 11:40 AM
kinda like Jamie Ness, but on a different level. Both of em' know something the others don't - and others hate em' for it.

It is pretty clear Ness knows how to cheat, but more importantly, he knows when he gets caught the penalty isn't much of a deterrent. He has a laundry list of violations.