PDA

View Full Version : Food police: time to restrict sugar?

DJofSD
02-13-2012, 03:21 PM
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/02/should-there-be-a-minimum-age-for-sugar-consumption/252507/

Should There Be a Minimum Age for Sugar Consumption?
By Marion Nestle

Feb 6 2012, 6:08 PM ET

A provocative new report from the prestigious science journal Nature suggests that sugars are so unhealthy that they should be regulated.

Robert Goren
02-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Magazines are stirring the pot these days in order to sell even few copies. Take anything printed these days with a grain of salt.

thaskalos
02-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Eliminate sugar and white flour from your diet, and you will not believe the difference...not only in the way you look...but also in the way you FEEL.

And this comes from the biggest skeptic of them all...

bigmack
02-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Magazines are stirring the pot these days in order to sell even few copies. Take anything printed these days with a grain of salt.
The irony. The irony.

http://www.wildsound-filmmaking-feedback-events.com/images/apocalypse_now_kurtz.jpg

boxcar
02-13-2012, 04:28 PM

Except when a left-leaning rag writes about Obama, right?

Boxcar

boxcar
02-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Eliminate sugar and white flour from your diet, and you will not believe the difference...not only in the way you look...but also in the way you FEEL.

And this comes from the biggest skeptic of them all...

Are you including all types of sugar?

Boxcar

TJDave
02-13-2012, 05:05 PM
"Added sweeteners pose dangers to health that justify controlling them like alcohol."

Because we've done such a good job controlling alcohol. :rolleyes:

Robert Goren
02-13-2012, 05:21 PM

And this comes from the biggest skeptic of them all...I have looked in to the flour part. It is amazing how hard that is to do. I still working on plan to do it. Wheat flour is in almost everything.

acorn54
02-13-2012, 05:25 PM
I have looked in to the flour part. It is amazing how hard that is to do. I still working on plan to do it. Wheat flour is in almost everything.

i have not searched for products without wheat flour but maybe if you go to an organic food store you might have success

JBmadera
02-13-2012, 05:26 PM
All this kind of stuff makes me laugh, guess there is no such thing as personal responsibility. Apparently we are all just a bunch of freakin' morons and cannot make any decisions regarding our own welfare.... please goberment please save me from myself................... :ThmbDown:

thaskalos
02-13-2012, 05:30 PM

Boxcar

Yes...all types of sugar.

nijinski
02-13-2012, 05:52 PM
I would be feel deprived without chocolate. In fact I'm buying some high end chocolate for myself tomorrow !

thaskalos
02-13-2012, 06:04 PM

Boxcar
Sorry Boxcar...I should have been more precise.

The natural sugar which is found in fresh fruits is permissible.

boxcar
02-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Yes...all types of sugar.

That's nonsense, imho! Processed foods are not as good as natural foods, e.g. refined white sugar, bleached flour, etc. Natural foods are, generally, a lot better, which includes but is not limited to brown rice, brown pasta, raw sugar, wheat flour, etc.. And natural sugar is a lot sweeter than the refined stuff, so one can use a lot less. More expensive to buy, but cheaper to use.

But at the end of the day, we should all defer to the expert opinion of our National Self-appointed Nutritionist Michelle Ma Belle. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

thaskalos
02-13-2012, 08:17 PM
That's nonsense, imho! Processed foods are not as good as natural foods, e.g. refined white sugar, bleached flour, etc. Natural foods are, generally, a lot better, which includes but is not limited to brown rice, brown pasta, raw sugar, wheat flour, etc.. And natural sugar is a lot sweeter than the refined stuff, so one can use a lot less. More expensive to buy, but cheaper to use.

But at the end of the day, we should all defer to the expert opinion of our National Self-appointed Nutritionist Michelle Ma Belle. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

My friend...

Don't presume to know everything...and don't disagree just for the sake of arguing.

I have followed a certain diet for months now...and I would like to recommend it to you -- and everybody else -- if you would like to be more alive and energetic than you were at any other time in your life. It isn't easy...but IT WORKS!

This is all that I eat:

VEGETABLES: Green leafy vegetables, green beans, broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, etc...

LEGUMES: Lentils, black-eyed beans, navy beans, etc...

MEATS: Only wild-caught fish, not fried.

And I use only extra virgin olive oil in my food.

No sugar of any type...no fruit of any kind, and no bread al all!

Not only have I lost all the weight that I needed to lose, without counting calories at all...but I feel better at 50 years old than I have ever felt in my life.

I wake up in the morning with so much energy...I feel like I can knock the walls of my house down with my bare hands; and I had been feeling weak and lethargic for YEARS before I started following this diet...

Try it for yourself and see...and you will thank me.

cj's dad
02-13-2012, 08:35 PM
I would be feel deprived without chocolate. In fact I'm buying some high end chocolate for myself tomorrow !

I met you at Belmont and if I were in the area you would not have to buy chocolates for yourself.

boxcar
02-13-2012, 08:52 PM
My friend...

Don't presume to know everything...and don't disagree just for the sake of arguing.

I have followed a certain diet for months now...and I would like to recommend it to you -- and everybody else -- if you would like to be more alive and energetic than you were at any other time in your life. It isn't easy...but IT WORKS!

This is all that I eat:

VEGETABLES: Green leafy vegetables, green beans, broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, etc...

Not only have I lost all the weight that I needed to lose, without counting calories at all...but I feel better at 50 years old than I have ever felt in my life.

I wake up in the morning with so much energy...I feel like I can knock the walls of my house down with my bare hands; and I had been feeling weak and lethargic for YEARS before I started following this diet...

I hate to argue with you BUT....I don't need to lose weight. In fact, neither does my wife. :cool:

However, your diet is a good one. Can't knock it, so I won't. There is much to be said for full or partial vegetarianism. But it's not for me. Too limited. And besides, I'm preparing for the Marriage Feast of the Lamb on this side of death. I have a feeling that on the other side, the feast will consist of a lot more than veggie dishes. :D

Boxcar

RaceBookJoe
02-13-2012, 08:52 PM
My friend...

This is all that I eat:

I've done that and totally agree. rbj

wisconsin
02-13-2012, 08:53 PM
My friend...

This is all that I eat:

This overweight, newly turned 50 wants to know what you do to crave a sweet tooth. Are tomatoes out? I like those drizzled with olive oil. Can I eat sugar free candy ever? What do you do when you can't find fish? What about Christmas and Thanksgiving dinner?

More personally, what kind of weight have you lost and what timeframe. I'm getting desperate to change my ways.

Thanks in advance....

NJ Stinks
02-13-2012, 09:21 PM
My friend...

This is all that I eat:

No wonder you are always in a bad mood, Thaskalos.

Just kidding!! I couldn't resist! :D

I'm with you on the wild-caught fish....But living without chocolate candy, bread, etc. takes a better man than I.

nijinski
02-13-2012, 09:23 PM
I met you at Belmont and if I were in the area you would not have to buy chocolates for yourself.
That's very sweet of you CJ'S D :)

Rookies
02-13-2012, 09:57 PM
This is all that I eat:

Hmmm... interesting. Any health issue Thaskalos?

I have a genetic marker that I have to defeat in addition to losing weight and the usual suspects, BP & LDL. That diet closely approximates what I should eat, with some additions. e.g. Lean Chicken /Pork are ok... Beef is to be avoided.

JustRalph
02-13-2012, 10:13 PM

You dog......... :lol:

Thask, been there done that.......headed back that way soon...... :ThmbUp:

thaskalos
02-13-2012, 11:17 PM
This overweight, newly turned 50 wants to know what you do to crave a sweet tooth. Are tomatoes out? I like those drizzled with olive oil. Can I eat sugar free candy ever? What do you do when you can't find fish? What about Christmas and Thanksgiving dinner?

More personally, what kind of weight have you lost and what timeframe. I'm getting desperate to change my ways.

Thanks in advance....

I love tomatoes...and I also like them drizzled with olive oil.

A year ago, I weighed about 220 pounds at a height of 5' 11". But I felt tired all the time...and I had minor aches and pains all over my body, including my chest and abdomen area. I initially went on the Atkins diet, but, eventhought I lost about 15 pounds rather quickly, I felt uneasy about eating eggs and fatty meats every day at my age...so I switched to the diet that I described here.

I now weigh 185 pounds...but that's not the thing that has me so enthusiastic. I feel better than I could ever describe with words. I mean...I feel INDESTRUCTIBLE...and even as I laugh when I type this word, it's the only word that can describe what I feel like when I get up in the morning.

I am not usually a fanatic about things, and it's not my nature to be a crusader about this cause or that...but health and well-being is of the utmost importance...so I wouldn't mind being a crusader about something like this.

Try this diet for a month, and I guarantee you that you will feel so much better than you do now...you will never even think of "cheating" with sweets or greasy foods.

In the last 8 months, I have cheated on this diet 2 times...once by eating 2 slices of sausage pizza, and the other by eating a slice of cheesecake and a peace of baklava (a Greek pastry).

I felt a queezy feeling in my stomach almost immediately...and I soon threw up both times. And those were the only two times I have thrown up in my life.

I feel so good right now...that I will never cheat on this diet ever again.

And you are talking to a guy who used to eat garbage all hours of the night...

thaskalos
02-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Hmmm... interesting. Any health issue Thaskalos?

I have a genetic marker that I have to defeat in addition to losing weight and the usual suspects, BP & LDL. That diet closely approximates what I should eat, with some additions. e.g. Lean Chicken /Pork are ok... Beef is to be avoided.
No health issues to speak off; just minor aches and pains...and all-around lethargy.

But this diet cured them all...and I feel better than I did when I was twenty.

I never would have thought that a person's diet could have such far-reaching affects...but it does.

jognlope
02-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Just substitute in a small portion of vegetables and/or beans if you can to your favorite pasta meal or side dishes. Otherwise, eat what you want, just half though. I guarantee you'll be fine with just half after about 20 minutes.

jognlope
02-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Tomatos, tomatos, act as antinflammatory, help digestion, vitamin C. Especially canned tomatos added to your dish and a little tomato paste. There are lots of great foods that don't come in boxes you can eat.

PaceAdvantage
02-14-2012, 04:17 AM
I met you at Belmont and if I were in the area you would not have to buy chocolates for yourself.Where's Chuck Wollery NOW when we really need him? :lol:

Robert Goren
02-14-2012, 04:29 AM
i have not searched for products without wheat flour but maybe if you go to an organic food store you might have success We have exactly one of those here and the prices are outrageous.

Robert Goren
02-14-2012, 04:48 AM
I am trying to figure out a way to get there without the veggies. Fresh fruit and veggies are a big no no as are nuts for people with Crohn's. Most cooked veggies make gag literally. I have big problem getting my body to absorb enough protein and some other nutrients. Cutting down on meat is not much of an option. I really would like to try being Guten free for awhile, but it is not an easy or cheap thing to do. I would have to get some stuff from the internet.

Tom
02-14-2012, 07:42 AM

Including this post? :D

Tom
02-14-2012, 07:45 AM
I just had a Valentine donut.
It was a heart shaped glazed and pink inside.

I was thinking the heart shape was convenient in case I needed a transplant after all that sugar.

Going down the hall for another one............know your limits.

wisconsin
02-14-2012, 09:18 AM
I love tomatoes...and I also like them drizzled with olive oil.

A year ago, I weighed about 220 pounds at a height of 5' 11". But I felt tired all the time...and I had minor aches and pains all over my body, including my chest and abdomen area. I initially went on the Atkins diet, but, eventhought I lost about 15 pounds rather quickly, I felt uneasy about eating eggs and fatty meats every day at my age...so I switched to the diet that I described here.

I now weigh 185 pounds...but that's not the thing that has me so enthusiastic. I feel better than I could ever describe with words. I mean...I feel INDESTRUCTIBLE...and even as I laugh when I type this word, it's the only word that can describe what I feel like when I get up in the morning.

I am not usually a fanatic about things, and it's not my nature to be a crusader about this cause or that...but health and well-being is of the utmost importance...so I wouldn't mind being a crusader about something like this.

Try this diet for a month, and I guarantee you that you will feel so much better than you do now...you will never even think of "cheating" with sweets or greasy foods.

In the last 8 months, I have cheated on this diet 2 times...once by eating 2 slices of sausage pizza, and the other by eating a slice of cheesecake and a peace of baklava (a Greek pastry).

I felt a queezy feeling in my stomach almost immediately...and I soon threw up both times. And those were the only two times I have thrown up in my life.

I feel so good right now...that I will never cheat on this diet ever again.

And you are talking to a guy who used to eat garbage all hours of the night...

What do you drink out side of water? Can you have a beer or wine? How do you handle an outing where these foods are not accessible (ballgane/track/family trip). This sounds so great to me. I also have a stupid schedule of 12 hour days, and have no place to cook here. I have to eat after 8pm, which is a big no-no. What do you snack on?

Tom
02-14-2012, 10:15 AM
I lost 35 pounds almost overnight and with NO effort, just by cutting out white bread, potatoes, and ice cream. That's it.

Whole-wheat bread, substitute cauliflower - mashed, home fried - for taters and a couple of spoons of sugar free ice cream at night instead of a gallon of double chocolate fudge ripple with hot fudge topping over a brownie. :p

Home-fried cauliflower for breakfast - very good, actually. Microwave the cauliflower to soften it up a bit and just treat it like potatoes in a frying pan.

DJofSD
02-14-2012, 10:22 AM
I dropped a few "lb's" by not using any added sugar and not drinking any soft drinks using high fructous corn syrup. I'm now very close to my weight while in high school. I still drink beer and have the occasional dessert. Learning portion control helps a lot.

jognlope
02-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Bob G - I can't do the fruit and nuts, and only a few veggies. I had too much fruit yesterday and had a lot more hunger and acid reflux at bedtime. So I'm going to limit my fruit and eat only after or with fat. I can't eat nuts either. And veggies go inside a dish usually, not separate.

jognlope
02-14-2012, 11:11 AM
I have to have bread, just seem to get so hungry without it, but definitely whole wheat. I would love to cut that out though. All I can do is limited to 1 to 2 slices so far. Don't need sugar, that stuff always made me hyper. Never used it. Black coffee with heavy cream in the morning (the heavy cream was recommended by some guru on Dr. Oz yesterday, something to do with insulin in morning). He also said 2 teaspoons of almond butter before bed to regular insulin. He said a bunch of stuff it just makes me dizzy all the stuff on Dr Oz.

RaceBookJoe
02-14-2012, 12:49 PM
I have to have bread, just seem to get so hungry without it, but definitely whole wheat. I would love to cut that out though. All I can do is limited to 1 to 2 slices so far. Don't need sugar, that stuff always made me hyper. Never used it. Black coffee with heavy cream in the morning (the heavy cream was recommended by some guru on Dr. Oz yesterday, something to do with insulin in morning). He also said 2 teaspoons of almond butter before bed to regular insulin. He said a bunch of stuff it just makes me dizzy all the stuff on Dr Oz.

Whole wheat isnt that good either. Try whole grain breads, live grains etc. Ezekiel bread is ok..better toasted and they also make a version of tortilla shells. rbj

boxcar
02-14-2012, 01:07 PM
try this story on for size. The tyranny in this country is getting harder daily. Everyday we can find a story whereby some agency at some government level intrudes itself into our personal lives and takes away our choices or seizes control over some personal aspect of our lives. Here is such a story:

Preschooler’s Homemade Lunch Replaced with Cafeteria “Nuggets”

RAEFORD — A preschooler at West Hoke Elementary School ate three chicken nuggets for lunch Jan. 30 because a state employee told her the lunch her mother packed was not nutritious.

The girl’s turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, according to the interpretation of the agent who was inspecting all lunch boxes in her More at Four classroom that day.

The Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs — including in-home day care centers — to meet USDA guidelines. That means lunches must consist of one serving of meat, one serving of milk, one serving of grain, and two servings of fruit or vegetables, even if the lunches are brought from home.

http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclusives/display_exclusive.html?id=8762

Brought-from-home boxed lunches are inspected by the state (i.e a "food police officer"). And if they don't meet the inspector's guidelines, they're rejected and food is given to them from the cafeteria.

And the megabytes of irony in this story is that the replacement food was chicken nuggets -- not exactly the world's most nutritious food. (Google "chicken nuggets" and you can find some rather interesting horror stories associated with this great food.)

More and more the government is seizing control over our children and are replacing parents for parenting duties. This is precisely how authoritarian governments work. They focus on children because their goal is to control them, to indoctrinate them, to brainwash them. It's far easier to do this to children than to adults (well, with some adults anyway).

Boxcar

Tom
02-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Have you ever seen a chicken's nuggets? :eek:

cj's dad
02-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Have you ever seen a chicken's nuggets? :eek:

Bet they're not as good as crab balls !!!

thaskalos
02-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Bet they're not as good as crab balls !!!

I didn't know that crab balls were that big!

lamboguy
02-14-2012, 02:49 PM
i have to agree with everything THASKALOS has said here. what i want to add is if you are trying to change your eating habits, i would recommend that you don't exercise for about 3 weeks until you are used to eating differently. a big mistake is that people think that when they workout it gives them the green light to eat.

if you eat the way THASKALOS recommend's, you are giving your body a chance to let the natural healing process work. that is probably why he has more energy now.

Tom
02-14-2012, 03:23 PM
I didn't know that crab balls were that big!

Only on one side.

:lol:

DJofSD
02-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Only on one side.

:lol:Only a crab tailor would know for sure.

RaceBookJoe
02-14-2012, 07:10 PM
For those who need their sweets, bake your own. There is a product called "Just Like Sugar"..comes in regular,powdered and brown. Its a great sugar supplement for those who dont like agave, stevia and those smart enough to avoid the chemical aspertame products like nutrasweet/sweet&low/equal etc. rbj ps: Just Like Sugar is made from Chicory Root

Tom
02-15-2012, 02:43 PM
try this story on for size. The tyranny in this country is getting harder daily. Everyday we can find a story whereby some agency at some government level intrudes itself into our personal lives and takes away our choices or seizes control over some personal aspect of our lives. Here is such a story:

Boxcar

You VILL eat der nuggets....and you vill like them.

bigmack
02-15-2012, 02:55 PM
One element to the superhighway of dropping el bee's. Crack!

(Side effects 'may include' spontaneous combustion, random detachment of limbs, sudden loss of ones head, oily bowels, full body shrinkage & loss of possessions, home & loved ones. So what you're livin' on the streets. You'll be thin!)

boxcar
02-15-2012, 03:14 PM
VIDEO: Public School Official: Parents 'Don't Know What's Best' For Their Child

It‘s a comment that’s causing quite the controversy in Michigan and forcing the question: Who knows whats‘ best for a child’s education?

During a Michigan House Education Committee hearing earlier this month, Debbie Squires, director of the Michigan Elementary and Middle Schools Principals Association, told members that while parents may have have the best intentions, they may not know what‘s best for their children’s education.

“[Educators] are the people who know best about how to serve children, that’s not necessarily true of an individual resident,” Squires said. “I‘m not saying they don’t want the best for their children, but they may not know what actually is best from an education standpoint.”

http://www.wtam.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668&article=9757098

Let's take this kind of authoritarian, one-size-fits-all thinking to its logical conclusion, shall we? The premise is: Educated People Know What is Best for Everyone Else. Educated People employed by government are here to help the Ignorant Masses. So...if Educated People get to decide what is the best food for someone else's child to eat because they're too stupid/ignorant to know better, then why stop with food? Wouldn't Educated People also know what is better in all other areas of a child's life? Wouldn't they know what's BEST for a child's proper and healthy development? What if Educated People decided it's best for your child to explore his or her sexuality at very young, tender ages -- even with others their own age? After all, it would be UNHEALTHY to suppress those natural feelings. Or what if Educated People said that a HEALTHY society is one where everyone's views on social issues are in harmony, and therefore, everyone's children must be "taught" what these proper and healthy views and outlooks are?

What a snobbish, condescending, elitist this "educated" person in the video is! Make no mistake about it: She is really saying that Father doesn't know best, but that the State does!

I haven't researched this out yet, but I understand the mother of this little girl, who was probably traumatized when the some jack-booted agent seized her little lunch box, was on FNC today.

Boxcar

jognlope
02-15-2012, 07:57 PM
If I want sugar, I'm eatin sugar, a little bit not overboard. Also local news is saying that in a study, the side that ate a sweet breakfast with lots of fat lost more weight. They showed thick slices of carrot cake.

boxcar
02-16-2012, 01:05 PM
I found a story on Fox about this school lunch incident involving this little 4-y.o. who had doubt instilled into her about her mom's ability to care for her. But from what I have gleaned from the vid, I have this sinking feeling that the Food Police will become a reality not only in schools but everywhere else -- eventually! The main reason I say this is because the mom and the child's grandmother seem far more concerned about being made to pay for the food supplements (such as milk for which they're now paying for and substituting for apple juice) than they are about the real issue which, of course, is the audacity of authoritarian-style state overruling a parent's God-given right and responsibility to care for their own children. I didn't hear anywhere in the story where either the mom or grandmother were concerned with this all-important, over-arching premise.

I get the feeling that this nation has so lost its moral compass that most people will buy in to anything the government is selling, including turning over the care of their children to the state.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1454658623001/school-lunch-police

Boxcar