PDA

View Full Version : The demise of NBA Basketball

sq764
12-19-2003, 01:27 PM
Let me preface this by saying I HATE NBA basketball. I couldn't not think of anything more tortuous than having to watch and entire NBA game that ends 71-70..

With that being said, I used to like basketball back in the day when Magic and Dr J would battle or Bird and Isiah would battle.. And the games would end 120-118!! every night!!

I am so tired of hearing how the defenses are so much better and complex, which leads to the low scores.. No.. The players suck in the NBA and they can't shoot.. It's pathetic to watch.

We get all of the Sixers games here (And thank God for that), and I watched Allen Iverson miss 11 straight shots the other day.. Not acrobatic shots, simple jump shots.. And this is supposed to be one of the best players in the NBA..

Come back Larry Bird, Come back Michael Cooper, and Andrew Tony and join Reggie Miller in the pure shooter club..

Valuist
12-19-2003, 09:08 PM
You can thank ESPN and shows like Sportscenter. You don't see too many 13 foot jump shots on Sportscenter, but you'll see plenty of dunks and 3 pointers. The fundamentals are just awful; kids don't practice shooting jump shots, unless they are 3 pointers. ESPN now even has a show about "street ball".

ranchwest
12-19-2003, 10:34 PM
Andrew Toney, whew! I had the opportunity to see him play in college. What a player! Not only could he shoot, but they were rainbows, nobody blocking those shots.

Buddha
12-19-2003, 11:21 PM
I too would have to agree with SQ. I don't watch any pro basketball anymore, and will only watch some college. The pros used to be much better 10 years ago or so when there were better players, and like Valuist said, more "players", not showboaters. The advent of Street Ball on ESPN will only make the young players try harder to "impress" others while not really bettering their basketball skills.

As for the scoring, I can agree somewhat that the zone defense now allowed in the NBA will slow the game down a bit, but they should still be able to score. It has just gotten bad.

andicap
12-19-2003, 11:41 PM
Ratings are up 25% this year so far on ESPN and TNT from a year ago. By focusing on the exciting Western Conference and great players like Carmelo Anthony (OK, he's good and might be great), and Kevin Garnett, etc., the networks are showing the real NBA, not the crap they play in the Eastern Conference.
I don't watch much regular season -- too many players take trips off down the court because everyone makes the playoffs -- but the NBA is on the upswing so far this season.

Buddha
12-20-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by andicap
Ratings are up 25% this year so far on ESPN and TNT from a year ago.

I think that has a lot to do with Carmelo Anthony, which you have already mentioned and Lebron James. Everyone wants to see how good he is. How many times over the last 2 or 3 years have the Cavs been on network TV? Prolly not many, and I know they have been on a few times this year already.

Valuist
12-20-2003, 03:15 PM
I think the publicity for James is the main reason for the ratings increase. Anthony and Dwayne Wade also look like they will become stars in the league.

Bubbles
12-21-2003, 07:06 PM
It's not just NBA ball that's suffering. High school ball, with guys like LeBron, is suffering as well. My high school's star player once scored 61 in a game, AND NO ONE ELSE SCORED IN DOUBLE FIGURES. They were never very good at handling the ball, are short, and can't rebound too well. Last year's star player just got a free ride into Holy Cross (Keith Simmons, have no idea how he's doing), and everyone's double-teaming the selfish 61-point guy. AND WE'RE UNDEFEATED! How screwed up is this?

JustRalph
12-21-2003, 07:26 PM
The NBA is still in Business? Who woulda Thunk it!

dav4463
12-22-2003, 01:32 AM
I watch Tim Duncan every time the Spurs are on TV. He is a "throwback....old school player".....and he has won two titles and is the reigning MVP....also an all-around nice guy. Too bad the focus is always on the "thug" players rather than the fundamentally sound players like Tim.

Valuist
12-22-2003, 10:01 AM
Definitely agree on Duncan. He's substance over flash.

Watched Lebron on TV the other night. I had been skeptical but I came away very impressed. Sure Nike probably overpaid but this guy will be a major force in the league.

brdman12
12-22-2003, 01:46 PM
Wade doesn't get the publicity, but is and will continue to be the best of this rookie class. Lebron James is the real deal and will only get better. Scoring is down because the defenses are better, because zone defense forces too many outside shots, and because there so many young players shooting that long three.
The NBA lacks the control instilled by the college coach. It lacks the young fans colleges have. But it is still the best against the best in that sport. Give me a team that hustles at any level, and they'll stay close. Its true in the NBA as well. Alan Iverson can play out of control, he can hog the ball, look like a gang banger, But no one can outhustle him, no one plays as hard from the opening bell of the season. And every coach would love to have a guard so fearless and quick.
The NBA is so unlike the basketball we think ought to be played. But its not the same we played. Those players are at another level, and play too long a season.

delayjf
12-23-2003, 12:45 AM
The main difference I see is that few teams play to win anymore. The Celtics, the Sixers, Lakers in the early 80's. The Pistons, and Bulls in the 90's. Those teams played to win championships, period. Furthermore, they played as a team. And because there were more than one team with that attitude, it made for great rivalies.
Today, you get the idea that most teams could care less. Throw in the enormous salaries, plus the bad attitudes of some of the marque players. It's easy to see how the NBA has lost it.