PDA

View Full Version : Hyperbaric Chamber explosion in Kesmarc

nijinski
02-10-2012, 01:41 PM
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/fatal-hyperbaric-chamber-explosion-reported-marion/nHZLx/

Horrible accident!
.One woman and one horse were killed and another woman seriously injured in a hyperbaric chamber explosion at Kesmarc Florida in Marion County. According to Ocala.com, the horse was inside the chamber and started kicking and before the staff could turn off the chamber, an explosion sending debris over a 1,200-square-feet space occurred.

from PR

These chambers are used frequently on racehorses . This is sad but as well a reminder of the potential risks!
An investigation should be underway as to the exact cause.

Ocala Mike
02-10-2012, 11:07 PM
This happened two miles west of where we live, and we heard the explosion followed by lots of sirens. My son-in-law works for a local TV station, and he got called out to cover the story. Apparently, the precaution of covering the horse's shoes was not taken, and while the chamber was being shut down the horse started kicking and a spark from the shoes striking metal set off the explosion. Very sad; this is at the old Farnsworth Farms TB site, but I understand the horse was an event horse, not a race horse.

Ocala Mike

Grits
02-11-2012, 08:11 AM
HBs have been discussed here in the past. To say I was devastated learning that an animal was blown to kingdom come, a young woman of 28 was killed, while another was airlifted to a trauma center with head injuries--is an understatement.

nijinski
02-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Protocols and checklists are a must with equipment like this. Indeed a tragedy .
This is not the first death in Florida with the HBC .
Kesmarc also has a Kentucky facility .The one in Florida resides on the Farnsworth Farm property . I know they removed all the horses that were there
for Rehab yesterday.

nijinski
02-11-2012, 02:04 PM
This happened two miles west of where we live, and we heard the explosion followed by lots of sirens. My son-in-law works for a local TV station, and he got called out to cover the story. Apparently, the precaution of covering the horse's shoes was not taken, and while the chamber was being shut down the horse started kicking and a spark from the shoes striking metal set off the explosion. Very sad; this is at the old Farnsworth Farms TB site, but I understand the horse was an event horse, not a race horse.

Ocala Mike
I always thought they pulled the shoes . I'm shocked if they just cover them .
I just noticed you already mentioned Farnsworth too and yes this particular horse was an up an coming eventer.
Sadly the reports of the young women who died was here from Europe as well as the injured women.

BIG49010
02-12-2012, 09:34 PM
I always thought they pulled the shoes . I'm shocked if they just cover them .
I just noticed you already mentioned Farnsworth too and yes this particular horse was an up an coming eventer.
Sadly the reports of the young women who died was here from Europe as well as the injured women.

Most horses have aluminum shoes which won't spark, they also usually wet the horses down before they go in to prevent static electricity. There are many safety items that appear to have been overlooked here.

bushwick
02-12-2012, 09:38 PM
The shoes are aluminum but the toe grabs are steel maybe that was the spark?