PDA

View Full Version : Liberals want all of your money any way they can get it.

DJofSD
02-09-2012, 08:26 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/opinion/the-zuckerberg-tax.html?_r=1

WHEN Facebook goes public later this year, Mark Zuckerberg plans to exercise stock options worth $5 billion of the $28 billion that his ownership stake will be worth. The $5 billion he will receive upon exercising those options will be treated as salary, and Mr. Zuckerberg will have a tax bill of more than $2 billion, quite possibly making him the largest taxpayer in history. He is expected to sell enough stock to pay his tax.

But how much income tax will Mr. Zuckerberg pay on the rest of his stock that he won’t immediately sell? He need not pay any. Instead, he can simply use his stock as collateral to borrow against his tremendous wealth and avoid all tax. That’s what Lawrence J. Ellison, the chief executive of Oracle, did. He reportedly borrowed more than a billion dollars against his Oracle shares and bought one of the most expensive yachts in the world.

The article finishes with:
The most profound effect of a mark-to-market tax would be to level the playing field between wage earners, on one hand, and founders and investors on the other. Superwealthy holders of publicly traded securities could no longer escape tax on their vast wealth.

Robert Goren
02-09-2012, 08:37 AM
If the Internet hadn't been created with tax money, Facebook wouldn't exist and Zuckerberg would have squat. And you would have no place to bitch about taxes that he is going pay.

DJofSD
02-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Internet created with tax money? Your eyes are a deep, deep shade of brown.

Robert Goren
02-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Internet created with tax money? Your eyes are a deep, deep shade of brown.How do you think it was created?

DJofSD
02-09-2012, 09:47 AM
We all know the history of DARPA.

Show me where the government paid for all of the infrastructure which makes up the internet.

But, as usual, the focus has shifted away for the topic. Typcial.

HUSKER55
02-09-2012, 09:47 AM
robert, you really don't know how this got started or are you trying to start something?

Tom
02-09-2012, 10:00 AM
I thought Al Gore started it.
Did he pay taxes on it?

HUSKER55
02-09-2012, 10:07 AM
good one tom :lol: :lol:

good ol al wouldn't cheat on his taxes would he?:D

Robert Goren
02-09-2012, 10:10 AM
We all know the history of DARPA.

Show me where the government paid for all of the infrastructure which makes up the internet.

But, as usual, the focus has shifted away for the topic. Typcial.They didn't pay for all of it, but certainly they paid for almost of it in the beginning. DARPA is as I am sure you know is a government program. I think we can safely say that if the government had not laid the seeds for the internet, it would not exist today. No private company was going to lay out that kind of cash for research and development. If you think so, please name them.

Robert Goren
02-09-2012, 10:14 AM
robert, you really don't know how this got started or are you trying to start something? I really know how the internet got it start. Do you? I will give you a clue; It didn't just appear out nowhere when you bought your first computer.

DJofSD
02-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Back then, any and every company paid for R & D.

Your fixation that all things good come from the government taints your world view. I guess your parents should thank the government for your existence.

HUSKER55
02-09-2012, 10:17 AM
it was a military project that got started during to cold war / sputnik era.

Do you remember?

Robert Goren
02-09-2012, 10:31 AM

Your fixation that all things good come from the government taints your world view. I guess your parents should thank the government for your existence. Some paid for some, most notably AT&T with Bell Labs which employed the likes of Edward Throp and John Kelly, Jr for a time. Like today a lot of basic research was done by universities with the aid of government grants. Private money for basic research is almost none existent today. Companies today take the results of that research and turn it a marketable product. Much like what has happened to the internet. Without DARPA, there would be no internet. Without Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and IBM etc, we wouldn't be able to access it.

Robert Goren
02-09-2012, 10:40 AM
it was a military project that got started during to cold war / sputnik era.

Do you remember? Since it was a top secret progam back then, I don't remember. But now that a lot of what they did is public knowledge, so I know what they did and how it was turned into what is now the internet.
PS The internet is only small part of what they did. You should read up on them sometime, fascinating stuff and at times somewhat scary stuff.

DJofSD
02-09-2012, 10:45 AM
DARPA, TCP/IP and a lot more comes from analysis of worse case scenerios in war time situations. The internet of today is a spin off, if you will, of those initial efforts.

Defense feeds private activity and vice versa.

Robert Goren
02-09-2012, 01:55 PM

Your fixation that all things good come from the government taints your world view. I guess your parents should thank the government for your existence.I have never said that, but I must certainly don't subscribe to the theory that nothing good evers comes the government which seems to prevail a lot around here.

Tom
02-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Nothing does.