PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Williams retires

PhantomOnTour
02-07-2012, 06:56 PM
What is your opinion of this man and his football career?
Surely one of the most peculiar characters of the last 25yrs... gained over 10,000 yds rushing in the NFL, won the Heisman and (i think) had the most rushing yards in NCAA Division 1 history at one time. Maybe it's Ron Dayne...i dunno. Williams also went AWOL a few times and smoked lots of weed. Nick Saban is the one who let him back into the mix at Miami.

Noting the above accomplishments (except for the weed), was he still a disappointment?
I thought he had the tools to be an all timer, but as it turned out, football just wasn't all that to him. He clearly was searching for something that football wasn't giving him. I felt sorry for him during his career sometimes. You could just see how uncomfortable and unfulfilled he was with the money and the spotlight and the fame.
So, what do you think about Ricky Williams?

slew101
02-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Good running back, but never worked hard enough to be taken seriously as a 25-carry back in the NFL.

That said, I'm surprised he's retiring. Did a nice job for the Ravens this season and could easily do that role for another season. He must have enough cash saved up.

Valuist
02-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Had a real strong three year run from 2001-2003. Almost 4500 yards and 34 TDs in that time.

pandy
02-07-2012, 11:54 PM
He can still play and his speed is surprisingly good for his age. I guess he doesn't have the desire because he is still a better running back than many starters in the NFL. I love the way he runs the ball, he lowers his head and knocks guys over.

Zaf
02-08-2012, 12:18 AM
Wow gained over 10000 yards in NFL , imagine if guy was dedicated and not baked. Could of been one of the best of all time.

Z

Striker
02-08-2012, 12:41 AM
What is your opinion of this man and his football career?
Surely one of the most peculiar characters of the last 25yrs... gained over 10,000 yds rushing in the NFL, won the Heisman and (i think) had the most rushing yards in NCAA Division 1 history at one time. Maybe it's Ron Dayne...i dunno. Williams also went AWOL a few times and smoked lots of weed. Nick Saban is the one who let him back into the mix at Miami.

Noting the above accomplishments (except for the weed), was he still a disappointment?
I thought he had the tools to be an all timer, but as it turned out, football just wasn't all that to him. He clearly was searching for something that football wasn't giving him. I felt sorry for him during his career sometimes. You could just see how uncomfortable and unfulfilled he was with the money and the spotlight and the fame.
So, what do you think about Ricky Williams?
Ricky held the all time NCAA rushing record until Ron Dayne broke it. Don't know why he is retiring now cause he had 1 year left on his contract. I used to think he retired twice before but I forgot he played in the Canadian Football League in 2006 I believe.

Valuist
02-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Ricky held the all time NCAA rushing record until Ron Dayne broke it. Don't know why he is retiring now cause he had 1 year left on his contract. I used to think he retired twice before but I forgot he played in the Canadian Football League in 2006 I believe.

He retired to spend more time on his favorite hobby: smoking pot.

I think he's 34, which is ancient for a NFL running back but the years away saved some wear and tear on his legs. He actually had over 1000 yards as recently as 2009.

rastajenk
02-08-2012, 02:29 PM
I admire his independence and lack of ambition.

Marshall Bennett
02-08-2012, 03:28 PM
He retired to spend more time on his favorite hobby: smoking pot.

He actually had over 1000 yards as recently as 2009.
Since the NFL went from a 14 to a 16 game schedule, 1000 yards isn't considered that great anymore. Running backs can average well below 4 yards per carry and achieve that.
Williams is still considered by many as an underachiever. Folks thought when he came out of Texas that he'd break all sorts of NFL records. Whether his lifestyle interfered or whatever, it never happened. Though he had a few brilliant years, he was no Earl Campbell. 26 others have rushed for 10,000 yards, and I would imagine that any of them were as good as Williams.

Valuist
02-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Since the NFL went from a 14 to a 16 game schedule, 1000 yards isn't considered that great anymore. Running backs can average well below 4 yards per carry and achieve that.
Williams is still considered by many as an underachiever. Folks thought when he came out of Texas that he'd break all sorts of NFL records. Whether his lifestyle interfered or whatever, it never happened. Though he had a few brilliant years, he was no Earl Campbell. 26 others have rushed for 10,000 yards, and I would imagine that any of them were as good as Williams.

Agreed 1000 yards is no great accomplishment, but it is an accomplishment for an RB over 30 years old. I agree he's still an underachiever because many had hoped he'd have had 6-7 years like he put together from 2001-2003.

Earl Campbell......not too many like him. I think more than a handful of tacklers came away seeing stars after trying to tackle him.

pktruckdriver
02-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Buy that man some weed !!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

patrick

Robert Goren
02-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Who cares?

Jay Trotter
02-08-2012, 05:26 PM
6,593 College Rushing Yards in 49 games (1,064 carries)
526 CFL Rushing yards in 11 games (109 carries)
10,009 NFL Rushing Yards in 147 games (2,431 carries)

Prior to the beginning of the 2007 CFL season the "Ricky Williams" rule was introduced preventing players under suspension with the NFL from playing in the CFL.

bigmack
02-08-2012, 05:46 PM
I admire his independence and lack of ambition.
Agreed 2x

Robert Fischer
02-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Right now I am at home doing a tribute to what we will remember Ricky for best...

THE HEISMAN POSE :cool:

cj's dad
02-08-2012, 07:48 PM
As you all know, I watched every game the Ravens played this year and RW did very well. Hoping he has a nice retirement.

ElKabong
02-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Though he had a few brilliant years, he was no Earl Campbell. 26 others have rushed for 10,000 yards, and I would imagine that any of them were as good as Williams.

Ricky is a lot smarter than people give him credit for. When he arrived at UT, Big Earl was his mentor. At the time Earl was 43yo, walking with a cane.

After Ricky left UT, Earl, still close to Ricky, was now eating from a straw for weeks after he had 3 vertebrae removed.

2 yrs after that Earl had to ride around Memorial Stadium in a golf cart on gameday.

Ricky quit when Wannstedt ran him in the dirt. One 3 yr stretch Ricky had 100+ more carries than any other RB in the NFL.....Knowing that, seeing what it did to Earl, he was smart to take time off. Weed or not.

It must be nice, retiring on your own terms and not giving a shit what other people think - people who never had to endure pain a NFL RB has to endure. Good luck, Ricky & thanks for the great memories as a Longhorn.

Dahoss2002
02-09-2012, 04:04 AM
Ricky is a lot smarter than people give him credit for. When he arrived at UT, Big Earl was his mentor. At the time Earl was 43yo, walking with a cane.

After Ricky left UT, Earl, still close to Ricky, was now eating from a straw for weeks after he had 3 vertebrae removed.

2 yrs after that Earl had to ride around Memorial Stadium in a golf cart on gameday.

Ricky quit when Wannstedt ran him in the dirt. One 3 yr stretch Ricky had 100+ more carries than any other RB in the NFL.....Knowing that, seeing what it did to Earl, he was smart to take time off. Weed or not.

It must be nice, retiring on your own terms and not giving a shit what other people think - people who never had to endure pain a NFL RB has to endure. Good luck, Ricky & thanks for the great memories as a Longhorn.
Agreed! I saw Earl in Shreveport a few years back. Other than facial, no resemblance of the imposing figure he once was. Amazing what the NFL can take out of a man.