PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here use ShadowProtect?

PaceAdvantage
02-07-2012, 02:20 AM
http://www.storagecraft.com/shadow_protect_desktop.php

I'm looking for a new backup solution, and I am hearing so many bad things about Acronis 2012, which I was going to go with...

ShadowProtect, while pricier, doesn't seem to have any bad reviews...plus it doesn't seem bloated like Acronis...it seems nimble and focused on only one thing...creating image backups quickly and reliably...

Anyone have any advice on this one?

PaceAdvantage
02-11-2012, 03:20 PM
I guess the answer to my topic question is a resounding NO... :lol:

dlgreg
02-11-2012, 06:39 PM
PA Mike,
I don't use ShadowProtect.
I use Casper 7.0 which allows me to clone my C: drive to another hard drive in my system. The way I have it set-up I use 2 additional hard drives to copy my entire C: drive, alternating copies each day to the drives. In the event of a problem with my C: drive (which is several Intel SSD's in a raid array) I can just boot the computer with one of the hard drives with the Casper 7.0 copy by entering the system BIOS and changing the boot drive.
Casper has worked great; I have used it for several years going back to Casper 5.0 and upgraded the software as new versions were released.
Don't know if this is a solution you'd be looking for (adding a hard drive or 2), but thought I'd share my experience since no one responded to your query.
dlgreg

PaceAdvantage
02-11-2012, 07:14 PM
I have used Casper in the past and found it to be a good product for what it does.

Looking more along the lines of drive imaging now.

I actually want to add a SSD to my system...trying to decide between three 256gb models...

Crucial M4
Corsair Performance Pro
Samsung 830

Was leaning towards the Samsung, but after doing more research, I'm thinking the Corsair might be the way to go...

Was going to go Intel for the reliability, but it seems the three I've listed are nearly as reliable as Intel and offer much better value...

Red Knave
02-11-2012, 07:46 PM
I have used Casper in the past and found it to be a good product for what it does.

You can create a drive image with Casper even if the new drive is not the same size ... unless you meant something else.

I actually want to add a SSD to my system...trying to decide between three 256gb models...

Crucial M4
Corsair Performance Pro
Samsung 830

Was leaning towards the Samsung, but after doing more research, I'm thinking the Corsair might be the way to go...

I just installed a 128 GB Samsung 830 in my aging notebook (using Casper :) ) and it rocks. I use HSH and some operations create some heavy disk I/O and the new drive sped them up by a factor of 5. I've been using it for 2 months with no issues.
It may be that the Corsair is a bit quicker.
Today, cheap bugger that I am, I would just go for the best deal. ;)

PaceAdvantage
02-11-2012, 07:49 PM
On NewEgg, the Corsair and Samsung are the same exact price, $399.

Rwahi1
02-11-2012, 10:10 PM
PA Mike

I am a member at Wilderssecurity forum and they speck very highly of 'ShadowProtect' backup program. You can read all about at;
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=299408&highlight=ShadowProtect

Raman

dlgreg
02-12-2012, 08:36 AM

Crucial M4
Corsair Performance Pro
Samsung 830

Was going to go Intel for the reliability, but it seems the three I've listed are nearly as reliable as Intel and offer much better value...

I've only had experience with Intel and OCZ (and most recently a Samsung in their Series 7 Slate Tablet). Of those 2 the Intel has been far more reliable. One of the OCZ's was one of their "Revo" drives which connected via the PCIe interface. That was a fiasco as it would not work with all motherboards and the return policy (where I bought it) would not allow for a refund.
I recently built a computer and used one of the Intel SSD's (256 GB;Sata 6.0) as the C: drive. It is actually faster than the machine that has 2 older Intel SSD's setup in a raid 0 array.
Of the 3 you list I would go for the most reliable one (probably the Samsung).
There have been some recent reviews on SSD's on TomsHardware and AnadTech.
dlgreg

Jackal
02-15-2012, 07:54 AM
I don't try to clone my HD. I just back up folders where I have valuable date stored. I use the acer backup manager that came with my laptop. It will back up other computers in my home network. It's free and simple to use. (it has to be simple if I can use it) Most newer computers have a back up system installed from the factory. Now I need to find a reliable external HD.

hcap
06-22-2014, 08:35 AM

Crucial M4
Corsair Performance Pro
Samsung 830

Was going to go Intel for the reliability, but it seems the three I've listed are nearly as reliable as Intel and offer much better value...Found Casper 8 the newest version---now only $50.

Do you still recommend it or have you found something better? I am going to be backing up to an external USB 3 drive.
Sounds pretty good.

DJofSD
06-22-2014, 09:39 AM
http://www.storagecraft.com/shadow_protect_desktop.php

I'm looking for a new backup solution, and I am hearing so many bad things about Acronis 2012, which I was going to go with...

ShadowProtect, while pricier, doesn't seem to have any bad reviews...plus it doesn't seem bloated like Acronis...it seems nimble and focused on only one thing...creating image backups quickly and reliably...

Anyone have any advice on this one?
Mike,

Is there a particular reason why you are looking for a new solution? Is there a specific problem you are attempting to solve?

OverlayHunter
06-22-2014, 02:27 PM
hcap,

I'm not very tech savvy but I've used Casper for years and it's worked well. Also, tech support has been super, I've even gotten responses on weekends which I wouldn't expect from a small company. I have nothing but good things to say.

DJofSD
06-22-2014, 02:31 PM
hcap,

I'm not very tech savvy but I've used Casper for years and it's worked well. Also, tech support has been super, I've even gotten responses on weekends which I wouldn't expect from a small company. I have nothing but good things to say.
OH, not to single you out, however, I need to ask: when you say it's worked well, what exactly do you mean?

Have you ever had to recover a PC/server/IT center starting with bare metal using their services?

hcap
06-22-2014, 03:16 PM
hcap,

I'm not very tech savvy but I've used Casper for years and it's worked well. Also, tech support has been super, I've even gotten responses on weekends which I wouldn't expect from a small company. I have nothing but good things to say.I have had one computer crash where the operating system (win 7) got corrupted. Re-installed everything. Still on warranty with Dell. Luckily I had most of my data on my older computer. Do not want to go tru' that again.

Thanks.

PaceAdvantage
06-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Hey, cool, old thread revival...I never followed up here...

Went with an OCZ 512gb drive that died on me this past winter. Lesson learned. Bought a Samsung replacement.

I also went with Shadowprotect - it's been a life saver...

hcap
06-23-2014, 05:49 AM
Any opinions?

I am going with Caasper 8 and two external usb 3 hard drives (not ssd)
One to do full backups every week or so, and one to do
multiple disk image backups for selectable point-in-time recovery,
maybe every day.

Any idea appox. how long each operation will take?
Relatively new machine, 160 gb on machines' internal HD

Is it possible to plug each external drive into a different usb 3 port,
and will Casper know which port to go to depending on which
backup plan I wish to use?

And since I know my machine is not bootable in bios from a usb drive,
I understand I must create a bootable CD with Casper. And then
I can restore from the usb drives. Is this correct? Thanks.

dlgreg
06-23-2014, 07:12 AM
Any opinions?

Is it possible to plug each external drive into a different usb 3 port,
and will Casper know which port to go to depending on which
backup plan I wish to use?

And since I know my machine is not bootable in bios from a usb drive,
I understand I must create a bootable CD with Casper. And then
I can restore from the usb drives. Is this correct? Thanks.

In Casper you can define your back-up to a specific drive and create and save the backup plan (you can name it whatever you want) and set the back-up frequency and time.

I have used Casper to create both bootable CD's and USB drives to use to boot the machine for recovery purposes. I've used this on both desktops (Windows XP and 7 pro), laptop (Win 7 home) and several Tablets with Win 7, 8 and 8.1).

You may want to download the doc file for the latest Casper and review it to see if it will do what you have in mind.
I've been using it since version 5 and have gotten the updates to the current version (8).

dlgreg

hcap
06-23-2014, 07:25 AM
In Casper you can define your back-up to a specific drive and create and save the backup plan (you can name it whatever you want) and set the back-up frequency and time.

I have used Casper to create both bootable CD's and USB drives to use to boot the machine for recovery purposes. I've used this on both desktops (Windows XP and 7 pro), laptop (Win 7 home) and several Tablets with Win 7, 8 and 8.1).

You may want to download the doc file for the latest Casper and review it to see if it will do what you have in mind.
I've been using it since version 5 and have gotten the updates to the current version (8).

dlgregThanks. I have the full set of instructions, but have not found yet how one can create a bootable usb drive if your machines bios does not let you boot from usb

Seems simple enough to do it from a bootable CD.

dlgreg
06-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Boot From a USB Drive Even if your BIOS Won’t Let You

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16822/boot-from-a-usb-drive-even-if-your-bios-wont-let-you/

hcap
06-23-2014, 10:12 AM
I will study it. Thank you

tupper
06-24-2014, 12:32 AM
Boot From a USB Drive Even if your BIOS Won’t Let You

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16822/boot-from-a-usb-drive-even-if-your-bios-wont-let-you/Good suggestion. The Plop boot manager is very useful. I usually install it so that it appears as a selection in the boot menu, and I carry a copy with me, in case I want to boot a live USB distro with a BIOS that doesn't allow USB boot.

However, in this instance, it might be easier to just boot a rescue live CD, rather than to boot a Plop CD and then boot a USB drive. I am not sure exactly what the goal is in this thread, but many free live CDs come with decent backup software, and live CDs are very easy to make and boot.

Red Knave
06-25-2014, 08:56 AM
I'll echo dlgreg and say that I have done most of what he has with no issues. I've used Casper for a long time.

Also, as Tupper says, it may be less of a nuisance to boot from a rescue CD than using the boot manager. If you wind up running PLoP from a CD because your boot disk is toast then you may as well have booted from a Casper rescue CD in the first place.

hcap
06-26-2014, 07:31 AM
Just updated my Bios from Dell. The new update allows USB booting.
So theoretically using Casper, I can boot from one of my USB drives

Everything(after some hiccups) seems to be working. After creating a disc image for the first time--approx 1 1/4 hours, new updated images only take minutes on my external USB 3 drives. Cool.

Anyone know how to explore backups for viewing/copying individual files?