PDA

View Full Version : Racing Channel Tote board

BillW
12-18-2003, 04:19 PM
They have just posted today that they will be limiting their tote board to subscribers only. See their page for details.

Bill

highnote
12-18-2003, 04:33 PM
I read their page. I understand why they are switching to a subscriber based system, bit I think they could be missing a bigger opportunity. It's called advertising. If they are getting so much traffic that it's a strain on their system, then they should upgrade their system and sell advertising space. Can you imagine if the Washington Post switched to a subscription based service. They'd have no traffic at all. Instead they sell ad space on their pages. Just because someone opens a betting account with Racing Channel does not mean they will bet with Racing Channel. However, if there was a constantly changing stream of banner ads on the page those ads might get noticed.

I wish my website had the problem of too much traffic. If it did, I wouldn't switch to subscriber based. I'd switch to advertising based.

andicap
12-18-2003, 04:52 PM
There's still Brisnet, right?

BillW
12-18-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by andicap
There's still Brisnet, right?

Andi,

I'm a brisbet acct. holder, but like the TRC tote better. It updates in almost real time in relation viewing TVG. (i.e. when they say "OFF" the race has just went off.)

The changes are more accurate and timely on TRC (I haven't checked Bris in a while, they may have improved).

Anyway, can't complain (too much :D), it was free.

Bill

BillW
12-18-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by swetyejohn
I read their page. I understand why they are switching to a subscriber based system, bit I think they could be missing a bigger opportunity.

I agree John. By their actions today, they have completely shut me out as they do not offer accounts to Tx. residents. They also only allow users of I.E and Netscape browsers access to their wagering site. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Bill

trying2win
12-19-2003, 06:07 PM
--With the soon-to-be elimination of the freebies at the Racing Channel site, there are other free alternatives for some us thrifty horseplayers (okay, if you don't like euphemisms, some of us are cheapskates!...so what...who doesn't like to save a dollar here or a dollar there on overhead expenses?)

--I'm not a member at the www.ebetusa.com site anymore, but am still able to access the result archives at this website for free. These results go back farther than the free, last 30 days at the DRF OR EQUIBASE websites. I can still access their scratches for the thoroughbreds and harness races they cover. This is free also.

--The only drawback with this website for looking up archived results, is that they don't cover as many racetracks as other betting sites. Also, they don't always cover some tracks for the full racing week. But, it's better than nothing when you want to some research on past results.

--I suspect you'll see more and more of this elimination of free racing information over the next while. Correct me if I'm wrong, but seems to me I just read somewhere that even the HORSEPLAYER INTERACTIVE betting site, will soon be offering their webtote to members only. Currently, a lot of Magna's racetracks are offering free live video. Will this company soon be eliminating this type of freebie soon as well. Any predictions?

Trying2win

VetScratch
12-19-2003, 08:22 PM
As the totes and streaming a/v get restricted, it will make a lot of subscribers happy because there will be fewer overload problems.

trying2win
12-19-2003, 10:42 PM
Vet Scratch,

You raised a very good point. The issue of live video overload. I was watching a free live video from Pompano Park earlier this week. Even with a cable modem and a fairly powerful computer, all I got was a bunch of still pictures moving very slowly. Regular
customers of any betting site with live videos moving that slowly, would have a good reason to complain.

Thanks,

Trying2win

andicap
12-19-2003, 11:44 PM
While I'm disappointed, I don't see anything wrong with providing a good service to paying customers only. Why should the paying customers subsidize freeloaders like me? If you want companies like The Racing Channel to stay in business, you'll support them. If it doesn't matter that much to you (or you find capable alternatives), you wont.

BillW
12-20-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by andicap
While I'm disappointed, I don't see anything wrong with providing a good service to paying customers only. Why should the paying customers subsidize freeloaders like me? If you want companies like The Racing Channel to stay in business, you'll support them. If it doesn't matter that much to you (or you find capable alternatives), you wont.

Andi,

The funny thing is, most of us can't. They only offer accounts to a limited number of states (you have to call, for some reason they don't have that information on their website). All the online account wagering outfits have very limited (and differing) coverage.

Bill

trying2win
12-20-2003, 02:28 AM
--With the Racing Channel soon to be shutting down the freebies to the non-customers, I'm wondering where that will leave some of the offshore racebooks?

--What I mean is, do the offshore racebooks basically mooch most of their racing information for free from the websites of places like The Racing Channel, Equibase, or individual racetracks?
...or do they pay a fee for some of the info? I'd be curious to know.

Thanks,

Trying2win

trackchampion
12-20-2003, 02:49 AM
The problem I see with this is that every pari-mutuel-based wagering platform offers results, odds and video. Racingchannel.com is virtually losing what made them stand out, and losing the traffic to which they showcased their flagship product: onelickbetting.com.

How many of you here would have heard about onelick without visiting racingchannel.com?

I can see the bandwidth issue but is it worth sacrificing the massive exposure?

trackchampion
12-20-2003, 02:54 AM
--What I mean is, do the offshore racebooks basically mooch most of their racing information for free from the websites of places like The Racing Channel, Equibase, or individual racetracks?

It's not just books, trying2win, a lot of software developers and professionals rip it off as well. I mean it's one of the best out there and it's free; and yes, we can all see the problem with that.

But as I said is it worth getting rid of the exposure? Can onelick hold up on its own without it?

BillW
12-20-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by trackchampion

But as I said is it worth getting rid of the exposure? Can onelick hold up on its own without it?

Someone put up a poll a few weeks ago regarding which on-line service everyone used. Oneclick had zero respondents out of 47 answers. Either that means they need more exposure or the exposure they were getting wasn't working. In any case it appears that they are pretty small, if our little sample has any meaning.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8920&highlight=poll

Bill