PDA

View Full Version : Bill Parcells not Elected to Hall of Fame

badcompany
02-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Not only was it a disgrace, but a slap in the face insult to a guy whose accomplishments in football are virtually second to none.

Besides his championships with the Giants, he turned around every team he ever coached.

The Patriots were a joke when he got there and were on the verge of leaving the state. While Bellicheck, Brady and Co, certainly deserve a lot of the credit, it was Parcells who made that franchise into something respectable. He also recommended Bellicheck for the Job.

Oh yeah, both the coaches in yesterday's game were former Parcells assistants.

LottaKash
02-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Not only was it a disgrace, but a slap in the face insult to a guy whose accomplishments in football are virtually second to none.

Besides his championships with the Giants, he turned around every team he ever coached.

The Patriots were a joke when he got there and were on the verge of leaving the state. While Bellicheck, Brady and Co, certainly deserve a lot of the credit, it was Parcells who made that franchise into something respectable. He also recommended Bellicheck for the Job.

Oh yeah, both the coaches in yesterday's game were former Parcells assistants.

I agree BCO, most wholeheartedly, at that...

Parcells should be an "Automatic", imo...

best,

Steve 'StatMan'
02-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Am I the only person who, when they annouced the list of new Football Hall Of Fame members, after each name, went "Who?" The only name I recognized was Chris Doleman.

PaceAdvantage
02-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Curtis Martin? You went "who?" with Curtis Martin?

cj
02-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Same for Dermontti Dawson, Willie Roaf, and Cortez Kennedy.

Surely, everyone remembers the Kennedy commercial where they mention him finding your house if you don't watch MNF.

Tim Brown not making it is ridiculous.

JustRalph
02-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Curtis Martin? You went "who?" with Curtis Martin?

Yep I did........

Dahoss9698
02-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Not to be Captain Obvious but it feels like the way Parcells treated the media when he was coaching is keeping him out. Many members of the media have a vote and Parcells always had a rocky at best relationship with the media.

Not saying it's right, but might be a reason why.

cj
02-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Not to be Captain Obvious but it feels like the way Parcells treated the media when he was coaching is keeping him out. Many members of the media have a vote and Parcells always had a rocky at best relationship with the media.

Not saying it's right, but might be a reason why.

Yes, he is generally considered an ass, even by a lot of those that played for him. Some do love him, not saying they don't, but he wasn't the most liked coach ever for sure.

rastajenk
02-06-2012, 03:48 PM
If you've ever seen or heard a whole post-game interview, you'd have to side with Parcells against the football media. Sports journalism is not well represented by the deep end of the gene pool. That some would use their personal relationship with him to not vote for him makes it even more frustrating.

Robert Goren
02-06-2012, 04:34 PM

Oh yeah, both the coaches in yesterday's game were former Parcells assistants. That not exactly the way I remember Belicheck getting the Pats job.
Parcells will get in sooner or later. I am sure even he eligible yet. As for some of the players who got in, Willie Roaf is was shoo in. He was best person at his position for many years. As a run a blocker there may have never been anyone better. If you have never heard of him, that says more about your knowledge of the NFL than it does about his deserving a place in the HOF.

Valuist
02-08-2012, 02:36 PM
That not exactly the way I remember Belicheck getting the Pats job.
Parcells will get in sooner or later. I am sure even he eligible yet. As for some of the players who got in, Willie Roaf is was shoo in. He was best person at his position for many years. As a run a blocker there may have never been anyone better. If you have never heard of him, that says more about your knowledge of the NFL than it does about his deserving a place in the HOF.

Wasn't Belichek originally named coach of the Jets, for a day or two? Then immediately went to New England? I seem to remember a bizarre turn of events involving two teams.

badcompany
02-08-2012, 02:48 PM
That not exactly the way I remember Belicheck getting the Pats job.

I heard the owner of the Pats, on a radio show here in NYC, say that Parcells told him Bellicheck would be a good fit.

Also, Parcells is a horse owner who has a home in Saratoga. That alone should be enough.;)

slew101
02-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Parcells talked Kraft into spending extra money in 1996 to hire Belichick as an assistant after he was fired in Cleveland. That's when he praised Belichick to Kraft, not when Parcells was with the Jets.

I doubt Parcells was having conversations with Kraft when he coaching the Jets. They hated each other. After Belichick quit the Jets after 1 day, Kraft wanted to hire him, but the Jets insisted on compensation, like when Parcells left NE. Parcells was still in charge of the Jets at that point, and the commissioner eventually settled the beef, with the Jets getting a first-rounder.

Obviously, Kraft somehow got word to Belichick that he would hire him if he left the Jets.

Parcells could have held up Belichick at that point, but he didn't. The Jets hired Al Groh, and Belichick went to NE and was saved by Mo Lewis' hit on Bledsoe.

I heard the owner of the Pats, on a radio show here in NYC, say that Parcells told him Bellicheck would be a good fit.

Also, Parcells is a horse owner who has a home in Saratoga. That alone should be enough.;)

ElKabong
02-08-2012, 11:26 PM
I wasn't that impressed with his tenure in Dallas, almost no one is. His comment "I don't coach penalties" was a cop out extraordinaire. The OL was the most undisciplined unit ever here w/ the False Starts, etc....and the Parcels excuse was "I don't coach penalties"

Sounds like something the guy currently in the white house would say

"you are what you are" he used to say....Bill, you aren't in the HOF

rastajenk
02-09-2012, 07:52 AM
I think the Cris Carter snub is indefensible, too.

Valuist
02-09-2012, 08:19 AM
If Parcells still isn't in, how is Coughlin going to get in?

cj
02-09-2012, 08:38 AM
If Parcells still isn't in, how is Coughlin going to get in?

People like Coughlin.

highnote
02-09-2012, 09:28 AM
People like Coughlin.

Politics play a role. There are something like 44 people in a room who decide who gets in to the HOF. Some may not like the coach because of what he said to them during an interview.

My mother used to say, "Be nice to everyone. Someday you may need their vote."

Plato said, "Be kind. Everyone is struggling."

Those are good pieces of advice aspiring Hall of Famers might want to use.

Other factors are just random... some of the people in the room who get a vote may be past their prime and may not be as sharp as they used to be.

melman
02-09-2012, 09:39 AM
The Hall of Fame should change it's name. To Hall of the Very Good. IMO in all the pro sports it's become a joke. I liked and respected Ron Santo as a player but Hall of Fame?? Come on man no way. That's Brooks Robinson, Mike Schmidt, A-Rod when he retires. Same at shortstop. Derek Jeter for sure but Barry Larkin??. It's not about the very best it's about very good and what market you played in and how you handled the media.

Steve 'StatMan'
02-09-2012, 11:39 AM
I don't watch football on TV - I don't have a working TV. Don't see commercials either. Gave up following all the games when I gave up office football pools (and many other things) to focus on horse racing. Was hoping for football's sake that I'm just out of it, if guys I don't remember by name end up in the hall of fame.

slew101
02-09-2012, 12:05 PM
It's not like Parcells isn't going to get in, just not on his first year.

He obviously is getting in at some point in the next few years.

badcompany
02-09-2012, 03:36 PM
My mother used to say, "Be nice to everyone. Someday you may need their vote."

Plato said, "Be kind. Everyone is struggling."

While your mom and Plato certainly have valid points, entry into the Hall of Fame should be decided strictly on performance, not on whether some twerp sportswriter wants to get revenge because he was on the wrong end of too many Atomic Wedgies in High School.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm38/nestea00/untitled.jpg