PDA

View Full Version : A strange e-mail from Comcast

turninforhome10
02-06-2012, 02:12 AM
Gota an e-mail from Comcast. Had my bill as doubled and when I clicked the link to go to the Customer site it took me to a Russian website. The message source is what is strange
Received: from [24.60.150.51] (helo=User)
by elasmtp-kukur.atl.sa.earthlink.net with esmtpa (Exim 4.67)
(envelope-from <online.communications@comcast.com>)
id 1Rteth-0000pm-PZ; Sat, 04 Feb 2012 07:39:17 -0500

Is an envelope something to be worried about.
When I checked my account for real it was normal.
Very strange. Any thoughts?

bigmack
02-06-2012, 02:18 AM
It's spam, don't wary about it.

tupper
02-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Not good.

Don't click on links in emails -- without at least investigating the domain first (with javascript and flash disabled in your browser).

You might want to do a thorough virus scan. Can't help you with that (I use Linux).

The best outcome is that you have confirmed your email address as "working" to a bunch of Russian crackers/spammers. Hopefully, nothing else malicious happened.

FiveWide
02-07-2012, 08:12 AM
The golden rule is never ever ever click links in emails! Always navigate to the site yourself, not thru links.

-Five

PaceAdvantage
02-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Always hover over the link before you click it...it should appear in your status bar at the bottom of your browser (you may have to turn your status bar on if you're using IE).

Make sure what you see in the status bar matches what you see in the actual link in the email, domain-wise. That will give you a major clue as to whether or not the link is legitimate before you click on it...

Often times, what you see appear in the status bar as you hover is completely different from what you see in the email...and that's not good...

turninforhome10
02-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys. Got paranoid as I learned my lesson about looking for free versions of Luck. Got stupid and downloaded a player from what looked to be reliable site. Well moral of the story there is no reliable site when it comes to stealing copyrighted material. What freaked me out was that I searched the site for HBO and after getting the player got the e-mail. Stupid, stupid. Cleaned with Hijack This, AVG and Malwarebytes just to be safe. When a site is already stealing material why would I think that they had any scruples when dealing with downloads. Ordered HBO just for the show.

rowboat
02-07-2012, 09:27 PM
YOU ARE BETTER OF GOING TO DRUG STORE AND BUY A VANIILA VISA GIFT CARED.YOU MIGHT BE LEFT WITH A FEW BUCKS USE FOR GAS.IF THEY DONT TAKE THAT THEY ARE OUT OF COUNTRY