PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba laptop connecting to internet?

ljb
12-18-2003, 11:04 AM
Just purchased a Toshiba laptop. Want to connect using my current desktop setup. I am using a modem that connects to ethernet card. Very scant directions in manual. Toshiba has Windows xp os. I thought i could just plug in modem and it would work. But computer keeps telling me to attach phone line to modem. What is my next step ?
Thanks for the help.

lsbets
12-18-2003, 11:46 AM
I kind of sort of had the same problem you do. I just bought a desktop for my wife since I am taking our laptop to Iraq, and wanted to transfer files from the laptop to the desktop. The solution for me was to get an ethernet hub and connect both computers to the hub, then connect to the internet through the hub. Office Max had a Microsoft wired base station on sale for $20, so it did not cost much. It was somewhat easy to set up, but did require a call to their helpline. Now, both computers connect to the internet through the same connection, and I can share all of the files on both. I have the ultimate setup for home wagering now, as I run HSH and Bris Bet on one machine, and run the video from BrisBet on the second machine. All I need in my computer room now is a big screen with TVG, a bar, and a bathroom, and I would never have to leave!

lsbets
12-18-2003, 11:48 AM
I owe a thanks to Just Ralph and some of the people on the HSH board for steering me in the right direction. I never would have come up with that onmy own, I consider myself pretty anti-tech, although my wife says I am a geek at heart.

ljb
12-18-2003, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the reply. I called my provider and with his help got connected.
Thanks again, and best wishes for a safe and successful stay in Iraq.

DJofSD
12-19-2003, 01:31 AM
You want to use a null modem cable.

Each PC thinks it's talking to a modem of it's own.

Essentially pin 2 on one end connects to pin 3 on the other and vice versa. A few other pins pass straight through or are tied to another pin to ground (low value or zero).

DJofSD