PDA

View Full Version : peculiar claim

Cholly
02-02-2012, 07:43 AM
A peculiar claim was made in the 6th race at AQ yesterday. An out-of-town trainer (Juan Carlos Guerrero) claimed for $30K a Contessa firster who went off at odds of 24-1. It’s not often you see a filly with those odds being claimed.

The horse in question, Sunday At Nipper’s, had nothing but dead slow works showing. She evidenced only a bit of early speed before fading to fifth, beaten 7 lengths. She’s out of Indian Charlie, but since as a 2YO she sold at auction for only $25K (1/3rd of Indian Charlie’s quoted stud fee), she must not have shown well.

The Owner who lost her was McConnell Racing Stable. The chart states that Guerrero claimed her for himself, but that may not necessarily be the reality. I guess somebody knew something, but it still looks odd.

The Bit
02-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Is he still an out of town trainer? I saw he had a starter at Aqu yesterday that had been working routinely there.

forced89
02-02-2012, 10:34 AM
I remember Guerrero claiming a firster early last year for $12,500 or thereabouts. I can't remember the horses name, Bold something. He did well with it as I recall.

ten2oneormore
02-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Must be tough to go from winning everything to 0 fer 2012.

Linny
02-02-2012, 12:58 PM
In the 4th tomorrow (Fri) the 1a is Hill Crossing, first off the claim. Owned by Juan Carlos Guerrero and trained by Edward Barker.

Rise Over Run
02-02-2012, 01:09 PM
In the 4th tomorrow (Fri) the 1a is Hill Crossing, first off the claim. Owned by Juan Carlos Guerrero and trained by Edward Barker.

This horse was just claimed by JCG last Sunday, but had already been entered in this race by Barker for the former owner. Hill Crossing will be an early scratch tomorrow.

jotb
02-02-2012, 06:19 PM
I remember Guerrero claiming a firster early last year for $12,500 or thereabouts. I can't remember the horses name, Bold something. He did well with it as I recall.

It was Bold Attitude..He win twice with him from 16 starts..Earned 60k but that was over 13 months..

grant miller
02-02-2012, 08:26 PM
with the purses at n.y.r.a. ,its rent a horse time. tou cant lose money claiming unless the horse is lame(27,000$) purse for 10,000$ claimer!

Linny
02-02-2012, 11:03 PM
This horse was just claimed by JCG last Sunday, but had already been entered in this race by Barker for the former owner. Hill Crossing will be an early scratch tomorrow.

Thank you. I hadn't looked at PP's just entries. It is odd that they have the new owner (JCG) but the old trainer listed.

Because of the new purse structure there are been alot of horses running back on short rest and many claims of horses entered back. If the new connections want can they honor the entry and run back as long as the horse is eligible, as Hill Crossing is?

postpicker
02-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Thank you. I hadn't looked at PP's just entries. It is odd that they have the new owner (JCG) but the old trainer listed.

Because of the new purse structure there are been alot of horses running back on short rest and many claims of horses entered back. If the new connections want can they honor the entry and run back as long as the horse is eligible, as Hill Crossing is?

no, once an entry is made, there is not supposed to be a change of trainer, unless there were unusual circumstances as we saw last year with Dutrow in the state of Kentucky. So once Hill Crossing was claimed on sunday, he is an automatic scratch for today's race. King and Crusader ran for a tag on friday and was entrered for the Winkfield on Monday. Dutrow made the entry prior to race being run, so if someone had claimed King and Crusader from that spot on friday, he would have been an automatic scratch from the Winkfield.

onefast99
02-04-2012, 04:25 PM
A peculiar claim was made in the 6th race at AQ yesterday. An out-of-town trainer (Juan Carlos Guerrero) claimed for $30K a Contessa firster who went off at odds of 24-1. It’s not often you see a filly with those odds being claimed.

The horse in question, Sunday At Nipper’s, had nothing but dead slow works showing. She evidenced only a bit of early speed before fading to fifth, beaten 7 lengths. She’s out of Indian Charlie, but since as a 2YO she sold at auction for only $25K (1/3rd of Indian Charlie’s quoted stud fee), she must not have shown well.

The Owner who lost her was McConnell Racing Stable. The chart states that Guerrero claimed her for himself, but that may not necessarily be the reality. I guess somebody knew something, but it still looks odd.
I'm sure that horse he claimed will move up the ladder faster than any of the Super Mario Brothers ever did!

Cholly
03-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Sunday At Nipper's is entered tomorrow back in the same class (MC 30K). The race he came out of looks somewhat key: Place and show horses won next out and winner ran 2nd in starter allowance/optional Claimer ($65K)...maybe we'll see why Guerrero paid $30,000 for a 24-1 shot.

Linny
03-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Speaking of JCG and claiming anyone have opinions on his horse in the 9th today at AQU? Fiddlers Diva claimed for $7500 in January out of 2nd place finish. Moves up to NW1x(NYB) to run third, then returns at same class to win. Today she's in for $15k, fresh off the NYB allowance win over My Girl Gracie, who seems like a useful filly.
On one hand, they have "won out" on the horse who at this time of year might not be likely to win a NW2x(NY) for a while. On the other hand, it would appear that this filly might (if healthy) be a solid horse in higher level claiming in NY or even allowance races in PA. (JCG is still banned there but his outfit is being maintained there by Guadeloupe Guerrero.) PA runs open allowances with the "restricted" condition allowing statebred winners in.

Robert Fischer
03-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Speaking of JCG and claiming anyone have opinions on his horse in the 9th today at AQU? Fiddlers Diva claimed for $7500 in January out of 2nd place finish. Moves up to NW1x(NYB) to run third, then returns at same class to win. Today she's in for $15k, fresh off the NYB allowance win over My Girl Gracie, who seems like a useful filly.
On one hand, they have "won out" on the horse who at this time of year might not be likely to win a NW2x(NY) for a while. On the other hand, it would appear that this filly might (if healthy) be a solid horse in higher level claiming in NY or even allowance races in PA. (JCG is still banned there but his outfit is being maintained there by Guadeloupe Guerrero.) PA runs open allowances with the "restricted" condition allowing statebred winners in.

well meant.

the 3 is also a contender.

Cholly
03-14-2012, 10:46 PM

And here in this race there was another odd claim. Of the nine horses entered, the mare with the 8th highest odds (25.5-1) was the only one claimed.

pandy
03-15-2012, 11:21 AM
The Daily Racing Form has a service called Breeze Figs which puts a speed rating on the works at the major 2yo in training sales. Sunday At Nipper's sold for $25k at Keeneland but in 2011, she worked a par 62 Breeze Fig at the Fasig Tiptop sale and was scratched from the sale. Horses are often scratched because the owners changed their mind about selling. Someone connected to Guerrero may have been interested in this Kentucky Bred filly at the sale and saw an opportunity to buy her now after she's been broken, gate trained, etc.

FrankieFigs
03-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Sunday at Nipper's finished 7th of 8, beaten 10 lengths. Went off as the fav.

Cholly
03-15-2012, 09:43 PM
Sunday at Nipper's finished 7th of 8, beaten 10 lengths. Went off as the fav.

Yeah, didn't run like a fav; ran more like...a 24-1 shot.

pandy
03-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Whatever juice this guy might have been using at Parx, there's no way he's using it here. I would imagine that the NYRA is keeping a very close eye on him.

tzipi
03-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Wins like a monster at one track, gets trounced at another. Big red flag.

Producer
03-16-2012, 06:21 PM
NYRA announced today its going to be lowering the purses for the bottom level claiming races and also raising the lowest level from 7,500 to 10,000 at Aqueduct and from 10,000 to 12,500 at Belmont.

Guerrero has never had a problem claiming a horse that on paper looked like there was no reason to claim the horse. Its just now they aren't moving up like they were at philly.

igiveupregistering
03-16-2012, 06:34 PM
NYRA announced today its going to be lowering the purses for the bottom level claiming races and also raising the lowest level from 7,500 to 10,000 at Aqueduct and from 10,000 to 12,500 at Belmont.

Guerrero has never had a problem claiming a horse that on paper looked like there was no reason to claim the horse. Its just now they aren't moving up like they were at philly.

Can't win in NY...big surprise :jump:

Cholly
07-13-2012, 08:22 PM
I started the thread about Sunday at Nipper’s, so I can't let her death go unmarked. Her brief career came to an end in Belmont’s 5th race today—ironically, Friday the 13th.

After being claimed out of the race where she debuted at 24-1, she had a moment in the sun, blowing the field away and winning a maiden claiming race by nine lengths. I didn’t see the race, it was sort of cheap, but I hope she was strutting like a queen in what would be her only visit to a winner’s circle She finished off the board in her subsequent start and then died on the track today in her 5th lifetime race.

I always feel pain and remorse a when I see a horse die on the track. But after reading this week of questions about the care given horses by certain Asmussen family members—well, at least Sunday at Nipper’s didn’t die in a kill pen. She went down doing the thing she was bred to do,the thing she was trained to do…and, we can only hope, the thing she loved to do.

R.I.P. Sunday at Nipper’s

Linny
07-13-2012, 10:45 PM
I picked her today and saw the results before I saw the race. The abbreviated results showed her "last" which was somewhat surprising. I just watched the replays of the races I missed (while attending a wake and tending to my wounded jumper) and saw that "last" wasn't the whole story.

RIP Sunday at Nipper's.

thaskalos
07-14-2012, 02:22 AM
I started the thread about Sunday at Nipper’s, so I can't let her death go unmarked. Her brief career came to an end in Belmont’s 5th race today—ironically, Friday the 13th.

After being claimed out of the race where she debuted at 24-1, she had a moment in the sun, blowing the field away and winning a maiden claiming race by nine lengths. I didn’t see the race, it was sort of cheap, but I hope she was strutting like a queen in what would be her only visit to a winner’s circle She finished off the board in her subsequent start and then died on the track today in her 5th lifetime race.

I always feel pain and remorse a when I see a horse die on the track. But after reading this week of questions about the care given horses by certain Asmussen family members—well, at least Sunday at Nipper’s didn’t die in a kill pen. She went down doing the thing she was bred to do,the thing she was trained to do…and, we can only hope, the thing she loved to do.

R.I.P. Sunday at Nipper’s

Nice. :ThmbUp:

nijinski
07-14-2012, 02:55 AM
Oh my , how sad . RIP :(

Robert Goren
07-14-2012, 05:05 AM
This kind of thing is happening all to often in horse racing these days. :(

Wagergirl
07-14-2012, 11:23 AM
So very sad. What I find saddening as well is that unless it's some big-name-all-over-the-national-news horse there is hardly ever even a write up in any of the pages that we here at work can view.

This athletes deserve to be recognized for there lives.

imo