PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Ambition

Pell Mell
01-31-2012, 11:00 PM
In sports most athletes have an ambition or goal or something that many consider the pinnacle.
In football, they all want to win a Superbowl, in baseball it's the world series, in hockey it's the cup, etc.

In racing everybody wants to win the KY Derby. Most jocks dream of just getting a mount let alone win it. I think it's rather comical that 2 jocks that get some bad knocks around here, not saying everybody knocks them but some do, namely Calvin and KD have won 6 of the last 14 derbys. Three apiece, and most guys dream of getting one. I think that's kind of odd that those 2 are considered by some to be bums.

Dahoss9698
01-31-2012, 11:02 PM
Oy vey.

Overlay
01-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Horseplayers tend to ask, "What have you done for me lately?"

Vengeance of Rain
02-02-2012, 11:01 PM
The best selling artists of 2011 include Adele and Taylor Swift.

Does it mean they're the best? Of course not.

The same is true of these two bums. I mean jocks.

cj
02-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Desormeaux can be really good...when he feels like it.

Borel gave two great rides in races where chanceless horses set suicidal paces and set it up for a guy that rides just like he does. He pulled it off, but it hardly makes him a good jockey. It was more fortunate circumstances, but hey, he won. I'm not going to call for a parade though.

PaceAdvantage
02-03-2012, 01:44 AM
The Derby winner oftentimes is not the best horse...just like the Derby winning jockey oftentimes isn't the best jockey.

Brogan
02-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Barry Bonds set a lot of records. How well regarded is he?

FenceBored
02-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Barry Bonds set a lot of records. How well regarded is he?

How is that relevant? Bonds isn't well regarded because he was using steroids to break those records. If he'd done it clean his accomplishments would be more well regarded.

Tom
02-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Comparing drug-fueled performances seems appropriate.....just saying.

Robert Fischer
02-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Some of the best individual rides in derby history.

Super Saver was the most impressive.

What he did for Street Sense as a horse and sire is still cashing in.

And Mine That Bird was the longest shot on the board. Not bad for 3rd best derby win.