PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Roger Way. Friend, Horseplayer, and Horseplayer Advocate.

andymays
01-31-2012, 02:58 PM
My good friend Roger Way passed away today from Cancer. He was a fighter till the end and I’ll do my best to tell people who never had the chance to know him what type of guy he was.

I spoke with Roger for the last time a couple of weeks ago and we had a great talk. I told him that he lived life on his own terms and helped a lot of people along the way and that I was very proud to call him my friend and partner as a Horseplayer Advocate. If you were ever in a fight for something important you always wanted Roger on your side. He wanted to preserve Horse Racing for future generations because he had loved the game as much as anyone I’ve ever met. He always believed that right would win out over wrong when it came to Horse Racing and because of him we had our first industry meeting at Santa Anita last year. We participated in several industry meetings after that. In just about every meeting he would get pissed off at someone and bang his fist on the table trying to get them to just understand common sense. I am laughing just thinking about some of those meetings. The main team consisted of me, Jeff Platt, and Barry Meadow along with Roger. Roger also played a big role in getting the Players P5 put in and what a success that has become. He was very proud of the bet because it proved our point over and over again. We would laugh when we talked about the bet and how the TOC thought it would be a loser. Wow did we laugh when on closing day at Hollywood Park the bet broke all records for exotics handle in the first race of the day at any U.S. Track.

I’ve known Roger for about three years and during that time I learned quite a bit about him and his passion for life and his passion for Horse Racing. Roger was the west coast H.A.N.A. Representative. Our first battle together was against synthetic surfaces and as we moved into 2011 we pivoted toward SB1072 and the takeout raise. During the first few months of 2011 I would wake up at about 3:00 am and try to find news that favored our position and move it to the various message boards. Roger would also be up early and we would usually have our first phone call around 6:30 am to discuss our strategy. There were days during that time when we spoke ten times a day and at the end of those long days we would laugh about what we were doing and who we were fighting against. Roger and I were constantly working the phones and emails to advance our position. We always ended the day with a phone call and usually one of us said that we knew something would develop tomorrow and we would be there to take on all comers once again

While he was sick he had lots of people calling him and supporting him along with neighbors and friends who were with him till the end. He was one of those guys that even when he was sick was worried about everyone else and didn’t want us to feel badly for him. Just to show you how unselfish he was one day I got a call from a close friend of his who was handling his estate and the person tells me that Roger told him to make sure that he sent me $1000 to go to the track one day in his name and hoist a beer in his honor after he passed away. Can you imagine that? I intend to go one day in the near future along with a couple of his friends and hopefully one of the Tracks will name a race in his honor for the day. I know he’ll be there with us in spirit with a big smile on his face and a thumbs up.

One of Rogers good friends was Lester. They say that you learn about someones true character when they are under pressure and boy did Lester come through with flying colors. He was by his side till the end and never let him down. He was close friends with Roger for several year and visited him just about every day.

I will never forget my friend Roger Way and may he rest in peace. I have a feeling that when we meet up again in the hereafter we’ll find another worthy cause to fight for as a team once again.

Thanks,

Andy

DeanT
01-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Rest in peace. You were a kind soul.

Dean

Dave Schwartz
01-31-2012, 03:01 PM
I barely knew him but liked and respected him.

His passing creates a void, although many people would not know his name.

Thanks for the post, Andy.

Dave Schwartz

DJofSD
01-31-2012, 03:25 PM
OMG, andy, OMG.

johnhannibalsmith
01-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Terrible news Andy... I never met Roger but have the utmost respect for his passion about the sport. You and Lester were great friends to him when friends count and both of you have my condolonces.

Charli125
01-31-2012, 03:35 PM
It's a shame to hear this, and I greatly appreciate all of his hard work on our behalf in CA. Condolences to his family, and thanks Andy for the heartfelt writing.

Jeff P
01-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Rest in peace my friend. I will always remember you as a fighter who selflessly volunteered what little free time you had to fight the good fight.

-jp

Horseplayersbet.com
01-31-2012, 03:41 PM
He was truly passionate about fixing and growing the game. He devoted a tremendous amount of time, and if changes do happen for the good of the game, his work (volunteer work I might add) will most likely be one of the reasons for the change, in fact, his constant contributions to forums and commentary on articles may have caused some change already.

He'll be very difficult to replace, maybe impossible, and will be surely missed.

thaskalos
01-31-2012, 03:57 PM
I am deeply saddened by these terrible news.

We form bonds with people on these pages, eventhough we never actually meet...and Roger was definitely an easy person to like.

My prayers go with him...and my deepest condolences to his family and friends.

nijinski
01-31-2012, 04:05 PM
You are fortunate to have known him and it sounds like you will carry his and your passion for the sport for a long long time.May he RIP.

Indulto
01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
To me, Roger Way was the soul and inspiration of horseplayer advocacy. I had the good fortune of speaking with him by phone several times, and came away from each discussion with amazement at his encyclopedic knowledge of racing – in particular, California racing law – and his eternal optimism that supporters of a level playing field would eventually prevail.

Goodbye, rwwupl. Thanks for all you did for those who will be playing the game long after those of us who knew you have also departed.

FenceBored
01-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Rest in Peace, Roger. You will be sorely missed.

My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

jelly
01-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Thank you Roger Way for fighting for the horseplayer and the game.

Rest in peace.

JustRalph
01-31-2012, 05:19 PM
RIP

http://paceadvantage.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3216567

Caroline
01-31-2012, 05:47 PM
So sad. Rest in peace Roger.

Robert Goren
01-31-2012, 05:52 PM
RIP, rwwulp

NJ Stinks
01-31-2012, 06:55 PM
Andy, thanks for heartfelt tribute to Roger. I did not know him and I can see it was my loss.

RIP, Roger.

PaceAdvantage
01-31-2012, 07:22 PM
My deepest condolences go out to Andy, Roger's family, and all those lucky enough to know Roger beyond the pages of this message board.

It can never be denied that Roger fought the good fight for horseplayers everywhere with passion and ferocity. You could see that clearly even if you knew him only by his posts here on this board. We as horseplayers owe a debt of gratitude to the work Roger was dedicated to until the very end. And we owe a debt of gratitude to Andy for the work he will no doubt continue on in the memory of Roger Way.

I think horseplayers everywhere should hoist a beer in Roger's honor...

Tom
01-31-2012, 09:32 PM
My prayers to Roger and all those he left behind.

His last post was for you, Andy....he was proud of what you do!

Robert Goren
01-31-2012, 09:58 PM
In memory of Roger, I have changed my signature back to a quote of his that I used in the past.

Steve 'StatMan'
01-31-2012, 10:02 PM
Sorry on the sad loss of Roger Way. My condolences to Andy and to all that knew him. I did enjoy his post. Thank you Roger, for all you've tried to do for the horseplayer, and to all who carry on in those efforts.

wisconsin
01-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Sad news. R.I.P.

BMeadow
02-01-2012, 02:27 AM
I won't forget Roger Way.

At the meetings with executives that Andy referred to, usually Andy, Jeff Platt and I tried to pretend we were reasonable people, open to different points of view and open to compromise. Not Roger. He would listen for awhile, then pound his fist on the desk like an out-of-control crazy uncle; then, he'd clearly and rationally--but loudly--explain how wrong these executives were, and what solutions might work.

Roger was older and frailer than the rest of us, but when he felt strongly about something, the lion inside him would roar once again. He was impossible to ignore, and impossible to dislike.

Roger knew the racing laws inside and out, but his passion was horseplayers. He felt they deserved recognition, dignity, and respect. I am just glad that I told him what a great job he did for all horseplayers, and how much I respected him, while he was alive.

R.I.P. Roger.

statepierback
02-01-2012, 07:39 AM
R.I.P. His request for a toast at the track after his departure reminds me of my final conversation I had with my father before his passing. I asked if he had any final requests and he shocked me by saying without pause "Take some of my ashes and leave them at Santa Anita." Kind of shock me to be honest. In any event as they say " Death and taxes."

andymays
02-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Racing loses fan, player advocate in Roger Way

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2012/02/01/racing-loses-fan-player-advocate-in-roger-way.aspx

Excerpt:

Way, himself an avid horseplayer, accepted the position with HANA after retiring from a career in the electronics industry.

“I have always felt that race fans lacked proper representation and could add important input to make the entire game better, but there was no way to make that happen without an organization that was recognized by the industry,” Way said when he took on the role with HANA. “We now have that chance with HANA. Though I recognize there will always be different opinions among horseplayers because it is our nature to be somewhat contrary to the status quo, we must work for the common good, not just for ourselves."

Platt said California racing had lost a “walking encyclopedia,” of knowledge about the state’s racing history.

DJofSD
02-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Andy, thanks for the update.

No better day for fulfilling his wish than Big 'Cap day.

Fingal
02-01-2012, 11:48 AM
I barely knew him but liked and respected him.

His passing creates a void, although many people would not know his name.

Thanks for the post, Andy.

Dave Schwartz

Regardless the focus of one's life, the true mark of that person is how they are spoke of afterwards.

And for them it is being able to know they fought the good fight. For a man without passion is like a ship without a rudder.

andymays
02-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Santa Anita dedicated the 6th Race tomorrow in Rogers name. They are also doing something next Thursday when we will be there. Hat's off to Santa Anita for the respect they're showing Roger.

proximity
02-01-2012, 08:31 PM
andy, i am sorry for your loss. thank you to both you and mr way for fighting to makes this game better. rest in peace mr way.

andymays
02-01-2012, 11:55 PM
andy, i am sorry for your loss. thank you to both you and mr way for fighting to makes this game better. rest in peace mr way.

He was one of a kind and if there was any lesson to be learned from him is that if you believe in something keep fighting for it.

I have been overwhelmed with good wishes for Roger and the causes he fought for.

Thanks!

Grits
02-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Andy, don't be overwhelmed, though one can understand. All these years its been easy to see the friendship the two of you had. The like mindedness, the care and love of the game.

I'm sorry that you lost your friend, Roger. And to his family, prayers, for them.

andymays
02-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Andy, don't be overwhelmed, though one can understand. All these years its been easy to see the friendship the two of you had. The like mindedness, the care and love of the game.

I'm sorry that you lost your friend, Roger. And to his family, prayers, for them.

Thank you Grits. Like most of Rogers close friends it was dealing with him on a daily basis that made him one of a kind. I don't know how many times he lectured me on thinking before I write or speak. I haven't always taken his advice to my detriment but he certainly moved me up a few lengths. LOL

Sometimes I would call him just to get him going. Early last year one of the pinheads in California said something about shared sacrifice. Implying that Horseplayers should keep quiet and pay the extra tax. If I wanted to get him going I would mention that. Every time I did it would be worth about 75 minutes on my cell. I started 2011 with about 6,000 rollover minutes and ended up with about 10 by the end of the year.

One of the laughable moments was when I mentioned "round robins". You have to be 50 or older to remember what they were. As it turns out we were both Bookies for short periods of time. As usual we laughed about all the people who won that were on our doorsteps an hour after they won. But when they lost they were nowhere to be found. LOL

Roger Stein called a couple of nights ago and told me he was going to name a horse Roger Way. He also told me he was going to name another one Shared Sacrifice.

FenceBored
02-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Roger Stein eulogized Roger Way on his Saturday (Feb. 4) show (http://www.rogerstein.com/archives/120204.wma) starting at about the 7 minute mark.

General archive link: http://www.rogerstein.com/radio/archive2.asp