PDA

View Full Version : Stop the Soda Pop

bigmack
01-30-2012, 04:23 PM
I know people that drink 6-8 cans/day. Nuts is what they are.

Shocking Soda Fact #1: Soda fattens up your organs
Shocking Soda Fact #2: Soda contains flame retardants
Shocking Soda Fact #3: Drinking soda makes you a lab rat

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/3-shocking-soda-facts

johnhannibalsmith
01-30-2012, 04:51 PM
I know people that drink 6-8 cans/day...

Poseurs. I've done that by noon and had two pots of coffee.

JustRalph
01-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Sitting here drinking a coke ....."........

bigmack
01-30-2012, 05:06 PM
I find if start drinking soda, I want more soda. One woman stocks her fridge with diet Sunkist / Dr. P / Ginger Ale. During a movie I'll chug a DDP & DSunkist between crack hits.

Ain't diet worse for ya than regoolar?

johnhannibalsmith
01-30-2012, 05:08 PM
...Ain't diet worse for ya than regoolar?

They used to tell me that the aspertame in diet would rot holes in your brain. I stopped drinking it so I could rot holes in my teeth.

Mike at A+
01-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Soda is for sissies. Drink beer like a real man! OK, Jack and Coke is the exception.

bigmack
01-30-2012, 05:44 PM
OK, Jack and Coke is the exception.
Have ya tried Jack's Tennessee Honey? Yumsville.

Mike at A+
01-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Have ya tried Jack's Tennessee Honey? Yumsville.
Actually yes I did. Last time I bought Jack it came with a free mini bottle of the honey stuff. Excellent after dinner sippin' whiskey.

Robert Goren
01-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Diet Soda Pop with artificial sweetner they now use make me sick to my stomach. My doctor says that is a fair common side effect. Too bad because Pepsi Max doesn't taste too bad.

Dave Schwartz
01-30-2012, 05:56 PM
I was a soda addict for years. Dinner out would include 6-8 sodas! I switched to diet about 10 years ago.

Then two years ago I stopped having it at home, and since we started dieting seriously back in September, I kicked sodas completely. I actually had one back in December and boy was it good.

Dave

TJDave
01-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Never ordered a diet anything.

Drank a lite beer...

Once.

bigmack
01-30-2012, 06:46 PM
'The Old Man' worked for Pepsi. He'd bring home cases of PepProducts. My sibs & I were a huge hit around the Chicagoland neighborhood wearing out Mtn Dew hats, hopped up on Orange Crush, Pep's & others. We'd have so much sitting in the garage I'd mix-em and try and sell 'em to neighbor kids when they'd stop by "Geraldo's Fix-A-Bike Center" located in the aforementioned garage.

boxcar
01-30-2012, 07:17 PM
I find if start drinking soda, I want more soda. One woman stocks her fridge with diet Sunkist / Dr. P / Ginger Ale. During a movie I'll chug a DDP & DSunkist between crack hits.

Since you're so certain that if Rom gets the Nom he'll beat BO, you had better contact Michele O' Ma Belle toot suite to see if she can get an anti-carbonated drinks mandate either passed into law normally or through and EO before her hubby hits the road.

Boxcar

bigmack
01-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Since you're so certain that if Rom gets the Nom he'll beat BO, you had better contact Michele O' Ma Belle toot suite to see if she can get an anti-carbonated drinks mandate either passed into law normally or through and EO before her hubby hits the road.
A chicken in every pot and a Coke in every hand.

What a glorious 8 we're about to live.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxatajp6Ne1qz82woo1_400.jpg

Overlay
01-30-2012, 07:32 PM
The most successful weight-loss effort that I ever achieved was fueled by lemon-flavored Pepsi Light (which I don't think is even available any more). (My brand of choice these days is Big K (the Kroger house brand), which features a wide variety of diet soft drinks at relatively lower prices.)

boxcar
01-30-2012, 07:47 PM
A chicken in every pot and a Coke in every hand.

What a glorious 8 we're about to live.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxatajp6Ne1qz82woo1_400.jpg

Great. That would mean we'd be cursed with two coke-heads in a row. How glorious was it with the first one? :lol: :lol:

Boxcar

canleakid
01-30-2012, 07:50 PM
been soda free since March 26,2009, Dr. told me I was borderline diabetic and to drop 20 lbs. so I went COLD TURKEY!!!!!!!! ;) and all is well :cool:

lsbets
01-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Watched supersize me with the kids. They won't go anywhere near fast food or soda now. :ThmbUp:

NJ Stinks
01-30-2012, 10:20 PM
The only soda I drink is root beer. At home it's diet A&W Root Beer because I think I'm doing myself a favor weight-wise and it still tastes like root beer.

I could be wrong about the doing myself a favor part but it still tastes like real root beer. :ThmbUp:

johnhannibalsmith
01-30-2012, 10:22 PM
The only soda I drink is root beer...

Root Beer is a nice palette cleanser after eight or nine Mountain Dew. Lack of caffeine the only downside.

NJ Stinks
01-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Now you made me google "palate cleanser".

Traditional French Palate Cleansers

The Basics of Refreshing Your Palate Between Courses

http://frenchfood.about.com/od/explorefrenchfood/a/palatecleanser.htm

johnhannibalsmith
01-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Now you made me google "palate cleanser". ..

Okay fine, "palate" not "palette", you highbrow SOB... :lol:

bigmack
01-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Root Beer is a nice palette cleanser after eight or nine Mountain Dew. Lack of caffeine the only downside.
I smell an intervention.

http://www.presentationsunplugged.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/coffee.jpg

Tom
01-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Q8H5263jCGg

johnhannibalsmith
01-30-2012, 11:02 PM
I smell an intervention.

No point. I'm fairly immune. Just addicted.

Actor
01-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Shocking Soda Fact #4: Soda contributes to the formation of kidney stones.

johnhannibalsmith
01-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Now I keep getting ads for "FREE SODA COUPONS" on the top banner... :lol: ... bring back them oriental gals!!!!!

ASIAN, ORIENTAL, BABE,

(is that how it works?)

bigmack
01-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Now I keep getting ads for "FREE SODA COUPONS" on the top banner... :lol: ... bring back them oriental gals!!!!!
ASIAN, ORIENTAL, BABE,
(is that how it works?)
We've been through this. The accepted nomenclature is Asian.

You're acting very 'undudelike', dude.

The 'old' me would tear into a series of stories regarding the far east. (Wild bunch o' gals don't ya know) The 'new' me bids you good day sir. :cool:

johnhannibalsmith
01-30-2012, 11:45 PM

Didn't matter anyway. Refreshed and got Obama on one side. Local men in my area at the top. I knew I shouldn't have referenced the Pickers yesterday.

Striker
01-31-2012, 12:05 AM
Anyone ever had pop made with cane sugar? When I was in the Dominican Republic I had their version of Diet Coke and it was called Coca-Cola Light, and it was obviously made with their cane sugar. It was easily the best tasting pop I have ever had. Their beer, Presidente, is dynamite too.

dav4463
01-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Dr.Pepper and Pepsi Throwback are available with pure cane sugar.

I just read the article about soda and then linked to a diet article.

If you eat nothing but raw nuts, fruits, vegetables, eggs, fish, chicken, beef and sweet potatoes it says you will lose weight and keep it off.

Also, you can only drink water.

However, is life worth much when you can't enjoy a burger or mexican fast food occasionally or some sweet tea or some chocolate cake, etc., etc.?

PaceAdvantage
01-31-2012, 12:25 AM
However, is life worth much when you can't enjoy a burger or mexican fast food occasionally or some sweet tea or some chocolate cake, etc., etc.?Indeed it is...and this comes from someone who does enjoy a burger and Mexican fast food...but I can easily envision my life without those things and it being as good as ever...

TJDave
01-31-2012, 12:29 AM
Anyone ever had pop made with cane sugar?

Mexican Coke is made with cane sugar.

bigmack
01-31-2012, 12:39 AM
Mexican Coke is made with cane sugar.
Ding.

The surge of popularity of Mexican Coca-Cola in the U.S. doesn’t make the corporation happy, partly because of territorial rights, but more important, because cane sugar is a more expensive ingredient in this country than HFCS, thanks to tariffs and farm subsidies.

“The problem with high fructose corn syrup is that it doesn’t taste as sweet as sucrose. (Ain't it the truth)
http://www.chron.com/life/food/article/Is-Mexican-Coca-Cola-the-real-classic-1601081.php

How many times have ya found yourself saying that line?

Sucrose done 'got it' on high fructose corn syrup. I hear that stuff's bad for ya. High fructose c....

Lefty
01-31-2012, 01:08 AM
Why can't people drink and eat what they want without people trying to tell em what to do? I've been drinking soda pop since I was 2. I drank a lot more in the last 24 yrs since I quit drinking beer. I buy 12 3 liter bottles every week, plus what I drink at the racebook. It's the only vice I have left and I'm not giving it up.
I'll be 75 in April.

BlueShoe
01-31-2012, 09:36 AM
I hope not, since regular sugar loaded soda was dumped many years ago in favor of diet. The jury seems to still be out as to the bad effects of diet. Do know this; am very fond of diet soda and drink way too much of the stuff. The bad part is that drinking it makes for a rough night, restless sleep and making trips to the head. Going on the diet soda wagon makes for a more restful night sleep wise. Should stick to the light colored caffeine free sodas like diet 7 Up, but have developed a liking for the stuff with a bit more wallop taste wise like Pepsi Max and Coke Zero. Like so many things in life, we have a liking for things that really are not good for us, but unless it gets out of control and becomes an addiction, hardly think that a liking for soda, regular or diet, is a cause for major concern.

lsbets
01-31-2012, 10:22 AM
However, is life worth much when you can't enjoy a burger or mexican fast food occasionally or some sweet tea or some chocolate cake, etc., etc.?

I eat pretty much whatever I want, just no junk. Burgers are my big weakness, but I don't go to fast food places. After dinner every night we have dessert. The key is staying away from junk that imitates food and eating a reasonable portion.

ElKabong
01-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Why can't people drink and eat what they want without people trying to tell em what to do? I've been drinking soda pop since I was 2. I drank a lot more in the last 24 yrs since I quit drinking beer. I buy 12 3 liter bottles every week, plus what I drink at the racebook. It's the only vice I have left and I'm not giving it up.
I'll be 75 in April.

I down 6-8 diet dr peppers every day, have done so for yrs....no kidney stones or stuff like that

sandpit
01-31-2012, 09:31 PM
The most successful weight-loss effort that I ever achieved was fueled by lemon-flavored Pepsi Light (which I don't think is even available any more). (My brand of choice these days is Big K (the Kroger house brand), which features a wide variety of diet soft drinks at relatively lower prices.)

That lemon Pepsi was some horrid-tasting stuff.

My wife was in the hospital several years ago, and while we were there, we got to talking to one of the nurses, whose son was a mortician (I'm not making this up). Anyway, he said that he could always tell when one of the deceased drank diet drinks long term because the artificial sweeteners had a sort of calcifying effect on human organs.

I never really cared for them, but this was a pretty compelling argument to stay away from that stuff. I'll stick with water.

Actor
01-31-2012, 10:00 PM
... this was a pretty compelling argument to stay away from that stuff. I'll stick with water.Haven't you heard? The water's polluted! :bang: :lol: :bang: :lol:

Bettowin
02-01-2012, 01:11 AM
That lemon Pepsi was some horrid-tasting stuff.

My wife was in the hospital several years ago, and while we were there, we got to talking to one of the nurses, whose son was a mortician (I'm not making this up). Anyway, he said that he could always tell when one of the deceased drank diet drinks long term because the artificial sweeteners had a sort of calcifying effect on human organs.

I never really cared for them, but this was a pretty compelling argument to stay away from that stuff. I'll stick with water.

Don't think I would be getting health advice from a mortician:) I didn't think morticians had a reason to look at the organs of dead people? Maybe Coroners but don't they close them up before sending to the mortician? I may be wrong but I thought morticians embalmed and got the dead ready for the funeral? What's the point of viewing the organs?

Robert Fischer
02-01-2012, 01:51 AM
Not worried about my diet, but the kids get good foods.

Not just the foods but everything is so carbohydrate and sugar based!! Most people are spiking their insulin every snack and meal so their body stops burning fat and they get ravenously hungry every couple hours!

duncan04
02-01-2012, 02:08 AM
Haven't you heard? The water's polluted! :bang: :lol: :bang: :lol:

That's why I have a water cooler at home. Get three 5 gallon jugs a month! :D

Lefty
02-01-2012, 03:00 AM
Actually bottled water could be worse than tap water. Tap water is tested to meet a municipalities standards, bottled water isn't. Pause for thought, eh what?

johnhannibalsmith
08-11-2012, 10:23 PM

You're acting very 'undudelike', dude.

The 'old' me would tear into a series of stories regarding the far east. (Wild bunch o' gals don't ya know) The 'new' me bids you good day sir. :cool:

For what it's worth, I finally saw the movie an hour or so ago. The line jumped off the screen at me when I heard it...

Wagergirl
08-12-2012, 05:08 PM

Barq's root beer has caffine.. best of both worlds. :-)

Valuist
08-12-2012, 05:24 PM
I don't drink soda. Pop? Sure. But no soda.

Zydeco
08-12-2012, 05:42 PM
I am from Ohio originally. We drank pop there. Now I live in Northern Virginia and have drank soda since I moved here. lol

Wagergirl
08-12-2012, 06:53 PM
well I call it soda pop...
my husband calls it coke. no matter what it is.. he calls it coke.

(

Lefty
08-12-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm from the Midwest and we generally called it a soft drink, that applied to cola and non cola alike.

Pace Cap'n
08-12-2012, 07:00 PM
I don't drink soda. Pop? Sure. But no soda.

How about sody pop?

bigmack
08-12-2012, 07:19 PM
For what it's worth, I finally saw the movie an hour or so ago. The line jumped off the screen at me when I heard it...
UnBeLieveAble. You just gots around to seein' Lebowski?

Gilberto Godfried had a line a while back. A friend of his described a remarkable story of his encounter with life from another planet. They land in his back yard, come out of their space ship. First thing they say - Ben Gazzara's a good actor, how come he can't get a series?

Word to the wise. Never reverse sketch the notepad work of Jackie Treehorn.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111217043161/thebiglebowski/images/7/7a/The-big-lebowski-reunion-animated-gifs-15.gif

johnhannibalsmith
08-12-2012, 07:34 PM
UnBeLieveAble. You just gots around to seein' Lebowski?

Kept waiting for it to show its face on one of Turner's useless channels, but now I can see why it never appears. Tough to overdub "frick" at a rate of 49.26 times per minute.

No Netflix or Hulus or red boxes or HBO or FLIX or whatever here... just happened to notice I had some loot from an Amazon gift card and they had a streaming movie service... so I figgered mainly because jazzy people here actually liked it that I'd give it a go... had figured that given its "way cool" status by the type of movie critics that also spent nine months making a pointy finger at the corner of their lip in deference to that goobericious Mini Me movie - it probably wasn't worth making great efforts to spend 116 minutes finding out 'bout it.

FantasticDan
11-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Another reason to stop the pop:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/soda-day-raises-man-risk-prostate-cancer-article-1.1208695

I suck down 2 or 3 cans of soda daily.. I try and get off the stuff, but my sweet tooth always comes a'callin.. :blush:

Lefty
11-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Yeah, yeah. Everything we do is a risk. I have drank a lot of soda pop since I was 2 yrs old. I am 75 now. I drink diet cola. 10-12 3 liter bottles a week.

What I resent is the govt trying to tell me what I can and can't have. But that's what the "tolerant" left does. They try and take over your life.
Bloomberg in Ny and The Mayor of Chicago and Michelle Obama.
A few yrs ago they got rid of the good tasting popcorn in movie theaters and they won't rest until they completely control us.
But they will have to pry my soda pop out of my cold dead hands. The Food Nazis are out there.

HuggingTheRail
11-29-2012, 10:52 PM
In February this year, I decided it was time to lose some weight - wanted to lose 20lbs.

Over the past 9.5 months, I have reduced consumption in stages to the point of:

stopped eating fast food (was eating it 4x per week on average)
stopped drinking pop (4 cans per day)
stopped drinking coffee (about 6 cups per weekday)
drastically cut my snacking - potato chips, cheezies, cookies
drastically cut my chocolate consumption
cut back on processed foods...

Have gone from 255.4lbs to 203lbs. I do not say that to collect kudos...I say it to tell you it can be done! What worked for me was to cut back in stages. With the coke, I went from an average of 4 a day to 2 day....then to 1/day...4/week...2/week to zero. If you try an approach and it doesn't work - don't give up....try another approach. You can do it!

JustRalph
11-29-2012, 11:01 PM
If this is true

I'm dead

johnhannibalsmith
11-29-2012, 11:13 PM
If this is true

I'm dead

I'll race you.

Lefty
11-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Years ago, I needed to lose a fast 40 pounds. I gave up alcohol and meat for a month. I just had vegetables and diet cola.
I lost the 40 pounds.

JustRalph
11-30-2012, 02:29 AM
I met a man and wife tonight who claim to have not eaten any carbs for 12 yrs.
when I questioned that they said outside of having a few bites of candy and Birthday cake over that period......almost none. They do eat "some veggies'" but those are basically the only carbs they intake.

He is a CEO of a large company. I have never seen two more healthy looking people in my life. While we were talking my appetizers arrived and I have never felt more like shit in my life. :lol:

He is 53 and I swear he looks not a day over 30. He is a Harvard Grad and told me he picked up the diet while at Harvard. I was very impressed.

Valuist
11-30-2012, 12:16 PM
I met a man and wife tonight who claim to have not eaten any carbs for 12 yrs.
when I questioned that they said outside of having a few bites of candy and Birthday cake over that period......almost none. They do eat "some veggies'" but those are basically the only carbs they intake.

He is a CEO of a large company. I have never seen two more healthy looking people in my life. While we were talking my appetizers arrived and I have never felt more like shit in my life. :lol:

He is 53 and I swear he looks not a day over 30. He is a Harvard Grad and told me he picked up the diet while at Harvard. I was very impressed.

While there's a lot of junkie carbohydrate foods, zero carbs is not safe. The body uses carbohyrdates as an energy source.

thaskalos
11-30-2012, 02:05 PM
While there's a lot of junkie carbohydrate foods, zero carbs is not safe. The body uses carbohyrdates as an energy source.

I'm sure they eat carbs...they just don't eat the same ones we do. :)