PDA

View Full Version : GOLF

Beachbabe
01-29-2012, 07:40 PM
You got to like Robert Rock, who beat Tiger today in Abu Dhabi. He golfs bare-headed....no hat; no visor...nothing advertising golf clubs or balls or corporate entities. The guy doesn't go nuts when he sinks a long putt nor changes expression when he blows one.

Speaking of golf. Kyle Stanley blew a 5-stroke lead with a triple bogey on the 72nd hole; then lost in what would be an unexpected playoff, to Snedecker, when he missed a 6 ft putt on the second playoff hole---the same length putt Snedecker sunk.

NJ Stinks
01-30-2012, 01:30 AM
I saw Kyle Stanley's loss. It was tough to watch let alone happen to you. Especially cruel is the fact that Stanley has never won on the tour.

DJofSD
01-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Tiger attributed part of his problems to distance control problems. He was hitting the ball farther than expected.

I wish I had that problem.

rastajenk
01-30-2012, 09:45 AM
I've had that problem; twice, in 40 years. I can remember both times like it was yesterday...it was beautiful...

ldiatone
01-30-2012, 05:10 PM
ya-know i used to play "cha-cha" golf. i hit the ball "left" then "right" then "left" then "right".......... :rolleyes:

DJofSD
01-30-2012, 05:17 PM
In these parts, that's called army golf: left, right, left, right.

HuggingTheRail
01-30-2012, 11:56 PM
In these parts, that's called army golf: left, right, left, right.

Heck, I only pack 11 clubs, a GPS, and a machete

andicap
01-31-2012, 01:55 PM
I like to watch the PGA Tour -- good drama, the roiling of human emotions that we saw on Sunday.

BUT, there's something with a system that rewards Bill Haas as the winner of the tour after only a single first-place finish (tho he lost two playoffs) and mediocre performances in the Slams: 12, 23, 42, 57. Classic example of a good, but not great golfer (7 top 10 finishes) who is consistent enough to hang around and then win the big one.

Shouldn't the champion be someone who was more dominant during the year rather than a player who won a single tournament?

Yes, I recognize it was a strange year. I believe no one copped more than 2 tournaments (????) so NO ONE dominated. And the top golfers all kind of choked at the end when they needed to step up.

But it seems the main reason Haas was able to win after only a OK year was the PGA's desire for drama. Keeping it close so that even a mediocre golfer can take the FedEx Cup supposedly builds more suspense and thus ratings.

Still, it was a very anti-climatic finish to an exciting FedEx Cup. Disappointing.

DJofSD
01-31-2012, 02:09 PM
FexEx the year before was good.

Take a look at the World Golf Rankings then drill down on some of the top players to then look at their accomplishments. Kind of uneven, IMO.

Ever heard of the BCS <bg>?

Bettowin
02-01-2012, 12:59 AM
Stanley's loss was brutal because he hit a great drive, laid up perfectly and then hit his third shot into the par 5 behind the hole only to have it spin back and barely make the water. Then plays it safe and misses the winner while Snedeker hit the same approach shot within 5 feet in regulation when it shouldn't have mattered and then again in the playoff to tie the hole.

We haven't seen the last of Stanley and I'll bet he hits that approach shot 100 times again and none of them would spin back into the water.

$600K+ is a nice consolation but not a win. Damn, wish I could screw something up and still walk a way with that much $$:)