PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney "the one Mighty and Strong"

TJDave
01-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Mitt and the white horse prophecy:

"like his father, grandfather and great-grandfathers before him, Mitt Romney was groomed for a prominent position in the church, which he manifested first as a missionary, then as a bishop, and then as a stake president, becoming the highest-ranking Mormon leader in Boston — the equivalent of a cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church."

"Called a “militant millennial movement” by renowned Mormon historian David L. Bigler, Mormonism’s founding theology was based upon a literal takeover of the U.S. government. In light of the theology and divine prophecies of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, unamended by the LDS hierarchy, it would seem that the office of the American presidency is the ultimate ecclesiastical position to which a Mormon leader might aspire. So it is not the LDS cosmology that is relevant to Romney’s candidacy, but whether devout 21stcentury Mormons like Romney believe that the American presidency is also a theological position."

"Since his first campaign in 2008, Romney has attempted to keep debate about his religion out of the political discourse. The issue is not whether there is a religious test for political office; the Constitution prohibits it. Instead, the question is whether, past all of the flip-flops on virtually every policy, he has an underlying religious conception of the presidency and the American government. At the recent GOP presidential debate in Florida, Romney professed that the Declaration of Independence is a theological document, not specific to the rebellious 13 colonies, but establishing a covenant “between God and man.” Which would suggest that Mitt Romney views the American presidency as a theological office.

More at: http://www.salon.com/2012/01/29/mitt_and_the_white_horse_prophecy/singleton/

PaceAdvantage
01-29-2012, 06:36 PM
It's amazing how only leading Republican candidates these days are somehow turned into a "Theocracy waiting to happen."

They said it with George W. Bush, and it never happened...not even close...

It's funny, Obama sat in that church for what? 25 years? And nobody ever comes on here and warns us how he is going to turn America into some sort of Theocracy...but with George Bush (who I can't EVER recall even once seeing pictured in church, unless he was at a funeral), we were one step away from some sort of hideous religious rule...and now with Mitt Romney, here we go again...

johnhannibalsmith
01-29-2012, 06:38 PM

Though technically a bay I think, I was hoping this would be about one of my favorite horse names: Teancum.

Robert Goren
01-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Just when you think things can't get any crazier, this kind of stuff rears its ugly head.

lamboguy
01-29-2012, 06:52 PM
instead of judging this candidate on his religious beliefs, i would handicap if any of these guys would be a good leader during war, which i think we are getting soon.

bigmack
01-29-2012, 07:01 PM
TJDave - I'd leave the Mormonbashing to the likes of Salon.com. Most indecorous of you.

Tom
01-29-2012, 08:11 PM

Don't spill your Kool Aid on that white horse.

lsbets
01-29-2012, 09:06 PM
I can't help but wonder what your reaction would have been Dave if when Lieberman ran for VP someone posted about Jews wanting to control the world.

bigmack
01-29-2012, 10:27 PM
I can't help but wonder what your reaction would have been Dave if when Lieberman ran for VP someone posted about Jews wanting to control the world.
Your pernt is just one of those strikes that is so pure the entire team walks away knowing it was a misguided attack.

Such nonsense will continue but it's a shame coming from TJ.

TJDave
01-30-2012, 01:39 PM
You guys are sticking to your guns on this?

We shouldn't be concerned with a candidates beliefs regardless of religion?

Okey-dokey

How about a Muslim? ;)

TJDave
01-30-2012, 01:58 PM

I would welcome the challenge to disprove the allegations. Answering questions about one's beliefs is perfectly acceptable.

Unless you have something to hide. :rolleyes:

boxcar
01-30-2012, 01:58 PM
You guys are sticking to your guns on this?

We shouldn't be concerned with a candidates beliefs regardless of religion?

Okey-dokey

How about a Muslim? ;)

Hmm...Muslims and Mormons. Might be a legitimate comparison here. Maybe Rom is the Mormon's version of the Muslim's 12th Imam. :D

Boxcar

lsbets
01-30-2012, 08:45 PM
I would welcome the challenge to disprove the allegations. Answering questions about one's beliefs is perfectly acceptable.

Unless you have something to hide. :rolleyes:

You haven't been asking questions, you've flat out said you would never vote for a Mormon regardless of their positions on the issues.

I think your rabbi would be disappointed in your attitude.

TJDave
01-30-2012, 09:16 PM
You haven't been asking questions, you've flat out said you would never vote for a Mormon regardless of their positions on the issues.

I think your rabbi would be disappointed in your attitude.

I've asked many questions and read much about the Latter Day Saints and it is precisely because of my investigations that I made the decision to NOT support a Mormon for president...especially this Mormon who I would expect someday to be the church's leader.

BTW, I don't have a rabbi. You must be thinking of the ultra-orthodox, cultish, hasidic Jews. I wouldn't vote for one of them, either.

lsbets
01-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Oy gevalt

boxcar
01-30-2012, 10:06 PM
I've asked many questions and read much about the Latter Day Saints and it is precisely because of my investigations that I made the decision to NOT support a Mormon for president...especially this Mormon who I would expect someday to be the church's leader.

BTW, I don't have a rabbi. You must be thinking of the ultra-orthodox, cultish, hasidic Jews. I wouldn't vote for one of them, either.

I'll volunteer and be your rabbi, if you want. :) But even Reformed Jews have rabbis, don't they?

Boxcar

riskman
01-30-2012, 11:33 PM
There are many reasons to vote for or against Romney without bringing religion into the discussion.
What's next polygamy? Now, here is a subject that is hidden under the blanket past and present when it comes to candor and Mormonism.Wonder how Romney deals with this issue or if he ever had to on the trail to the WH.

Lefty
01-31-2012, 02:27 AM
Attacking a man because of his religion is pretty vile.

elysiantraveller
01-31-2012, 09:05 AM
Would you vote for a atheist?

TJDave
01-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Attacking a man because of his religion is pretty vile.

Religion is a choice. Why can't someone be challenged based on what they choose to believe?

TJDave
01-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Would you vote for a atheist?

Most probably have. ;)

DJofSD
01-31-2012, 12:01 PM

Ok, you've shared with us the conclusion you've reached. Now, how about sharing with us the reasoning and the background?

TJDave
01-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Ok, you've shared with us the conclusion you've reached. Now, how about sharing with us the reasoning and the background?

Here is a list of resource materials. Read them and form your own conclusions.

Mormon writings:

Book of Mormon
Pearl of great price
Doctrine and covenants
The articles of faith

Books about Mormonism:

An insiders view of Mormon origins - Grant Palmer
Mormon America - Richard and Joan Ostling
American massacre - Sally Denton
Under the banner of heaven - John Krakauer

DJofSD
01-31-2012, 01:47 PM
OK. I guess I'll have to be satisfied with that as a response.

I studied Mormanism in high school. I have known and now know members of that church. I don't have any problems with their choice of faith (this still is America, isn't it?)

You seem to be repeating the claims of the fear-mongers from the 1950's when JFK was running for office.

Lefty
01-31-2012, 01:48 PM
My Grandmother and Grandfather told me they didn't vote for Al Smith because
he was a Catholic. Hoover won the election. My grandparent's believed if Al Smith wouldn't have been a Catholic he would have won.
To me that's bigotry.
They come to realize that.
To not vote for Romney because he is a Mormon is also bigotry.

I am more interested in his economic and human rights stances than his religion.

Romney is not my first choice but it looks like he will get the nomination.

I will vote for him because Obama is the death knell for this country. Our debt
exceeds our GDP and it won't get any better under Obama.
Obama believes big government is the solution to problems.
Big government causes problems and then causes more problems while pretending to solve them.

So I don't give flying schmuck if Romney is a Mormon.

DJofSD
01-31-2012, 01:55 PM
I'll stand with you, Lefty.

johnhannibalsmith
01-31-2012, 02:05 PM
I'll stand with you, Lefty.

Me too. I don't understand their religion per se, but among the sample of people that I know, the mormons in that group are probably among the most decent, hard working people of good character of the lot - and if we are intent on defining them by their religion, then the religion can't be all that bad.

TJDave
01-31-2012, 02:28 PM
You seem to be repeating the claims of the fear-mongers from the 1950's when JFK was running for office.

Papal infallibility was a legitimate question. One which Kennedy addressed.

It's still a question I would want a serious Catholic candidate to answer.

Tom
01-31-2012, 02:41 PM
If there was ever anyone I would want to stand by and have my back it would be Lefty! Good God man, REGAN would vote for Lefty! :ThmbUp:

Lefty
01-31-2012, 02:55 PM
OMG, what very nice compliment. My face is red with blushing.
Thank you Tom! Most appreciated.

DJofSD
01-31-2012, 02:59 PM

It's still a question I would want a serious Catholic candidate to answer.
The Pope is infallible in matters of faith. Period.

bigmack
01-31-2012, 03:09 PM
TJDave goin' the way of Larry O:

czrBUp4vW50

TJDave
01-31-2012, 03:28 PM
TJDave goin' the way of Larry O:

Got NO problem with that. As long as it's limited to this particular case, I'm PROUD to stand WITH Laurence O'Donnell.

GameTheory
01-31-2012, 04:07 PM

It's still a question I would want a serious Catholic candidate to answer.Papal infallibility only applies when the Pope speaks ex cathedra ("from the chair"), among other conditions. It is extremely rare.

Lefty
01-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Larry O'Donnell's parents missed the mark when they didn't name him Dick.

For once, I agree with Ellen.

JustRalph
01-31-2012, 05:25 PM
TJDave

I would vote for HAM the space Chimp over Obama. That's where a ton of Romney support is coming from.

I don't think Gingerich can get it done. So, here we go again.

Btw, HAM was a hero.........

TJDave
01-31-2012, 05:46 PM
I would vote for HAM the space Chimp over Obama.

That would work.

As long as HAM wasn't a Mormon.

Maybe I'll write him in.

Problem solved.

bigmack
01-31-2012, 05:55 PM
Pcw0woPX5VY

TJDave
01-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Pcw0woPX5VY

Although Saints may claim different:

Mormons are not a race.

johnhannibalsmith
01-31-2012, 06:17 PM

Mormons are not a race.

:lol:

Didn't watch it, huh?

TJDave
01-31-2012, 06:20 PM
:lol:

Didn't watch it, huh?

Wrong.

But nice bit of two-stepping dontchathink?

johnhannibalsmith
01-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Wrong.

But nice bit of two-stepping dontchathink?

It was rather kind of the departed moderator not to persevere with that final question in the clip, assuming that's whatchatalkinbout.

TJDave
01-31-2012, 06:29 PM
It was rather kind of the departed moderator not to persevere with that final question in the clip, assuming that's whatchatalkinbout.

The Saints get the last laugh. I'm betting they've already had him baptized, in absentia...

So to speak ;)

Rookies
01-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Hmm...Muslims and Mormons. Might be a legitimate comparison here. Maybe Rom is the Mormon's version of the Muslim's 12th Imam. :D

Boxcar

Come on Boxie... Get yer Speaker Moonbeam :lol: over the top in FL! I need to cinch my bet on the President. That old coot can come up with bizarro ideas DAILY until November. I am convinced of that...:D

Lefty
01-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Newt can come up with some damn good ideas too. He actually made Bill Clinton look like a competent President.

Tom
01-31-2012, 09:53 PM
Got NO problem with that. As long as it's limited to this particular case, I'm PROUD to stand WITH Laurence O'Donnell.

What about Rosie?

Lefty
01-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Rosie?
She'a a wannabe Dick.

TJDave
01-31-2012, 11:08 PM
Rosie?
She'a a wannabe Dick.

Someone's religion...that's off limits

But their sexual identity is fair game?

Right. :rolleyes:

Lefty
01-31-2012, 11:52 PM
Rosie is not running for President. If she was, and was a conservative that would cut taxes and limit government I'd vote for her in a heartbeat.

bigmack
02-01-2012, 02:09 PM
I need to cinch my bet on the President.
Behind the 8 ball with yet another wacky wager, huh?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/GallupstatenumberspredicthugeObamaloss-Campaign2012-WashingtonExaminer.png

DJofSD
02-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Ya, those OMB numbers released yesterday are kind of the next nail in the coffin, eh Mack?

johnhannibalsmith
02-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Though technically a bay I think, I was hoping this would be about one of my favorite horse names: Teancum.

An omen for Mitt? Just broke his maiden in the opener at ole' TuP.