PDA

View Full Version : Grunders' Blunders

The Bit
01-28-2012, 03:35 PM
He is so bad it is a joke.

Race 2 he calls #3 Emmas Kiss "home and cooled out" right as she starts to get run down, lucky for him the #3 holds on.

Race 7 he calls the #7 as "finds room and is going to blow their doors off" only to have the horse get beat at the wire.

4 races to go, I'm sure he'll have another gem or two!

Robert Goren
01-28-2012, 03:37 PM
One word "Mute"

The Bit
01-28-2012, 03:39 PM
One word "Mute"

Why would you want to do that? The humor!

Zydeco
01-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Now that they have trakus I don't even hear him anymore. Just watch the trakus and can follow the race myself.

Robert Goren
01-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Why would you want to do that? The humor!You can bitch about him as much as you want and you will get plenty of support of here. But the bottom line is they aren't going to replace him. So you have three choices. Don't bet Tampa, Mute, or Put up with it.

PaceAdvantage
01-28-2012, 03:51 PM
He is so bad it is a joke.

Race 2 he calls #3 Emmas Kiss "home and cooled out" right as she starts to get run down, lucky for him the #3 holds on.

Race 7 he calls the #7 as "finds room and is going to blow their doors off" only to have the horse get beat at the wire.

4 races to go, I'm sure he'll have another gem or two!Are we searching this hard nowadays to find something negative to post about announcers?

Yeah, I get it...the above isn't his finest hour...but does it deserve its own thread? :lol:

There surely must be an existing thread about Grunder around here...

The Bit
01-28-2012, 04:24 PM
It is my once a year critique Grunder day!

Plus, you don't have to search real hard for this stuff, when others are also noting it on Twitter.

Zman179
01-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Listen, do what I do:

Turn off the sound and yell, C'MON #3 CHICKLET! C'MON!!!!

cj
01-28-2012, 06:09 PM
I wonder if they radio announcers for AA baseball teams get this much scrutiny.

HuggingTheRail
01-28-2012, 06:15 PM

Probably not, but if it wasn't for announcers, enquiries/stewards, and Zenyatta, this section of the forum might have a lower thread count than the sheets at the no-tell motel....:bang:

PaceAdvantage
01-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Probably not, but if it wasn't for announcers, enquiries/stewards, and Zenyatta, this section of the forum might have a lower thread count than the sheets at the no-tell motel....:bang:Oh, I doubt that...

Cardus
01-28-2012, 06:50 PM

Well played, sir.

PhantomOnTour
01-28-2012, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=cj]I wonder if they radio announcers for AA baseball teams get this much scrutiny.[/QUOTE

Tampa Bay isn't a AA track.
You'd have a good point of we were griping about the announcer at Retama.

cj
01-28-2012, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=cj]I wonder if they radio announcers for AA baseball teams get this much scrutiny.[/QUOTE

Tampa Bay isn't a AA track.
You'd have a good point of we were griping about the announcer at Retama.
That is your opinion, the purse levels don't really agree.

jerry-g
01-28-2012, 11:46 PM
I only hate the announcer on races I loose. When I win, I find them provocative and highly entertaining.

HuggingTheRail
01-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Oh, I doubt that...

'twas just trying for a cheap laugh boss - this place rocks!

PaceAdvantage
01-30-2012, 12:53 AM
'twas just trying for a cheap laugh boss - this place rocks!I'm very sensitive. Apology accepted... :lol:

HuggingTheRail
01-30-2012, 01:13 AM
I'm very sensitive. Apology accepted... :lol:

Oh goodie, should I still send the flowers?? :cool:

racingfan378
02-13-2012, 01:14 AM
He blew a race call over the weekend saying the longshot got the headbob and won when he didnt.

And you guys are right, he wont be repace anytime soon.

Have you heard the CT guy? He sucks, but probably the cheapest out there. Good announcers make a fat salary, thats for sure. . .according to my research his name is Jeff Cernik at CT. This guy also tries to sound like trevor once in a while saying "and away they go" at the start and when he does that he sounds constipated!

His backup (whoever the guy is) should be the f/t guy with his catchy one liners and accurate race calls along with his smooth delivery during a race.

Regarding salary: I believe when Wrona was at LS, he was getting either $400 or $500 per night, even during the QH meet, WTF!? So during the QH meet, he basically worked 3 to 5 minutes of actual race calling (since the races are so short) and got paid an avg of $100 a minute!

Sign me the hell up for that gig!:D

NJ Stinks
02-13-2012, 02:04 AM
He blew a race call over the weekend saying the longshot got the headbob and won when he didnt.

If you are referring to the 4th race on Saturday, I saw the race. It did look like the longshot held on watching it live. And the slo-mo replay didn't help much either.

Anyway, I don't consider that a blown call.

johnhannibalsmith
02-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Anyway, I don't consider that a blown call.

So you were wrong too, therefore it isn't a blown call? :D

NJ Stinks
02-13-2012, 11:59 AM
So you were wrong too, therefore it isn't a blown call? :D

John John. I wheeled the winner with all in the exacta that race. Of course I was wrong too! :lol:

But seriously, I think Tampa Bay fools me as much as any track when it comes to calling photo finishes.

Sparky13
02-13-2012, 01:23 PM
How many of the posters on PaceAdvantage have tried to call a race? Getting all the horses say in a 12 horse field memorized between races and remembering all their different colors. That is amazing to me. A few mistakes here and there can be overlooked. However, Grunder, when I hear him call the Tampa Bay races, always makes me think of the announcer in the movie "The Sting".

bigmack
02-13-2012, 02:15 PM
As mentioned, "Somebody stop me."

Okq5Vvnv1VQ

johnhannibalsmith
02-13-2012, 02:17 PM
As mentioned, "Somebody stop me."

I've been waiting patiently......................................... .......

bigmack
02-13-2012, 02:26 PM
I've been waiting patiently......................................... .......
Ya have to admit; beats the likeness to The Sting as brought forth by Sparky.

Behold. My Favorite Martian. :cool:

kAi0cSCUWfg

PaceAdvantage
02-14-2012, 03:46 AM
How many of the posters on PaceAdvantage have tried to call a race? Getting all the horses say in a 12 horse field memorized between races and remembering all their different colors. That is amazing to me. A few mistakes here and there can be overlooked. However, Grunder, when I hear him call the Tampa Bay races, always makes me think of the announcer in the movie "The Sting".This is a red herring. Plenty of other sports announcers are routinely criticized by their sports' fans. Ever see people rip Tim McCarver to shreds? It's not a pretty site. There are even whole websites dedicated to ripping Tim McCarver...(well, there used to be...apparently, shutuptimmccarver.com is no more...lol)

And for the record, there are a number of posters on PaceAdvantage who not only have tried to call a race, but are calling races...

bitter
02-15-2012, 11:33 AM

And you guys are right, he wont be repace anytime soon.

Have you heard the CT guy? He sucks, but probably the cheapest out there. Good announcers make a fat salary, thats for sure. . .according to my research his name is Jeff Cernik at CT. This guy also tries to sound like trevor once in a while saying "and away they go" at the start and when he does that he sounds constipated!
His backup (whoever the guy is) should be the f/t guy with his catchy one liners and accurate race calls along with his smooth delivery during a race.

Regarding salary: I believe when Wrona was at LS, he was getting either $400 or $500 per night, even during the QH meet, WTF!? So during the QH meet, he basically worked 3 to 5 minutes of actual race calling (since the races are so short) and got paid an avg of $100 a minute!

Sign me the hell up for that gig!:D

he's pretty horrible. they'll be headed into the stretch and he'll make some sort of announcement that xyz is making a............... and then there's like an 5-6 second pause where he stops talking to pick back up essentially as the race is already over....kills me

BlueShoe
02-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Poor Richard, he continues to get flak. Have said it before on PA and will say it again, I LIKE Grunder and enjoy his style. His occasional goof phases me not. The announcers call is not going to make my nag run one step faster, or, for that matter, one step slower, and is not going to influence the outcome.

cj
02-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Poor Richard, he continues to get flak. Have said it before on PA and will say it again, I LIKE Grunder and enjoy his style. His occasional goof phases me not. The announcers call is not going to make my nag run one step faster, or, for that matter, one step slower, and is not going to influence the outcome.

That is cool. When I watch baseball, or basketball, I prefer to hear guys that comment on what is really happening without long pauses and wrong names or bad play calls. But hey, that is just me. You are right, in the end, it won't change who wins the game.

Seriously though, there are only so many top announcers in all sports. The AAA OKC RedHawks radio guy probably isn't going to be on TV doing a Yankees game any time soon. Tampa is a not a top flight track, and that is what you get. They seem to want to move up in status, but part of that is giving a top flight presentation. They aren't doing it, and the announcer is part of that.