PDA

View Full Version : Blind Luck to Bernardini

FenceBored
01-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Everyone who's anyone is breeding to Bernardini.

Dr. Mark Dedomenico’s Blind Luck (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/thoroughbred/blind-luck/2007?source=BHonline), the champion 3-year-old filly of 2010, has been officially retired from racing and booked to Darley stallion Bernardini (http://www.stallionregister.com/sr_sire_page.asp?refno=6801271&origin=BHonline) (http://www.equineline.com/dotReportProductSelectionDisplay.cfm?horse_name=Be rnardini&YOB=2003&breed_type=TB&horse_type=I&ASCID=1443262).
Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/67165/blind-luck-retired-booked-to-bernardini#ixzz1kflxpE5W

I guess all the other stallions in the US are taking the year off?

Fingal
01-27-2012, 12:15 PM
It's also because there's no more direct A.P. Indy breeding, so might as well go to a successful son. And there has to be a component of -
" If he's good enough for the Moss's to choose him as Zenyatta's first foal, he must be good enough for me. "

Because racing like most sports has a monkey see, monkey do mentality.

Bernardini is the flavor of the month, congratulations to those who had the vision / courage to breed to him before he became popular. Those who breed to sell will reap the benefits of it.

Spalding No!
01-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Bernardini is the flavor of the month, congratulations to those who had the vision / courage to breed to him before he became popular.

Was Bernardini ever not popular? He's a classic winner with a million dollar pedigree, retired in peak form at age 3, and immediately commanded a $100k stud fee.

The early supporters of Medaglia D'Oro are the ones who made out.

Nikki1997
01-27-2012, 08:49 PM
The Moss' chose Bernardini because (a) he's a well bred, well conformed son of A.P. Indy, whose fertility has dwindled over the last few years and (b) maybe most importantly, Eric Kronfeld bred Zen's mother to Bernardini and decided not to sell the foal. This foal is Ebloussisante. Only time will tell how this filly turns out, but she is spectacular looking.

FenceBored
01-27-2012, 09:17 PM
The Moss' chose Bernardini because (a) he's a well bred, well conformed son of A.P. Indy, whose fertility has dwindled over the last few years and (b) maybe most importantly, Eric Kronfeld bred Zen's mother to Bernardini and decided not to sell the foal. This foal is Ebloussisante. Only time will tell how this filly turns out, but she is spectacular looking.

Just to clarify your ambiguous reference, Bernardini's fertility has not dwindled over the last few years.

FenceBored
01-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Was Bernardini ever not popular? He's a classic winner with a million dollar pedigree, retired in peak form at age 3, and immediately commanded a $100k stud fee.

The early supporters of Medaglia D'Oro are the ones who made out.

Following up on Bernardini and his stats. His basics aren't impressive: 27.40% Winners/Foals
43.80% Winners/Starters

These are near the bottom of the 3rd crop sires with freely available statistical summaries.

Get into graded stakes winners and he makes up for it:

3.20% GSW/Foals
5.11% GSW/Starters
11.67% GSW/Winners

High figures in the same group. Highest for that last figure.

Grits
01-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Just to clarify your ambiguous reference, Bernardini's fertility has not dwindled over the last few years.

Fence, I think she's speaking of AP Indy. He's not breeding any longer at all, he's been pensioned by Lane's End.

turninforhome10
01-28-2012, 12:03 AM
What is Berndini's mare improvement rate. Is he moving up his mares or are the mares he is breeding tops already.

keithw84
01-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Why is A. P. Indy not breeding anymore?

tbwinner
01-28-2012, 02:46 AM
Why is A. P. Indy not breeding anymore?

Pensioned in April last year. http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/62357/leading-sire-ap-indy-pensioned

FenceBored
01-28-2012, 06:05 AM
What is Berndini's mare improvement rate. Is he moving up his mares or are the mares he is breeding tops already.

Comp Index is 3.46, so he's getting real good mares. AEI is 2.51, but that's a small sample with no older horses yet.

classhandicapper
01-28-2012, 01:01 PM
I know very little about breeding, but I seem to recall reading that Bernadini also produced some excellent runners in Europe last year. So his horses are running well on dirt and turf. He seems like a budding superstar to me and we already know he was a terrific racehorse that might not have even reached his peak when he was retired.

Maybe Zenyatta's foal with Bernadini will be the first horse to win a Grade 1 on Dirt, Turf, and Synthetic. ;)

trp
01-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Maybe Zenyatta's foal with Bernadini will be the first horse to win a Grade 1 on Dirt, Turf, and Synthetic. ;)

Lava Man already got that.

classhandicapper
01-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Lava Man already got that.

Wow. I didn't realize Lava Man did that.

I made one trip to Del Mar in my life and got to see Lava Man in the Pacific Classic when he was still going really well. I had a great time. I loved that track when it was dirt. I don't even mind synthetics in general much, but I don't like the surface they have now.

thaskalos
01-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Bernardini's popularity comes as no great surprise to me...

The Italians always seem to get the best girls...

cj
01-29-2012, 03:44 PM
How many of these top racing fillies and mare have produced much lately? I can't think of much off hand. Am I wrong?

nijinski
01-29-2012, 10:02 PM
How many of these top racing fillies and mare have produced much lately? I can't think of much off hand. Am I wrong?

One of them that comes to mind is Urban Sea who gave us Sea The Stars .
They both won the Arc and that's pretty amazing. She unfortnately died of foaling complications.A huge loss.
I think if you look into pedigree databases you'll find many great fillys do pass along their fine traits , but sometimes through their unraced foals who go on into the breedihg shed and often they will produce a leading sire as Terlingua did with Storm Cat .
You can never really compare their numbers with leading sires as they can only
produce so any foals in a lifetime and we have lost many a fine broodmare due to complications.
If anyone here remembers a classy hard knocking mare , I believe from the the early 80's named Jameela. She gave birth to one foal . That foal was Gulch. I would have loved to see more from this mare but she was struck and killed by lightning in her paddock and never got the chance.
I just checked Jameela's pedigree and to be correct , she had two foals.

Spalding No!
01-29-2012, 10:16 PM
I think if you look into pedigree databases you'll find many great fillys do pass along their fine traits , but sometimes through their unraced foals who go on into the breedihg shed and often they will produce a leading sire as Terlingua did with Storm Cat .

Terlingua was a multiple stakes winner.

nijinski
01-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Terlingua was a multiple stakes winner.
Yes she was, I should have pointed that out too.

Grits
01-30-2012, 12:13 AM
Secretariat's, Terlingua and Weekend Surprise were both graded stakes winners. Terlingua already noted.

Weekend Surprise gave us AP Indy and Summer Squall. Have photos of both fellas.

The AP girl that has me curious today is "Rags." Rags To Riches, who hit the Belmont wire before Curlin. That day, I thought the grandstand rafters would come down, the crowd was so deafening. What a race!

Wonder how Rags is doing, who she's in foal to?

Spalding No!
01-30-2012, 12:29 AM

Using the year 2000 as the cutoff, only Dream Of Summer (Creative Cause), Dream Supreme (Majestic Warrior), Madcap Escapade (Mi Sueno), You (You And I Forever) Country Hideaway (Boca Grande) and Unbridled Elaine (Etched, Out Of Bounds) have produced anything of note.

nijinski
01-30-2012, 01:27 AM
Secretariat's, Terlingua and Weekend Surprise were both graded stakes winners. Terlingua already noted.

Weekend Surprise gave us AP Indy and Summer Squall. Have photos of both fellas.

The AP girl that has me curious today is "Rags." Rags To Riches, who hit the Belmont wire before Curlin. That day, I thought the grandstand rafters would come down, the crowd was so deafening. What a race!

Wonder how Rags is doing, who she's in foal to?
Last I read Grits , she was bred back to Henrythenavigator so
I'm assuming she is in Ireland , have to check on that soon ,
glad You reminded me. There should be a Galileo colt and Giants Causeway
filly from her. I believe the filly injured a sesamoid , but was not life
threatening. It gets a bit evasive with broodmares when they go to
overseas . Much harder to keep track of.

Grits
01-30-2012, 05:47 PM
NJ, I hope Rags does well as a broodmare, hope she throws nice babies. She was one fine filly.

We never know when the next Miesque, Toussaud, Personal Ensign, etc, will appear.

I'd be pleased owning the Morrison's, Lotta Kim, hoping Samantha Nicole has some of her sister's speed. But this is just me. ;)

Last I read Grits , she was bred back to Henrythenavigator so
I'm assuming she is in Ireland , have to check on that soon ,
glad You reminded me. There should be a Galileo colt and Giants Causeway
filly from her. I believe the filly injured a sesamoid , but was not life
threatening. It gets a bit evasive with broodmares when they go to
overseas . Much harder to keep track of.

nijinski
01-30-2012, 07:29 PM
NJ, I hope Rags does well as a broodmare, hope she throws nice babies. She was one fine filly.

We never know when the next Miesque, Toussaud, Personal Ensign, etc, will appear.

I'd be pleased owning the Morrison's, Lotta Kim, hoping Samantha Nicole has some of her sister's speed. But this is just me. ;)
I'm with you on the above Grits. Dolphus Morrison seems so proud of LK .
He made it clear when he sold Rachel that he woudn't let go of her Dam.

As for Rags To Riches . It looks like they are paving the way for her offspring to to have many options. grass dirt and classic distances . I'm anxiously awaiting for a debut.