PDA

View Full Version : From back of the pack to the lead in War Horse

Grits
01-25-2012, 10:01 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/sports/finders-key-from-far-back-in-the-pack-to-the-lead-in-war-horse.html?_r=1

fast4522
01-25-2012, 11:33 AM
I am looking forward to this film when it comes out on DVD, has anyone here seen it yet?

bigmack
01-25-2012, 01:55 PM
I am looking forward to this film when it comes out on DVD, has anyone here seen it yet?
Think of the sappiest film you've ever seen. Then pour about 35 lbs of sugar and two 55 gallon drums of maple syrup on it.

Then you'll have an idea of how War Horse is.

Grits
01-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Think of the sappiest film you've ever seen. Then pour about 35 lbs of sugar and two 55 gallon drums of maple syrup on it.

Then you'll have an idea of how War Horse is.

SHUT UP, CHARLIE! :p (aka: Charlie Harper)

Whatta you know about War Horse, you spend all your time chasin' wimmin'. You've been out roamin' again, MIA, you just got back yesterday.

Fast, get War Horse when the DVD comes out. I promise, its not sappy, its not gory, bloody, its doesn't concentrate so much on the horror of war, but it is, of course, its backdrop.

I enjoyed the film. Its a fine one and I hope it wins an Oscar or two.

bigmack
01-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Fast, get War Horse when the DVD comes out. I promise, its not sappy, its not gory, bloody, its doesn't concentrate so much on the horror of war, but it is, of course, its backdrop.

I enjoyed the film. Its a fine one and I hope it wins an Oscar or two.
If you have a connection within 'the industry' you already have it on DVD. You've already seen it in the home theater; like me. :ThmbUp: And the verdict is: EXPONENTIALLY MAWKISH!

The John Williams score is insufferable. EVERY little emotion dripping. Dripping. Dripping. All the subtlety of a ball pein hammer.

It's only up for two awards and it'll lose both.

'Grits' - founder member, Spielberg Sap Central Society. :ThmbDown:

NJ Stinks
01-25-2012, 07:13 PM
I heard from adults I know who saw it that it was a movie for kids. First third was OK but not so much after that according to my conservative buddies. :eek:

(Just kidding about the conservative thingie. :) )

Grits
01-25-2012, 11:19 PM
LOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL:lol:

You've never liked Williams. What else is new? You can't stand him. Don't care, he wrote one good, no, make that incredibly beautiful soundtrack. Out Of Africa (its late, I'm tired, damn, I think he wrote it!) I still have it, love it dearly.

Did you ever watch (I know you did, so don't lie) Two 1/2 Men before Sheen got canned. I've decided I'm gonna call you Charlie from now on. I swear, you're just like him. Always chasin' wimmin. Live by the beach.

And Rose, always climbing over the deck after Charlie, worrying the tar out of him. Rose was a character, she made me laugh like crazy. Rose WAS a little crazy. :lol:

Oh, and Fast, don't let him sway you, watch it on DVD. He doesn't know everything like he thinks he does.

If you have a connection within 'the industry' you already have it on DVD. You've already seen it in the home theater; like me. :ThmbUp: And the verdict is: EXPONENTIALLY MAWKISH!

The John Williams score is insufferable. EVERY little emotion dripping. Dripping. Dripping. All the subtlety of a ball pein hammer.

It's only up for two awards and it'll lose both.

'Grits' - founder member, Spielberg Sap Central Society. :ThmbDown:

Grits
01-25-2012, 11:21 PM
I heard from adults I know who saw it that it was a movie for kids. First third was OK but not so much after that according to my conservative buddies. :eek:

(Just kidding about the conservative thingie. :) )

Well, NJ, Okie dokie. :lol: That's me, all kid.

maddog42
01-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Williams has written a lot of good music, and not just for Spielberg.

Grits
01-25-2012, 11:39 PM
Williams has written a lot of good music, and not just for Spielberg.

Mad, you know he ain't gonna like you saying fine things about Williams. He'll GO OFF when he gets back in.:rolleyes:

maddog42
01-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Mad, you know he ain't gonna like you saying fine things about Williams. He'll GO OFF when he gets back in.:rolleyes:

My favorite movie composer was Bernard Hermann, but second is Williams. I love
his Superman soundtrack. Another Composer comes to mind: Jerry Goldsmith,
whose niece is married to a good friend of mine. They also live here in Norman.
Whats Mack gonna do? Take away my milk and cookies?

Grits
01-25-2012, 11:50 PM
YEP, while he gets all mouthy!! And has one of his little hissy fits about him.

maddog42
01-25-2012, 11:53 PM
I better eat them quick. He might tell on me to the boss (my wife).

maddog42
01-26-2012, 12:11 AM
John Barry wrote the soundtrack for Out of Africa. I just looked it up. Don't worry I won't tell Mack.

bigmack
01-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Gi'me a sec to drink this all in. http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/GILMAK_2007/vomit2-1.gif

You can 'staht' by cannin' the Charlie take. With rare exceptions sitcoms are pedestrian, (and that shoe is, Not that i judge)

And secondly the farkin' show does a disservice to my profession, and I resent it. Bad. Real bad.

I don't 'member EVAH! goin off on a 'Williams jag' (but if I did, I wouldn't be surprised)

Look, the guy has written some nice material WHEN IT WAS THEMATIC. This hackneyed mess he's putting out now is just a cartoon version of film scoring.

I like all that maddog42 (who IS this guy) mentioned.

As one who LONGED to be a film composer, I've always dialed-in on scores. Funny, with all the software and recording gear I've got now, I could be.

Many today are GAWD awful.

hXjofHL0t1A
Scene selected for car wash portion. A CLASSic.

Actor
01-26-2012, 12:21 AM
I heard from adults I know who saw it that it was a movie for kids.Not for kids. Absolutely too violent. Has execution of two kids by a firing squad.

Saving Private Man O' War

Grits
01-26-2012, 12:28 AM
Thanks, Mad. At least I didn't get this one wrong, chattling late at night. Trust me, I know music better than horses. Been at it longer. ;)

I'm tired, its "out like a light", shortly. Night, gentlemen.

maddog42
01-26-2012, 12:40 AM
I will never forget the Car Wash scene from Cool Hand Luke for as long as I live.
Good Score. While looking up Williams on Wiki I found that he actually played (not composed) the piano on the Peter Gunn theme. Wow!

Actor
01-26-2012, 04:18 PM
I will never forget the Car Wash scene from Cool Hand Luke for as long as I live.The girl washing the car and the men looking at her were filmed separately. The girl did her thing for the camera. The men looking at her were actually looking at thin air. It's called editing. :lol:

nijinski
01-26-2012, 04:55 PM
I enjoyed War Horse alot . I didn't' mind some of the corn and I didn't find it terribly violent for a movie taking place in war time.
I brought along relatives , females age fourteen and seventeen and they
adored it . Of course we all fell in love with Joey and the teens also enjoyed
looking at Jeremy Irvine's eyes throughout the film. Although we don't see all
of the cast throughout the movie , the actors were well picked IMO . The cinematography was superb.
There is a nice old fashioned feel to the movie if that's to your liking.

maddog42
01-26-2012, 05:06 PM
The girl washing the car and the men looking at her were filmed separately. The girl did her thing for the camera. The men looking at her were actually looking at thin air. It's called editing. :lol:

No kidding? Wow! What will they think of next?

fast4522
01-27-2012, 10:49 PM
I am looking forward to it when it is out on DVD, REDBOX way to go.

Grits
01-27-2012, 11:29 PM
I am looking forward to it when it is out on DVD, REDBOX way to go.

I'm gonna go to one of those red boxes one of these days, they're in the grocery, at Walgreen, etc. Those boxes are everywhere, and I've never walked up to one.

Mack, you HAVE gone off on John Williams before. I don't make stuff up. Its been a while back. But, you have, I promise you. Like I said, I know music better than I know some other things. Too, I have better recall of what other's opinions are regarding it.

You've also gone off on Andrea Bottlecaps, or whatever his name is--you know, the blind Italian dude.

(I won't call you Charlie anymore either. Get over it.):rolleyes:

fast4522
04-07-2012, 04:10 PM
I watched War horse last night, the wife liked it very much, I found it interesting. I see so many movies that different fits exactly.