PDA

View Full Version : Any "wow" performances yet?

menifee
01-25-2012, 02:08 AM
I know it is only January 25, 2012, but has anybody seen any three year old maiden or allowance/stakes horse do anything that really caught the eye. Typically, I have seen some wow performances in years past, but I have not seen anything yet at FG, Tampa, GP or Santa Anita.

The closest has been Discreet Dancer, but I'm suspect about GP Pletcher horses.

Dahoss9698
01-25-2012, 10:38 AM
It wasn't at a major track, but I was really impressed with the race Isn't He Clever ran on December 30th in the Riley Allison Futurity at Sunland Park.

He earned a 97 Beyer for the performance and I would assume they are going to try and stretch him out now. Whether or not he can do that remains to be seen, but at the very least he is one of only a few 3 year olds so far who have run a somewhat fast race.

Spalding No!
01-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Not sure how fast the races were, but at Santa Anita, Consulado (More Than Ready out of a Broad Brush mare) upended a maiden special weight field, winning wire-to-wire by 7 lengths in his 2nd start. The very highly touted Asmussen debuter, Welter Weight, was a green and troubled second.

In a recent 2-turn allowance, Sky Kingdom won by 4 under hand ride off his 4th in the CashCall Futurity. That performance was a bit dressed up, however, as he only faced 3 disadvantaged rivals. One was a turf horse making his dirt debut, one was a Cal-bred sprinter, and the other horse pulled up.

Dahoss9698
01-29-2012, 03:32 PM
El Padrino is the real deal. I really like him going forward.

Dark Horse
01-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Reneesgotzip wowed me. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but ... WOW.

Spalding No!
01-29-2012, 08:46 PM

I eagerly await Broadway's Alibi's first start beyond the friendly confines of Gulfstream Park. Besides the obvious, the fact that she's by the pumpkin producer extraordinaire Vindication seals her fate.

The ironic name of today's race (the Forward Gal) completes the fairy tale.

Dahoss9698
01-29-2012, 08:57 PM
I eagerly await Broadway's Alibi's first start beyond the friendly confines of Gulfstream Park. Besides the obvious, the fact that she's by the pumpkin producer extraordinaire Vindication seals her fate.

The ironic name of today's race (the Forward Gal) completes the fairy tale.

That was some "performance" to say the least. Kind of amazing what kind of efforts Pletcher has been able to get out of the Robsham owned horses.

menifee
01-30-2012, 02:56 AM
Reneesgotzip wowed me. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but ... WOW.

It was impressive, but I think she's a sprinter and not a route hors.

Tom
01-30-2012, 09:37 AM
I'll go WOW! when something wins 2 Gr 1's.

Producer
01-30-2012, 06:46 PM

Beat me to it. That was a hell of a performance. Nothing has looked even remotely close to him so far, imo.

SmartyLane
02-02-2012, 09:56 PM

Yessirr

CincyHorseplayer
02-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Where did El Padrino last race?I can't find the race.Want to check out his stuff.

theguarantee
02-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Gulfstream Sunday Race 7.

CincyHorseplayer
02-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Gulfstream Sunday Race 7.

Thanks man!

CincyHorseplayer
02-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Damn.Twinspires has their video library locked up.I don't know if it's because of I have a new computer or they are dysfunctional?

theguarantee
02-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Has been working for me all night.

theguarantee
02-02-2012, 11:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5f8WDzXWv8

CincyHorseplayer
02-02-2012, 11:35 PM
You aren't getting select tracks on the replay page?

Like I said I'm having some weird things going on with this new computer.I am getting on this site via email only.Thanks for the race link though man.

CincyHorseplayer
02-02-2012, 11:40 PM
He looked pretty green on the backstretch,seemed like his head was on a bag of oats.Finished well but will need to do a lot better.Was this a maiden race?Seemed reluctant to go by.Not a "WOW" by any means.

Dahoss9698
02-03-2012, 12:40 AM
He looked pretty green on the backstretch,seemed like his head was on a bag of oats.Finished well but will need to do a lot better.Was this a maiden race?Seemed reluctant to go by.Not a "WOW" by any means.

You sure you watched the link that was provided? How was he reluctant to go by?

It was his 4th race. He was 2nd in his debut. Won his 2nd start by almost 13 lengths (there's the "wow") and was beaten 3/4 of a length in the Remsen.

All of this info can be found pretty easily online nowadays.

http://www.horseracingnation.com/horse/El_Padrino

CincyHorseplayer
02-03-2012, 12:57 AM
You sure you watched the link that was provided? How was he reluctant to go by?

It was his 4th race. He was 2nd in his debut. Won his 2nd start by almost 13 lengths (there's the "wow") and was beaten 3/4 of a length in the Remsen.

All of this info can be found pretty easily online nowadays.

http://www.horseracingnation.com/horse/El_Padrino

Dahoss,

It looked to me he wasn't into the race very much til about the 16th pole.We are talking about "Wow" performances here.That one didn't wow me.He has potential but his gears weren't even mesmerizing to the naked eye.He looked like a teenager that was in his first fight.The next race will say more.

Dahoss9698
02-03-2012, 01:04 AM
Dahoss,

It looked to me he wasn't into the race very much til about the 16th pole.We are talking about "Wow" performances here.That one didn't wow me.He has potential but his gears weren't even mesmerizing to the naked eye.He looked like a teenager that was in his first fight.The next race will say more.

Personally speaking, for a Pletcher trained horse, that is the kind of effort I like going forward. It seems like the horses he trains that produce the "wow" kind of efforts have a hard time staying healthy and an even harder time reproducing the "wow" effort.

He does need to improve, but at this point they all do.

redshift1
02-03-2012, 01:06 AM

Take Charge Indy who was 5th in BC Juvenile was 13 lengths ahead of the 3rd place horse and 2 behind El Padrino on Saturday. About the only drawback was the track condition. Pretty impressive for EP.

CincyHorseplayer
02-03-2012, 01:16 AM
Personally speaking, for a Pletcher trained horse, that is the kind of effort I like going forward. It seems like the horses he trains that produce the "wow" kind of efforts have a hard time staying healthy and an even harder time reproducing the "wow" effort.

He does need to improve, but at this point they all do.

I appreciate the insights.I like the younger horses and think in some form or fashion I understand them.Probably not!They fascinate me though and any opinion and view of them I am interested in.This is definitely one for the memory bank.That wet track down there,I hope it's better for the Derby.

CincyHorseplayer
02-03-2012, 01:18 AM
Take Charge Indy who was 5th in BC Juvenile was 13 lengths ahead of the 3rd place horse and 2 behind El Padrino on Saturday. About the only drawback was the track condition. Pretty impressive for EP.

Red I'm just a picky SOB!They get bred their traits.I think we do too.

PhantomOnTour
02-03-2012, 01:40 AM
We will see what Tiger Walk is made of in the Withers at Aqu this Saturday.
He has been impressive in his last two at Lrl and will get an honest pace to shoot at in the Withers.

What i like about him is that he has a big move, working sharply, and most importantly...he improved his speed fig in his first start against winners and on dirt. I love to see that.
His debut at Sar wasn't bad going 5f on turf. He got a wide trip all the way around in his next start and had no chance. Jock Alan Garcia was not riding well at the time either.
Switch to Lrl and he wins two in a row...now back to NY with his new jock in tow. He is bred more for turf and may not be of this ilk (and i want more than his ML 6-1 price) but i will be watching with interest.

Spalding No!
02-03-2012, 04:56 PM
We will see what Tiger Walk is made of in the Withers at Aqu this Saturday.
He has been impressive in his last two at Lrl and will get an honest pace to shoot at in the Withers.

What i like about him is that he has a big move, working sharply, and most importantly...he improved his speed fig in his first start against winners and on dirt. I love to see that.
His debut at Sar wasn't bad going 5f on turf. He got a wide trip all the way around in his next start and had no chance. Jock Alan Garcia was not riding well at the time either.
Switch to Lrl and he wins two in a row...now back to NY with his new jock in tow. He is bred more for turf and may not be of this ilk (and i want more than his ML 6-1 price) but i will be watching with interest.

Martin Garcia rode him in the 2nd Saratoga start.

theguarantee
02-03-2012, 05:20 PM
I thought Tiger Walk's last race was very similar to Alpha's. The Bris figures say Alpha went a lot faster early and Tiger Walk a touch faster late (if I recall, was late last night)...visually they seemed very similar though and TW should be a much higher price. Additionally it seems like LRL closers to my memory translate OK at Aqu. Though that is without any statistical evidence. The other horse that I think is very interesting is actually Speightscity. Speak of one that may not be of this ilk...but this one crushed a field at Saratoga going 1 1/8th. The return at the BC wasn't great but while it doesn't really matter he did finish slightly ahead of Alpha. Last race he was visually bothered by Alpha who was extremely fractious in the gate. Alpha then bumps him at the break (this is noted but didn't seem like much at all) and Cohen tries to get him into the rail against some restraint, tries to split some horses awkwardly and ends up having to check back. Eventually he is forced wide on the turn for home before flattening badly. It's a big reach to make up those ten lengths I do suppose, but at bomber odds I'm willing to give a shot. Thinking the 2,6,7 gets you through the pk-4 with some mild concern about the 4.

PhantomOnTour
02-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Martin Garcia rode him in the 2nd Saratoga start.
I know...that's what i meant by the wide trip and the fact that his jock wasn't riding well at the time...maybe the slumping jockey was the reason for the wide trip....got it???

Dahoss9698
02-03-2012, 06:16 PM
I know...that's what i meant by the wide trip and the fact that his jock wasn't riding well at the time...maybe the slumping jockey was the reason for the wide trip....got it???

I don't think you understand what he was saying. You said Alan Garcia rode him in his 2nd start, when in fact it was Martin Garcia. Judging by his post, that is all he was saying...not disputing the trip or anything.

PhantomOnTour
02-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Errrrrrks!...my apologies Spalding.

Thought you meant that I thought Alan Garcia rode him in his debut as well. I see now it was Martin and not Alan.
I would edit my original post but hopefully an apology will do.

pondman
02-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Out of Bounds-- Darley Stables.

1/07/2012 (SA) in the Sham. Look for him to tear it up in the Preps. This is a tough looking horse.

redshift1
02-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Fed Biz Race 2 Santa Anita February 9th. Won by five although not exactly a smooth runner. Posted splits may be wrong but if the final time holds it may yield a good Beyer unless the track is playing fast on this summer like day in SoCal. Almost 80 degrees.

One Mile:

Times in 100ths: :21.95 :45.50 1:10.03 1:22.17 1:34.74

jognlope
02-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Union Rags handling slop and traffic in winning his first race, but he lugs in sometimes, looks at crowd.

redshift1
02-11-2012, 01:24 AM
Fed Biz Race 2 Santa Anita February 9th. Won by five although not exactly a smooth runner. Posted splits may be wrong but if the final time holds it may yield a good Beyer unless the track is playing fast on this summer like day in SoCal. Almost 80 degrees.

One Mile:

Times in 100ths: :21.95 :45.50 1:10.03 1:22.17 1:34.74

97 Beyer

The WindfallAngler
02-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Out of Bounds-- Darley Stables.

1/07/2012 (SA) in the Sham. Look for him to tear it up in the Preps. This is a tough looking horse.

23-1, not the price I'd hoped for, but a promising colt.

Watch Bodemeister.

cj
02-13-2012, 11:42 AM
23-1, not the price I'd hoped for, but a promising colt.

Watch Bodemeister.

Bodemeister was given a 99 Beyer. I actually think that is too low, probably should be in the 103 range. However, he did it while setting a moderate pace in relation to the final time with little pressure. He is a tough one to gauge at the moment but is worth watching.