PDA

View Full Version : NBC Takes over the Breeders cup!

toussaud
01-23-2012, 01:06 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/67104/nbc-takes-over-breeders-cup-coverage

:jump: :jump: :jump:

I just thought, I wonder if that means Tom Durkin is goign to be back or if LC is going to do the breeders cup

horses4courses
01-23-2012, 01:26 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/67104/nbc-takes-over-breeders-cup-coverage

I just thought, I wonder if that means Tom Durkin is goign to be back or if LC is going to do the breeders cup

It really matters to you who calls the BC races?
For me, any one of ten guys could make the calls - doesn't matter.
Couldn't give a fiddler's fuschia.....

FenceBored
01-23-2012, 01:40 PM

Why would they replace Trevor Zenman?

Dahoss9698
01-23-2012, 01:48 PM
It certainly opens the door for Durkin to return. The reason Durkin has not been calling the BC is because he has a contract with NBC. Denman has a contract with ESPN...not the Breeders Cup.

Tom
01-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Terry Wallace is available.

JimG
01-23-2012, 01:52 PM

Richard Grunder could certainly find the time. Tampa will be over with their season. :lol:

Grits
01-23-2012, 01:52 PM

SHUT UP!!! :lol: I swear, all you do is try to incite mayhem!

5k-claim
01-23-2012, 01:54 PM
so I am happy with this news.

As for the caller, I don't have strong feelings one way or the other at the moment. Except to say that I really, really wish that Gus Johnson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzc-CRKST9s) would learn to call races.

FenceBored
01-23-2012, 02:00 PM
It certainly opens the door for Durkin to return. The reason Durkin has not been calling the BC is because he has a contract with NBC. Denman has a contract with ESPN...not the Breeders Cup.

What else does ESPN have that would warrant keeping Denman under contract? NBC has all three legs of the Triple Crown and the BC, plus the Saratoga coverage.

As for Durkin, he opted out of the Triple Crown, so I have to wonder if he'd want the stress of calling the BC again.

Dahoss9698
01-23-2012, 02:07 PM
What else does ESPN have that would warrant keeping Denman under contract?

I can't think of anything off the top of my head. X Games maybe?

As for Durkin, he opted out of the Triple Crown, so I have to wonder if he'd want the stress of calling the BC again.

Yeah, it's probably just wishful thinking. I would imagine Collmus takes over, which is fine by me.

FantasticDan
01-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Denman worked for NBC/BC for many years providing race analysis. Despite having Colmus for the TC races, I'd be surprised if NBC didn't retain Denman as the BC race-caller, given it's at SA.

redshift1
01-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Anyone wonder what NBC's programming strategy is ? Given the recent recent downward trends in HR viewership?

http://www.anddownthestretchtheycome.com/

toussaud
01-23-2012, 02:21 PM
i just miss the old durkin breeders cup calls.

long term wise it makes sense, Horse racing is trying to tie itself to the hip of the new NBC network for it's big horse racing days. What you lose short term in heads in front of the TV you gain long term for branding

PaceAdvantage
01-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Anyone wonder what NBC's programming strategy is ? Given the recent recent downward trends in HR viewership?

http://www.anddownthestretchtheycome.com/ Programming for their VERSUS cable network perhaps?

garyscpa
01-23-2012, 08:02 PM
SHUT UP!!! :lol: I swear, all you do is try to incite mayhem!

That's how you get the big payoffs. :D

MickJ26
01-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Nothing could compare to "Tiznow wins it for America!!!" I still get goosebumps every time I hear it.

thaskalos
01-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Nothing could compare to "Tiznow wins it for America!!!" I still get goosebumps every time I hear it.

Memorable indeed...although I must admit that THIS is my favorite:

"First Dude settles into that powerful stride of his. He is out there stretching those long legs...furlong after powerful furlong, it's First Dude..."

Downright unforgettable! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXK04tMueR4

NTamm1215
01-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Memorable indeed...although I must admit that THIS is my favorite:

"First Dude settles into that powerful stride of his. He is out there stretching those long legs...furlong after powerful furlong, it's First Dude..."

Downright unforgettable! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXK04tMueR4

Wow. One of two bad calls the guy had on the biggest stages in racing and you draw attention to it. At least the good calls outnumber the bad ones by a factor of more than 50-1.

thaskalos
01-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Wow. One of two bad calls the guy had on the biggest stages in racing and you draw attention to it. At least the good calls outnumber the bad ones by a factor of more than 50-1.
Come on...I was only kidding around.

I meant no malice by it...and I apologize if it was in bad taste.

Grits
01-23-2012, 10:10 PM

Thask, don't kid. It'll blow up in your face every time. Believe me.

thaskalos
01-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Thask, don't kid. It'll blow up in your face every time. Believe me.

I don't kid around often, Grits...you know that. :)

I just happen to think that some topics are less serious than others.

A horseplayer without a sense of humor is a sad sight indeed...

NTamm1215
01-23-2012, 10:28 PM

I kind of figured. I'm just clearly a big Durkin fan.

Dahoss9698
01-23-2012, 10:34 PM

NTamm has a great sense of humor. How else would you explain him agreeing to team up with me in the PAIHL not once, but twice?

thaskalos
01-23-2012, 10:42 PM
NTamm has a great sense of humor. How else would you explain him agreeing to team up with me in the PAIHL not once, but twice?

I don't know...glutton for punishment perhaps?

Dahoss9698
01-23-2012, 10:53 PM
I don't know...glutton for punishment perhaps?

Well that goes without saying.

Robert Goren
01-23-2012, 11:25 PM
This good for horse racing. It means that on BC day a network will actually be interested in horse racing. For ESPN/ABC, it was matter trying to fit in between college football games. That's the good news. The bad news is that now there will be one game on at the same time.
I hope they replace Trevor. I can't stand him and his accent. I hope they put someone on without a foreign accent. Why do we have import race callers?

cj
01-24-2012, 12:10 AM

Deputy!

PaceAdvantage
01-24-2012, 12:13 AM
Deputy!I actually like Tom even more because of this call...it still cracks me up...even today... :lol:

Usually I cringe when an announcer makes a faux pax like this, but for some reason, this one just makes me laugh...which is good...

thaskalos
01-24-2012, 12:22 AM
I actually like Tom even more because of this call...it still cracks me up...even today... :lol:

Usually I cringe when an announcer makes a faux pax like this, but for some reason, this one just makes me laugh...which is good...

There you go! :ThmbUp:

We horseplayers go through enough grief playing this game; can't we have a few laughs now and then?

cj
01-24-2012, 12:32 AM
I actually like Tom even more because of this call...it still cracks me up...even today... :lol:

It is really funny...not as good as typing faux pax instead of faux pas, but still...

Seriously though, it is funny! It certainly doesn't diminish Durkin in my mind, he is the standard.

PaceAdvantage
01-24-2012, 12:50 AM
It is really funny...not as good as typing faux pax instead of faux pas, but still...Toushea! :lol:

(Yeah, I know...it's touché)

Grits
01-24-2012, 01:18 AM
I don't kid around often, Grits...you know that. :)

I just happen to think that some topics are less serious than others.

I know you don't kid much, Thask, but when you do, you throw some good ones. Your post here? Truer words never spoken, particularly your last line.

I'd hate living in a body with no sense of humor. I'd hate the gray matter inside my skull having no sense of humor, too. Life would get pretty dull, and I'd not go for that at all. ;)

senortout
01-24-2012, 09:01 AM
What did the Deputy comment refer to? I should probably get this but I seem stumped this time.

FenceBored
01-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Toushea! :lol:

(Yeah, I know...it's touché)

Didn't Mets fans used to say that to each other on game day?

cj
01-24-2012, 09:21 AM
What did the Deputy comment refer to? I should probably get this but I seem stumped this time.

Listen closely to the call in the stretch, around the 2:45 mark.

u8PvZ9WJSTA

BlueShoe
01-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Any predictions as to who the in between race hosts and analysts will be? No Hammerin Hank? :D

smartybadger
01-24-2012, 09:49 AM
I'd be fairly surprised if NBC doesn't let Collmus do it. He nailed all three Triple Crown races and seemed to handle the pressure superbly. It would seem to make sense for NBC to stick with him.

PhantomOnTour
01-24-2012, 09:59 AM
On big days like Br Cup and Triple Crown races they always bring in an announcer for the event, but the track announcer's call is still heard on the track feed.
I remember Johnson at CD picking up Mine That Bird a lot sooner than Durkin...my question is: are there two announcer's booths with two sets of binoculars etc...???
Just wondering how both guys can call the race at the same time.

speed
01-24-2012, 10:51 AM
On big days like Br Cup and Triple Crown races they always bring in an announcer for the event, but the track announcer's call is still heard on the track feed.
I remember Johnson at CD picking up Mine That Bird a lot sooner than Durkin...my question is: are there two announcer's booths with two sets of binoculars etc...???
Just wondering how both guys can call the race at the same time.
Not enough room at Churchill for 2 announcer's booths sooo
Johnson has to get on Durkin's shoulder's and they turn the binoculars on
their side and they each get a lens. Wait for the visual. LOL

cj's dad
01-24-2012, 11:14 AM
I'd be fairly surprised if NBC doesn't let Collmus do it. He nailed all three Triple Crown races and seemed to handle the pressure superbly. It would seem to make sense for NBC to stick with him.

Larry went to the 2nd finest Catholic high school in the Metro Baltimore area, just ask Craig.

Grits
01-24-2012, 01:00 PM

He did, that he did. I hope NBC continues with Larry C. Like you, why would they change when he did such outstanding work on the three biggest days of the year? Really glad, this man got the gig.

Rico8812
01-25-2012, 12:36 AM
Why the F do people on here care so much about the announcer?

Anywho...the way I see it, ESPN said no thanks to racing, and it fell in NBC's lap. Will provide them with content for NBC Sports Network. Just ask the NHL how that worked out for them with Versus.

Just when you thought there couldn't be any less racing on TV...

Dahoss9698
01-25-2012, 12:43 AM

Anywho...the way I see it, ESPN said no thanks to racing, and it fell in NBC's lap. Will provide them with content for NBC Sports Network. Just ask the NHL how that worked out for them with Versus.

Doesn't all of the racing that was on versus this summer sort of throw this theory out the window?

levinmpa
01-25-2012, 07:43 AM
The move to NBC is great news as far as I'm concerned. It's one less reason I have to tune to ESPN, which I despise. Watching racing on ESPN is pure torture with the way they switch camera angles during the race. And not having to endure Hank Goldberg is a bonus as well. I would think Tom Hammond would anchor the show as he has done in past Breeders' Cups for NBC. He's a pro and a has always been involved in racing. As far as the announcer, Durkin was so excellent for so many years, but his voice has lost strength in recent years. If you go back and listen to calls from the late 80's and early 90's and compare them to now, there is a big difference, especially when he needs to project down the stretch. No fault of his. If he gets the job, I will be happy, but I have a feeling they will go with Colmus.

NBC Sports/Versus is good for the game. The coverage at Saratoga was an unexpected surprise last summer, and I'm glad it's going to continue this year and into the Breeders' Cup. I'll be watching without the need to hit the mute button as I had done when ESPN broadcast racing.

jimmy m
01-25-2012, 04:12 PM
My two biggest sports are Hockey and Horse racing and ESPN Does not care about either.I despise ESPN also.I think the poster was referring too the Kentucky Derby.The CD Announcer calls at the track and the simulcast feed while Collmus calls for NBC ON TV.The Breeders Cup brings in there own announcer.Last year at Churchill and at Santa Anita.LC Was making the Announcements and doing all the field intrudcutions and prices while Trevor just calls the races at the track and National TV,LC Calls all the other races those days.

Jasonm921
01-28-2012, 08:58 AM
I think he was trying to say First Dude is desperate but deputy came out. I hope Durkin does do the calls but more than likely they will have Colmus do it. If not give the guy from Louisiana Downs a look.

Jasonm921
01-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Why the F do people on here care so much about the announcer? ..

Name the memorable race calls by Denman in his 5 year period calling the Breeders Cup....compared to ANY 5 year period in which Durkin called the breeders cup. I guarantee people on this board could recite many stretch calls by Durkin but other than "Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Zen...Ba...lame" nobody remembers two words of Denman's calls. that is why it matters. It doesn't help your wallet but it does help the EVENT.

098poi
01-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Name the memorable race calls by Denman in his 5 year period calling the Breeders Cup....compared to ANY 5 year period in which Durkin called the breeders cup. I guarantee people on this board could recite many stretch calls by Durkin but other than "Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Zen...Ba...lame" nobody remembers two words of Denman's calls. that is why it matters. It doesn't help your wallet but it does help the EVENT.

I like this one.
http://youtu.be/5Fd5BBpxCuY

thaskalos
01-28-2012, 10:51 AM

The problem is that we can remember plenty of stammering and confused race calls by Durkin also, in recent years. He clearly is not what he used to be...and to say that he is still "head and shoulders above the rest" -- as some do -- is an obvious exaggeration.

People like to poke fun at Denman's Zenyatta call at the 2010 Classic...but I would take that over Durkin's "Deputy" call anyday.

When we form an opinion about a race caller, we can't just judge him by his "memorable" calls; we have to also consider his stammering and confused calls as well.

And, as I said...Durkin has plenty of those. Denman doesn't.

Valuist
01-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Something doesn't make sense. When ESPN took over, the industry was hailing that as some great event. Now NBC takes over, and its another great event? It either was before and isn't now, or ESPN just sucked.

I'm not sure either have any idea how to cover racing. God knows their camera work is dreadful.

Jasonm921
01-28-2012, 11:27 AM
I like this one.
http://youtu.be/5Fd5BBpxCuY

Weak....

Also has he found Street Sense yet?

Jasonm921
01-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Durkin is to Gehrig as Denman is to Eddie Murray. Both Hall of Famers but at two different levels.

Dahoss9698
01-28-2012, 12:08 PM
The problem is that we can remember plenty of stammering and confused race calls by Durkin also, in recent years. He clearly is not what he used to be...and to say that he is still "head and shoulders above the rest" -- as some do -- is an obvious exaggeration.

People like to poke fun at Denman's Zenyatta call at the 2010 Classic...but I would take that over Durkin's "Deputy" call anyday.

When we form an opinion about a race caller, we can't just judge him by his "memorable" calls; we have to also consider his stammering and confused calls as well.

Denman has no stammering and confused calls? He flat out missed Street Sense in the 2006 Juvenile until about the 8th pole when he was already 6 or 7 lengths in front. He was too focused on the (not so) giant move Circular Quay was making and missed the winner. That's just off the top of my head but I know there are many others.

EDIT- I missed Jason mentioning that call already. :blush:

Denman is too interested in his redundant catch phrases for the biggest stage, which is what the Breeders Cup is. To use one of his phrases....he'd need to sprout wings to ever be in Durkin's league.

thaskalos
01-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Denman has no stammering and confused calls? He flat out missed Street Sense in the 2006 Juvenile until about the 8th pole when he was already 6 or 7 lengths in front. He was too focused on the (not so) giant move Circular Quay was making and missed the winner. That's just off the top of my head but I know there are many others.

You know there are many others, but you just can't think of them right now...

Of course...

For every stammering, confused call of Denman's that you can think of...I can come up with THREE of Durkin's, and I don't have to go back too far to do it.

I can probably find them all in a single, typical, NY racing day. :)

Why don't you pick up James Quinn's book "On Track / Off Track: Playing The Horses In troubled Times"...for a quick assessment of the respective talents of those two race callers.

Of course, what does Quinn know? :rolleyes:

Make no mistake, there are plenty of people out there who consider Denman to be the best race caller this country has ever seen (heard?)...

FenceBored
01-28-2012, 12:47 PM
To be fair, Zenman's not the only one to miss a Borel mount on the lead in a big race:

, Mine That Bird"]Hv8x9x5A49s

thaskalos
01-28-2012, 12:52 PM
To be fair, Zenman's not the only one to miss a Borel mount on the lead in a big race:

, Mine That Bird"]Hv8x9x5A49s
Oh...c'mon FB...

Mine That Bird was only three lengths in front...how did you expect Durkin to see him? :)

Dahoss9698
01-28-2012, 12:59 PM
You know there are many others, but you just can't think of them right now...

Of course...

For every stammering, confused call of Denman's that you can think of...I can come up with THREE of Durkin's, and I don't have to go back too far to do it.

I can probably find them all in a single, typical, NY racing day. :)

Why don't you pick up James Quinn's book "On Track / Off Track: Playing The Horses In troubled Times"...for a quick assessment of the respective talents of those two race callers.

Of course, what does Quinn know? :rolleyes:

Make no mistake, there are plenty of people out there who consider Denman to be the best race caller this country has ever seen (heard?)...

You'll have to excuse me. I'm busy betting right now (silly me), but later on when I have more time, I'll provide you with more examples.

I'm sure there are people who think Denman is the best. There are a lot of poor opinions out there. Hell, some people even think Zenyatta is the best horse ever. Imagine lunacy like that? :lol:

thaskalos
01-28-2012, 01:05 PM
You'll have to excuse me. I'm busy betting right now (silly me), but later on when I have more time, I'll provide you with more examples.

I'm sure there are people who think Denman is the best. There are a lot of poor opinions out there. Hell, some people even think Zenyatta is the best horse ever. Imagine lunacy like that? :lol:
Do your work and don't let me be a bother to you. I'm only fooling around...

Both Durkin and Denman have made mistakes...it's just that Denman SOUNDS better, even when he is making them.

He has a steady, continuous cadence...and doesn't stammer, like Durkin does.

cj
01-28-2012, 01:39 PM

You are joking, right? There have plenty of threads of Denman calling the wrong horse, or renaming horses, or missing them entirely. It happens to them all, we just notice those at the big tracks more.

Both are past their best these days. There is nothing wrong with that, but I'd take Durkin over Denman. His best calls are great, while Trevor's...not so much. All of that is just my opinion, of course.

Tom
01-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Collmus = continuity

cj
01-28-2012, 01:44 PM
I'll add that Trevor likes to impose his thoughts about what is likely to happen, when often, it does not. I'd much rather he just call what is actually happening.

On a similar note, hopefully Durkin has stopped labeling opening 1/4 miles as scintillating, breath taking, scorching, etc. since he really doesn't put the times in context to the course and condition of the track. He looked really silly when he was doing that and horses kept going wire to wire. He does the same in reverse for yielding turf courses. Fractional times are best reported without adjectives.

cj
01-28-2012, 01:46 PM
All that said, I vote for Collmus of course.

thaskalos
01-28-2012, 01:54 PM
You are joking, right? There have plenty of threads of Denman calling the wrong horse, or renaming horses, or missing them entirely. It happens to them all, we just notice those at the big tracks more.

Both are past their best these days. There is nothing wrong with that, but I'd take Durkin over Denman. His best calls are great, while Trevor's...not so much. All of that is just my opinion, of course.
Let me ask you a question, CJ...

Right now...who is the better race caller, Durkin or Denman?

I know that they are both past their prime...but we still have people on this very site who proclaim that, even NOW, Durkin is "head and shoulders above anybody else"...a ridiculous exaggeration, IMO.

I bet NY every day...and, IMO, Durkin's calls lack the fluidity that they had in the past. There are awkward pauses in his race calls that shouldn't be there...if we are to call him "head and shoulders above the rest".

The race caller's cadence should be steady and fluid...and Durkin often appears lost out there.

Why is it OK to criticize all the other race callers...but when the criticism is pointed at Durkin, it is interpreted as blasphemy?

cj
01-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Let me ask you a question, CJ...

Right now...who is the better race caller, Durkin or Denman?

I know that they are both past their prime...but we still have people on this very site who proclaim that, even NOW, Durkin is "head and shoulders above anybody else"...a ridiculous exaggeration, IMO.

I bet NY every day...and, IMO, Durkin's calls lack the fluidity that they had in the past. There are awkward pauses in his race calls that shouldn't be there...if we are to call him "head and shoulders above the rest".

The race caller's cadence should be steady and fluid...and Durkin often appears lost out there.

Why is it OK to criticize all the other race callers...but when the criticism is pointed at Durkin, it is interpreted as blasphemy?

I honestly can't answer that because I don't watch enough SoCal racing any longer. When I was, I know Trevor was slipping up a lot. He did have a better flow, but who cares if he makes mistakes while "flowing".

I agree that Durkin is not the same caller these days. I've never said he was head and shoulders above the rest. I think he was the best in his prime. As I said, I think he is the standard by which others should be judged. He isn't the same caller today, no doubt. I've certainly criticized his calls in the past. Hell, I just did it a few posts ago, so I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Dahoss9698
01-28-2012, 02:06 PM

I love when you add these little touches to a post.

Beachbabe
01-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Imbriale is even better than Denman.

thaskalos
01-28-2012, 03:23 PM
I've certainly criticized his calls in the past. Hell, I just did it a few posts ago, so I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

When Denman messes up a call we ridicule him.

But when Durkin does it -- like in the 'deputy' case -- we laugh, but we "end up liking him even more" because of it...and we don't let it "diminish him in our eyes"...

Just saying...

Dahoss9698
01-28-2012, 03:34 PM
When Denman messes up a call we ridicule him.

But when Durkin does it -- like in the 'deputy' case -- we laugh, but we "end up liking him even more" because of it...and we don't let it "diminish him in our eyes"...

Just saying...

This is all an act right? Has to be.

thaskalos
01-28-2012, 03:42 PM
This is all an act right? Has to be.
It's been a slow day... :)

thespaah
01-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Why would they replace Trevor Zenman?
Denman is/was under contract to Disney( ABC/ESPN)....
Durkin is/was under contract to NBCU....
Tom D is no longer doing the TC races all on NBCU, so we'll just have to see who does the race calls for the network.

PaceAdvantage
01-30-2012, 12:34 AM
When Denman messes up a call we ridicule him.Come on man, they ALL get ridiculed! Are you saying there are no posts on here criticizing Durkin? Are you claiming I delete all the bad Durkin threads/posts?

Really?

The opinions some have formulated on the way this board operates are truly mind boggling at times.

It's as if there are only 5-10 of us posting on here...or at least that's all some seem to pay attention to, and then use that small sample to form their opinion of the entire board as a whole...

Weird...

thespaah
01-30-2012, 12:35 AM
Didn't Mets fans used to say that to each other on game day?
Yes...then they'd beat you with those dopey plastic air horns....LOL!!!

thespaah
01-30-2012, 12:40 AM

It's part of the show. That's why.
For the first time since it went on the air, ESPN now has direct competition from another national all sports network. NBCSN is in the process of wresting programming away from ESPN that network has until now had a virtual lock.
Where's the problem?

thaskalos
01-30-2012, 02:40 AM
Come on man, they ALL get ridiculed! Are you saying there are no posts on here criticizing Durkin? Are you claiming I delete all the bad Durkin threads/posts?

Really?

The opinions some have formulated on the way this board operates are truly mind boggling at times.

It's as if there are only 5-10 of us posting on here...or at least that's all some seem to pay attention to, and then use that small sample to form their opinion of the entire board as a whole...

Weird...

PA...allow me to ask you two questions:

Was Durkin's call of the 2010 Belmont Stakes a "professional" race call?

If we didn't know that it was Tom Durkin making it...what would we say about the race caller then?

I am not just talking about the "deputy" comment; he messed up TOTALLY as the horses got close to the wire. And that wasn't all...

This was his comment a half-mile into the race:

"First Dude settles into that powerful stride of his, stretching those long legs...furlong after powerful furlong"...

We should not condemn a man just because of a blown race call...but to say that "we like him even more because of it"?

To declare, as two other very well-respected members of this board did, that..."it was not a great call...but it was still very solid"?

I am not forming any opinions about the board as a whole...I am just saying that some very prominent members of this board display a very peculiar form of objectivity when it comes to Tom Durkin...and I find it quite amusing.

I am as big a fan of Trevor Denman as you are ever likely to find...but I would never say that he, in his current form, is head and shoulders above the rest of the race callers...nor would I say that his call of the 2010 BC Classic caused me to "like him even more"...

PaceAdvantage
01-30-2012, 03:23 AM
Look, I'm flattered you seem to be fixating on my opinion of Durkin's Belmont call, I really am. But it's just an opinion. You disagree with it, and that's fine. I have no problem with that.

Durkin blew the Belmont call in a huge way...who is disputing that? How CAN ANYONE dispute that? All you have to do is listen to it...

BUT, it was so bad, it was good...at least to me...because it was hilarious...maybe it's my odd sense of humor...who knows...

You're acting in this thread as if there is some hidden conspiracy going on to protect Tom's good name...as if we're all his relatives...as if we're all ignoring how bad the 2010 Belmont call was...we're not...we all know it was bad...

They're just opinions. And there are any number of people on this board who have expressed their displeasure with Durkin's calls...some have even written that they have NEVER liked the guy...

But the bottom line is this: there are many of us on here like myself who cut our racing teeth on Durkin's calls...and to us, like it or not, he set the bar for all announcers who came after him. Many of his Breeders' Cup and major stakes calls are LEGENDARY and have become almost as big a part of the sport as the horses doing the running...he was THAT talented at making himself a PART of the race. Unlike many of his peers, he was NOT just a guy in a booth far removed from the action...to fans like me, he was RIGHT THERE, a VITAL and NECESSARY component...it just wasn't the same without him.

Thus, when he makes a mistake nowadays as the sun begins to set on his career, many of us find it very EASY to forgive him, or laugh it off, because he was THAT GOOD during his prime...a LEGEND...he's earned that right...he's earned that pass we're giving him...hopefully, you can understand this mindset...not unlike a major league sports star who is in the twilight of his career, but still gets those standing ovations because the fans appreciate all he has done and all that he means to the sport.

thaskalos
01-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Look, I'm flattered you seem to be fixating on my opinion of Durkin's Belmont call, I really am. But it's just an opinion. You disagree with it, and that's fine. I have no problem with that.

Durkin blew the Belmont call in a huge way...who is disputing that? How CAN ANYONE dispute that? All you have to do is listen to it...

BUT, it was so bad, it was good...at least to me...because it was hilarious...maybe it's my odd sense of humor...who knows...

You're acting in this thread as if there is some hidden conspiracy going on to protect Tom's good name...as if we're all his relatives...as if we're all ignoring how bad the 2010 Belmont call was...we're not...we all know it was bad...

They're just opinions. And there are any number of people on this board who have expressed their displeasure with Durkin's calls...some have even written that they have NEVER liked the guy...

But the bottom line is this: there are many of us on here like myself who cut our racing teeth on Durkin's calls...and to us, like it or not, he set the bar for all announcers who came after him. Many of his Breeders' Cup and major stakes calls are LEGENDARY and have become almost as big a part of the sport as the horses doing the running...he was THAT talented at making himself a PART of the race. Unlike many of his peers, he was NOT just a guy in a booth far removed from the action...to fans like me, he was RIGHT THERE, a VITAL and NECESSARY component...it just wasn't the same without him.

Thus, when he makes a mistake nowadays as the sun begins to set on his career, many of us find it very EASY to forgive him, or laugh it off, because he was THAT GOOD during his prime...a LEGEND...he's earned that right...he's earned that pass we're giving him...hopefully, you can understand this mindset...not unlike a major league sports star who is in the twilight of his career, but still gets those standing ovations because the fans appreciate all he has done and all that he means to the sport.

Very dramatic...:ThmbUp:

I stand corrected! I thought he was just a race announcer...

Forgive me for even bringing it up.

rastajenk
01-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Denman is/was under contract to Disney( ABC/ESPN)....

I thought he was contracted to Breeders Cup.

FenceBored
01-30-2012, 09:27 AM

Trevor Denman, the longtime Southern California racecaller, has been hired by ESPN to call the races for its 2006 Breeders' Cup telecast ...
-- http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=2576473

Dahoss9698
01-30-2012, 11:15 AM

Well said. I'm one of those guys that cut my racing teeth listening to Durkin and to this day I still gets goose bumps when I hear the call of the 1994 Travers, or 2001 Breeders Cup Classic. In his prime, Durkin set the standard for what I think racecalling is all about. He described the situations perfectly and while he added drama, he did it when the situation called for it.

Here's a great example of what he meant to the Breeders Cup as a whole, excuse the background music though. IMO, number 9 should have been much, much higher ;) .

sv4STkINHQg

JimG
01-30-2012, 11:25 AM
I think Durkin and Denman in their prime were both fantastic. They had different styles but both could really add something to a good horse race, in their prime.

Unfortunately, father time has caught up with both of them and they make mistakes that I doubt either would have made 15 years ago. When these miscues occur on the big stage everyone notices. That's just the way it is.

I think it is time to turn attention to the next wave of race callers for the big stage. Larry Collmus certainly fits that stage. Some like Vic Stauffer's somewhat enthusiastic calls and I have enjoyed the low key approach of Kurt Becker. Others enjoy Michael Wrona.

My guess is Collmus will be tapped, if he hasn't already, to call the big tv events in the future. I think he has a good mix of giving a correct call with some enthusiasm without going overboard.

Jim

Jasonm921
01-30-2012, 04:55 PM
That video says it all....epic!!!

As far as new blood...the kid from Louisiana Downs deserves a listen.

Jasonm921
01-30-2012, 05:01 PM
1987 Classic and the 1989 Classic will always be known as epic Durkin calls. But there were so many more that could be brought up. How many can we say for Trevor. To be fair one of Denman's great calls was one that very few have heard...1989 Preakness track feed.

thespaah
01-30-2012, 05:17 PM
PA...allow me to ask you two questions:

Was Durkin's call of the 2010 Belmont Stakes a "professional" race call?

If we didn't know that it was Tom Durkin making it...what would we say about the race caller then?

I am not just talking about the "deputy" comment; he messed up TOTALLY as the horses got close to the wire. And that wasn't all...

This was his comment a half-mile into the race:

"First Dude settles into that powerful stride of his, stretching those long legs...furlong after powerful furlong"...

We should not condemn a man just because of a blown race call...but to say that "we like him even more because of it"?

To declare, as two other very well-respected members of this board did, that..."it was not a great call...but it was still very solid"?

I am not forming any opinions about the board as a whole...I am just saying that some very prominent members of this board display a very peculiar form of objectivity when it comes to Tom Durkin...and I find it quite amusing.

I am as big a fan of Trevor Denman as you are ever likely to find...but I would never say that he, in his current form, is head and shoulders above the rest of the race callers...nor would I say that his call of the 2010 BC Classic caused me to "like him even more"...
I think you believe you have gone into this too much and are projecting as a way to get yourself out.
Just consider it a dead issue and let it go.
You have your opinions and others have theirs. Don't over analyse.

thespaah
01-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Perhaps that is correct. Nevertheless, the point is Durkin was/is under contract to NBCU.

thespaah
01-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Well said. I'm one of those guys that cut my racing teeth listening to Durkin and to this day I still gets goose bumps when I hear the call of the 1994 Travers, or 2001 Breeders Cup Classic. In his prime, Durkin set the standard for what I think racecalling is all about. He described the situations perfectly and while he added drama, he did it when the situation called for it.

Here's a great example of what he meant to the Breeders Cup as a whole, excuse the background music though. IMO, number 9 should have been much, much higher ;) .

sv4STkINHQg
When Durkin took over the mic at the Meadowlands I was like "who is this guy?"
Since I was a regular at the Big M, Durkin's style and delivery quickly grew on me. I knew he would be on to the big time ( NY or So Cal racing circuit) soon enough.
When did Marshall Cassidy leave the booth? 1987 or so? The rest as they say is history.

Dahoss9698
01-30-2012, 08:46 PM
That video says it all....epic!!!

As far as new blood...the kid from Louisiana Downs deserves a listen.

Agreed, Travis is very good. Hopefully we'll be seeing him on the national stage in the next few years.

PaceAdvantage
01-31-2012, 06:11 AM
Very dramatic...:ThmbUp:

I stand corrected! I thought he was just a race announcer...

Forgive me for even bringing it up.Let me guess...you're being sarcastic here...that's ok...like I said, it's only one man's opinion...I would be disappointed if you were this easy to sway in reality... :lol:

thaskalos
01-31-2012, 08:12 PM
Let me guess...you're being sarcastic here...that's ok...like I said, it's only one man's opinion...I would be disappointed if you were this easy to sway in reality... :lol:
You are right my friend...I was being sarcastic.

But I have thought about it a little longer...and you are absolutely right -- and I am wrong.

Without realising it, I seem to have turned into the same, cynical, hardened horseplayer-type that I used to detest.

There is nothing wrong with paying homage to a legend...who just happens to be a little past his prime.

As you may know...thaskalos is the Greek word for "teacher"...

You just taught the "teacher" a thing or two...and I thank you. :ThmbUp: